61 PEMBRIDGE (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XI, S.W., (b)XI, S.E., (c)XVIII, N.W.,
(d)XVIII, N.E., (e)XVIII, S.W.)
Pembridge is a large parish and small town 7 m. W.
of Leominster. The church is of considerable interest,
and the town (Plate 157) retains a very high proportion
of its early timber-framed buildings. Several of these
are of mediæval date, and the lower part of the market
hall also survives. The two blocks of almshouses are
d(1). Parish Church of St. Mary (Plates 8, 155)
stands on the S. side of the village. The walls are of
local sandstone rubble, mostly ashlar-faced and with
dressings of the same material; the roofs are covered
with stone slates and slates. The 12th-century capital in
the N. porch indicates the existence of a church of this
period, and the large sub-bases of four piers of the nave
may indicate an earlier aisled structure on the site, though
there seems nothing to show that the other piers had
not the same bases buried or cut away. The earliest
work in the present building is the blocked arches
in the side walls of the Chancel, dating from c. 1220–30.
They formerly opened into side chapels. The rest
of the chancel may be of the same date. The Nave,
North and South Transepts and Aisles and the chancel-arch were re-built early in the 14th century. The
North Porch was added in the second half of the same
century. The detached timber Belfry also dates
probably from the 14th century. The chancel was
restored in 1871, the building generally in 1908–9,
and the belfry in 1898. The Vestry is modern.
The church is an important example of 14th-century
work, the Belfry being a noteworthy timber-structure.
Among the fittings the monuments and pulpit are of
Architectural Description—The Chancel (37¼ ft. by
21¼ft.) has a partly restored early 14th-century E.
window of four trefoiled lights with net-tracery in a
two-centred head with a moulded label. In the N.
wall is a blocked 13th-century arch of which only the
springers on the E., the respond-base on the W., and
the line of the W. respond externally are now visible;
set in the filling is a late 14th-century window of three
lights, two cinque-foiled and one trefoiled light in a
two-centred head; further E. are two doorways, the
eastern of the 14th century and with chamfered jambs
and two-centred head and the western perhaps earlier
and now blocked; it has square splays and a chamfered
lintel. In the S. wall is a blocked 13th-century arch of
which the E. springers and respond are partly visible
on the inside; the respond has a half-round shaft
with a moulded capital carved with stiff-leaf foliage;
set in the blocking is a window uniform with that in
the N. wall; further E. is a mid 13th-century window
of two trefoiled lights with a pierced quatrefoil in the
spandrel and an internal label. The early 14th-century
chancel-arch is two-centred and of two moulded orders,
the outer continuous and the inner springing from
triple-shafted corbels with common moulded capitals;
about 3 ft. below the springing the responds have been
cut away for a former beam connected with the rood-loft.
The Nave (83½ ft. by 22¼ ft.) (Plate 156) has early 14th-century N. and S. arcades, each of six bays with two-centred arches of two moulded orders with a moulded
label on the inner face; the octagonal piers and halfoctagonal responds have moulded capitals and bases; the
second and third piers on the N. and the first and fourth
on the S. have square chamfered sub-bases. Across the
S.E. angle of the nave is the square-headed upper doorway to the rood-loft; the sill rests on corbelling supported on a cinque-foiled squinch-stone across the angle.
The early 14th-century clearstorey has on each side
four circular windows with cinque-foiled ogee cusping;
there are two similar windows over the chancel-arch.
In the W. wall is a window similar to the E. window
but with head-stops to the label; the W. doorway,
of the same date, has jambs and two-centred arch of
two moulded orders with a moulded label with headstops; the splays and segmental-pointed rear-arch are
of two moulded orders.
Pembridge, the Parish Church of St Mary
The North Transept (25 ft. by 18¾ ft.) is of early
14th-century date; the S. part of the E. wall retains
the weathering of the roof of the destroyed N. chapel.
In the E. wall is a window of two trefoiled ogee lights
with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a moulded
label. In the N. wall is a tall similar window of three
lights with net-tracery and moulded labels, the internal
one finished with head-stops. In the W. wall is a
window similar to that in the E. wall but with headstops to the label; further S. is a half arch of two
moulded orders, the inner springing from a tripleshafted corbel with a moulded capital and tapering
base; the splayed angle, between the transept and
aisle, is finished at the top with a trefoiled panel.
The South Transept (25 ft. by 18¾ ft.) (Plate 15) is of
early 14th-century date and has windows in the E., S. and
W. walls similar to the corresponding windows in the
N. transept, but the labels are without external stops.
Projecting from the E. wall is the rood-loft stair-turret
entered by a doorway with chamfered jambs and ogee
head. The half arch in the W. wall and the anglesplay are similar to those in the N. transept.
The North Aisle (11 ft. wide) has, in the N. wall, three
early 14th-century windows each of two trefoiled ogee
lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a
moulded label; the contemporary N. doorway has
jambs and two-centred arch of two moulded orders
with a moulded label; the splays and rear-arch are also
moulded. In the W. wall is a window of three trefoiled
ogee lights with net-tracery in a two-centred head
with a moulded label and head-stops.
The South Aisle (11 ft. wide) has windows and a
doorway generally similar to the corresponding features
in the N. aisle, but the doorway has no label.
