59 NORTON CANON (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXV, S.W.)
Norton Canon is a parish 10 m. N.W. of Hereford.
The church, with interesting plate, and the Old Manor
House are the principal monuments.
(1). Parish Church of St. Nicholas (Plate 9) stands
on the E. side of the parish. The walls of the tower
are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the
same material; the rest of the church is of red brick
on a stone base and with stone dressings; the roofs
are covered with stone slates and tiles. A piscina,
now loose in the porch, indicates the existence of a
12th-century church on the site. The earliest part of
the existing building is the late 13th-century North-West Tower. The rest of the church, consisting of
Chancel, Nave, Transepts, North Vestry and South
Porch, was re-built in 1706, with the re-use of many late
13th-century windows and doorways. The church
was restored in 1868 and 1876, when the walls generally
were raised a few feet, new arches inserted to the chancel
and transepts, and the internal window-splays, etc.,
Though altered the building is of some interest as
an early 18th-century structure, and among the fittings
the pre-Reformation paten is noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (25¾ ft. by
16¼ ft.) has a re-set late 13th-century E. window of
three pointed lights with the mullions carried up to
the two-centred head to form the middle light. The
side walls have each two windows of the same date
and of two pointed lights in a two-centred head;
between the S. windows is a late 13th-century doorway
with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. The
chancel-arch is modern.
The Nave (58½ ft. by 20 ft.) has modern arches
opening into the transepts. The three side windows,
one on the N. and two on the S., are all of late 13th-century date re-set and of two trefoiled lights; the
13th-century N. doorway has chamfered jambs and
two-centred head; the S. doorway, probably of the
same date, has chamfered jambs and a rounded head.
In the W. wall is a modern doorway and a re-set late
13th-century window of three trefoiled lights in a
The North Transept (9 ft. by 17¾ ft.) and the South
Transept (8 ft. by 18 ft.) have each a late 13th-century
window in the outer wall, similar to the E. window of
The North-West Tower is of late 13th-century date
and of three stages with a splayed plinth and a pyramidal
roof resting on a plain corbel-table. The ground-stage has, in the E. wall, a doorway with chamfered
jambs and two-centred head. The N. and W. walls
have each a window of one trefoiled light of differing
detail; the recesses have flat corbelled heads. The
second stage has, in the E., N. and W. walls, a window
similar to those in the stage below. The bell-chamber
has, in each wall, a window of two trefoiled lights.
The E. wall has the marks of a former pent-roof,
cutting across the second-stage window.
The North Vestry has, re-set in the E. wall, a 14th-century window of two trefoiled lights.
The South Porch has an outer archway with plain jambs
and segmental head. On the W. jamb is the inscription, "This church re-built 1706," with the added date
The Roof of the tower is of mediæval date and has a
central post standing on crossed tie-beams.
Fittings—Chest: In S. transept—large, framed, with
plain fielded panels, one lock, probably early 18th-century.
Coffin-lids: In nave—three, all fragmentary, with
ornamental cross-heads and two with enriched stems
in addition, all 13th-century. Communion Table: with
turned legs, moulded lower and enriched upper rails,
early to mid 17th-century. Communion Rails: with
turned balusters and moulded rail, early 18th-century.
Doors: In nave—in N. doorway, of battens with
ledges at back, plain strap-hinges, 17th-century;
in tower-doorway, of nail-studded battens diagonal
framing, plain strap-hinges, 17th-century or earlier.
Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Mary, wife of Henry
Jones, 1698–9; (2) to Henry Jones, 1706–7; (3) to
Mary, wife of George Whittney, 1698. In S. transept—
(4) to John Price, 1695–6. Font (Plate 57): octagonal
bowl with splayed under-side moulded at the top and
bottom, plain stem and moulded base on steps with high
step on W. side, 13th-century. Glass: In nave—in
S.W. window, quarries with grisaille, late 13th-century.
In N. transept—in N. window, similar quarries with
coloured border of running flower-ornament, late 13th-century. Piscina: In S. porch—loose, scalloped and
enriched capital of pillar-piscina, with square drain, 12th-century. Plate: includes an Elizabethan cup (Plate 60)
with a band of engraved ornament round the bowl and a
late 15th-century paten (Plate 59) with a sex-foiled sinking at the bottom enclosing an engraved 'vernicle.'
