17 BURGHILL (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXVI, S.W., (b)XXVI, S.E.,
(c)XXXIII, N.W., (d)XXXIII, N.E.)
Burghill is a parish 3 m. N.W. of Hereford. The
church, with interesting screen, monument and font,
is the principal monument.
d(1). Parish Church of St. Mary (Plates 4, 105)
stands in the village. The walls are of local sandstone
rubble and ashlar, with dressings of the same material;
the roofs are covered with tiles. The N. wall of the
Chancel is partly or wholly of early 12th-century date,
but the form of the rest of the church at this period is
uncertain. About 1200 an enlargement of the church
was undertaken, beginning with the W. front, N.W.
respond of the Nave, and the W. walls of the aisles, all
probably built outside the earlier nave. The N. arcade
of the nave was then built, beginning at the W. end, and
the North Aisle completed. The S. arcade was built
c. 1300 from E. to W., and the South Aisle was, perhaps,
completed at the same time; the chancel was widened
towards the S., perhaps also in the 14th century, and a
N. chapel and Vestry added. The clearstorey was
added late in the 14th century, and the South Porch late
in the 15th or early in the 16th century. The West
Tower was re-built in 1812, and the church was restored
in 1824, 1854, 1862, 1879–80, and 1894, when the S.
wall of the S. aisle was largely re-built, and the vestry
and organ-chamber reconstructed.
The church is of some architectural interest, and
among the fittings, the rood-screen and loft, the font
and the 15th-century monument are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (41 ft. by
24½ ft.) has an E. window, all modern except for the
14th-century splays and rear-arch. In the N. wall is
an early 12th-century window of one round-headed
light; farther E. is a doorway, possibly of the 12th
century, re-set; it has chamfered jambs and round
head; W. of the window is a square-headed doorway,
now blocked, and a two-centred archway of one
chamfered order, probably both of the 14th century.
In the S. wall are three windows: the easternmost is of
early 14th-century date, and of two trefoiled lights in
a segmental-pointed head; the middle window is
modern; the early 14th-century westernmost window
is of two trefoiled lights with a sunk panel, and a looped
knot between the heads; the doorway is modern.
There is no chancel-arch.
Burghill, the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin.
The North Vestry and Organ Chamber was, before
1879, a long low building with a pent-roof. It has
been largely reconstructed, and the roofs altered, and
now has no ancient features.
The Nave (57½ ft. by 23 ft.) has a N. arcade of five
bays with two-centred arches of two chambered orders;
the western arch is wider than the rest, and of early
13th-century date, while the other bays are rather
later; the columns are cylindrical with moulded bases
and capitals, the westernmost pier having earlier detail
than the others; the responds have attached half-columns, that on the W. being of c. 1200 with a scalloped
capital. The early 14th-century S. arcade is of five bays
with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, and
octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases;
the responds have attached half-columns; the details
of the E. respond and first column are of earlier date
than the rest. The late 14th-century clearstorey has
one window in the N. and S. walls of two trefoiled
ogee lights; farther W., in the S. wall, are four other
windows all square-headed; the three western are of
one light and perhaps of 16th or 17th-century date;
the easternmost window is a modern enlargement of
a window of the same character.
The North Aisle (8¾ ft. wide) has a modern arch in
the E. wall. In the N. wall are five windows, the
easternmost probably of late 14th-century date and of
two trefoiled ogee lights; the three middle windows
are modern; the westernmost window is a single
square-headed light of old material, probably not in
situ; below the fourth window are traces of a destroyed
doorway. In the W. wall is a lancet-window of
The South Aisle (10 ft. wide) has thick end walls
returned a short distance along the S. wall; these
portions are perhaps of c. 1200. In the E. wall is a
modern window. In the S.E. return are remains of a
blocked recess or window with an arched head. In the
main S. wall are four modern windows; the S. doorway,
probably of the 14th century, has rounded jambs and
two-centred head. In the W. wall is a single square-headed light probably of c. 1200, subsequently altered.
The South Porch is of timber and of 15th or early
16th-century date. The front has a cambered tie-beam with curved braces below and struts above. The
side walls retain the old oak sills.