The North Porch is a mid to late 14th-century structure
and has a moulded plinth and angle pinnacles. The
outer archway has jambs and two-centred arch of two
sunk-chamfered orders with a moulded label; above
it is a niche with a cinque-foiled ogee head and a two-centred moulded label. The side walls have each a
window of two trefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label. The porch has a
stone vault with chamfered wall, ridge, diagonal and
intermediate ribs springing from corbels in the angles
with arched ogee soffits and cusped panels on the face;
the central boss has a quatrefoil enclosing five smaller
quatre-foiled panels, and at the other intersections are
The Belfry (Plate 154) stands detached to the N. of the
chancel and is a timber-framed structure of 14th-century
date. It is of octagonal plan and of three diminishing
stages with hipped and pyramidal roofs covered with
stone slates and shingles. The lowest stage has stone
outer walls of varying thickness, and in the S.W. wall
is the doorway with moulded jambs and a wooden lintel.
In the E. wall are two rough openings, in the N. and
N.W. sides a loop-light, and in the S.W. wall a square-headed window originally of two lights. The second
stage is supported on four main oak posts with cross-framing which does not appear to be original, as the
posts have cuttings for raking struts now removed; this
stage is square, as is the small top stage, which has
diagonal framing in the sides.
The Roof of the nave is of 14th-century date and of
plain trussed-rafter type with moulded wall-plates;
one tie-beam with cusped struts below it was intended
to counteract the thrust of the two half-arches carrying
the W. walls of the transepts. The roofs of the
transepts are of similar type and date. The pent-roofs
of the aisles have moulded wall-plates of the 14th
Fittings—Bells: five; 4th by John Martin, 1658.
Brackets: In nave—on E. wall above chancel-arch,
carved with face, 14th-century; flanking the same, two
shaped brackets. In N. transept—on E. wall, two
shaped brackets; on E. wall of S. transept, a similar
bracket. Brasses: In chancel—(1) to Alice (Sherborne), widow of Dr. Thomas Trafford, 1709, inscription-plate only. In S. transept—on E. wall, (2) to
Walter, son of Thomas Smith, 1661–2, inscription
only. Communion Rails: with moulded and enriched
rail, flat shaped and pierced balusters, early 17th-century. Coffin-lid: re-used in back of niche over
entrance to porch—fragment with part of cross-shaft.
Doors: In nave—in W. doorway, of two leaves and of
nail-studded battens with strap-hinges, 17th-century.
In N. doorway—of nail-studded battens (Plate 45) on
diagonal framing; two wrought-iron hinges with ornamental branches and ends, open iron scutcheon with
drop-handle, 14th-century, lock 17th-century. In S.
doorway—of nail-studded battens with panel-mouldings
planted on, drop-handle and strap-hinge, 17th-century.
In outer archway of porch—double wooden gates with
curved top rails surmounted by iron spikes, panelled
lower part and strap-hinges; top rail inscribed, "Tho.
Bengough and Jo. Badham, Wardenss Ano. Dmi. 1678."
Font (Plate 117): square bowl with half-round projection on each face, with moulded upper edge and deeply
moulded lower side, shaft, moulded base and upper
step of similar form, round lower step, 13th-century,
flat cover with moulding planted on and four brackets
supporting twisted central shaft with knob at top,
17th-century. Glass: In N. aisle—in second window
from E., small pieces of diapered and foliated glass in
head; in W. window—upper part of censing angel and
border, borders, diapers, etc., in tracery, 14th-century,
in situ. In S. aisle—in tracery of W. window, figure
of St. Christopher and two other figures, nearly all
modern but incorporating old work in the setting,
small pieces of diaper and borders in spandrels, 14th-century. Lectern: modern but incorporating carved
panel as on pulpit and enriched band as on communionrail, 17th-century. Prayer-desk incorporating similar
work. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In
chancel—against N. wall, (1) double monument in
form of altar-tomb with two pairs of effigies; tomb
with moulded top slab, E. end and part of W. end plain,
rest with range of trefoil-headed panels, partly mutilated; eastern pair of effigies (Plate 62): man, in robes
of a serjeant-at-law, coif with chin-strap, long gown and
short cape over shoulders, two tabs at neck resembling
Geneva bands, feet on lion; woman in veil and wimple,
long cloak tucked up under left arm, tight sleeves to
undergarment, feet on dog; western pair of effigies
(Plate 62): man in turban-head-dress, belted cotehardy to
knees, loose cloak, buttoned at right shoulder, dagger at
side, feet on lion; woman with square head-dress, hanging sleeves, buttoned cloak, feet on dog, mid and late
14th-century; on N. wall, (2) to Anne (Cocks), wife
of Essex Sherborne, 1668–9, tablet flanked by female
figures and surmounted by entablature, broken pediment, cherubs and cartouche-of-arms; (3) to Thomas
Trafford, S.T.P., 1685, tablet (Plate 68) with twisted
Corinthian side-columns, entablature, broken pediment,
putti and cartouche-of-arms; (4) to Jane (Sherborne),
wife of Robert Breton, minister of Pembridge, 1656,
tablet with moulded alabaster frame; on S. wall, (5) to
Alice (Davenant), wife of William Sherborne, rector,
1660, tablet with segmental head, female figures at sides,
entablature, curved pediment, putti and two cartouches-of-arms; (6) to William Sherborne, 1671, tablet with
twisted Composite side-columns, entablature, broken
pediment and cartouche-of-arms. In N. transept—on
N. walls, (7) to Thomas Hopwood, 1679, tablet with
twisted Ionic side-columns, broken pediment and putti.
