9 BOSBURY (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXVIII, S.E., (b)XXXV, N.W., (c)XXXV,
N.E., (d)XXXV, S.W., (e)XXXV, S.E.)
Bosbury is a parish and village 4 m. N. of Ledbury.
The church with a detached bell-tower, the Morton
Chapel and Harford monuments, Old Court, formerly
a manor house of the Bishops of Hereford, the Grammar
School, Hillhouse Farm and the Crown Inn, with
interesting shields-of-arms on the intersections of its
ceiling-beams, are the principal monuments.
c(1). Parish Church of Holy Trinity (Plate 88)
stands in the village. The walls and dressings are of
local sand-stone and the roofs are tiled. There was a
12th-century church on the site, of which only the W.
wall of the Nave remains standing. At the end of the
12th century, and extending into the 13 th, the church,
including the Chancel, N. and S. arcades and North
and South Aisles, was re-built and enlarged. The
detached Bell-tower was built c. 1230–40. The South
Porch was added probably in the 15th century. The
Morton Chapel was built early in the 16th century by
Thomas Morton and, perhaps, Rowland Morton. The
church was restored in 1871, when the Organ Chamber
was added, and again in 1921.
The church is of considerable architectural interest,
especially the Morton Chapel; among the fittings the
Harford monuments are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (37 ft. by
22 ft.) has a late 15th-century E. window of four cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred head,
with moulded jambs and modern mullions; flanking
it are the outer jambs of two late 12th-century windows,
with part of the arch of the northern window. In the
N. wall is a modern arch and farther E. a late 12th
or early 13th-century lancet-window, partly restored.
In the S. wall are three similar windows; between the
two westernmost is a doorway of the same date, with
chamfered jambs and round head. The late 12th or
early 13th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of
two orders, the outer moulded and the inner chamfered;
the responds have each two attached shafts with
moulded bases and scalloped or foliated capitals.
The Nave (71 ft. by 23 ft.) has late 12th or early 13th-century N. and S. arcades (Plate 90) of six bays, with
two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with a
chamfered label; the cylindrical shafts and semicylindrical responds have moulded bases and scalloped
capitals; the three easternmost columns are more
slender than the others, and may be of slightly later date.
The clearstorey has, on each side, six lancet-windows of
the same date as the arcades; above them runs a corbel-table with moulded corbels. The W. wall is probably
of earlier date than the rest of the nave and has a single
round-headed 12th-century window; there are slight
traces of the earlier and lower W. gable.
The North Aisle (9 ft. wide) has a modern arch in the
E. wall. In the N. wall are five windows all of a single
light; the easternmost has a segmental-pointed head
and is of uncertain date; the rest are all of lancet-form
and of late 12th or early 13th-century date; the N.
doorway, of the same date, has chamfered jambs, round
head and a chamfered label. In the W. wall is a lancet-window similar to those in the N. wall.
The South Aisle (9 ft. wide) has, in the S. wail, three
windows, the two easternmost similar to those in the
N. aisle; the westernmost is modern; the late
12th-century S. doorway has a round arch of two
rounded orders with a moulded label; the inner order
is continued down the jambs and the outer springs
from detached shafts with scalloped capitals and
moulded bases. In the W. wall is a lancet-window
similar to that in the N. aisle.
Bosbury, the Parish Church of the Holy Trinity
The Morton Chapel (15 ft. by 10½ ft.) is of early 16th-century date, with an embattled parapet. In the E.
