72 TITLEY (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. X, S.E.)
Titley is a parish 3 m. N.E. of Kington. Titley
Court is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of St. Peter stands on the N.E.
side of the parish. It probably served as the chapel
of the alien priory of Titley, a cell of the Abbey of
Tiron, the head of a reformed branch of the Benedictine
order. The church was entirely re-built in 1868 and
Fittings—Plate: includes an Elizabethan cup and
cover-paten without date-marks, a cup of 1569, with a
cover-paten, given in 1871, a flagon of 1712, given by
E.H., E.S. in 1714, and an alms-dish of 1712.
(2). Priory Cottage, immediately N.W. of the
church, is of two storeys, timber-framed, and with slate-covered roofs. It was built probably late in the 16th
or early in the 17th century, but may represent one of the
buildings of the Cell mentioned above. The timber-framing is exposed, as are the ceiling-beams.
(3) Eywood, house, over ¾ m. S.W. of the church,
is of three storeys with cellars; the walls are of brick
with stone dressings, and the roofs are slate-covered.
It is said to have been built in 1705 by Edward Harley,
brother of the first of the Harleys, Earls of Oxford,
and was enlarged and repaired by the fifth Earl. The
house was again refronted and altered in 1898. The
main building is rectangular on plan with a central
court. The elevations have now no ancient features,
and it is impossible to say what parts of the building
of 1705 survive.
(4). Titley Court, 600 yards S. of the church, is of
two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are mainly
of stone and the roofs are slate-covered. The S.W.
corner of the house appears to be part of an early 17th-century timber-framed building. The house was
altered in the 18th century and again more extensively
in the 19th century and modern times. The exterior
has no ancient features. Inside the building, the fireplace in the hall has an early 17th-century overmantel,
made up with old material with some modern work;
it is of two stages and two bays divided and flanked by
terminal figures; both stages have enriched arcaded
panels and are divided by a carved band or frieze;
at the top is a second carved band; the overmantel is
supported on two turned and carved posts like the
posts of a canopied bed. On the opposite side of the
hall is a feature made up of similar woodwork, but in
place of a fireplace is a panelled centrepiece flanked by
carved and fluted balusters; the overmantel is of two
stages, the lower of two arcaded bays divided and flanked
by terminal figures, two male and one female; the upper
stage is of three bays with arabesque panels below and
arcaded panels above. In the staircase-hall is a late
16th or early 17th-century overmantel (Plate 52) of two
bays divided and flanked by terminal figures; the bays
have enriched arched panels filled with figures of
scrolled monsters; in the spandrels are winged figures
blowing horns; on the frieze are two carved monsters;
the shelf is gadrooned, and supporting it are two carved
balusters similar to those of the hall fireplace; above
the fireplace is a deep frieze carved with scrolls. The
Library, on the S. side of the house, has a late 17th-century plaster ceiling (Plate 162) divided into nine
panels by heavy moulded and enriched trabeations, the
panels have wreaths of bay and oak leaves, except the
middle panel, which has a wreath of fruit and flowers;
the walls are lined with bolection-moulded panelling
of the same date, with cornice and dado-rail. The
early 17th-century fireplace came from Upper Mowley,
Staunton-on-Arrow; it has heavy carved and turned
balusters supporting the shelf and an overmantel of
three enriched arcaded bays, divided and flanked by
terminal figures; in the panels are the initials and date
A.G. 1625; the frieze is carved with dolphins and
masks. A room on the first floor is lined with early
18th-century panelling. The late 17th-century staircase (Plate 74), from the first floor to the attics, has
turned or twisted balusters, moulded rails and square
newels with turned terminals.
(5). The Vicarage, 100 yards S. of the church, is of
18th and 19th-century date, but S.W. of it is a timber-framed and two-storeyed outbuilding of the 17th
century. It has exposed framing and a roof covered
with stone slates.
(6). Yew Tree Cottage, 340 yards W.S.W. of the
church, is of two storeys, timber-framed, and with slate-covered roofs. It was built late in the 17th or early
in the 18th century, and has exposed framing.
(7). Oatcroft Farm, house, 1 m. W.S.W. of the
church, has been largely re-built but incorporates parts
of an early 17th-century building with exposed ceiling-beams.
(8). Burnt House, on the N. side of the parish,
nearly 1¼ m. N.W. of the church, is of two storeys, stone
built, and with a slate-covered roof. It was built in the
17th century and has exposed ceiling-beams.
(9). Ring-work, possibly a disc-barrow, 1¼ m.
W.N.W. of the church, consists of a circular area,
105 ft. in diameter, surrounded by a very slight bank,
with traces of an outer ditch. The bank is 8 ft. wide
and rises about 1 ft. above the level of the enclosure.
N.B.—For Offa's Dyke, see p. xxx.