57 MONNINGTON-ON-WYE (C.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXXII, N.W.)
Monnington is a small parish on the left bank of the
Wye, 9 m. W. of Hereford. The church, an interesting
17th-century structure, and Monnington Court are the
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary (Plate 150) stands
on the N. bank of the river. The walls are of local
sandstone rubble and ashlar, with dressings of the same
material; the roofs are covered with stone slates. The
West Tower was built early in the 15th century, but
the rest of the church, consisting of Chancel, Nave and
North Porch, was re-built in 1679 by Uvedall and Mary
The church, fittings and lych-gate are interesting
examples of late 17th-century work.
Monnington on Wye
Architectural Description—All the details, not otherwise described, are of late 17th-century date. The
Chancel (19½ ft. by 15 ft.) has an E. window of three
transomed and elliptical-headed lights in an elliptical
head with a moulded label; the lights have similar
heads below the transom; on the gable is an ornamental pinnacle, which is repeated on the gables of the
nave and porch. The N. and S. walls have each a
window of two tiers of two round-headed lights in a
square head with a moulded label; the N. doorway has
a plain elliptical head. The chancel-arch has plain
jambs and chamfered two-centred arch; on the E.
face of the gable above is a panel with a carved achievement of the arms of Tomkins impaling Capell. The
side walls of the chancel and nave have moulded eavesboards.
The Nave (45 ft. by 17 ft.) (Plate 151) has one window
in the N. and two in the S. wall, all uniform with the side
windows in the chancel. The N. doorway has chamfered
jambs and a segmental arch cut in one stone.
The North Porch has an outer archway with moulded
jambs, imposts and elliptical arch; above it is a carved
achievement of the arms of Tomkins impaling Capell,
in an architectural setting with side-pilasters and
cornice and above it is a round scrolled panel with the
initials and date V. and M.T., 1679.
The West Tower (about 9½ ft. square) is of the 15th
century and of three storeys with an embattled parapet
with the merlons pierced by cruciform loops. The
tower-arch has plain jambs and chamfered two-centred
arch. In the W. wall is a window of two trefoiled
lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head. The
second storey has a loop-light in the N., S. and W.
walls. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window
of two lights in a square head; the lights in the S.
window have pointed heads; the rest are trefoiled.
The Roof of the chancel is ceiled, but has three trusses
with tie-beams and principals; the roofs of the nave
and porch are ceiled but the latter has moulded wall-plates; all these are probably of late 17th-century date.
The low pyramidal roof of the tower has crossed tie-beams.
Fittings—Bells: four; 1st by Godwin Baker of
Worcester, 1615; 2nd by Clibury, 1610; 3rd mediæval
and inscribed in Lombardic capitals, "Eternis anis
resonet campana Joannis." Chest: In tower—with
panelled front, middle panel sub-divided, three locks,
two missing, 17th-century. Communion Table (Plate 50):
with heavy twisted legs, moulded upper rail with shaped
brackets; on upper part of both legs the initials and date
V. and M.T., 1679. Communion Rails: with moulded
rails and twisted balusters, c. 1679. Doors: In N. doorway of chancel—with moulded ribs forming two panels,
two strap-hinges with ornamental ends. In nave—in
N. doorway, similar but larger door (Plate 45), in
four panels, with drop-handle, both 17th-century.
Font (Plate 58): octagonal bowl with moulded under
edge, tapering stem and moulded base; on face of bowl
initials and date, V. and M.T., 1680. Flat oak cover
with radiating panels and acorn-finial in middle.
Gates: In tower-arch—two of oak, each of three bays
with twisted posts and half-round arches, possibly
from chancel-screen, 17th-century. Glass: In nave—
in S.E. window, achievement-of-arms of Tomkins
impaling Capell, 17th-century, set reversed. Monuments
and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In nave—on N. wall,
(1) of Robert Perrott, 1667, stone wall-monument
(Plate 67) with bust of man in shallow recess, with
Composite side-columns, entablature, broken pediment
and cartouche-of-arms. In churchyard—W. of porch,
(2) broken slab of uncertain date, locally attributed to
Owen Glendower. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to
Uvedall Tomkyns, 1692, and Mary, his widow, 1728,
with achievement-of-arms. In nave—(2) to Francis
Perrott, 1667; (3) to Lucy Tomkyns, 1677; (4) to
W.L., 1651; (5) to Charles..., 1668; (6) to James
Hodges, 1653–4, Anne, wife of J. H., 1643, William
Hodges, 1676, and Grace, wife of William Hodges,
1704–5; (7) to John Hodges, 1712, with shield-of-arms. Panelling: On side walls of chancel and at W.