wall is a window of four cinque-foiled ogee lights with
vertical tracery in a two-centred head; the reveals
and label are moulded. In the S. wall are two windows, each of three trefoiled lights with a transom
and tracery in a four-centred head; the reveals and
label are moulded and there are trefoiled heads below the transom. At the back of the first bay of the
S. nave arcade is a four-centred arch with responds
and soffit enriched with trefoil-headed panelling and
with a moulded impost at the springing level. The
four-centred W. arch, opening into the aisle, has
moulded arch and responds, the latter with triple
attached shafts; the head of the arch rises above the
aisle roof, the end of which is boarded; the wall-face
S. of the arch has trefoil-headed panelling and tracery.
The chapel has a stone fan-vault (Plate 89) of two bays,
springing from moulded corbels and from a pendant in
the middle of the N. side; the flat soffit, in the middle of
each bay, has a quatrefoil carved with a tun with a capital
M enclosing a 'black-letter' M. for Morton; at the
base of the pendant is carved a tun with the initials
The South Porch is of the 15 th-century and of timber
on modern dwarf walls. The outer entrance has an
arch formed by modern struts and a gable with exposed
framing; the barge-boards are modern. The sides
are open and have curved braces and modern intermediate posts. Against the N. wall is a tie-beam with
The Bell-tower (18 ft. square) stands detached about
60 ft. S. of the Morton Chapel. It was built c. 1230–40
and is of three stages with an embattled parapet. The
E., S. and W. walls of the ground-stage have each a
narrow lancet window; the doorway, in the N. wall,
is set in a projection with a weathered top; it has jambs
and two-centred head of two chamfered orders. The
second stage has, in each wall, a narrow lancet-window.
The bell-chamber has, in each wall, two similar
The Roof of the nave, of trussed-rafter type with
seven tie-beams, is perhaps of the 13th century. The
aisles have pent-roofs with moulded principals and wall-plates, perhaps of the 15th century.
Fittings—Bells: six; 2nd and 5th by John Finch,
1632 and 1640; 3rd and 6th by John Martin, latter
dated 1660 (Plate 40); 4th with groups of capitals and
initial W, twice repeated, 16th-century or earlier.
Churchyard Cross: S. of nave—square moulded base
on three steps, square to octagonal shaft, 15th-century,
repaired in cement, re-set cross-head with 17th-century
inscriptions, "Honour not the †," "Honour God for
Christ." Coffin-lids: In nave—under S. arcade,
(1) cross (Plate 48) in relief with foliated head in quatrefoil, two subsidiary formy crosses and a sword, early
14th-century; (2) cross in relief with head in double
circle, late 13 th or early 14th-century. Door: In towerdoorway, of plain battens, 17th-century. Font
(Plate 5 3): square bowl with square to round concave
under side, octagonal central shaft with moulded base
and foliated capital (reversed), four subsidiary shafts,
c. 1200. Glass: In Morton chapel—in E. window,
sacred initials, foliage and fragments; in S. window,
foliations and fragments, early 16th-century, partly in
situ. Lectern (Plate 76): with turned post on three-armed base with scrolled struts to post, early 17th-century, desk restored. Monuments and Floor-slabs.
Monuments: In chancel—recessed in N. wall, (1) of
Richard Harford, 1578, and Martha (Fox), his wife,
also to Anthony Harford, large freestone monument
(Plate 92), probably by John Guldo, with sarcophagus, effigies and canopy; moulded sarcophagus
resting on monsters, effigy of man in civil costume,
effigy of woman behind holding book, canopy with
enriched round arch and side pilasters, flanked by
male and female standing figures supporting an
entablature with central curved pediment enclosing
the arms of William Paulet, K.G., 1st Marquis of
Winchester, cresting of crude acanthus-leaves and
scrolls; at back of recess, foliage, achievement and two
shields-of-arms; recessed in S. wall, (2) of John
Harford, 1559, large freestone monument (Plate 93)
with sarcophagus, effigy and canopy, signed by John
Guldo of Hereford, 1573; sarcophagus in form of chest
resting on two lions, effigy of man in civil costume,
canopy with round arch, side pilasters and enriched
spandrels, flanked by Corinthian columns supporting
an entablature and pediment enclosing the arms of John
Skippe, Bishop of Hereford, 1539–52; at back of recess
three panels with conventional vases, two shields and an
achievement-of-arms; on S. wall, (3) to William Hopton,
1647, plain stone tablet. In S. aisle—on S. wall,
(4) to [Stephen Swinefeld, father of the Bishop, 1282],
slab with inscription in Lombardic capitals, now
defaced, found in 1776; (5) to William Brydges,
Thomas Brydges, his son, 1692, Joan (Hill) first wife
of Thomas, 1678, Catherine (Barret) his second wife
and William Brydges, his son, 1704, tablet with enriched frame, apron and broken pediment with cartouche-of-arms. Floor-slabs: In nave—(1) to William