In S. transept—on E. wall, (8) to Walter Carwardine,
1706, tablet with scrolls and half-round head. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Dorothy (Case) Banner,
mother of Thomas Trafford, 1691; (2) defaced, late
17th-century; (3) to Mary, daughter of Edward
Lloyd, 1658; (4) to M.L., 1668; (5) to Richard
Shepard, 1630; (6) to Adrian Metcalf, 1693–4 and
Davenant (Sherborne) his widow, 1717, with shield-of-arms. In S. transept—(7) to John Badham, 1687.
In S. aisle—(8) to [D]orothy, daughter of John
Higins, 16..; (9) fragments dated 1658 and 1679.
Paintings: In chancel—on arch-stones and respond of
blocked arches, remains of decoration in red, mediæval.
In N. transept—on E. wall, two panels with round
heads defaced black-letter inscription, painted over
earlier panels, both 17th-century. In S. transept—on
face of turret-staircase, similar rectangular panel with
inscription, painted over earlier panel; lower down a
similar panel with scroll-ornament and the Apostles'
Creed; on S. splay of E. window and on adjoining
wall, red colour diapered with white circles, date
uncertain; on S. wall, remains of enriched panel with
the Creed, smaller panel below with defaced inscription,
17th-century. In S. aisle—between two first windows,
ornamental panel with the Lord's Prayer, 17th or
18th-century. Panelling: In chancel—against responds
of chancel-arch, three panels with cusped and traceried
heads, moulded rails, 15th-century, incorporated in
modern work. In N. transept—loose against W. wall,
length of five panels with cinque-foiled and traceried
heads, moulded on top rail with bosses; all 15th-century; forming partition across W. end of transept,
panelling in three heights, early 17th and early 18th-century. Piscinæ: In chancel—recess with cinque-foiled head and projecting trefoiled sill with quatre-foiled drain, 14th-century. In N. transept—in E. wall,
recess with trefoiled ogee head, moulded label, cinque-foiled drain and grooves for shelf, mutilated head-stop
above label, 14th-century. In S. transept—in S.
wall, similar to that in N. transept, but without head-stop and retaining shelf. In N. porch—loose, head
of 12th-century pillar-piscina, with square drain.
Pulpit (Plate 71): octagonal with two ranges of carved
panels, upper range arcaded and enclosing conventional
designs, lower range with grotesque monsters, fluted
middle rail, enriched posts and moulded cornice, door
loose in N. transept, early 17th-century, reconstructed
and stem modern. Recess: In chancel—in S. wall,
with two-centred head of two moulded orders and
moulded label, traces of colour, 14th-century.
Scratchings: On 14th-century parts of structure—
various masons' marks. Miscellanea: In N. porch—
built into E. wall, small scalloped capital, 12th-century.
In S. transept—on E. wall, carved wooden cherub-head, 17th-century. In nave—over S. arcade, large
plaster achievement-of-arms, of Coningsby, 17th or
18th-century. Built into N. wall of chancel, outside,
recess with segmental head, perhaps piscina.
c(2). Tump, 3 m. W. of the church, is of roughly
square form and surrounded by a dry ditch. The
mound is flat-topped, about 36 yards across at the base
and rises at most 14 ft. above the bottom of the ditch.
There is a modern cutting into the S. side of the mound.
e(3). Homestead Moat at Upper Wetton, 3 m.
S.S.W. of the church, is fragmentary.
a(4). Court of Noke, house and moat, 1½ m. N.W.
of the church. The House is of two storeys with
attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built early in the 18th century and is
of half H-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the W. A change in the brickwork may indicate that
the S.W. wing is a slightly later addition. The eaves-cornice and dormers were renewed in the 19th century.
The E. front is symmetrically designed and has pilasters
at the angles, a brick band between the storeys and a
modern eaves-cornice; the central bay projects slightly
and has a pediment; the windows have flat heads and
flush frames. The central doorway has a moulded
architrave, key-stone and entablature and is covered
by a porch with two columns, an entablature and
pediment. The chimney-stacks have moulded stone
cappings. The band-course is continued round the
side walls, and on the S. side are three windows with
solid frames, mullion and transom. Inside the building,
the N.E. room is lined with original panelling in two
heights, with dado-rail and cornice; the fireplace has a
stone surround and eared architrave and is flanked by
fluted pilasters carried up to the cornice. The kitchen
has exposed ceiling-beams. The original staircase has
turned balusters, cut strings, square newels and a
panelled dado. On the first floor, the N.E. room has an
original fireplace with architrave and entablature;
another fireplace has an original moulded surround.