end of nave—panelled dado, 17th-century. Paving:
In W. part of chancel—paving of square stones, set
diagonally, late 17th-century. Pulpit (Plate 70): hexagonal, with pairs of twisted half-balusters at angles, each
face with two ranges of varied panelling, alternate faces
with large arcaded panel and sub-divided panel with small
arcaded panel in middle; stairs with twisted balusters,
moulded rail and square moulded newel, late 17th-century. Reredos: made up of 17th-century panelling.
Royal Arms (Plate 120): In nave—on S. wall, formerly on
screen, square oak panel with twisted side-columns, entablature and plain pediment with the initials C.R. 2, royal
Stuart arms painted and gilt; at sides of panel twisted
iron stays with scrolls or crowns at top. Screens:
Under chancel-arch (Plate 151)—of oak with large central
opening and four bays on each side with close lower
panels and open upper panels, the latter with twisted
posts and round arches with projecting key and impost
blocks, moulded main cornice; on lower part of E. face,
two large panels on each side with unusual mouldings.
E. and W. of chancel-screen—four low enclosures
or desk-fronts with twisted balusters similar to the
communion-rails; enclosure to reading-desk with
turned balusters and arches similar to screen, all late
17th-century. Seating: In nave—nineteen benches,
with turned front legs, shaped arms and open backs,
also one panelled front, late 17th-century. Miscellanea:
In tower—stone mortar.
The Lych-gate (Plate 42), N. of the church, is of late
17th-century date, timber-framed and square on plan.
The N. and S. faces have open framing and square-headed doorways. The E. and W. sides have close
lower panels and openings above divided by flat shaped
balusters, partly renewed. The roof is gabled on each
face and is covered with stone slates.
(2). Monnington Court, W.N.W. of the churchyard, is of two storeys; the walls are mainly of rubble
and the roofs are covered with stone slates. The
house was built late in the 16th century on a half
H-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the
N. A large room was formed on the upper floor of
the E. wing and the wing probably widened, late in
the 17th century. The original timber-framing was
probably replaced by stone in the 18th century. The
original entrance-doorway (Plate 45) on the S. front has
a moulded oak frame with a shaped head-piece carved
with two monsters; the panelled door has a diamond-shaped sinking in each panel and a strap-hinge with a
fleur-de-lis end. A window in the E. gable has a mullion
and transom, perhaps of late 17th-century date. The
central chimney-stack has two attached diagonal shafts.
There are two late 17th-century windows on the E.
side. Inside the building, the main block was almost
entirely occupied by one large room; the ceiling is
divided by beams and joists into 24 equal panels, those
towards the E. end retaining their original plaster
decorations (Plate 72); these consist of central geometrical designs with moulded ribs and fleur-de-lis and
conventional sprigs in the angles. At the W. end of
the room a considerable amount of mid 17th-century
woodwork has been re-set as a deep frieze (Plate 151);
it includes enriched cornices and friezes, two grotesque
caryatides, two shields of the arms of Tomkins, one supported by two cherubs and the other held by an angel, a
crest of the same family, the inscriptions T. and L.T.,
1656 (twice repeated), "Crimini(e) mundatus, semper
transire pe(a)ratus" and "Vive Deo gratus, toti mundo
tumulatus." Other rooms have exposed ceiling-beams,
and on the first floor of the W. wing are two rooms
lined or partly lined with late 16th or early 17th-century panelling re-set. The large room on the first
floor of the E. wing has a ceiling divided by chamfered
beams into three main bays, sub-divided into panels;
at the N. end is a late 17th-century fireplace with a
(3). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, nearly ¾ m.
N.N.E. of the church, is of one storey with attics;
the walls are timber-framed, and the roofs are covered
with stone slates. It was built probably late in the
17th century, and has exposed external timber-framing
and internal ceiling-beams.
New Hampton, see Hampton, New.