Coke, 1690; (2) to Joshua Elmshurst, A.M., vicar,
1708. In S. aisle—(3) to Ann, wife of Edward Stedman, c. 1700. Panelling: In nave—on W. wall and at
W. end of S. aisle, re-used 16th-century panelling.
Pulpit: modern but incorporating two foreign panels
carved with figure-subjects, (a) Adoration of the Magi,
(b) the Virgin and Child, late 16th-century. Screen
(Plate 91): under chancel-arch, of five bays including
central doorway, all with four-centred heads, side bays
with modern lower panels and open upper panels, each
bay of three cinque-foiled ogee lights with tracery, loft
with moulded cornice and ribbed and panelled vaulting
(Plate 70), with moulded front beam, late 15 th-century,
considerably restored. Seating: In nave and aisles—
many 16th-century benches, made up with new material.
Stoup: In E. jamb of S. doorway—broken round bowl,
mediæval. Miscellanea: In S. aisle—re-set in S. wall,
head-corbel, 13th-century. Loose in S. aisle—rough
oval stone bowl with drain, date uncertain.
b(2). Homestead, Moat, 300 yards S.E. of Upleadon
Court and 2 m. W.S.W. of the church.
c(3). Temple Court, house and moat 500 yards
W.S.W. of the church was formerly a possession of the
Knights of the Temple. The House is of two storeys,
partly with attics; the walls are of stone and brick and
the roofs are tiled. The stone N. wing is perhaps of
mediæval date, but there is no definite evidence of this;
the rest of the house was re-built in the 18th century
or more modern times, but the middle part may
incorporate some 17th-century work. Inside the
building are some exposed ceiling-beams and in the S.
wall of the N. wing are three rectangular recesses.
The Moat formerly surrounded the house and was of
rounded form. Ditches and a stream form various
Condition—Of house, good.
c(4). Old Court Farm, house, gatehouse and earthworks, N. of the churchyard, was formerly a manor
house of the Bishops of Hereford. The House is of
two storeys; the walls are of stone and modern brick
and the roofs are tiled. The stone S. block of the house
is of 15th-century date and to it was added the L-shaped
block on the N. side, early in the 17th century; this
block was perhaps timber-framed, but has been re-faced
with brick. Inside the building the original block has
an inserted chimney-stack; the room E. of it has an
open timbered ceiling, with original moulded beams
(Plate 96), joists and wall-plates. The roof is partly
original and of five bays with tie-beams and curved
braces below the collar-beams. The 17th-century
addition has chamfered ceiling-beams and a dado of
early 17th-century panelling.
Bosbury, Plan Showing the Position of Monuments
The Gatehouse (Plate 95) range faces the road on the
E. side of the site. It is now of two storeys with a
stone outer wall, perhaps of the 14th century, and a
timber-framed inner wall. The gateway has a major and
minor archway, the former has jambs and two-centred
arch of two chamfered orders; the smaller archway has
jambs and two centred arch of one chamfered order;
it is now blocked. Inside the building, in the E. wall
is a recess, perhaps a fireplace, with chamfered jambs
and re-built head. The S. part of the building is a
The Earthworks, in the field N.W. of the house,
consist of a series of banks and ditches. There are
traces of ditches also to the E. of the house, and the
stream bounding the farm enclosure on the N. and W.
appears to have been straightened.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
c(5). The Grammar School, 20 yards N.E. of the
church, is of one storey, timber-framed and with a
slate-covered roof. The Free Grammar School was
founded by Sir Rowland Morton in 1540; the building
has been much altered and the W. side appears to have
been reconstructed in the 17th century and has exposed
framing of that date. The E. side and S. end have been
re-faced in brick. Inside the building, two large tie-beams are exposed.
c(6). Hillhouse Farm (Plate 80), house 1,520 yards
N.E. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and
attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled.
