54 MANSELL LACY (C.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXV, S.E., (b)XXXII, N.E.)
Mansell Lacy is a parish 6½ m. N.W. of Hereford.
The church is the principal monument.
Mansell Lacy, the Parish Church of St Michael
a(1). Parish Church of St. Michael (Plate 8) stands
near the middle of the parish. The walls are of local
sandstone rubble and rough ashlar and the dressings
are of the same material; the roofs are tiled. The Nave
dates from the first half of the 12th century, but the
only feature of this date now in position is the N.
doorway. In the 13th century the Chancel was re-built,
the S. arcade built and the South Aisle added; the nave
was perhaps lengthened at the same time. Early in
the 14th century the E. wall of the chancel was re-built
and the West Tower added. The South Porch was built
in the 15th century. The church was restored about
1861–2 and the North Vestry and organ-chamber was
added in 1879.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (32 ft. by
15½ ft.) has an early 14th-century E. window of three
plain pointed lights with the mullions carried up to the
two-centred head to form the middle light; the external
stonework is enriched with ball-flower ornament, as is
the upper part of the window internally. In the N.
wall are two late 13th-century windows each of two
trefoiled lights and the eastern with a pierced lozenge-shaped spandrel above; further W. is a modern
opening. In the S. wall are three windows, the
easternmost is similar to the eastern window in the N.
wall, and the two westernmost are similar to the western
window in the N. wall; in the W. splay of the westernmost window is a squint with a moulded lintel;
between the western windows is a late 13th-century
doorway, now blocked, it has chamfered jambs and
two-centred head. The 13th-century chancel-arch is
two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the outer
continuous and the inner resting on attached semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals. The North
Vestry is modern but incorporates a late 13th or
early 14th-century two-light window partly of old
The Nave (40¾ ft. by 16½ ft.) has, in the N. wall, two
windows all modern except the rear-arch of the eastern;
the early 12th-century N. doorway is now blocked and
partly covered by a modern buttress; it has a plain W.
jamb and hollow chamfered impost supporting the flat
lintel. At the W. end of the walls is a projection
containing the stairway to the tower; the doorway
has chamfered jambs and shouldered head, and in the
outer wall is a square-headed window. The 13th-century S. arcade has two-centred arches of two
chamfered orders, springing from octagonal columns
and semi-octagonal responds stopped out to a square
at the base, with unusual moulded stops and having
moulded capitals and square plinths; E. of the arcade
is an opening with a lintelled head carried on corbelling; projecting from the N. face of the lintel is a
corbel with a grotesque beast-head, formerly a gargoyle
or spout and with a roll in its mouth; it probably
supported the front beam of the former rood-loft.
The South Aisle (10½ ft. wide) has, in the E. wall, a
late 13th-century window of three grouped and trefoiled
lights; the sill is recessed for an altar. In the S. wall
are three late 13th-century windows each of two
trefoiled lights; the re-set early 12th-century S. doorway has plain jambs and moulded corbels supporting
the plain lintel which has the lower part of a plain
round-headed panel cut in it to form a tympanum;
the upper part is missing; in the wall above are two
carved corbels re-set, and higher up a re-set carved
gargoyle; they appear to have formed part of a 12th-century corbel-table. In the W. wall is a late 13th-century window of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil
above. On the gables of the aisle are re-set two old
The West Tower (10½ ft. square) is of early 14th-century date and of three stages with a pyramidal roof.
In the E. wall of the ground stage is a modern doorway and above it is a 13th-century lancet-window,
formerly lighting the nave. In the S. wall is a doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head;
above it, and extending to the nave-wall, is a weathered
stone hood supported on three corbels. In the N.
wall is a small square-headed light. In the W. wall
is a similar but larger window. The second stage has,
in the S. wall, a window of one trefoiled ogee light.
