79 WINFORTON (B.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXIV, S.E.)
Winforton is a small parish on the left bank of the
Wye, 6 m. S. of Kington. The church and Winforton
Court are the principal monuments. The church
contains an interesting 18th-century organ and case,
not included in the inventory, as probably after 1714.
(1). Parish Church of St. Michael (Plate 9) stands
in the village. The walls are of local sandstone rubble
with dressings of the same material; the roofs are
covered with slates. There is little evidence of the date
of the Nave except that it was heightened when the roof
was re-built in the 14th century. The Chancel was re-built and the North Transept added c. 1300. The lower
part of the West Tower is of uncertain mediæval date,
but the timber bell-chamber was added in the 16th
century. The E. wall of the chancel was re-built
probably in 1698. The church was drastically restored
in 1895, when the S. wall of the nave and part of the S.
wall of the chancel were re-built, the roofs opened out
and the South Porch added.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (24½ ft. by
19¾ ft.) has a re-set and partly restored E. window of
c. 1300 and of three plain pointed lights, with the
mullions carried up into the two-centred head to form
the middle light. Set in the external face of the wall is
a stone inscribed "John Houlds, 1698," probably
recording the rebuilding of the wall. The gable has
re-set remains of a late 14th or early 15th-century cross,
with the Crucifixion and conventional ornament. In
the N. wall are two modern windows. In the S. wall
are two windows, the eastern much restored, of
c. 1300, the western entirely modern; they are each of
two trefoiled lights; between them is a blocked doorway of c. 1300, with a two-centred head. There is no
The Nave (55 ft. by 19¼ ft.) has, in the N. wall, an
arch of c. 1300; it is segmental-pointed and of two
chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the inner
springing from semi-octagonal shafts with moulded
capitals; further W. are two modern windows and a
blocked doorway with a segmental-pointed head. In
the S. wall are three modern windows, and the S. doorway is also modern, except for one moulded jamb-stone.
The North Transept (16¼ ft. by 14¾ ft.) has a modern
doorway in the E. wall. In the N. wall is a window of
c. 1300 similar to the E. window of the chancel. Above
the gable is an original pierced gable-cross.
The Church, Plan
The West Tower (9¼ ft. square) is of three storeys, the
two lower of stone and the bell-chamber of timber-framing with a pyramidal roof. The ground storey
has a blocked doorway in the E. wall, recessed on the
Nave side, and a modern doorway in the S. wall;
there is a square-headed single-light window in both
the N. and W. walls to both lower storeys. The
bell-chamber has exposed framing in three ranges, all of
modern restoration; above the roof is an ancient
The Roofs of the chancel and nave are of the 14th
century, partly restored; they are of trussed-rafter
type with scissor-braces.
Fittings—Altar: In pavement of S. porch—slab
with modern cross cut in middle, said to be former
altar-slab. Communion Table: with turned legs and
moulded top-rail, early 17th-century. Communion
Rails: with turned balusters, moulded rail and turned
terminals above it, early 17th-century. Floor-slabs:
In S. porch—(1) to Anna Guest, 1699; (2) to
Benjamin Guest, late 17th or early 18th-century.
Font: octagonal bowl with underside splayed to meet
cylindrical stem on round steps, probably 13th-century, plain lid, probably 17th-century, pierced for
former staples, etc. Piscinæ: In chancel—recess with
chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head, square
drain, c. 1300. In N. transept—in S. wall, recess with
chamfered jambs and trefoiled head, scalloped fanshaped drain, c. 1300. Plate: includes Elizabethan
cup, without marks and cover-paten, with the date 1599.
Pulpit (Plate 71): five sides of octagon, with panelling
in two heights, lower plain and upper with two enriched
arcaded panels, inscribed in black letter—"Be not
afraide of their faces, for I am with thee, saithe the
Lorde. Jeram, Chap. I, verse 8 R.P." and "This
pulpit was given by Thomas Higgins, gent. Anno
Domini 1613," other sides late 17th century. Scratchings: On E. and S.E. windows of chancel—various
Condition—Good, much altered.
(2). Village Cross, on the S. side of the road,
100 yards W.N.W. of the church, is now represented
only by a square stone base with a moulded top-edge
and a square socket for the shaft. The stone is loose
but rests on a rough foundation, approximately round
(3). Winforton Court, house and outbuildings,
on the S. side of the road, 230 yards W. of the church.
The House (Plate 25) is of two storeys with attics, timber-framed, and with slate-covered roofs; it is of H-shaped
plan with the cross-wings at the E. and W. ends, and
was built probably in the 16th century, but much altered
and partly re-built in the 17th century. The lower part
of the N. front has been refaced in brick and stone;
the early 17th-century porch has an outer entrance with
a shaped head and an inner doorway with a moulded
frame and a nail-studded door with moulded fillets
planted on and strap-hinges; the gable of the E. wing
projects on brackets. The W. and S. sides have been
wholly or partly refronted in stone, but the E. side has
some exposed timber-framing and a 17th-century doorway with a shaped head. Inside the building some of
the ceiling-beams are exposed, and there is a moulded
door frame. The early 17th-century staircase has
turned balusters, panelled risers, moulded rails, and
square newels with moulded terminals.
The Barn, W. of the house, is of the 17th century,
timber-framed and of five bays. Further W. is a two-storeyed outbuilding of the same date, partly of stone
and partly of exposed timber-framing; a three-light
window has original moulded mullions. A second
timber-framed barn, also of the 17th century, stands
S.W. of the house.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed, and with tile, slate or stone-covered
roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed external
timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
(4). Old House Farm, house, 160 yards W. of the
church, has cross-wings at the E. and W. ends. The W.
wing, and probably the main block, were built early in
the 16th century, but an upper floor was inserted in the
main block and the E. wing added or re-built in the
17th century. On the N. front, the lower part of the
W. cross-wing has original close-set timber-framing
and the upper storey projects on curved brackets;
the main block has a 17th-century dormer-window of
five mullioned and transomed lights. Inside the
building are some early 17th-century moulded ceiling-beams and a wall-post of the same period, with a
(5). Cross Farm, house, 100 yards W.N.W. of the
church, has a cross-wing at the W. end. The cross-wing is of mediæval date and has an original central
crutch-truss and crutch-construction in the N. wall.
The E. wing is a 17th-century addition.
(6). Cottage, 60 yards W. of the church, has a modern
wing on the W.
(7). Cottage, 70 yards N.W. of the church.
(8). Cottage, 60 yards E. of the church, has a thatched
roof. The S. wall has been refronted in brick.
(9). Malt House Cottage, 100 yards N.N.E. of the
church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the W. and S. The S. wing has been partly
refronted in stone.
(10). Court Barn, cottage and barns, ½ m. S.S.E. of the
church. The Cottage is of late 17th or early 18th-century date. The Barn, N.W. of the cottage, has a
N.E. wing of five bays and a S.E. wing of two storeys.
Further N. are remains of a second barn.