Fittings—Bells: eight; 4th, 6th and 7th by Abraham
Rudhall, 1704. Brackets: In chancel—re-set in reredos,
plain, mediæval. In S. aisle—on E. wall, two with
moulded undersides, mediæval; socket probably for
beam in return of S. wall, and probably connected with
these brackets. Brasses: In chancel—on N. wall,
(1) to Robert Masters, 1619, traveller, inscription, plate
with globe and shield-of-arms on stone panel with
interlacing quatrefoils; (2) of John Awbrey, 1616,
plate with kneeling figures of man and wife at prayer-desk, shield-of-arms and inscription. Churchyard Cross:
S.E. of chancel—square base with trefoil-headed niche
in W. face, and set on four steps, 14th-century, shaft and
cross-head modern. Communion Rails: with turned
balusters, moulded rails and panelled standards, late 17th
or early 18th-century. Font (Plate 53): lead bowl,
modern, but with applied lead ornament consisting of
a foliage scroll above a series of shallow arches, c. 1200;
cylindrical stem of stone with arcade of thirteen bays
with round arches and shafts, each bay with figure of
a man, probably Christ and the twelve apostles, but
much defaced; defaced band above and running foliage
below, late 12th-century. Locker: In chancel—in N.
wall, rectangular with rebated reveals and hooks for
door, probably 12th-century. Monument: In chancel—
against S. wall, of [Sir John Milbourne and Elizabeth
(Devereux) his wife], c. 1440, altar-tomb with alabaster
effigies (Plate 106) of man and wife, figure of man in plate
armour with taces and tuilles, feet on beast, wreathed
sallade on head, resting on crested helm; figure of wife
with close-fitting gown, loose cloak and horned head-dress; altar-tomb, largely modern repair, but with three
crocketed niches in the E. end with group of figures
before the Virgin and Child, and two angels holding
blank shields; three similar niches at W. end with
angels holding blank shields. Panelling: In nave—
front desks of two blocks of seats, with plain lower
panels and upper panels enriched with arabesques,
early 17th-century. Piscina: In nave—in S. wall,
above the rood-loft, recess with trefoiled ogee head
and projecting bowl, 14th-century; it is now too high
above the floor of the existing loft to have served for
an altar in that position, but was perhaps connected
with a higher and earlier loft. Plate: Includes cup,
without date-letter, with baluster-stem, perhaps mid
17th-century or later. Pulpit (Plate 70): Hexagonal,
with five existing sides, panelled in two heights, with
enriched rails, partly modern, early to mid 17th-century.
Scratchings: On S.W. angle of S. aisle—17th-century
initials. In W. doorway of tower—reversed stone
with date 1609. Screen (Plate 73): Between chancel
and nave—with central doorway and five bays on each
side, doorway with double head, trefoiled and sub-cusped, side bays with narrower but similar heads and
close lower panels, moulded main timbers, panelled
loft of deep projection (6 ft.) with moulded ribs and
front cornice with band of vine and ivy ornament and
cresting; front beam supported on four additional
posts with carved braces, 15th-century, heightened and
moved eastwards in 1880. Miscellanea: In S. wall of
S. aisle, externally—stone with carved head of bishop
(Plate 78) in mitre, set in pointed recess, date uncertain.
d(2). Homestead Moat, 45 yards W.N.W. of the
church, has been entirely filled in recent years.
a(3). Burghill Lodge, house, nearly 1½ m.N.N.W.
of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics;
the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built late in the 16th or early in the
17th century on a half H-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the N.E. The house has been
much altered in the 18th and 19th centuries, the N.
wing extended and a bay added on the S.W. side. The
original chimney-stack has six attached diagonal shafts.
On the N.W. side is an original window of five lights,
with moulded frame, mullions and transom. There
are three gables on the S.W. front. Inside the building
many of the chamfered ceiling-beams are exposed, and
the entrance-hall has remains of an original plaster
ceiling with ornamental roundels or rosettes. Some
original panelling from the house has been refixed in
the modern house a short distance to the S.E.
d(4). Burghill Grange, house, 280 yards E. of the
church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the
walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. The house
is mainly of early Georgian date, but incorporates an
early 17th-century block now forming the S. wing;
it was originally timber-framed and has moulded ceiling-beams. The hall is lined with re-set early 17th-century
panelling. The hall and adjoining room have panelled
plaster ceilings of the 18th century.
