8 BODENHAM (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XX, S.W., (b)XXVII, N.W.,
Bodenham is a large parish and village, formerly a
market-town, 7 m. N.N.E. of Hereford. The church,
Broadfield Court, Moat House and Maund Farm are the
b(1). Parish Church of St. Michael (Plate 84)
stands in the village. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material;
there is also some tufa; the roofs are covered with
tiles. The extensive use of tufa perhaps indicates
the existence of a 12th-century building on the site,
but there are no surviving remains of it. The angles
of an aisleless nave of not earlier than c. 1200,
remain in the four corners of the existing Nave,
Early in the 14th century the North and South Aisles
were added to the nave, N. and S. arcades built, the
chancel probably re-built, and the West Tower added.
The aisles at this date had gabled roofs. Probably
late in the 14th or early in the 15th century the E. bay
of both aisles was raised and altered to form a transept,
W. walls and arches being inserted and the E. bay of
the main arcades heightened. The same heightening
was applied to the rest of the main arcades at some
uncertain period, but probably immediately after, the
old arches being re-set; this alteration necessitated the
substitution of pent roofs for the former gabled roofs
of the aisles, with the addition of a very low clearstorey
above them. About 1750 the chancel was re-built and
shortened by a bay. The church was restored in 1835
and again in 1890–91 when the Chancel was re-built
and the 14th-century Porch removed from the S. side
and re-built on the N. The late 17th-century drawing
of the church by T. Dingley shows the length of the
original chancel and the porch in its old position.
Bodenham, the Parish Church of St Michael
The church is of some architectural interest, and
among the fittings the 14th-century effigy is noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (26 ft. by
16½ ft.) is modern, but has a re-set early 14th-century E.
window of three trefoiled ogee lights with net-tracery
in a two-centred head with a moulded label. In the S.
wall is a re-set doorway probably of the same date and
now blocked; it has chamfered jambs and two-centred
head. The chancel-arch is modern.
The Nave (57½ ft. by 25¼ ft.) has, in the E. wall above
the chancel-arch, two early 14th-century windows each
of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; S. of the chancel-arch are two single-light 14th-century windows, the lower some 3½ ft.
above the floor and having a trefoiled ogee head, and
the upper above the springing-level of the chancel-arch
and now opening by a recess into the chancel; it also
has a trefoiled ogee head; on the gable of the wall
is an old sanctus bell-cote. The N. and S. arcades
(Plate 85) are both of four bays with tall octagonal
columns with moulded capitals and bases and two-centred arches of two chamfered orders; the responds
have attached half-columns, but the base of the S.E. is
modern and that of the N.W. respond is a moulded
capital inverted; the materials and arches are of the
14th century, but both arcades have been considerably
heightened at a subsequent date. E. of the N. arcade
is an opening connected with the former rood-loft;
it has an ogee head on the S. face. The clearstorey
has, in the three W. bays of each wall, a window of
two square-headed lights.
The North Transept (15¼ ft. by 14¼ ft.), formerly the
E. bay of the N. aisle, was altered late in the 14th or early
in the 15th century to form a transept, the former gabled
E. wall being raised and a new gable added to the N.
wall. In the E. wall is an early to mid 14th-century
window of three trefoiled ogee lights with tracery
above the side-lights in a two-centred head with a
moulded label. In the N. wall is a late 14th or early
15th-century transomed window of three trefoiled ogee
lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with
a moulded label. In the W. wall is an arch of the same
date, two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the
outer continuous and the inner dying on to the
responds; S. of the arch is a squint with splayed jambs
and trefoiled ogee head.
The South Transept (15¼ ft. by 14¼ ft.) is of similar
construction and date to the N. transept. In the E.
wall is an early 14th-century window of three-trefoiled
ogee lights with net-tracery in a two-centred head.
The window in the S. wall and the arch in the W. wall
are similar to the corresponding features in the N.
transept; the squint, N. of the arch, has an ogee head.
The North Aisle (15¼ ft. wide) has, in the N. wall,
two early 14th-century windows, each of two pointed
lights with a plain spandrel in a two-centred head; the
early 14th-century N. doorway has moulded jambs,
segmental-pointed arch and label; the outer member
of the arch has ball-flower ornament. In the W. wall
is a window of the same date and of three lights, the
side ones pointed and with mullions carried up to the
two-centred head to form the middle light.
The South Aisle (15¼ ft. wide) has, in the S. wall,
two windows, the eastern similar to the N. windows of
the N. aisle, and the western similar but with cinque-foiled lights and cusped spandrel; the S. doorway is
uniform with the N. doorway. In the W. wall is a
window uniform with the N. windows in the N. aisle.
