69 STAUNTON-ON-WYE (B.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXV, S.W., (b)XXXII, N.W.)
Staunton-on-Wye is a parish 10 m. W.N.W. of
Hereford. The church is the principal monument.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Mary (Plate 155) stands
on the S. side of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings and some rough ashlar of
the same material. The roofs are covered with slates,
stone slates and tiles. The Nave was built c. 1180–1200.
Late in the 13th century the West Tower was added.
Early in the 14th century a N. chapel was built opening
into the nave by an arcade of two bays; about the
same time the tower-arch seems to have been widened.
The Chancel was re-built in 1720, and about 1775 the
N. chapel is said to have been pulled down. The
church has been restored in modern times, when the E.
part of the S. wall of the nave seems to have been
re-built; the South Porch was added in 1878.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Nave (49¾ ft. by
20 ft.) has, in the N. wall, a blocked early 14th-century
arcade of two bays with segmental-pointed arches of
two chamfered orders; the cylindrical column has a
roughly moulded capital and a chamfered base; the
responds are chamfered and stopped out to square at
the top and bottom; on the E. respond is a corbel,
with a ball-flower ornament, carrying the inner order;
the corbel on the W. respond has been re-cut; in the
blocking of the E. arch is a re-set 14th-century window of
two ogee-headed lights; towards the W. end of the
wall is a single roughly pointed late 12th-century
window; the blocked late 12th-century N. doorway
has chamfered jambs and round head. In the S. wall
are three windows, all originally of the 14th century,
but the easternmost is now all modern externally;
the middle window is partly restored and of two ogee-headed lights; the westernmost window is of similar
form but roughly executed; the late 12th-century
S. doorway has a round arch of two orders, the inner
moulded and continuous and the outer chamfered and
with a grooved and hollow-chamfered label; the jambs
have each a detached shaft with moulded base and
capital carved with simple water-leaves.
The West Tower (16 ft. square) is of late 13th-century
date and of three stages with a high battered plinth
and a pyramidal roof. The tower-arch is segmental-pointed and of three chamfered orders with a moulded
label; the chamfered responds have each an attached
shaft with moulded capital and base. In the N. wall is
a window of a single lancet-light; in the S. wall is a
window of one trefoiled light; in the W. wall, the
window is of one round-headed light, perhaps re-set,
and below it is a modern doorway. The second stage
has, in the E. wall, a doorway formerly opening into
the nave roof; in the S. wall is a window of one
trefoiled light; in the W. wall is a square-headed light.
The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two
The Roof of the nave is modern, but against the E.
wall is part of a rib or moulding with a grotesque head
at the apex. The pyramidal roof of the tower is
mediæval and has a heavy central post resting on crossed
Fittings—Communion Table: with heavy turned legs,
enriched top rails and shaped brackets, early 17th-century. Rails: Under tower-arch—two lengths of
rails, with symmetrically turned balusters, 17th-century,
probably communion-rails. Chairs: In chancel—two,
made up of early 17th-century framing and panelling.
Coffin-lids: In chancel—(1) tapering slab with remains of cross with foliage and a staff with a defaced
head at one side, 13th-century, 17th or 18th-century
initials J.A.K. added at top; (2) tapering slab with
incised cross having fleur-de-lis arms and stepped
calvary, 13th-century. In churchyard (3) tapering
slab with moulded edge and two formy crosses in sunk
circles, indented ornament at top and bottom, 13th-century. Font (Plate 56): round cup-shaped bowl with
moulded necking, round stem and moulded base, early
13th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments:
In nave—on N. wall, (1) to Isabell, wife of John
Kirwood, 1693, small stone tablet with incised scroll-work and shield-of-arms. In churchyard—S. of
chancel, (2) stone effigy of woman in close-fitting
gown and loose cloak, head on cushion, feet on beast,
over head, cinque-foiled canopy and angel-heads at
sides, early 14th-century, broken and defaced. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Catherine Sandford, 1710–
11; (2) to Isabel Kirwood, 1695; (3) to John Kyrwood, 1704, with shield-of-arms. Paintings: In nave—
on N. wall, the repainted date 1602; over N. doorway,
said to have been royal arms of Elizabeth, not now
visible. Panelling: In W. tower—forming enclosures
to staircase, etc., late 16th and early 17th-century
panelling; on S.W. enclosure, three arcaded panels
carved with trees, probably from an overmantel, also a
band of ornament, early 17th-century; on both
enclosures, carved designs, pieces of linen-fold
panelling, etc.; fixed to modern panelling, six medallions carved with heads of men and women in the
French renaissance style, also various carved spandrels
and two half-round posts with enrichments, early to
mid 16th-century. Plate: includes cup (Plate 60) and
cover-paten of 1576, the former with band of engraved
Condition—Good, except for crack in W. wall of
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed and with tile, slate or stone-slate covered
roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed external
timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
b(2). Church House Farm, house, 30 yards S.W. of the
church, has an original cross-wing at the N. end. The
main block has an 18th-century addition on the E., and
the S. cross-wing is modern. There are two original
windows with chamfered mullions. Inside the building
is an original wall-post with a shaped head.