The bell-chamber has, in the E. and N. walls, a window
of one trefoiled light; the other walls have each a
window of two trefoiled ogee lights; the head of the
S. window is modern.
The South Porch is of the 15th century, and has an
outer archway with chamfered jambs and two-centred
The Roof of the chancel is of the 15th century and of
trussed-rafter type, having three moulded soffit-ribs
and moulded wall-plates. The 13th or 14th-century
roof of the nave is of simple trussed rafter type. The
restored 15th-century roof of the S. porch is of two
bays and of trussed rafter type; the main timbers are
moulded and the wall-plates are embattled in addition.
Fittings—Bells: four; 1st by John Martin, 1618;
2nd and 4th 1671, probably both by William Clibury,
whose initials appear on the 4th; 3rd probably 17th-century but with no founder's mark. Brackets: In
chancel—near E. end on side-walls, two moulded
brackets, 12th-century material, re-set. Churchyard
Cross (Plate 46): S. of church—octagonal base with
trefoiled niche in W. face, four octagonal steps, 14th-century, shaft modern. Coffin-lid: Re-used as lintel of
S. doorway of tower, with moulded panel and sprigged
stem perhaps of cross, 12th or 13th-century. Font
(Plate 55): plain cylindrical bowl with moulded stem and
chamfered base, probably late 12th-century. Glass: In
S. aisle—in E. window, small shield of Burgh, probably
14th-century. Locker: In S. aisle—in N. wall, rectangular with rebated reveals, mediæval. Monuments and
Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to
William Traunter, 1691, stone tablet (Plate 67) with
moulded frame, scrolled surround, apron, achievement
and two shields-of-arms; on S. wall, (2) to Samuel,
1675–6 and Simeon, 1676, sons of Simon Traunter,
stone tablet (Plate 69) with scrolls, curved and scrolled
pediment with two reclining putti, apron and cartouche-of-arms. Floor-slabs: In or near porch—(1) to Anne,
widow of Thomas (?) Duppa (?), 1710, with defaced
lozenge-of-arms; (2) dated 1697, inscription defaced.
Piscina: In S. aisle—in S. wall, recess with chamfered
jambs and two-centred head, cinque-foiled drain in
projecting sill, late 13th-century. Sedilia: In chancel—
sill of S.E. window carried down to form seat. In S.
aisle—recess with chamfered jambs and two-centred
head, probably late 13th-century. Stoup: In S.
porch—projecting bowl, semi-octagonal externally,
with slight recess at back, mediæval. Miscellanea:
In S. aisle—over S. doorway, corbel carved with
b(2). Moat, 100 yards S.E. of the church, is partly
wet and encloses an oval island rising about 4 ft. above
the surrounding ground.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed, and with tile or stone-slate covered
roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed external
timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
a(3). Cottage and Post Office, at the N.E. corner of
the road, 80 yards N. of the church, has a later addition
on the N.
a(4). Farmhouse, 150 yards N.W. of the church, has a
rather later addition on the S.E.
a(5). House, on the N. side of the stream, 170 yards
W.S.W. of the church, is perhaps of mediæval origin.
It is of rectangular plan; the lower storey is of close-set timber-framing and the upper in large squares.
Inside the building is an original moulded ceiling-beam.
a(6). House (Plate 20), two tenements, 20 yards W.
of (5), has an E. wing, perhaps of 15th or early 16th-century date; the middle part of the house is probably
a 17th-century rebuilding and there is an 18th-century
extension on the W. The upper storey of the E. wing
projects on the S. and E. sides on curved angle brackets;
the framing is close-set in both storeys, and at the S.
end the side panels of the upper storey have diagonal
b(7). Cottage, on the S.E. side of the road, 120 yards
S.W. of the church, was built probably early in the
18th century. The roofs are slate-covered.
b(8). Maklins, house, on the N.W. side of the road,
400 yards S.W. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with
the wings extending towards the N. and E. The
southern part of the house is probably an early 18th-century extension.
b(9). House, 50 yards S.S.W. of (8), has an early
18th-century addition at the N. end.
b(10). Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 110 yards
S.S.W. of (9), is of late 17th or early 18th-century date.
a(11). Cottage, on the N.E. side of the lane at Westmoor, 1 m. W. of the church, is of late 17th or early