The house is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at
the E. end. The E. part of the building dates from
late in the 16th century, and there are 17th-century and
modern extensions towards the W. On the S. side is
a staircase-wing, perhaps of early 18th-century date.
Much of the timber-framing is exposed, that of the
cross-wing being mostly of close-set studs, with square
ornamental panels in the upper storey, and a gable at
the N. end. The upper storey projects on the N., E.
and S. sides of this wing and has moulded bressummers
and brackets; the projection has been partly under-built
in stone. The large stone chimney-stack on the N.
side has re-built diagonal shafts of brick; E. of this
stack and now within the house is an original moulded
bressummer. Inside the building are some exposed
ceiling-beams. The middle room has an original stone
fireplace with moulded jambs and flat four-centred head.
In the cross-wing is a doorway with a flat ogee-shaped
head; the S. room has late 16th or early 17th-century
panelling with a fluted frieze. The early 18th-century
staircase has moulded strings, turned balusters and
c(7). Crown Inn, on the S. side of the road, 120
yards S.W. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars;
the walls are of stone and the roofs are tiled. It was
built in the second half of the 16th century, but much
of the house was re-built late in the 18th century. The
original block has in the N.W. end a window of six
transomed and square-headed lights of stone, with a
wooden lintel; the lintel of a destroyed similar window
remains in the S.E. end. Inside the building, the
ground-floor room has exposed and chamfered ceiling-beams forming nine square panels; the intersections
have flat round bosses, three of which retain shields-of-arms, (a) a quartered coat of Paulet with the garter,
for William Paulet, K.G., 1st Marquis of Winchester,
(b) John Skippe, Bishop of Hereford, 1539–52,
(c) quartered coat of Scrope; the walls are lined with
panelling in six heights with frieze-panels and an
enriched cornice; the overmantel (Plate 96) is of four
bays with enriched and arcaded panels divided and
flanked by fluted pilasters; three of the main panels
contain cartouches-of-arms, (a) Wrottesley, (b) Scrope,
(c) Fox of Bromfield; on the pilasters are cartouches
with the date and initials, 1571, R.H. and M.H., for
Richard Harford and Martha (Fox) his wife.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed and with tile or slate-covered roofs.
Most of the buildings have exposed timber-framing
and ceiling-beams and some of the chimney-stacks are
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
c(8). House, 25 yards N. of (7), is of 16th-century
origin with 18th-century and later alterations and
additions on the N. and S. Inside the building is an
original moulded ceiling-beam with the mouldings
turned down the post. There are some early 18th-century panelled doors.
c(9). Bridge House, on the S. side of the road, 25
yards N.E. of (7).
c(10). House, E. of (9), is probably of early 18th-century date, but has been refronted in modern brick.
c(11). House, three tenements, 15 yards E. of (10).
The E. tenement has been partly refronted in brick;
the W. tenement has a doorway with a flat pointed head.
c(12). House, two tenements, 40 yards E. of (11), was
built probably in the 15th century with a central block
and cross-wings at the E. and W. ends. The crosswings have close-set framing, and the E. gable has
original barge-boards with sex-foiled panels. Inside
the building some of the original roof-construction is
c(13). Bell Inn (Plate 94), 25 yards E. of (12), was
built probably in the 15th century, but has been much
altered and extended to the W. and S. The gable on the
N. front has original barge-boards with running tracery
and sex-foiled panels.
c(14). House, E. of (13), is of late 17th or early 18th-century date and has been partly re-faced in brick.
c(15). House, two tenements, 4 yards E. of (14).
