67 STAPLETON (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)V, S.E., (b)X, S.E.)
Stapleton is a small parish on the W. border of the
county, 6 m. N.N.E. of Kington. Stapleton Castle and
Carters Croft are the principal monuments.
a(1). Stapleton Castle (Plate 5, and Plan, p. xxix),
ruins and earthworks, stands in the middle of the parish.
The Ruins are those of a stone-built house of two storeys,
with some brickwork in the arches. The castle belonged
to the family of Say in the 13th century and passed from
them to the Mortimers of Richard's Castle, the Cornwalls,
and finally, in 1706, to the Harley family. The castle is
said to have been "defaced" by Sir Michael Woodhouse in 1645. There is no evidence of an earlier date
than the beginning of the 17th century in the existing
remains, which are those of a long rectangular house,
probably with two cross-wings, short of the ends of the
main building and forming a double-cross plan. The
whole of the N. end and the W. projection of the N.
cross-wing have entirely disappeared. The walls
have a plinth and a string-course between the storeys.
The openings have lost their frames and mullions
except for one window on the W. side, which is of two
transomed lights with moulded wooden frame and
mullion. Most of the window openings on the E.
front have segmental brick arches which would appear
to be work of the 18th century.
The castle occupies the summit of a hill which seems
to have been cut and scarped to form a motte and bailey
earthwork. The motte occupied the southern and
higher end, and there are traces of a ditch cut in the
hillside on its E. and W. sides; to the N., some 8 ft.
below the level of the motte, is a bailey with traces of an
entrance and a slight ditch at the N. end. The rest
of the hill-top to the N. may have formed an outer
enclosure, and a sunk trackway approaches the E. side
of the bailey. The motte has been much altered and
no doubt flattened when the existing house was built
and a retaining wall built round its southern end.
Condition—Of house, ruined.
b(2). Lugg Bridge, ¾ m. S.S.E. of the Castle, crosses
the river Lugg which here forms the county boundary.
It is of rubble and of three spans with segmental
arches and cutwaters both up and down stream supporting refuges. The bridge is probably of 17th-century
a(3). Carter's Croft, cottage, at the road-fork, 300
yards E. of the castle, is of one storey with attics,
timber-framed, and with stone and slate-covered roofs.
It was built in the 13th or 14th century and forms a
rectangular building of four bays with crutch-trusses
and a continuous original roof. The two middle bays
perhaps formed the hall. The upper floor was inserted
in the three E. bays in the 17th century when the large
central chimney-stack was also inserted. Little of the
original framing is exposed on the outside, but in the
second bay from the E. in the S. wall is a blocked
original doorway with a plain pointed head formed of
heavy timbers. Inside the building, the W. bay retains
the original ceiling-beams, but elsewhere they are 17th-century insertions. Parts of the three main crutchtrusses are visible.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are covered
with stone slates, tiles or slates. Many of the buildings
have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
a(4). Yew Tree Cottage, on the S. side of the road,
220 yards E. of the Castle, has exposed timber-framing.
a(5). Cottage, two tenements, on the E. side of the
road, 30 yards N.E. of (4), was built early in the
18th century and has stone walls. On the central
chimney-stack is a stone with the initials and date
a(6). Ford Cottage, 20 yards N. of (5), has exposed
timber-framing and a weather-boarded outbuilding
extending to the E.
a(7). Castle Cottage, on the S. side of the road,
100 yards E.S.E. of the Castle, is partly of stone and has
been much altered and enlarged.
a(8). Bank Cottage, two tenements, on the N. side
of the road, 300 yards W.S.W. of the Castle. It was
built probably early in the 18th century, and the walls
are of stone.
a(9). Brook House, on the N.W. side of the road,
250 yards N. of the castle, is of L-shaped plan with the
wings extending towards the S. and W. Inside the
building is a small wooden panel with the initials and
date W.C., 1701.
b(10). Middle Moor, house and barn, 1,150 yards
S.S.E. of the castle. The House was completely
remodelled and enlarged in 1902. The Barn, S.E. of
the house, is of six bays, with weather-boarded walls
and a roof of king-post type.