ADDENDA ET CORRIGENDA
Abbey Dore—(2) Parish Church.—The plan of the
church opposite p. 4, and showing the excavated
portions of the destroyed nave, was unfortunately
prepared without including the results of the
further excavations made in 1905 by Mr. Roland
W. Paul, and of which a plan was published by
him in Archæologia Cambrensis (1927), p. 269.
These further excavations indicated that the nave
had been extended in the 13th century, one bay
in advance of the original or, at any rate, the
projected W. front. Remains were also found of
the Rood-screen with its altar, and of various
other ritual arrangements. The accompanying
plan indicates the results of these excavations as
shown on a plan by Mr. Roland Paul, published
in the Builder of September 25th, 1931.
The plan in the 1st volume of the Commission's
Inventory should be further amended by the
deletion of the word 'Frater' in the range of
building W. of the lane and cloister. The monks'
frater, as indicated in the text, lay to the N. of the
cloister, and the lay-brothers' frater no doubt
occupied a more northerly portion of the building
called Frater on the plan.
Aconbury—(1) Parish Church.—The Bell is of the 14th
century, and is inscribed "Omnes Sancti orate pro
Cusop—(1) Parish Church.—The Bells are modern.
Dewsall—(1) Parish Church.—The 2nd Bell is of the
Ganarew—(1) Parish Church.—Insert Churchyard
Cross—S.E. of church, steps only old, shaft, etc.,
(3) Manor House, N.W. of the church, a stone-built house of early 17th-century origin, but much
altered, and with various additions. The S.
chimney-stack has two diagonal shafts.
Goodrich—(17) Queen's Stone, a monolith standing in
the bend of the river nearly 1 m. S.W. of the
church. The block with the grooves in the strata
is of natural formation, but seems to have been
placed in its present position by human agency.
Grafton—(1) Upper Bullingham Church.—Insert Bells:
two; 1st, mediæval and uninscribed; 2nd, by
Clibury of Wellington, 1680.
Harewood—(1) Church.—The larger Bell is said to
be of c. 1400, and to be inscribed "Johannis de
Coxburgh me fecit."
Hereford—(3) All Saints Church.—The painting on
the E. wall has recently been cleaned, and the subject is now clear as part of an Annunciation. The
figure of the Virgin kneels at a prayer-desk with
a book upon it; at the back and above is a chalice
and host apparently set in a custodia. In an
upper register, divided from the main subject by
a line, is a half figure of God the Father with the
Dove on the left side.
(53) Black Lion Inn.—In 1932 some interesting wall-paintings (Plates 186, 187) were found
in the middle room on the first floor of this
building. From the costumes and decoration
they appear to date from the middle or second
half of the 16th century, and consist of a series of
figure-subjects representing the breaking of the
Commandments, with remains of black-letter
inscriptions above, and strips of panelled decoration with jewel-ornament between the subjects.
The first three Commandments, presumably on the
W. partition wall, have been destroyed. On the
N. wall appear the following: (a) 4th Commandment. A man breaking the Sabbath day by
gathering sticks with the remains of an inscription below referring to "Num[bers XV] 32";
(b) 5th Commandment. Absalom hanging by his
hair and being speared by Joab (II Samuel XVIII,
14); partly defaced inscription above; (c) 6th
Commandment. Joab slaying Amasa by striking
him under the fifth rib (II Samuel XX, 9); inscription above "Thou shalt doe noe Murder. To
kills a crying Crime but . . . to slay a
frend . . . . As Joab heere Amasa executed
. . . nt God's just wrath blood . . . .";
(d) 7th Commandment. The sin of Hophni and
Phinehas before the tabernacle (I Samuel II, 22);
partly obliterated inscription above referring to
Phinehas. On S. wall, at E. end, (e) 9th Commandment. Part of subject only with figures and
architecture; perhaps the trial of Susannah;
(f) 10th Commandment. King David with a
battle in the background probably representing
the death of Uriah (II Samuel XI, 17); inscription
above referring to Naboth. The paintings have
been carefully exposed and the outlines strengthened.
(89a) House on the S.E. side of Commercial
Street, 60 yards N. of St. Peter's Church. It is
largely of the 18th century but incorporates, at
the back, remains of a 15th-century timber hall.
This was 18 to 20 ft. wide, and the lower parts of
the roof-trusses remain, with moulded main
timbers; on the W. side is a length of moulded
cornice. At the S. end is the upper part of a
framed screen; two panels with trefoil-headed
filling remain, a door-head with a moulded frame
and a moulded and embattled cornice.
Kilpeck—(1) Parish Church.—The Bell is of the 14th
century, and is inscribed "Ave Maria gracia plena."
Longtown—(1) Parish Church, Clodock.—The 3rd
Bell of 1624 has been recast.
(2) Longtown Church.—Both Bells are modern.
Marstow—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: two, 1st by
R. Hendly, 15th-century, and inscribed "Sec.
Georgi. ora pro nobis."
Moccas—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: two; one is of
the 13th century, the other probably mediæval;
both are uninscribed.
Rowlstone—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: the 2nd and
3rd Bells are probably by Isaac Hadley, c. 1700.
Thruxton—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: the 1st Bell
has been recast; the 3rd is by H. Clibury,
Whitchurch—(2) Parish Church.—Bells: two, uninscribed; 1st, mediæval; 2nd, 17th-century.
Avenbury—(1) Parish Church.—In 1933 this church was
closed and many of the fittings removed elsewhere,
as follows:—The Bells to St. Andrew by the
Wardrobe (City of London), the Communion Table
and Screen to the Mission Church at Munderfield
Row in the parish of Avenbury, and the Communion
Cup to the Museum at Hereford.
Brockhampton (by Ross)—(1) Parish Church.—Bells:
two, both uninscribed and of c. 1300.
Collington—(1) Parish Church.—The Bell is of the
17th century and uninscribed.
Donnington—(2) Parish Church.—Bells: two; 1st
uninscribed; 2nd by J. Martin, 1682.
Edvin Ralph—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: two; 1st
by John Baker of Hereford, 1587, and the 2nd by
J. Green, 1603.
Fownhope—(1) Parish Church.—In the churchyard,
N. of the church, is a churchyard-cross with a
modern shaft set in a 14th or 15th-century socketstone of square to octagonal form and standing on
a square base.
The works of the clock in the church tower are
possibly of 17th-century date.
Grendon Bishop—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: two;
1st by John Martin, 1690, and the 2nd early 14th-century and uninscribed.
Holmer—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: 2nd by J. Greene,
Kenchester—(2) Parish Church.—Bells: both uninscribed: 1st, 17th-century; 2nd, 14th-century.
Mordiford—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: five, by
W. Huntbach of Worcester, 1687.
Pipe and Lyde—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: the 4th is
by R. Hendly.
Pixley—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: 1st by J. Martin,
Putley—(2) Parish Church.—Bells: 2nd cast at
Bristol c. 1400 and inscribed "Sancte Michael";
3rd by J. Finch, 1636.
Sapey, Upper—(1) Parish Church.—Bell: 15th century.
Stanford Bishop—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: both
by J. Martin, 1672.
Stretton Sugwas—(1) Parish Church.—Bells: 1st
by Clibury, 1671.
Wellington—(30) Cottage on the N.E. verge of the
parish over 2 m. N. of the church. It is a timber-framed building of late 17th-century date, with a