56 MONKLAND (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XIX, N.W.)
Monkland is a small parish 3 m. S.W. of Leominster.
The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands on the
E. side of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material and
tufa; the roofs are tiled. A cell of the Benedictine
abbey of Conches (Normandy) was founded here late
in the 11th century, and to this date probably belonged
the nave of the church. The existing West Tower
and the former chancel were added probably at the end
of the 13th century. The South Porch was added in
the 14th century. The Chancel and Nave were re-built
in 1856 with the re-use of old material, and the spire was
added at the same time.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (25½ ft. by
18 ft.) has no ancient features.
The Church, Plan
The Nave (45 ft. by 17¼ ft.) has re-set in the N. wall
four windows, the easternmost is of late 13th-century
date partly restored and of two pointed lights with a
plain spandrel under a slightly trefoiled and moulded
label; the second and third windows are single round-headed lights of late 11th-century date with tufa
dressings; the partly restored 14th-century westernmost window is of one trefoiled light with a moulded
label and much re-used tufa in the splays. In the S.
wall are four re-set windows, the easternmost is of
c. 1300 and of two trefoiled lights with a foiled spandrel
under a two-centred label; the second and fourth
windows are uniform with the 11th-century windows
opposite; the third window is of c. 1300 and of two
trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil under a trefoiled and
moulded label; the S. doorway, also of c. 1300, has
moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label; the tufa
splays are perhaps of the 11th century.
The West Tower (16¼ ft. square) (Plate 129) is of
late 13th-century date and of three storeys with a plain
corbelled cornice at the top and a timber broach-spire.
The two-centred tower-arch is of two chamfered orders,
the outer continued down the jambs and the inner
interrupted by moulded capitals. In the W. wall is a
window of one trefoiled light with a moulded label.
The second storey has, in the N., S. and W. walls, a
plain square-headed light. The third storey has, in
each wall, a lancet-window with a label.
The South Porch is of the 14th century, timber-framed
on modern dwarf stone walls. The outer archway is
formed by the angle-posts with a tie-beam and curved
braces forming a two-centred arch. The sides have
each four open lights of which the sills and mullions
only are old.
The Roof of the nave is of trussed-rafter type and of
mediæval date; the lower parts of the moulded wall-plates are of the 14th century.
Fittings—Bells: four; 3rd with inscription and
fleur-de-lis, no date, probably 17th-century. Font:
plain round bowl tapering towards the base, 12th or
13th-century. Glass: In nave—in tracery of N.E.
window, vine-foliage and a crowned man's head,
14th-century; in S.E. window, roundel with vinefoliage, 14th-century. In tower—in W. window of
second storey, fragments of leaves, drapery, etc., 15th-century. Monuments: In tower—on N. wall, (1) to
William Bedford, A.M., minister of the church, 1689,
Margaret his wife, 1689, and Margaret, their daughter,
wife of Thomas Bedford, 1690, tablet with frame,
scrolls, hand, pediment and vase; (2) to William
Norgrave, 1714, tablet with scrolled border, cherub-head and shield-of-arms. Piscinæ: In chancel—round
drain on sill, in double recess with completely restored
heads. In nave—in sill of S.E. window, round drain.
Sedilia: in range with piscina, two bays with entirely
restored trefoiled heads. Tiles: In nave—slip-tiles
with eagles, the arms of Beauchamp, etc.
Condition—Good, largely re-built.
(2). Manor Farm, house and outbuildings, 60 yards
S.S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
timber-framed and with tiled roofs. The middle part
of the house fronting S. formed the hall and E. cross-wing of a mediæval building perhaps of the 15th
century. Early in the 17th century a large extension
was made on the W. and N. and late in the same or
early in the following century the main block was
extended towards the E. Much of the N. and S.
sides and the W. end have been faced in brick. Some
of the timber-framing is exposed, and near the S.W.
angle is a moulded 17th-century beam. Inside the
building, some of the ceiling-beams are exposed and
one of the rooms has some 17th-century panelling.
The staircase is partly of the 17th century and has turned
balusters, moulded grip-handrail, and square moulded
newels. The original hall has a central roof-truss with
rudimentary hammer-beams and curved braces. Two
rooms on the first floor have 17th-century panelling,
and one of these has an overmantel with three arcaded
The Outbuilding, N.E. of the house, is timber-framed
and probably of early 18th-century date. The Barn
and loft, W. of the church, is timber-framed, and
probably of the 17th century.
Condition—Of house, poor.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed, and with tile or slate-covered roofs.
Most of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
(3). House, 90 yards N.W. of the church, is of
irregular plan with wings projecting E. and W. of the
main block. The S. wing is faced with later brickwork.
(4). Cottage, two tenements, on the S. side of the
road, 110 yards W. of the church, has a thatched roof.
Two crutch-trusses at the E. end indicate that the
building is of mediæval origin.
(5). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 90 yards
W.S.W. of (4), was built perhaps early in the 18th
(6). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, 50 yards
S.W. of (5).
(7). Yew Tree Farm, house and outbuildings, 60 yards
W. of (6). The House has a thatched roof and is
continued westwards as a barn of five bays. Inside
the house the newel staircase retains an original newel
with a moulded terminal. The Cider-Mill and store,
E. of the house, are perhaps of 17th-century origin.
(8). House, formerly New Inn, on the S. side of the
road, 460 yards W.S.W. of the church, was largely
re-built in the 18th century, but the back wing may be of
(9). Range of three tenements, 150 yards W. of (8),
was built probably early in the 18th century.
(10). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, 730 yards
W.S.W. of the church, has a thatched roof.
(11). Cottage, on the S. side of the road at Wall End,
1,100 yards W.S.W. of the church, was built probably
late in the 16th century and enlarged and heightened
in the 18th century.