To the N. and E. of the house is a length of millstream with a right-angled bend. A small return scarp
on the W. may indicate that this was formerly a moat.
d(5). Court House Farm (Plate 160), house, outbuildings and moat, 60 yards S. W. of the church. The House
is of two storeys with cellars; the walls are timber-framed
and the roofs are tiled. It was built on a rectangular
plan early in the 17th century but was much altered
early in the 18th century. There are three gables on
the N. and two on the E. and W. sides. Inside the
building, some of the ceiling-beams are exposed. The
two W. rooms are lined with early 18th-century
panelling, with dado-rail and cornice; the fireplaces
have moulded stone surrounds; there is a similar
fireplace in the middle S. room. The middle N. room
is lined with early 18th-century panelling, and there
are several doors of the same date.
The Outbuildings, S. of the house, form two ranges.
They are timber-framed and of the 17th century, and
the N.E. range has a gabled cross-wing with a central
entry; the head-beam of the opening rests on two
The Moat, E. of the house, is roughly square, and has
been partly filled in on the W. side.
Condition—Of house, good.
d(6). Trafford's Almshouses (Plate 161), range of six
tenements, on the N. side of East Street, 275 yards N.E.
of the church. The range is of one storey with attics;
the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are covered
with stone slates. The almshouses were founded by
Dr. Thomas Trafford, rector of the parish in 1686.
The timber-framing is exposed, and the S. front is
symmetrically designed with three pairs of doors to
the tenements and six dormer-windows with hipped
roofs. The doorways have original moulded frames
with shaped head-pieces; above the W. pair is a
panel inscribed, "This hospital founded by Thomas
Trafford, Dr. in Divinity and Rector of ye parish, was
finished and endowed according to his design by Alice
his Relict Ano. Dni. 1686"; above the panel is a
shield-of-arms of Trafford. Above the W. pair of
doorways is a second panel inscribed, "This Hospital
was bielded by me, Thomas Powle, carpenter, according
to the Doner's will in 1686." At the back are three
large projecting chimney-stacks. Inside the building
are some exposed ceiling-beams, and the fireplaces have
d(7). Duppa's Almshouses (Plate 161), range of six
tenements on the W. side of Bridge Street, 90 yards N. of
the church, is of two storeys; the walls are timber-framed
and the roofs are covered with stone slates and tiles.
The almshouses were founded by Jeffrey Duppa and
augmented by Bryan Duppa, Bishop of Winchester, in
1661. The timber-framing is exposed and the upper
storey projects at both ends of the range on curved
brackets springing from semi-octagonal posts. The
back has three large chimney-stacks of stone. Inside
the building are some exposed ceiling-beams.
d(8). Market Hall (Plate 160), in the middle of the
road, 60 yards W.N.W. of the church, is now a single
storeyed building of timber with a hipped roof of stone
slates. It was built in the first half of the 16th century
and formerly had an upper storey. This was removed at
some uncertain date and the building now consists only
of an open structure on eight posts, four on each side.
The posts are chamfered and have remains of moulded
caps; from these spring curved brackets, now supporting the eaves of the roof and the head-beams. The
interior has exposed beams and joists. The N.E.
angle-post stands on the stone base of a mediæval
cross; it is square to octagonal on plan.
d(9). New Inn (Plate 158), 65 yards N.W. of the
church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls
are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. The main
structure is of early 17th-century date with cross-wings
at the E. and W. ends. A four-gabled wing at the
back is probably a rather later addition. The nearly
detached W. wing is also of the 17th century and was
joined to the main building by the rather later addition
of the existing stables. A second wing, separated by
a narrow area from the back of the house, is of the same
period. Both of these wings are of two storeys. The
timber-framing is exposed throughout the various
buildings. In the main building the upper storey
projects at the S. ends of the cross-wings, with moulded
pendants to the upper angle-posts and original carved
scroll-brackets on the E. wing; the western doorway
has an original moulded frame and a door with strap-hinges. Inside the building, the ceiling-beams are
mostly exposed, some of those in the main building
being moulded; there is also an original wall-post
with a moulded head. The staircase has an original
newel with a moulded terminal and moulded handrails.
One of the rooms on the first floor has a columnarshaped post supporting the ceiling-beam.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed and with stone, tile or slate-covered
roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed external
timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
East Street, N. side
d(10). Cottage, 20 yards E. of Bridge Street, appears
to occupy one bay of the hall of a 14th or 15th-century
house, the rest of which has been destroyed. An
original roof-truss is incorporated in the E. wall;
it has a collar with long curved braces forming a two-centred arch and raking struts above. The streetfront is faced with modern brick.
Pembridge, Plan Showing the Position of Monuments
d(11). Greyhound Inn (Plate 160), 45 yards E.N.E. of
(10), was built early in the 16th-century, and later in the
same century the cross-wing was added at the E. end.
The upper storey projects on the whole of the S. front,
the original block having shafted posts with moulded
capitals and curved brackets carved with roses and
foliage; the later wing has plain curved brackets.
The upper story also projects at the back of the original
block on curved brackets springing from simple shafted
posts; the lower storey has some close-set timber-framing. Inside the building, the original block has
d(12). Cottage and post office, 10 yards E. of (11),
dates from the mediæval period and had a central hall
with cross-wings at the E. and W. ends. The hall
was subsequently divided into two storeys and the
cross-wings are now roofed from E. to W. like the
main block. The E. end is a 17th-century extension.
