AN INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS
IN EAST HEREFORDSHIRE
ACCREDITED TO A DATE BEFORE 1714
Arranged by Parishes
(Unless otherwise stated, the dimensions given in the Inventory are internal. Monuments with titles
printed in italics are covered by an introductory sentence to which reference should be made. The
key-plans of those churches which are not illustrated by hatched plans are drawn to a uniform scale
of 48 ft. to the inch, with the monumental portions shown in solid black.)
1 ACTON BEAUCHAMP (D.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXVIII, N.E.)
Acton Beauchamp is a small parish on the Worcestershire border 4 m. S.E, of Bromyard, formerly in
Worcestershire. The carved stone in the church is
the most interesting feature.
(1). Parish Church of St. Giles stands in the W.
angle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone
and the roofs are tiled. The S. doorway is of c. 1200
and was re-set when the whole church was re-built in
The pre-Conquest carved stone, re-set in the tower,
is of particular interest.
Architectural Description—The S. doorway, of
c. 1200, has a round arch of two orders, the inner
chamfered and continuous and the outer moulded and
springing from detached shafts with moulded bases
and abaci; the W. shaft has a scalloped capital and the
E. shaft has a capital carved with three heads. The
bell-chamber of the tower has in each face a lancet-window perhaps of c. 1200 re-set.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st inscribed in Lombardic
capitals "Sancte Gabrihel ora pro nobis," 2nd similar
and inscribed "Sancte Petre ora pro nobis," both
probably 15th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with
moulded top, concave under side carved with large
pateræ, plain stem and hollow-chamfered base, late
15th-century, much repaired in cement. Plate: consists of cup and cover-paten probably of late 17th-century date. Miscellanea: Incorporated in walls,
various 12th-century worked stones. Re-used as lintel
of S. doorway of tower, with segmental head of doorway cut out of it, tapering stone (3 ft. 7 in. by 13½ in.
at top and 16½ in. at base, cut away at back and now
9 in. thick) with carved panel on face (Plate 18) of
scrolled foliage with sheaths at branch-junctions,
trefoiled and other leaves, bird and two beasts in the
scrolls, probably part of 9th-century cross-shaft.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed and with tiled roofs. Some of the
buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed
timber-framing and ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(2). Sinton's End Farm, house and barns 1,520 yards
S.E. of the church. The House was built probably in
1633, on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the S.W. and N.W. The S.W. wing was
extended early in the 18th century. A piece of oak
beam from the house and now preserved at Sevington
in the same parish, is carved with the date and initials
G.H. 1633. Inside the building, the early 18th-century
staircase has turned balusters.
The Barn, S.E. of the house, is of five bays. The
two-storeyed Outbuilding, N.W. of the house, is probably
of the same period.
(3). Dawfields, cottage W. of Acton Green and about
1 m. E. of the church, has been partly refaced in stone.
(4). Cottage, 360 yards S.E. of the cross-roads at
Acton Green, is of late 17th or early 18th-century date.
(5). Cottage, 250 yards S. of the road and about
1¾ m. E. of the church, has a late 17th-century panelled
door. Inside the building are two moulded ceiling-beams.
(6). Cottage, on the S. side of the road 400 yards N.E.
of (5), was built probably early in the 18th century.
(7). Wooton's Farm, house, nearly 1¼m. E. of the
church, has been refaced in stone and added to on the
(8). The Hallets, cottage 750 yards N.N.E. of (7).
(9). Halfridge Farm, house and barn about ¾ m.
N.E. of the church. The House has been partly refaced
in stone. The Barn, S.W. of the house, is of late 17th
or early 18th-century date.