b(3). Kilkington Farm, house, 600 yards N.N.E. of
the church, is of two dates, the lower N.E. wing being
probably the earlier and dating from c. 1600; it has
been refaced with 18th-century brick. Inside the
building is a 17th-century staircase and some panelling
of the same date. The roofs have heavy tie-beams on
b(4). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, 600 yards
N.W. of the church, was built late in the 17th or early
in the 18th century.
b(5). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 770 yards
N.W. of the church, has a thatched roof. It was built
probably early in the 18th century.
b(6). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, 60 yards
S.W. of (5), is continued on the W. as a barn.
b(7). Lower House Farm, house, on the N. side of the
road, 920 yards W.N.W. of the church, is of L-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the N. and E.
There is an 18th-century wing on the S.
b(8). The New Inn, on the S. side of the road, 220
yards W.S.W. of (7), has been much altered.
b(9). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 60 yards W.
of (8), has a projecting upper storey at the S. end, with
moulded pendants at the angles.
b(10). Rucketts, house, five tenements, 230 yards W.
of (9), has a cross-wing at the W. end. Inside the
building are some original moulded ceiling-beams.
b(11). The Warren, cottage, on the W. side of the
road, ¾ m. W. of the church.
b(12). Hackford Farm, house, nearly 1¼ m. W. of the
church, was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th
century, and is continued towards the S.W. as a barn.
b(13). Bliss Hall Farm, house, nearly 1 m. W.N.W.
of the church, was built probably early in the 18th
d(14). Pound Cottage, 80 yards N. of (13), is probably
of early 18th-century date, and has a stone oven
adjoining the chimney-stack.
a(15). Cottage, on the S.W. side of the road at Over
a(16). Cottage and smithy, 20 yards N.W. of (15),
has a cross-wing at the S.E. end.
a(17). House, two tenements, N.W. of (16). The
S.E. cross-wing is perhaps of the 16th century, but the
main block is a 17th-century building. The upper
storey projects at the N.E. end of the cross-wing on a
moulded bressummer and the gable above has diagonal
framing. The storehouse adjoining on the S.E. is
probably of the 17th century.
a(18). Cottage, 60 yards N.W. of (17).
a(19). Bridgend Farm, house and barn on the N.E.
side of the road, about 2½ m. W.N.W. of the church.
The House has a S.E. bay, which seems to date from
c. 1600 or earlier, but the rest of the building has been
much altered and refronted in brick. The lower N.W.
wing is of early 17th-century date. Inside the building
is a 17th-century staircase, with turned balusters and
The Barn, S.E. of the house, is weather-boarded.
a(20). Cottage, two tenements, on the N.E. edge of
the parish at Duck Street, nearly 1¼ m. N.N.W. of the
church, has been heightened in modern times.
a(21). Cottage, 60 yards W. of (20).
a(22). Cottage, on the W. side of the lane, 1,580 yards
N.N.W. of the church, was built late in the 17th or
early in the 18th century.
a(23). Cottage, on the E. side of the lane, 260 yards
S.S.E. of (22), has a thatched roof.
a(24). Mears Farm, cottage, on the W. side of the
lane, 1,100 yards W.N.W. of the church.