The West Tower (13 ft. square) is of early 14th-century
date, ashlar-faced and of three stages with a plain
parapet and square pinnacles at the angles. The two-centred tower-arch is of three continuous chamfered
orders; above it are the marks of the lower and earlier
roof of the nave; above the rake of this roof-line are
straight joints showing that the nave was heightened
subsequent to the building of the tower. The W.
doorway is modern or completely restored; the W.
window is of two trefoiled lights with a quatre-foiled
spandrel in a two-centred head with a moulded label.
The turret-staircase has a blocked doorway leading to
a former gallery. The second stage has a window of
one trefoiled light in the N., S. and W. walls. In the
E. wall is a doorway leading into the earlier roof of
the nave. The upper storey of this stage has a plain
loop in the E., N. and S. walls. The bell-chamber
has, in each wall, a window of two pointed lights with
a plain spandrel in a two-centred head. The octagonal
stone spire is said never to have been completed;
the existing part extends some distance above the spire-lights and has a pyramidal roof; the spire-lights, in the
cardinal faces, are each of two trefoiled ogee lights with
a quatrefoil in a two-centred head under a gable with
the stumps of side-pinnacles.
The North Porch, formerly on the S. and reconstructed, is of 14th-century date. The outer archway
has jambs and two-centred arch of two chamfered
The Roof of the nave is of trussed-rafter type with
moulded wall-plates partly renewed; it is perhaps of
the 15th century. The transept-roofs are of the same
type with largely renewed wall-plates. The aisles
have pent-roofs of three bays with curved braces to the
trusses and moulded wall-plates largely renewed,
probably 15th-century except the modern rafters. The
porch has a roof with curved braces to the two trusses,
curved wind-braces and some modern timbers.
Fittings—Bells: six; 3rd, 4th and 5th by John
Martin, 1665. Chairs: two, modern, incorporate
small pieces of 17th-century carving. Chest: In
N. annexe—framed chest with plain panels, three
locks and inscription in nail-heads on front, "1684
Ex do. H.B." Churchyard Cross: S. of chancel—
platform of three steps, base and shaft destroyed; on
platform, perished gable-stone and cross. Font:
octagonal bowl with moulded rim and under side,
trefoil-headed panel in each face, plain stem and
moulded base, 14th-century. Monuments and Floor-slab.
Monuments: In chancel—in N. wall, (1) stone effigy
of woman (Plate 83) with coif, wimple, long cloak, right
hand on small figure of child in folds of cloak, head on
cushions, feet on defaced beast, early 14th-century,
partly defaced; on S. wall, (2) to John Pember, B.D.,
Prebendary of Hereford and vicar of the parish, 1677,
enriched stone tablet enclosing brass inscription with
shield-of-arms. Floor-slab: In N. porch—to . . .
Lily (?), 1701–2, and others later. Piscinæ: In N.
transept—in E. wall, recess with moulded jambs and
segmental-pointed head, projecting drain partly
destroyed, 14th-century. In E. respond of S. arcade—
recess with trefoiled ogee head and gable, round
projecting drain partly cut away, 14th-century. Plate:
includes cup of 1662 and small paten of the same date.
Scratchings: On lower parts of nave piers, various
masons' marks, indicating the extent of the earlier work.
Condition—Good; some decayed stonework on
b(2). Market Cross, on the village-green about
270 yards N. of the church, retains only its octagonal
to square base. It is probably of the 14th century and
is now set on a mill-stone and has a rough modern
a(3). Broadfield Court, house and barn over 1½ m.
N.E. of the church. The House is partly of two and
partly of three storeys; the walls are of local sandstone
and brick and the roofs are tiled. The cross-wing
and porch in the middle of the house were built early
in the 14th century and Mary de Bradfield had a licence
to celebrate in her chapel here in 1346. A timber-framed wing running E. from the cross-wing was added
or re-built in the second half of the 16th century; it was
re-faced in brick late in the 17th or early in the 18th
century. The remainder of the building dates from
the 18th and 19th centuries. Foundations have been
met with in the garden which were thought to imply
the former existence of side wings enclosing a courtyard on the S., with a well in the middle. The N. front
of the original building is of stone, the E. part forming
a two-storeyed porch; the early 14th-century entrance-archway (Plate 87) has moulded jambs and segmental-pointed head with a moulded label and 'ball-flower'
enrichment; above it are two windows of the same date
and each of one trefoiled ogee light. The S. front
(Plate 86) of the same block has an early 14th-century
window, partly restored and with the head raised to
lengthen the window; it is of three trefoiled ogee
lights with net-tracery in a two-centred head; further
W. is another 14th-century window, not in situ, of two
trefoiled ogee lights. The other elevations have no
ancient features. Inside the building various chamfered
ceiling-beams are exposed, and in the 16th-century
wing are moulded ceiling-beams. A fireplace in the
dining-room has moulded stone jambs and an oak
lintel with traces of carving; this lintel formerly bore
a date, perhaps 1553. In the attics are the remains of
the diagonal framing of the E. gable. The hall, in
the original wing, has a stone fireplace brought from
The Barn, N. of the house, is of 16th or early 17th-century date, timber-framed and of five bays. The
Granary, E. of the house, is a 17th-century building of
rubble and timber-framing, in four bays. Another
Barn, further E., is also of the 17th century, timber-framed and of five bays.
