50 LUCTON (C.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XI, N.E., (b)XII, N.W.)
Lucton is a small parish 5 m. N.W. of Leominster
Lucton School is the principal monument.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Peter stands near the
middle of the parish. It was entirely re-built on the
old foundations in 1850, and consists of a chancel
(14¾ ft. by 14 ft.) and a nave (37 ft. by 19¼ ft.). It
contains from the old church the following:—
Fittings—Bells: two, inaccessible. Chair: In
chancel—with turned front legs, shaped arms, panelled
back and shaped top, early 17th-century. Chest:
In vestry—plain hutch-type, with three strap-hinges
and two lock-plates, internal division made of part of
a carved panel re-used, late 17th-century. Communion
Table: In vestry—with turned legs and stretchers,
moulded top rail with shaped brackets, early to mid
17th-century. Monument: In chancel—on S. wall, to
John Pierrepont, 1711, white marble tablet (Plate 69)
with gadrooned cornice, flanking scrolled brackets,
apron and shaped pediment supporting two putti and
an urn, shield-of-arms on pediment.
b(2). Lucton School, 350 yards N. of the church,
was founded and built by John Pierrepont in 1708.
It is a rectangular structure of two storeys with attics
and with two wings projecting towards the S.; the
walls are of brick and the roofs are slate-covered. It
has been little altered except that the end of the S.E.
wing has been re-built and extended.
The structure is an interesting example of its period
The N. Front (Plate 148) is symmetrically designed
with a slightly projecting central bay and with rusticated
quoins of stone. The hipped roof has an eaves-cornice
with a pediment over the central bay and two dormer-windows. The central doorway has a wooden semidomed hood resting on carved and scrolled brackets;
above the doorway is a niche with a nearly life-size
statue of the founder erected after his death in 1711.
In the pediment is a clock-face painted with the Pierrepont crest and the initials and date I.P. 1708; the clock
is set in a scrolled frame. The windows have flush
frames and sashes. The chimney-stack has a stone
capping and brackets. The eaves-cornice is continued
round the E. and W. fronts, and on the E. chimney-stack is a re-set panel inscribed "Ex sumptibus Johannis
Pierrepont." The central bell-turret, of wood, is
square with arched openings, cornice and ogee-shaped
capping with a weather-vane dated 1708; it contains
one bell. Inside the building, the entrance-hall is
lined with original panelling and has a fireplace with
a moulded surround. In the hall is a contemporary
portrait of the founder with a view of the school in the
background; there is also a 15th-century shield-of-arms, probably of Vaughan of Wigmore, and said to
have come from the church. The N.E. room and the
dining-room have panelling similar to that in the hall,
and the headmaster's room has bolection-moulded
panelling. The staircase has turned balusters, moulded
strings and a panelled dado. The rooms on the first
floor have panelled doors and dados.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed and with tiled or slate-covered roofs.
All of the buildings have exposed external framing and
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(3). Lucton Court, 100 yards S.S.E. of the church, is
of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the
E. and S. The E. wing was built in the 16th century,
and part of the S. wing was added in stone early in the
17th century. The higher timber-framed part of the
S. wing is a later 17th-century addition. In the E.
wing is an original fireplace with a moulded head.
b(4). Cottage (Plate 27), 20 yards S. of the church,
was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century on
a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the E. end.
The roofs are thatched.
b(5). Cottage (Plate 33), 10 yards E. of (4), has a
b(6). Old Vicarage, cottage, 50 yards E. of the church,
is the surviving wing of a larger building. The upper
storey projects at the W. end.
b(7). Cottage, 20 yards N. of the church.
b(8). Cottage, immediately W. of (7).
b(9). Shop House, 40 yards W. of the church, has a
later brick extension at the N. end. Inside the building
is an original door with ornamental strap-hinges.
b(10). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, ¼ m. N.W.
of the church, has a thatched roof.
a(11). Cottage, 200 yards N.N.W. of (10), has a
b(12). Stocking Farm, house, 700 yards E. of the
church, is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the
N. end. The cross-wing is perhaps of mediæval date,
and the S. wing was added in the 16th century and
extended in the 17th century.