Inside the main block are remains of the original
crutch-truss, dividing the hall into two bays.
d(13). Range of tenements, immediately E. of (12).
d(14). Range of tenements, immediately E. of (13), is
of mediæval origin and incorporates one, and probably
a second, crutch-truss. The building was largely
reconstructed in the 17th century and heightened in
the following century.
d(15). House and shop, 30 yards E. of (14), was built
in the 14th or 15th century with a hall and a cross-wing
at the W. end. The hall was later divided into two
storeys; the front wall has been faced with modern
brick and has an added gable. The upper storey
projects at the S. end of the cross-wing. Inside the
building the original central truss of the former hall
has a collar-beam with curved braces below and struts
above forming foiled openings with the principals.
d(16). Oak House and outbuilding, 30 yards E. of (15).
The House (Plate 160), apart from modern additions,
consists of an E. cross-wing probably of mediæval
origin and a long main block which was added early
in the 16th century. The upper storey of this block
projects on the three free sides on original moulded
bressummers and curved brackets springing from
shafted posts. The central chimney-stack has two
diagonal shafts, probably of the 17th century. The
Outbuilding, formerly a cottage, N.W. of the house,
has been heightened.
d(17). Townsend Farm, house, 280 yards E.N.E. of
the church, has modern additions at the S.E. end.
d(18). House, 100 yards W. of (17), has an inserted
upper floor, which may imply that the heavy main
framing belongs to the hall of a mediæval house.
d(19). House, two tenements, 20 yards W. of (18),
has been heightened. Inside the building is a wall-post
with a moulded head.
d(20). House (Plate 161) and smithy, 40 yards W. of
(19), consists of the hall-block and W. cross-wing of a
mediæval house, perhaps of the 14th century. The
hall was subsequently divided into two storeys and the
cross-wing was twice extended S. in the 17th century.
The original building has framing in large squares.
The upper storey originally projected at the N. end of
the cross-wing, but has been under-built. The original
doorway of the hall, now blocked, has curved braces
forming a two-centred arch; its position indicates
that the screens occupied the E. end of the hall. Inside
the building, the former screens have an original
crutch-truss. The cross-wing has an original moulded
ceiling-beam and the lower parts of the original roof-trusses, dividing it into four bays, are visible.
d(21). Range of two tenements, immediately W. of
(20), has a later extension on the E.
d(22). House, now three tenements, immediately W.
of (21), was built in the 14th or 15th century, with a
central hall and cross-wing at the E. and W. ends.
The hall was divided into two storeys, probably in the
17th century, and its roof extended over the E. cross-wing and heightened. The original framing is in
large squares. Inside the building, the former hall
has an original central truss, of crutch-type, with curved
braces under the collar.
d(23). Cottage, 50 yards W.S.W. of (22).
d(24). House (Plate 161) and shop, called the Old Steps,
opposite Bridge Street, was built early in the 16th century
and formerly stood free on the W. side. Early in the 17th
century a wing was added on this side, and later in the
same century a second wing was added at the back.
The upper storey formerly projected on the N. and
W. sides of the original block but the former has been
under-built and the latter covered by the added wing;
both projections retain their original moulded bressummers and the N.W. angle post has a diagonal
bracket. On the first floor of the N. wall is an original
projecting window of seven lights with one light on
each return; it has a moulded frame, mullions and
sill; the gable above projects on a moulded bressummer
and the barge-boards are carved with fruit, flowers and
dragons. The upper storey of the W. wing formerly
projected on the N. side; it has been under-built but
retains one shaped bracket.
West Street, N. side
d(25). Bank Cottage, 80 yards N.N.W. of the church,
has been heightened.
d(26). Range of tenements, 30 yards W. of (25), was
built probably in the 16th century. The upper storey
projects on most of the S. front.
d(27). Range of two tenements, 40 yards W. of (26).
d(28). House, two tenements, immediately W. of
(27), is probably of mediæval origin, with a central
hall and cross-wings at the E. and W. ends. It has
been much altered, and the whole is now under one
roof. The upper storey formerly projected at the S.
end of both cross-wings, but the E. projection has
been under-built; the other retains its moulded bressummer and curved brackets.
d(29). House (Plate 161), two tenements, 50 yards W.
of (28), consists of the hall-block and W. cross-wing
of a mediæval building. The E. tenement formed the
hall which has an inserted floor and was heightened in
the 17th century. The cross-wing is now roofed from
E. to W. Inside the building are remains of the
central and W. trusses of the former hall; they are of
crutch-construction, the central one having curved
braces forming a pointed arch.
d(30). Cottage (Plate 161), immediately W. of (29).
d(31). House (Plate 159), 5 yards W. of (30), was built
in the 16th century. The upper storey projects on
the S. front on curved brackets and shafted wall-posts.
d(32). House and shop, immediately W. of (31).
d(33). Cottage, immediately W. of (32).