b(4). Maund Farm, house and outbuildings, nearly
2 m. E. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
partly of stone and partly of timber-framing; the roofs
are slate-covered. It was built probably in the 14th
or early 15th century with a central block and crosswings at the E. and W. ends. The W. cross-wing
was re-built in the 17th century, mainly in timber-framing, as a continuation of the main block. To the S.
front of the main block are remains of an original
window of two lights with ogee heads; in the N. wall,
opposite, is a blocked square-headed doorway. A
square-headed doorway in the E. wall of the wing is
fitted with a massive door having strap-hinges and a
'judas.' Inside the building, the original stone doorway between the main block and the wing has chamfered
jambs and two-centred head; S. of the doorway is a
stone bench. The ceiling of the main block is in two
divisions, the eastern with late 15th-century moulded
beams (Plate 44) forming eight square panels; the
western division has plain chamfered beams. There
are similar beams on the first floor. The late 17th-century staircase (Plate 74) has turned balusters,
square newels and close moulded strings. The cross-wing has three stone-lined recesses in the S. wall and
one in the E. wall.
The Outbuildings, S.E. of the house, are timber-framed and probably of the 17th century.
b(5). Moat House or Devereux Court, 150 yards
N.W. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed
and with a roof of stone slates. It was built probably
in the 15th century, but has been reduced in size. It
now consists of the Hall-block with a cross-wing at
the E. end, probably the solar. The timber-framing is
exposed but has been much renewed in the 17th
century. The N. end of the cross-wing has an original
cambered beam at the base of the gable and one curved
brace below it. Inside the building the Hall-block
is still partly of one storey, but the E. part has an inserted
17th-century floor. The S. room in the cross-wing has
original moulded ceiling-beams. The first floor of the
wing has an original stone fireplace with a shouldered
lintel, diagonal shafts at the sides and an embattled
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed, and with tile or slate-covered roofs.
Most of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams and some have
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(6). Cottage, 50 yards N. of the church, is roofed
with stone slates.
b(7). Cottage, 30 yards E. of (6), has a corrugated iron
b(8). Cottage, two tenements, on the E. side of the
road 100 yards N. of the church, has a thatched roof.
b(9). Cottage, on the E. side of the road 100 yards
N.N.E. of the church.
b(10). Cottage, on the W. side of the road 200 yards
N. of the church, is roofed with stone slates.
b(11). Cottage, on the N. side of the cross-roads 280
yards N. of the church, is roofed with stone slates. It
is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the W. and S. The W. wing is of stone.
b(12). Cottage, on the N. side of the road 130 yards E.
of (11), has a thatched roof.
b(13). Cottage, on the S. side of the road 360 yards
N.E. of the church.
b(14). Outbuilding and dove-cote at The Pigeon-house
120 yards E. of (13). The Outbuilding was perhaps
formerly a cottage. The octagonal brick dove-cote,
to the S., was built early in the 18th century and is
finished with a brick cornice, pyramidal roof, and a
timber cupola with a weather-vane.
a(15). House, now N. Herefordshire Hunt Kennels,
on the W. side of Saffron's Cross 1,450 yards N.E. of the
a(16). Cottage, on the N.E. side of the road at Isle
of Rhea, 260 yards N.W. of Saffron's Cross, is roofed
with stone slates.
a(17). Cottage, 40 yards W. of (16), has been
a(18). Cottage, 50 yards N.N.E. of (17), has a thatched
a(19). Cottage, 50 yards N.E. of (18), is roofed with
a(20). Cottage, on the W. side of the road 740 yards
N. of Saffron's Cross.
a(21). Cottage, 150 yards N. of (20), has stone walls
and a roof of stone slates. At the back is an original
window with diamond-shaped mullions.
a(22). House, W. of (21), retains only part of the
original building. The roof is thatched.
a(23). Cottage, on the W. side of the road 1,600 yards
N. of Saffron's Cross.
a(24). Cottage, on the E. side of the road nearly
1¼ m. N. of Saffron's Cross.
a(25). Cottage, 60 yards N.N.E. of (24).
