3 ASTON INGHAM (D.f.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)LII, N.W., (b)LII, N.E., (c)LII, S.W.)
Aston Ingham is a parish in the S.E. corner of the
county, 5½ m. E. of Ross.
b(1). Parish Church of St. John the Baptist
(Plate 7), stands in the middle of the parish. The
walls are of local sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings
of the same material; the roofs are covered with slate.
The building is of late 12th or early 13th-century origin,
but was almost entirely re-built in 1891. The Chancel
retains traces of original work; the Nave incorporates
some original features in the N. and S. walls, and the
W. wall is of 13th-century date. The West Tower is of
the 16th century.
Among the fittings the two 13th-century carved
coffin lids and the 17th-century lead font are of interest.
Architectural Description—The Chancel is modern
except the W. wall, which was incorporated in the
rebuilding. In the N. wall is a lancet-window in which
some old stones have been re-used, and in the S. wall is
a re-set and restored 13th-century doorway with
moulded jambs and a two-centred head. The chancel-arch is of 12th-century origin, re-built probably in the
13th century, and has responds and a two-centred arch
of two chamfered orders with a hollow chamfered
impost-moulding at the springing and chamfered
plinths; the responds have been heightened and have
The Nave has in the N. wall a re-set lancet-window and
a 13th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and a
two-centred head. In the S. wall is a re-set and restored
13th-century doorway with jambs and two-centred head
of two orders, the inner chamfered and the outer
moulded with a keel-roll. In the W. wall can be seen
the outer splays and springers to the rear-arches of two
13th-century windows which were blocked by the insertion of the W. tower within the nave.
The West Tower (9 ft. by 9¼ ft.) was added in the 16th
century, and was built within the nave, the W. wall of
which was incorporated in the W. wall of the tower.
It is in three stages with a high splayed plinth to the N., S.
and E. walls, and is surmounted by a pyramidal roof.
In the E. wall of the ground stage is a round-headed
doorway opening into the nave, and in the W. wall a
square-headed window of three trefoiled lights with a
restored sill and modern mullions. The second stage
has in each of the N., S. and W. walls a narrow loop
light, and in each wall of the bell-chamber is a square-headed louvred opening.
Fittings—Bells: tenor inscribed in Lombardic
capitals, "Sancta Margareta ora pro nobis," probably
15th-century, and another bell without inscription may
be mediæval. Churchyard Cross: Incorporated in
modern cross, lower part of octagonal stem and square
base, with angle-stops, of 15th-century cross. Coffin-lids: In chancel—re-set vertically against E. wall,
(1) with hollow chamfered edges and top carved in high
relief with head and shoulders of a priest (Plate 49),
set within trefoiled headed recess with cross below with
elaborate foliated head, small portion of bottom of lid
missing; S. of E. window, (2) carved with crudely
shaped figure of a priest (Plate 49) in low relief, with
head on cushion within trefoiled arch and hands in
prayer, much worn and mutilated; both c. 1300. Communion Table: In W. tower—with moulded top, turned
legs and plain stretchers, late 17th-century. Font
(Plate 56): with cylindrical lead bowl with moulded top
and bottom rims and drum ornamented in relief with
initials W.R. and W.M. and date 1689, cherub-heads
acanthus-leaves and foliage; modern stem with 13th-century moulded capital and chamfered base. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In churchyard—
S. of nave (1) to Thomas Perkins, 1712, head-stone with
scrolled top carved with cherub-head and drapery;
(2) to William Perkins, 1708, head-stone, with scrolled
top carved with cherub holding book; (3) to William
and William, sons of William Perkins, 1700 and 1701
respectively, twin head-stone with scrolled top; (4) to
William Perkins, 1686, head-stone with scrolled top;
S.W. of chancel (5) to John Lodge, 1707, and Jane his
wife, 1711, head-stone; (6) to Margaret (Wingod), wife
of BenjaminRudg, 1692, head-stone with flat pedimental
top; (7) to William, son of William Wingod, 1705–6,
headstone; (8) to William Wingod, 1700, head-stone;
(9) to Richard Colwell, 1711–12, and Mary his wife,
1716, twin head-stone with scrolled top; N. of chancel,
(10) to John Colwell, 1714, headstone. Floor slabs:
In nave—at W. end (1) to John Rudge, 1712, Alice his
wife, 1723, with later inscription below; S. of porch
(2) to Thomas Moris, 1702–3. Plate: Includes an
Elizabethan cup (Plate 69) of typical design with bands
of incised ornament round bowl, but without dateletter. Stoup: In S. porch, re-set, with circular bowl
and rounded outer face, probably mediæval. Miscellanea: In churchyard—on N. side re-used as support
to sundial, fragment of moulded jamb (?), 15th-century.