c(5). Manor Farm, house and outbuildings, 120
yards S.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys
with attics, the walls are timber-framed, but cased in
later brickwork, and the roofs are slate-covered. A
block in the middle of the S.W. side is of early 17th-century date, but the rest of the building dates from the
18th and 19th centuries. Inside the building the
original block has a late 17th or early 18th-century
plaster ceiling (Plate 44) divided into eight panels of
varying types. On the first floor are some original
The Outbuildings, S.W. of the house, are of the 17th
century, timber-framed and with iron or slate-covered
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed, and with tiled or slate-covered roofs.
Most of the buildings have exposed external framing
and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
d(6). House, at road-corner 100 yards S.S.W. of the
church, has a long outbuilding adjoining it on the N.
Inside the building are some original moulded ceiling-beams.
d(7). Cottage, adjoining Smithy and 100 yards E.
of (6), has a thatched roof.
d(8). Church House Farm, house, 60 yards E. of the
church, has a cross-wing at the W. end.
d(9). Cottage, on S. side of lane, 160 yards S.S.W. of
the church, has a thatched roof.
c(10). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 50 yards
N.W. of (9).
c(11). Cottage, 10 yards S. of (10), has an original
chimney-stack with a brick shaft, set diagonally.
c(12). The Offices, range of tenements, 260 yards W.
of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the S. and W.
c(13). Cottage, in the W. angle of the road-fork, 400
yards W.N.W. of the church.
c(14). Pyefinch Farm, house and barn, 500 yards
W.N.W. of the church. The House was built late in
the 16th or early in the 17th century. Inside the building is a re-set 16th-century panel carved with a woman's
head and scrolled dolphins.
The Barn, E. of the house, is weather-boarded.
c(15). Cottage, two tenements, on the S.W. side of
the road, about 1 m. N.W. of the church, has a roof of
a(16), Broomhill, house, about 1¼ m. N.W. of the
church. The middle part of the building is of a different
date from the ends, and is, perhaps, a reconstruction.
c(17). Hill Farm, house and barn, about 1¾ m.
W.N.W. of the church. The House has a large 18th-century addition. The original W. wing has diagonal
framing in the gable.
The Barn, E. of the house, is of five bays with a W.
a(18). Heath Farm, house, on the S. side of the road
at Tillington Common, about 2 m. N.W. of the church,
has a cider-mill at the N. end.
a(19). Lower House Cottage, on the W. side of the
road, about 1 m. N.N.W. of the church.
a(20). Lower House and barn, 80 yards N. of (19).
The House is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the W. and N. The roofs have been entirely
altered in the 18th century.
The Barn, E. of the house, is of four bays with a
a(21). Haven Farm, house, 350 yards N.W. of (20).
a(22). The Parks, house, two tenements, nearly
1¾ m. N. of the church, is of half H-shaped plan with
the wings extending towards the S. It has been
re-fronted in brick, and an addition made between the
b(23). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 1 m.
N.N.E. of the church, has a thatched roof.
b(24). Cottage, on the S.W. side of the road, nearly
¾ m. N.E. of the church, has been heightened.
d(25). Cottage, on the S.W. side of the road at Portway, 120 yards S.E. of (24).
d(26). Range of two cottages, S.W. of (25), was built
late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
d(27). Outbuildings at Lion Farm, 1,100 yards N.E.
of the church, include a late 17th or early 18th-century
cider-mill, and some partly reconstructed stabling, with
a corrugated-iron roof.
d(28). Cottage, on the N.E. side of the road, 1,050
yards S. of the church, has a thatched roof.
d(29). Barn, at Little Burlton, about ½ m. S.S.E. of the
church, is of a single storey, and has a later extension
at the N.W. end. The roof is partly covered with
d(30). Lynchets, nearly 1 m. E.N.E. of the church,
form a series of three terraces extending for about
130 yards in a N.E. direction.
d(31). Lynchets, 1,000 yards E. of the church, form
three terraces much obliterated by ploughing. They
extend in a N.N.W. direction.
c(32). Lynchets, about ¾ m. S.S.W. of the church,
form three terraces extending for about 130 yards in
an E.N.E. direction.