75 WHITNEY (A.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXIV, S.W.)
Whitney is a small parish on the N. bank of the Wye,
6 m. S.S.W. of Kington.
(1). Parish Church of SS. Peter and Paul
stands in the W. part of the parish. The old church
was largely washed away in 1720 and the existing church
was partly re-built in 1740. Mediæval walling remains
on the E. and N. sides, and the E. window of the
chancel is probably in situ; it is of late 14th-century
date and of two trefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head.
Fittings—Font: hemispherical bowl, with moulded
octagonal base and square plinth with spur-ornaments,
bowl 12th or 13th-century, base probably 14th-century. Monument: In chancel—on S. wall, to
Thomas Williams, 1698, grey and veined marble tablet
with Ionic side-columns, drapery, entablature, curved
pediment and achievement-of-arms. Panelling: forming dado in chancel and nave and incorporated in backs
of pews, 17th-century panelling and a cupboard-door
inscribed 1704. Plate: includes a cup and cover-paten of 1693. Reredos: In chancel—early 17th-century overmantel of four bays with three terminal
figures, two enriched arcaded panels and frieze carved
with dolphins and three shields, one shield with the
date 1629 and the others with foliage; flanking reredos,
17th and 18th-century panelling; all re-used from
elsewhere. Seating: In nave—incorporated in pews,
two 16th-century bench-ends with shaped tops and
elbow-rests. Miscellanea: On the lych-gate of 1903
is re-set a 16th-century gable-cross with flowered arms,
and each face carved with the letters I.H.S., fleurs-delis, rosettes, etc., in low relief.
(2). The Grove, house, on the N. side of the road,
1,170 yards W. of the church, is of two storeys, formerly
timber-framed, but refaced with stone and brick; the
roofs are slate-covered. It was built late in the 17th
century, and has a later extension on the W. Inside
the building some ceiling-beams are exposed.
(3). Bridge House, at Millhalf, ¾ m. N.E. of the
church, is of two storeys, timber-framed, and partly
refaced in stone. It was built early in the 17th century,
and has some exposed ceiling-beams.
(4). Cottage, on the S. side of the road at Stowe,
1 m. E.S.E. of the church, is of one storey with attics,
formerly timber-framed, but refaced in stone; the roofs
are stone-covered. It was built late in the 17th century,
and has an exposed ceiling-beam.