82 YAZOR (C.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXV, S.E.)
Yazor is a parish 8 m. N.W. of Hereford. The old
church is the principal monument.
(1). Old Parish Church of St. John the Baptist
stands on the S. side of the parish. The walls are of
local sandstone rubble with ashlar and dressings of
the same material. The roofs are tiled. The South
Transept appears to have been built late in the 13th
or early in the 14th century, at which time there was also
a S. aisle. The existing S. arcade of the Nave is of the
15th century, and it was probably the intention to
remove the W. arch of the transept which now springs
from a pier in the middle bay of the arcade; the West
Tower was added probably in the same century. The
new church of St. Mary was built in 1855, when the old
church was partly demolished. In or about 1858 the
S. transept was restored or re-built and roofed.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (formerly
25 ft. by 13½ ft.) has been entirely demolished.
The Nave (formerly 39½ fit. by 20½ ft.) has been
demolished except for the 15th-century S. arcade (Plate
14) of three bays with two-centred arches of two
chamfered orders; the octagonal columns and semi-octagonal responds have moulded capitals and square
The South Transept (23 ft. by 19 ft.) (Plate 14) is of
late 13 th or early 14th-century date, very largely re-built
or refaced. In the E. wall is an early 14th-century
window of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil
above. In the S. wall is a window of three trefoiled
lights. In the W. wall is a similar window, but of
two lights only; further N. is a two-centred arch of
two chamfered orders; the N. respond has a moulded
impost, and above the arch is the weathering of the
former pent-roof of the aisle.
The West Tower (about 18½ ft. square) is now of two
stages, and probably of 15th-century date. The tower
arch has chamfered responds and four-centred arch;
it was filled in perhaps in the 16th century, and in the
filling is a doorway with double chamfered jambs and
flat four-centred arch in a square head. In the W. wall
is a square-headed window, and the N. and S. walls
have each a single-light window now blocked. The
second stage, now partly ruined, has a single-light
window in the N., S. and W. walls, all blocked except
the W. window. The floor of this stage was supported
on a timber framework with posts in the angles of the
stage below, and a central post supported the floor of the
Fittings—Bells: one, cracked, and inscribed in
Lombardic capitals, "Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus
tecum," probably 15th-century; two bells in modern
church, inaccessible. Brackets: In transept—on E.
wall, two head-corbels, 14th or 15th-century. Font:
In modern church—octagonal bowl with moulded
under-edge, plain stem and modern base, 15th-century.
Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: in churchyard—N.W. of tower, (1) to James Bayly, jun., 1705,
headstone; (2) to Katherine, wife of John Bayly,
1695, headstone. Floor-slab: In transept—on E.
wall, two ornamental cross-heads in circles with the
sunk outlines of two human heads below, rest defaced,
13th or early 14th-century. Piscina: In transept—
re-set in S. wall, recess with trefoiled ogee head, 14th-century, no drain.
Condition—Partly ruined and much overgrown
(2). Dovecote at Foxley (Plate 40), 1,000 yards E.N.E.
of the old church, stands at the corner of the stable
yard. It is a hexagonal brick building of late 17th or
early 18th-century date, with a tiled roof and a timber
lantern. The walls stand on a stone plinth.
(3). Moorhampton Farm, house, about 1 m. W.
of the old church, is of two storeys with attics, timber-framed and with slate-covered roofs. The house is
of early type, but nothing remains which can be
definitely dated before the end of the 16th or the
beginning of the 17th century. The roof has been
reconstructed and the walls largely refaced in brick.
Some of the timber-framing is exposed. Inside the
building are some exposed ceiling-beams, and on the
first floor is a door with ornamental strap-hinges.
The early 18th-century staircase has turned balusters,
moulded strings and square newels.
(4). Cottage, on the S. side of the road at Bunn's
Lane, 1¼ m. N.W. of the old church, is of one storey
with attics, timber-framed, and with roofs of stone
slates. It was built in the 17th century on an L-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the N.E. and
S.E. The timber-framing is exposed externally, as are
(5). Pool Cottage, at the W. end of Yarsop, ¾ m.
N.N.E. of the old church, is of one storey with attics,
timber-framed, and with roofs of stone slates. It was
built in the 17th century, but has been much altered.
Some of the timber-framing and ceiling-beams are
(6). Cottage, 60 yards E. of (5), is of similar date
N.B.—For Offa's Dyke, see p. xxx.
The Church, Plan