The W. tenement is of late 17th or early 18th-century
c(16). Cottage, 30 yards E. of (15) and 110 yards
E.S.E. of the church, was built probably early in the
18th century and has a thatched roof.
c(17). Cottage, two tenements and shops, 12 yards E.
of (16), was built probably early in the 18th century
and has a thatched roof.
c(18). Dog Farm, house on the N. side of the road,
70 yards E.S.E. of the church, is of late 16th or early
17th-century date and of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the W. and N.
c(19). Cottage, by Dowding's Brook, 500 yards N.E.
of the church, is probably of early 18th-century date
and has a thatched roof.
c(20). Lower House Farm, house and outbuilding,
about ½ m. N.N.E. of the church. The House is of
L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the
W. and N. The central chimney-stack has four
detached brick shafts with V-shaped pilaster-strips.
Inside the building are some original moulded ceiling-beams.
The Cider-house and hop-store, W. of the house, is
probably of early 18th-century date.
c(21). Brook Farm, house, 80 yards N.N.E. of (20).
c(22). Cottage, E. of Pow Green and about 1¼ m.
N.E. of the church, was built probably early in the
18th century and was subsequently heightened.
c(23). Cottage, on the N.W. side of the road at Old
Country, nearly 1½ m. N.E. of the church, is probably
of early 18th-century date and has a thatched roof.
An outbuilding is probably of the same date.
a(24). Palace Farm, house and outbuilding, 120 yards
N.E. of (23). The House has a cross-wing at the N.
end. The upper storey projects on the W. side of the
main block, on a moulded bressummer and shaped
brackets. The Outbuilding is probably of late 17th or
early 18th-century date.
c(25). Quebb Cottage, about 1 m. E.N.E. of the church,
was built probably early in the 18th century and has a
c(26). Green Farm, house, 200 yards E.S.E. of (25).
c(27). Cottage, at Stoneyard Green and 130 yards S.
of (26), is probably of early 18th-century date and has
a thatched roof.
c(28). Cottage, two tenements, on the S. side of the
road, 80 yards S.W. of (27), has a thatched roof.
c(29). The Moats, two tenements, 150 yards E.S.E.
of (28) and nearly 1¼ m. E.N.E. of the church, has a
thatched roof. The doorways have shaped wooden
c(30). Slatchwood Cottages, two tenements, 430 yards
E. of (29), were built early in the 18th century.
c(31). Slatchwood, cottage, on the N.E. side of the
road 50 yards E. of (30), is probably of early 18th-century date, but has been much altered.
c(32). Cottage, N.W. of Broad Oak Farm and 1,520
yards E.N.E. of the church, is of early 18th-century
date and has a thatched roof.
c(33). Upper Townend Farm, house and barns, 1,600
yards E. of the church. The House was built late in
the 16th or early in the 17th century and consists of
three bays of framing. On the S. side is a gabled porch
with baluster-shaped pilasters, scrolls and a moulded
lintel and base-beam to the gable.
The Barn, adjoining the house, has a heavy framed
partition. The barn, N.W. of the house, is probably
of early 18th-century date.
c(34). Lower Townend Farm, house, 270 yards S.S.E.
of (33), has been reduced in size. The original chimney-stack has four square shafts with V-shaped pilasters.
c(35). Lower House, over 1¼ m. S.W. of the church,
is probably of early 18th-century date and has a
c(36). Swinmore Wood (Plate 33), cottage, 150 yards
W.S.W. of (35), is of late 17th or early 18th-century
date and has a thatched roof.
c(37). Swinmore Farm, house, 1¾ m. S.W. of the
church, was built probably early in the 18th century
and the door on the N.E. side is of this date.
d(38). Verne Farm, house, 2 m. S.W. of the church,
has a cross-wing at the S.E. end and a later extension
at the N.W. end. The upper storey projects at the
S.W. end of the cross-wing. Inside the building are
some original moulded ceiling-beams.
b(39). Upleadon Farm, house, about 1½ m. W.S.W.
of the church, is of two storeys with attics and cellars.