By N.E. gate, fragment of coffin-lid with incised
Condition—Good, mostly re-built.
b(2). Rectory, 250 yards E.N.E. of the church, is of
two storeys with attics and cellars. The walls are of
brick and the roofs are tiled. The W. wing was built
c. 1700 and has a brick band between the storeys. The
interior has been largely modernised, but retains some
b(3). Coldwell Cottage, 1,100 yards E. of the
church, is of two storeys; the walls are of local rubble
and the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 17th
century, and retains some original chamfered ceiling-beams.
b(4). Yew Tree Inn, nearly 1¼ m. S.E. of the church,
is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble with some
timber-framing and the roofs are tiled. It was built in
the second half of the 17th century and retains some
b(5). Hay Farm, house, 1 m. S.E. of the church, is of
two storeys with attics and cellars; the walls are of
brick with a stone base and the roofs are covered with
slates. It was built in 1714, on a T-shaped plan, with
the cross-wing at the E. end. There is a brick band
between the storeys, and most of the window-frames are
original. In the S. gable is a stone with the initials
and date T. and A.P. 1714. The door to the cellars is
original and has strap-hinges.
c(6). Old Oaks Farm, house, ¾ m. S.S.E. of the
church, is of two storeys with cellars; the walls are of
rubble and the roofs are covered with slates. It was
built in 1601, the date inscribed above the doorway
on the E. side, with the initials W.G. The windows
have original moulded frames and mullions. Inside
the building, some timber-framing and chamfered
ceiling-beams are exposed.
b(7). Blakemoor Farm, house, about ¾ m. S. of
the church, is of two storeys; the walls are timber-framed with brick nogging and the roofs are tiled. It
was built early in the 17th century. The timber-framing is exposed on the N. front, and on the W. gable
is the date, 1739, of its repair. Inside the building the
timber-framing and ceiling-beams are exposed.
c(8). Upper Coldridge Farm, house and barns,
1¼ m. S.S.W. of the church. The House is of two
storeys; the walls are of rubble and brick and the
roofs are covered with slates. It was built probably
in the 16th century, but has been much altered. The
Barns form a block N. of the house; the middle and
largest barn is of late 16th-century date, timber-framed
with brick nogging; the roof is of queen-post type.
The eastern barn is of the 17th century, also timber-framed with brick nogging. The W. barn is probably
mediæval, and has rubble walls, patched with 16th-century brick.
b(9). Knightshill Farm, house, nearly 1¼ m. S.W.
of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics;
the walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered with
slates. It was built c. 1600, on a T-shaped plan with
the cross-wing at the N. end, and there are later extensions on the S. and E. The 17th-century door to the
cellars has hinges with foliated ends; one window has a
chamfered wooden frame and mullions. The chimney-stack has two diagonal shafts. Inside the building are
some chamfered ceiling-beams.
a(10). Warren Farm, house, 1¼ m. W.S.W. of the
church, is of two storeys with attics and cellars; the
walls are of plastered timber-framing and rubble, and
the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 16th century on
an L-shaped plan, with the wings extending towards
the S.E. and S.W.; the S.E. wing was extended
towards the N.W. in the 17th century, and there are
modern additions. On the W. side of the extension
is a window with chamfered wooden frame and mullions,
and in the original end of the S.E. wing is a window of
six lights with diamond-shaped mullions; it is now
internal and is blocked. Inside the building are some
chamfered ceiling-beams, and the roof is of queen-post