d(34). House and shop, 35 yards W. of (33), was
built probably in the 14th century and consists of a
main wing of three bays, formerly of one storey and a
cross-wing of two storeys at the W. end. The upper
storey and the gable project at the S. end of the cross-wing on curved brackets. Inside the building, the
main or hall-block has remains of four crutch-trusses,
the blades forming acutely pointed arches tied by
collar-beams. The cross-wing has a roof of four bays;
the trusses are partly original, the upper timbers being
d(35). House, immediately W. of (34), is probably
also of 14th-century date and has a hall-block with a
cross-wing at the W. end. The square timber-framing
is exposed. The upper storey projects at the S. end
of the cross-wing on curved brackets. Inside the
building, the hall-block has an original central crutchtruss with curved braces below the collar and struts
above cut to form a pointed oval and two pointed
openings; there are remains of a second crutch-truss
against the E. wall of the building.
d(36). House, two tenements, 40 yards W. of (35),
was built early in the 17th century on a rectangular
plan; later in the century it was extended towards the
E. and a wing added at the back, projecting diagonally
towards the N.W. The S. front of the original block
is in three bays with a central gable. The upper storey
projects at the E. end of the extension on shaped
brackets; the angle-posts have shaped pendants;
the gable has diagonal framing as has the gable on the
d(37). House, 300 yards W. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the
W. and N.
d(38). House, two tenements, immediately E. of (37),
was built early in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan
with the wings extending towards the W. and N. Later
in the century the W. wing was extended towards
the W., and the N. wing has a modern extension
towards the S. Inside the building, the middle room
has remains of a panelled plaster ceiling, and on the
first floor is a little original panelling.
d(39). Range of three tenements, 20 yards E. of
(38), has been much altered. On the N. front there
is an original moulded beam at the first-floor level.
d(40). House, 35 yards E. of (39), has been partly
refronted in brick.
d(41). Cottage, 20 yards W. of the Market Hall, is
perhaps of early 16th-century date, but has been
refronted and much altered, probably early in the 19th
century. Inside the building is an original moulded
d(42). House and shop, 10 yards S.W. of the Market
Hall, incorporates part of a 14th-century building
which forms a small block in the middle of the S. side.
The block to the N. may have been added in the 16th
century, but the rest of the building on the E. and W.
is of the 17th century with a modern addition on the
E. front. The original block has large square timber-framing and one quatre-foiled panel survives within
the building; there is also an original moulded ceiling-beam. The roof has two original trusses, one with
cusped principals and collar and the other with a tie-beam, cusped principals and struts.
d(43). House (Plate 159), formerly school, on the W.
side of the churchyard, was built in the 16th century,
and is of three bays. The upper storey projects on
the W. front on an original moulded bressummer and
curved brackets. There was a similar projection and
bressummer on the E. side, but they have been under-built.
Bridge Street, W. side
d(44). Cottage, 55 yards N. of West Street, has been
refronted in brick.
d(45). Cottage, immediately N. of (44).
d(46). Rectory Cottage (Plate 159), three tenements,
165 yards N. of (45), was built in the 16th century and
has modern additions at the back. The upper storey
projects on the E. front on curved brackets.
d(47). Bridge Cottage (Plate 161), three tenements, 30
yards N. of (46), consists of a main block, probably a
14th-century hall, and a S. cross-wing probably of early
17th-century date. The upper storey projects at the
E. end of the cross-wing on curved brackets, and in the
return wall of the same wing is a window of four
lights with chamfered frame and mullions. Inside
the building, the original hall has been divided into
two storeys and heightened; the framing is in large
squares; two original crutch-trusses remain, the blades
being cut and shaped to form, with the braces, a four-centred arch under the collar; there are foiled openings
above the collar.
d(48). House (Plate 159), 25 yards N. of East Street,
was built early in the 16th century. The close-set framing
is exposed on the W. front and the upper storey projects
on an original moulded bressummer, curved brackets
and shafted posts; at the N. end is an original doorway
with chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head.
Inside the building there is a doorway of similar form
and original moulded ceiling-beams.
d(49). Cottage, 180 yards E.N.E. of the church, has
b(50). Holmcroft, house and outbuilding, on the E.
side of the road, 500 yards N. of the church. The
House is of irregular plan and has been much altered.
The two late 17th or early 18th-century chimneystacks have panels with arched heads in each face.
Inside the building, the early 18th-century staircase
has octagonal newels with ball-terminals and turned
The Outbuilding, N. of the house, has a lower storey
b(51). Middle Brook (Plate 30), house, on the W. side
of the road, 300 yards N.N.W. of (50), has a central
gable and a gabled porch on the E. side.
b(52). Clear Brook (Plate 31), house, 220 yards N.N.E.
of (51), is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the W.
end. The E. part of the E. wing is probably of the 16th
century, but the higher western part and the cross-wing
are of early 17th-century date. On the W. front the
upper storey projects slightly on a moulded beam with
two shaped brackets; the three gables have moulded
barge-boards and apex-posts; the framing in them has
curved braces with ornamental projections resembling
cusping. The doorway (Plate 45) has a moulded frame
and a shaped board in the head; the battened door has
ornamental strap-hinges. The S. gable of the cross-wing is similar to those on the W. front and has a
17th-century two-light window; the bressummer at the
first-floor level has two shaped brackets. The chimneystacks have late 17th-century shafts with arched panels
in each face. Inside the building are some moulded
ceiling-beams and a doorway with a 17th-century
moulded frame. The early 17th-century staircase has
shafted, pierced and enriched newels, flat, shaped and
pierced balusters and moulded grip-handrails.
