53 MANSELL GAMAGE (C.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXXIII, N.E.)
Mansell Gamage is a small parish 8 m. W.N.W. of
Hereford. The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of St. Giles (Plate 8) stands in
the S.E. corner of the parish. The walls are of local
sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material;
the roofs are covered with stone slates. The Nave dates
probably from the 12th century, to which period belongs
the S. doorway. The South Transept was added probably early in the 14th century, and the Chancel was
re-built at some uncertain date. The South Porch was
added in the 14th century. The West Tower was
added in 1824 and the North Transept in 1877, when the
building was drastically restored and the chancel-arch
Architectural Description—The Chancel (21½ ft. by
18½ ft.) has now no ancient features.
The Church, Plan
The Nave (47½ ft. by 20 ft.) has no ancient features
in the N. wall. In the S. wall is a modern arch, and
further W. a window of c. 1300 and of two trefoiled
lights; the 12th-century S. doorway has roll-moulded
jambs and round head with a hollow-chamfered label
enriched with billet-ornament.
The South Transept (15½ ft. by 7½ ft.) has, in the S.
wall, an early 14th-century window of three plain
lights, the two outer pointed and with the mullions
carried up to the three-centred head to form the
The South Porch is of the 14th century, considerably
restored; it is timber-framed on dwarf stone walls.
The outer archway is formed by curved braces below
the tie-beam; above the tie-beam are cusped struts
forming, with the rafters, a quatrefoil and two trefoils.
The barge-boards are cusped; sub-cusped and panelled.
Against the N. wall is a similar truss, and in the middle
is a pair of cusped principals; the wind-braces are also
The Roof of the chancel is of trussed-rafter type, and
probably of 13th or 14th-century date.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st by John Palmer of
Gloucester, 1671; 3rd by H. Williams of Brecon, 1693.
Coffin-lid (Plate 47): In chancel—against N. wall, tapering slab with elaborate sunk cross-head in circle and
similarly enriched foiled base to stem, late 13th-century.
Communion Table: with heavy turned legs and enriched
top rails with shaped brackets, early 17th-century.
Floor-slabs: In nave—(1) to Edith, widow of John
Gwillim, 1675, and another later; (2) to Margaret,
widow of Tamberline Gwillim, 1675; (3) to Elizabeth
Hords, 1666, and Grace Hords, 1668; (4) to John
Hords, c. 1700; (5) to Thomas Geers, 1701, with
shield-of-arms; (6) to Amy, widow of Charles
Kingston, 1680; (7) to . . ., 1675. In S. transept—
(8) to Elizabeth, wife of Francis Geers, 1700. Plate:
includes a 17th-century cup and cover-paten.
Condition—Good, much altered.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed and with stone slate, slate or tile-covered
roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed external
timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(2). Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 170 yards
N.N.W. of the church, was built probably early in the
18th century, and has a thatched roof.
(3). Minor Farm, house, 80 yards N. of (2), was built
late in the 16th or early in the 17th century, and is of
H-shaped plan with the cross-wings at the N. and S.
ends. The timber-framing is almost completely
(4). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 300 yards N.
of the church, has a thatched roof. The windows on
the W. side are slightly projecting bays of five and three
lights respectively, with moulded mullions.
(5). Cottage (Plate 33), 90 yards N.N.W. of (4), has
a thatched roof.
(6). Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 40 yards W.
of (5), has a thatched roof.
(7). Scut Mill, house and mill, 1,000 yards W.N.W.
of the church. The House (Plate 22) has a projecting
wing on the W. side and part of the E. side has been
refronted in stone. The Mill, E. of the house, is now
used as a workshop and store; the E. wall is of stone.
The mill-wheel is on the S. side of the building.
(8). The Old Barn, cottage and barn, 1,160 yards
N.N.E. of the church. The House incorporates some
earlier timbers in the walls. The Barn, N.E. of the
house, is weather-boarded and has a roof of queen-post
(9). Cottage, at Shetton, 820 yards E.N.E. of the
church, has been refronted in stone and partly weather-boarded.
(10). Lower Shetton, cottage, 1,520 yards N.E. of the
church, has been partly refronted in stone and otherwise
N.B.—For Offa's Dyke, see p. xxx.