It was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century.
Inside the building is a fireplace with moulded stone
c(40). Upper Coldgreen Farm, house, 1 m. W.S.W. of
the church, was built late in the 16th or early in the
17th century on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the N. end. There are later and modern
additions. The gables of the cross-wing have original
barge-boards, those on the W. with simple ornament
and those on the E. with cusped panels. Inside the
building is some early 17th-century panelling and the
upper part of the staircase is probably of early 18th-century date.
c(41). Goldhill Farm, house, nearly 1¼ m. W. of the
church, is perhaps of late 16th-century origin, but has
been much altered and re-faced with later stone-work.
Inside the building are some original moulded ceiling-beams.
c(42). Cottage, on the S.W. side of Stanley Hill,
about 1¼ m. W.N.W. of the church, is probably of
early 18th-century date.
c(43). Hill Farm, house and barn, 330 yards E.N.E. of
(42). The House has a broad open fireplace (Plate 77)
in the S. room. The Barn, S. of the house, is of two
storeys, partly weather-boarded.
c(44). Catley Court Farm (Plate 27), house and barn,
nearly 1¼ m. N.W. of the church. The House has a large
18th-century wing on the N.W. side. Some of the
windows with solid frames are probably of early 18th-century date. The Barn, E. of the house, is weather-boarded.
c(45). Cottage, 300 yards N.E. of (44), is probably
of early 18th-century date.
c(46). Great Catley Farm, house, 1 m. N.W. of the
church, is of late 16th or early 17th-century date with
later extensions to the S.W. Inside the building is a
little original panelling.
c(47). Little Catley Farm, house, 100 yards E.S.E.
of (46), is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the W. and N. It has been partly re-faced in
c(48). Cottage, 320 yards S.W. of (47).
c(49). Oozle's Nest, cottage, 1,180 yards W.N.W.
of the church, has been partly re-faced in brick.
c(50). Catley Cross Farm, house, ½ m. N.W. of the
church, is of two storeys with attics. The E. part of
the house is original with a cross-wing at the S. end;
the W. wing is a late 17th or early 18th-century addition.
c(51). Cottage, on the S.W. side of the road, at
Long Acre, 1,020 yards N.N.W. of the church, is of
early 18th-century date.
c(52). Cottage, 20 yards S.E. of (51), is of early 18th-century date and has a thatched roof.
c(53). Bentley's Farm, house, 300 yards N.N.W. of
(51), is of late 17th or early 18th-century date.
c(54). Noverings Farm, house, 1,100 yards N.N.E. of
the church, has been re-faced in brick and stone.
a(55). Notehouse Farm, house and barn, about 1 m.
N.N.W. of the church. The House is of late 16th or
early 17th-century date, with a late 17th or early 18th-century extension to the N. The E. front has been
re-faced in brick. The Barn, S.E. of the house, is partly
a(56). Gospel Yew Cottage, 1½ m. N.W. of the church,
is probably of early 18th-century date and has a thatched
a(57). Dodd's Mill, nearly 1¼ m. N. of the church,
has been partly re-faced, probably in 1788, the date on
a small panel at the N.E. end.
a(58). Cottage, 80 yards S.E. of (57), is of late 17th or
early 18th-century date and has a thatched roof.
a(59). Terraces in field, 150 yards S. of Notehouse
Farm (55) and 1 m. N.N.W. of the church. Parallel
with the N. side of the field are traces of six terraces,
probably lynchets, extending for about 220 yards, with
a further extension of two terraces to the W.