Pulpit: modern but incorporating early 17th-century
material, including an enriched arcaded panel, styles with
terminal figures, other styles and rails with guilloche-ornament, etc. Reredos: made up of early 17th-century
woodwork, including an arcaded panel and others with
various enrichments, styles with half-baluster ornament,
etc. Seating: In nave and N. transepts, eleven pews
and front-desks, with fielded panelling, early 18th-century, one standard made up of earlier panelling.
Miscellanea: Under the S.E. angle of the S. transept,
large square stone with part of a circular setting-out
line on the top surface, probably Roman.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed, and with tile or slate-covered roofs.
Most of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(2). Cottage (Plate 33), on the S. side of the road, 270
yards S. of the church, has a thatched roof.
(3). Cottage, 30 yards S.W. of (2), has a shingled roof.
The eaves have moulded wood fascias. Inside the
building, the staircase has a balustrade at the top, with
original flat shaped balusters.
(4). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, opposite (3),
has a thatched roof.
(5). Norton House and outbuilding, on the N. side
of the road, 300 yards S.S.W. of the church. The
House is original only in its eastern part; the rest was
re-built and the whole refronted in brick early in the
19th century. Inside the building are some original
The Outbuilding, S.E. of the house, is partly of modern
brick. The roof has side-posts standing on the main
beams of the first floor.
(6). Barns, at Cross Farm, 120 yards E. of (5), are
weather-boarded; the lower part of the northern barn
is of stone, and the roof is covered with corrugated-iron.
The southern barn is of three bays.
(7). Cottage and outbuildings, on the S. side of the
road at Pig Street, 1,560 yards W.N.W. of the church.
The Cottage was built probably late in the 16th century
and contains some original moulded ceiling-beams.
The Outbuildings include a barn of four bays, weather-boarded, and a range of stables with a tallat above.
(8). Cottage, 60 yards W.N.W. of (7), has been very
much altered and restored.
(9). Cottage (Plate 27), 20 yards N.W. of (8), has a
(10). Cottage (Plate 27), N.W. of and generally similar
to (9), has a thatched roof.
(11). Cottage, 250 yards W.N.W. of (10), and 1 m.
W. of the church, was built late in the 17th or early in
the 18th century.
(12). Cottage, on the W. side of the road, at Norton
Wood, 1¼ m. W.N.W. of the church, was built probably
early in the 18th century.
(13). Cottage, 60 yards N. of and generally similar
to (12), has a plastered front. The outbuilding, W. of
the cottage, is of the 17th century.
(14). Cottage, 370 yards W. of (13), has a thatched
(15). Outbuilding, at Calver Hill House, 1,500 yards
N.W. of the church, has heavy framing and five roof-trusses. The roof is covered with corrugated-iron.
(16). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 160 yards
S.E. of (15), has an 18th-century extension on the E.
(17). House and barns, on the E. side of the road,
50 yards S. of (16). The House was built on a half
H-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the
E., but the space between the wings has now been
built over. The W. front has been refaced in brick.
The Barn, E. of the house, is of three bays. A second
barn, S.W. of the house, is also of three bays and is
connected with the house by a later range of
(18). The Old Manor House and outbuildings, 30
yards N.E. of (17). The House was built probably
late in the 16th century, and is of L-shaped plan with
the wings extending towards the W. and N. It
probably once extended further to the W. The N.
wing is probably a 17th-century addition. The
original wing has exposed timber-framing and with a
moulded beam at the base of the N. gable; this side
retains two original oriel-windows, three-sided, and
resting on shaped brackets; the mullions, cornices and
sills are moulded.
The Barn, N.W. of the house, is partly roofless, and
is probably of the same date as the house. The out-building adjoining the W. end of the house is of four
main bays, and probably of late 17th-century date.
(19). Cottage, 120 yards S. of (17), has an outbuilding
on the N. side.
(20). Cottage, 50 yards S. of (19), has been heightened
in the 18th century and refronted in modern brick.
(21). Red Castle, two tenements, on the E. side of
the road, ¾ m. W. of the church, has a thatched roof.
(22). Green Farm, house (Plate 29), on the E. side of
the road, ¾ m. N.W. of the church, is of T-shaped plan
with the cross-wing at the W. end. It has been refaced
in stone. Inside the building is an original doorway
with a shaped head.
(23). Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 200 yards
S.S.W. of (22), has been much altered.
(24). Cottage, immediately S. of (23), has been
re-roofed and otherwise altered.
(25). Cottage, on the S.W. side of the road, at Eccles
Green, 960 yards N.N.W. of the church, has been
refaced in brick and has a modern wing on the N.W.