a(26). Barn, at Butford Farm 80 yards N.N.E. of (25),
is of one storey and of three bays; the roof is of
a(27). Cottage, on the W. side of the road 360 yards
N. of (26).
a(28). Lower Broadfield, house nearly 1½ m. N.E. of
the church, is of two storeys with attics and consists of a
double gabled block with an outbuilding at right-angles
to it. The framing, of rectangular panels, is entirely
a(29). Riffin's Mill (Plate 30), over 1 m. N.E. of
the church, is of two dates, the higher mill-building
being the later. The mill is now disused.
a(30). Berkley Hill, cottage 300 yards E. of (29), is
roofed with stone slates.
a(31). Wood House, 330 yards E. of (30), was built
c. 1600 on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the S. and W. There are 18th-century and
modern additions on the E. and S. and the W. wing was
extended late in the 17th century.
b(32). Cottage, on the N.W. side of the lane 520 yards
S.W. of (31), has a thatched roof.
b(33). Barn, at Calderwell 1,500 yards N.E. of the
church, has a corrugated iron roof.
b(34). Cottage, 50 yards S. of (33), is roofed with stone
b(35). England's Gate Inn, house and outbuilding at
the crossroads 1,500 yards E.N.E. of the church. The
House is of irregular T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the W. end. The Outbuilding, S.W. of the house,
is of three bays; the roof has curved braces between the
tie-beams and collars.
b(36). Brockington Farm, house 230 yards S. of (35),
was built probably early in the 18th century.
b(37). Cottages in a range adjoining the chapel on the
N. side of Bodenham Moor, nearly 1 m. E. of the
church, were built late in the 17th or early in the 18th
b(38). Moor Farm, house on the W. side of the road
150 yards S. of (37), has an 18th-century addition on
the S. side. The walls are of stone and on the W. side
is a window with an early 18th-century frame, mullions
and transom. Inside the building is an early 17th-century staircase with turned balusters, square newels
and heavy square hand-rail. In the W. wing is an
early 18th-century moulded ceiling-beam and a fireplace with a moulded surround of the same date. On
the first floor are some original moulded ceiling-beams.
b(39). Cottage, 100 yards S. of (38), has been re-faced
b(40). Brook Cottage, 140 yards S.E. of (39), and 1 m.
E.S.E. of the church.
b(41). Cottage, on the E. side of the road 220 yards
S. of (40), was built probably early in the 18th century.
b(42). Cottage, 30 yards S.E. of (41), was built
probably early in the 18th century.
b(43). Cottage, on the S. side of the road at Pool
Head over 1¼ m. E. of the church, has a thatched roof
and is of late 17th or early 18th-century date.
b(44). Cottage, on the N. side of the road at Pool Head
220 yards E. of (43), has a thatched roof.
b(45). Cottage, 50 yards E. of (44), has been re-faced
b(46). Dudale's Hope, house nearly 2 m. E.N.E. of
the church, is of two storeys with attics; it is of half
H-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the
S.E. and a staircase wing on the same side of the main
block. The N.E. wing is an 18th-century addition
in stone. The exposed timber-framing is in regular
squares with diagonal framing in the gable of the S.W.
wing. Inside the building are some original moulded
b(47). Cottage, 100 yards S.E. of Maund Farm (4),
has been partly re-faced in stone.
b(48). Maund Court, 150 yards S.S.E. of (47), is
modern except for the E. block which is probably of
late 17th or early 18th-century date.
b(49). Cottage, on the N.W. side of Maund Common
over 1¾ m. E.S.E. of the church, has a corrugated iron
b(50). Rowberry, house about 2 m. S.E. of the church,
is partly of stone, and has a roof of stone slates. Inside
the building are some original moulded ceiling-beams.
b(51). Halfway House, 550 yards E. of (50), has a
later cross-wing at the N.W. end; the roofs are partly
b(52). Cottage, 50 yards S.S.E. of (51), has a thatched
b(53). Upper Maund Farm, house 2½ m. S.E. of the
church, was remodelled and much enlarged early in
the 18th century and is faced with brick. Inside the
building are some original moulded ceiling-beams and
two doors of moulded battens.
b(54). Newhouse Farm, house 330 yards E. of (53),
has been much altered and enlarged in the 18th century.
The original S.E. wing retains one barge-board and
a shaped pendant to the S.W. gable.
b(55). Cornett Cottage, on the S.W. side of the road
about 2¾ m. E.S.E. of the church. The roof was
heightened in the 18th century. Inside the building
is an early 17th-century panel carved with grotesque
c(56). The Vern, house 1,150 yards W. of the church,
is of two storeys with attics. The central block dates
partly from early in the 16th century but was altered
and re-faced early in the 18th century and the rest of the
house was re-built later in the same century. Inside
the central block are two original moulded ceiling-beams.
c(57) Cottage, 440 yards S.S.E. of (56).
a(58). Embankment or dam across the former course
of the stream, 180 yards N.E. of Lower Broadfield and
1½ m. N.E. of the church. The bank is about 60 yards