a(53). Leen Farm, house and outbuildings, about
¾ m. N.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys
with attics; it was built in the 16th century or earlier,
but was largely re-built c. 1600, to which date belongs
the large block at the S. end. The earlier part to the
N. has a 17th-century addition beyond it, now a
garage, and there are various modern additions. The
upper storey of the original block formerly projected
on the S.W. front but has been under-built. At the
back is an original window of five lights with chamfered
mullions. The block of c. 1600 has a two-storeyed
porch; the upper storey projects on brackets, and there
are similar brackets under the gable; the inner doorway
of the porch, now blocked, has a moulded frame.
The Outbuilding, N.E. of the house, and another long
range of outbuilding beyond it, are both of the 17th
a(54). Cottage, 150 yards W.S.W. of Court of Noke
(4), is of two storeys with attics.
a(55). Cottage, 220 yards W.N.W. of Court of Noke.
a(56). Cottage, at Noke Lane Head, nearly 2 m.
W.N.W. of the church, has been partly re-built.
a(57). Grove Farm, house, nearly 2¼ m. N.W. of the
church, has been largely re-built.
a(58). Strangwood Farm, house, about 3 m. W.N.W.
of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the S.E. and S.W. The S.W. wing
has a later extension. The upper storey projects at
the N.W. end of the S.E. wing on shaped brackets.
c(59). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, N. of the
railway at Upper Marston, 2¼ m. W. of the church,
has a thatched roof.
c(60). Lowe Farm, house, 1¼ m. W. of the church, is
of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the W. end.
The E. wing is of mediæval origin and has remains of
original crutch-trusses. The N. end of the cross-wing
is an addition of rather later date than the main block,
and the rest of the cross-wing is a rebuilding or addition
of the 17th century.
c(61). Moseley Gate, cottage, 1 m. W. of the church,
was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
c(62). Byletts, house and barn, 760 yards W.N.W. of
the church. The House was refaced and largely
re-built and added to in 1879, but incorporates remains
of a 17th-century building. Inside the house, the
Dining-room is lined with original panelling with an
enriched frieze and moulded cornice. The Hall has
portions of an arabesque frieze of the same period and
the Kitchen has moulded ceiling-beams; there are
similar beams on the first floor. The upper part of the
staircase has original flat wavy balusters.
The Barn, N. of the house, is of L-shaped plan and
is partly weather-boarded.
c(63). Pitfield Farm, house, 1,150 yards S.W. of the
church, was built on an L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the N. and E. There are modern
additions on the N. and S. of the E. wing.
c(64). Cottage, on the N. side of the road at Marston,
and 180 yards N. of Marston Court.
c(65). Cottage, 40 yards W. of (64).
c(66). Yew Tree Farm, house and barn, 100 yards
E.S.E. of (64). The House (Plate 21) was built in the
16th century and has a 17th-century wing on the W.
The upper storey projects at the S. end on shaped
brackets and the gable also projects on similar brackets.
The upper storey also projects at the N. end. Inside
the building, the original staircase has flat, pierced and
shaped balusters, square newels with acorn-terminals
and moulded grip-handrails.
The Barn, W. of the house, and on the opposite side
of the road, is mostly weather-boarded.
c(67). Marston Court, house and barn, nearly 1¾ m.
W.S.W. of the church. The House consists of a N.
wing probably of the 16th century, to which the main
L-shaped block of the house was added in the 17th
century. The walls are partly of stone. Inside the
building arc some 17th-century moulded ceiling-beams.
The Barn, S.W. of the house, is mostly weather-boarded.
c(68). Cottage, 60 yards E. of (67), has been
c(69). Cottage, two tenements, 60 yards S.E. of (67),
was built late in the 16th century, on an L-shaped plan
with the wings extending towards the N. and E.
c(70). Weston Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 2½ m.
S.W. of the church, was built late in the 17th or early
in the 18th century and has a thatched roof.
c(71). Westonbury, house and barn, nearly 1½ m.
S.W. of the church. The House is largely modern
except for a block at the N.E. angle. The late 17th-century E. chimney-stack has recessed panels with
arched heads in each face. Inside the building are
some original moulded ceiling-beams.
The Barn, N.E. of the house, is weather-boarded.
c(72). Weston Court Farm, house and outbuildings,
2 m. S.W. of the church. The House was built
probably late in the 16th century, heightened and
added to on the E. late in the 17th century. The
walls have been partly refaced in stone.
The Outbuildings, N. of the house, form three sides
of a quadrangle. In the middle of the N.E. side is a
mediæval barn of three bays with crutch-trusses; the
building and entry to the N.W. of it was built probably
c. 1600. The rest of the buildings in the three ranges
are of various periods in the 17th century. To the E.
of the house is another 17th-century outbuilding.
c(73). Cottage, on the N.W. side of the road, 70
yards N.W. of (72), is of T-shaped plan with the rather
later cross-wing at the S.W. end.
c(74). Cottage, on the N.E. side of the road, 40 yards
N.E. of (72), consists of a gabled wing of late 16th-century date with a 17th-century addition on the N.E.
The upper storey projects at the S.E. end of the original
wing on a moulded bressummer with pendant posts
at the angles and curved brackets springing from
attached shafts on the posts below; the timber-framing
is fairly close set, and the framing in the gable has
ornamental curved struts in the panels.
c(75). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 400 yards
E. of (74), has a barn at the S.W. end.
c(76). Cottage, on the S.W. side of the road, 150
yards S.E. of (75), has a thatched roof.
c(77). Cottage, two tenements, on the S. side of the
road at Nutfield, 1½ m. S.S.W. of the church.
c(78). Cottage, nearly opposite (77), was built late
in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
c(79). Cottage, on the S. side of the road at Gorsty
Common, over 1¾ m. S.W. of the church.
c(80). Yew Tree Inn, on the W. side of the road,
180 yards S.W. of (79), has been heightened.
c(81). Moorcot Farm, on the S.W. side of the road,
2¾ m. S.W. of the church, was built on an L-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the W. and N.
There are various modern additions.
c(82). Cottage, on the N.E. side of the road at
Moorcot, 140 yards N. of (81).
c(83). Cottage, 25 yards N.W. of (82), has an 18th-century addition on the S.W.
c(84). Cottage, 30 yards N.W. of (83), was altered
probably in 1702, the date on the front door. The
doorway has a moulded frame and a shaped board in
c(85). The Yeld, house and barns, nearly ½ m. N.W.
of Moorcot. The House was enlarged probably late
in the 18th century. The Barns, N.W. of the house,
form an L-shaped block with the wings towards the
N.E. and S.E. The N.E. barn is of five and the other
of three bays.
c(86). Cotmore Farm, house and outbuildings, on the
edge of the parish, 800 yards N.W. of (85). The
House was built probably late in the 16th century and
small wings were added on the E. and N. in the 17th
century. It was refaced and extended in 1745, the
date on the S. front. The gable at the E. end of this
front has enriched barge-boards.
The Outbuildings include a stable N.W. of the house,
and a barn further W., of four bays, both of the 17th
e(87). Bond's Green, cottage, on the E. side of the
road, 3 m. S.W. of the church, was built late in the 17th
or early in the 18th century.
e(88). Crumps Oak, house, 630 yards S.W. of (87).
The E. part of the main block was built probably in the
16th century; it was extended to the W. in the following century with a cross-wing at the W. end. The
cross-wing was refaced and extended towards the N.
late in the 18th century. A dormer-window, on the
S. side, has 17th-century moulded barge-boards and
apex-post. Inside the building are some 17th-century
shaped and moulded brackets under the ceiling-beams.
e(89). Bolton, house, 600 yards S.S.E. of (88), is of
mediæval origin, as indicated by the crutch-truss in the
S. wing. The N. wing was added probably c. 1600.
Inside the building is some panelling of c. 1600.
e(90). Bruton, house, 670 yards S.E. of (89), is of
mediæval date and has remains of two crutch-trusses.
It was enlarged late in the 17th century.
e(91). Upper Broadwood, house and outbuildings,
3¼ m. S.S.W. of the church. The House is of mediæval
date and has remains of a crutch-truss. The N. wing
was added late in the 17th century. The Outbuildings
include a store, formerly a cottage, E. of the house,
a barn of three bays S.E. of the house, and a barn and
outbuilding N.E. of the house; all these are probably
of 17th-century date.
e(92). Grub Court, house, on the W. side of the road,
720 yards N. of (91), was built probably late in the 16th
century. The S. gable retains one original shaped
e(93). Cider House, near former site of Lower
Wetton, and ¼ m. E.S.E. of (92).
e(94). Court Farm, house, on the W. side of the road
at lower Broxwood, 2¾ m. S.S.W. of the church, has
cross-wings at the N.E. and S.W. ends. The middle
part has been heightened.
e(95). House and Post Office, on the E. side of the
road, 150 yards N.N.E. of (94).
e(96). Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 150 yards
N. of (95), was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th
e(97). Cottage, 70 yards N. of (96).
e(98). Collier's Farm, house, 680 yards E. of (94), was
built c. 1600 and has 18th-century and modern extensions on the N. and S.
e(99). Lower Barewood Farm, house and barn, 1,150
yards S.S.E. of the church. The House was built
late in the 17th or early in the 18th century and the
Barn, E. of the house, is of four bays and of rather
a and c(100). Rowe Ditch, crosses the valley of the
Arrow on a line nearly N. and S. and about 1,000 yards
W. of the church. It can be traced from Pitfield Farm
northwards into the angle of the parish of Staunton on
Arrow. Traces of a scarp continuing this line into the
N. part of Pembridge parish perhaps indicate that it
continued rather further in this direction. The total
length of the work is nearly 2¼ m., and it consists of a
bank with a ditch on its W. side. The bank rises, in
places, to a height of 8 or 8½ ft. above the bottom of the
ditch and is some 30 ft. wide. (See Arch. Camb., 1930,
p. 61, and Plan, p. xxxi, of this Inventory.)