19 CANON PYON (A.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXVI, N.W., (b)XXVI, S.W.,
Canon Pyon is a parish 7 m. N.N.W. of Hereford.
The church, with good 13th-century work and fittings,
and Lawton's Hope are the principal monuments.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Lawrence (Plate 108)
stands on the W. border of the parish. The walls are of
local sandstone rubble with dressings and ashlar of the
same material; the roofs are tiled. There is no definite
evidence of earlier work in the church than the N. arcade
of the Nave, built about the middle of the 13th century;
the S. arcade and South Aisle were built in the second
half of the same century, and c. 1300–20 the North
Chapel was added, with an arch opening into the Chancel.
The rest of the chancel was largely, if not entirely, re-built
late in the 14th or early in the 15th century and a small
vestry, now destroyed, was added on the N. side. The
South Tower was added late in the 14th century, and the
North Aisle re-built and widened in the 15th century.
Probably in the 15th or early in the 16th century
three arches were built across the S. aisle to support
the S. arcade. The chancel was restored in 1865, and
the church generally in 1870.
The church has 13th-century arcades of some interest,
and among the fittings the stalls and inlaid slab are
Architectural Description—The Chancel (33¾ ft.
by 23 ft.) has a late 14th or early 15th-century E. window
of three trefoiled lights in a four-centred head; there
is an old gable-cross. In the N. wall is an arch of
c. 1300–10, two-centred and of two orders, the inner
chamfered and the outer moulded and with a moulded
label; the E. respond is of the 13th century, re-set when
the arch was built; it has a half-round attached shaft
with moulded base and capital carved with 'stiff-leaf' foliage; the column forming the W. support
is of the same date as the arch and is cylindrical with
moulded capital and base; towards the E. end of the
wall is a late 14th or early 15th-century doorway, now
blocked, with chamfered jambs and two-centred head
and formerly opening to the vestry; further E. on the
external face are two straight joints, probably the
jambs of a former locker. In the S. wall are two late
14th or early 15th-century windows, each of two
trefoiled lights in a four-centred head; between them
is a doorway, of the same date, with moulded jambs
and two-centred head. There is no chancel-arch.
Canon Pyon, the Parish Church of St Lawrence
The North Chapel (22 ft. by 14 ft.) has an E. window
of c. 1300–10, and of three plain pointed lights in a two-centred head with a moulded label. In the N. wall are
two windows of c. 1300–10, the eastern of two trefoiled
lights with a quatrefoil above; the western window
is a single trefoiled light.
The Nave (49½ ft. by 22¼ ft.) has a mid 13th-century
N. arcade of four bays with two-centred arches of two
chamfered orders, except on the S. face where the outer
order and the label are moulded; the cylindrical
columns have moulded bases and capitals (Plate 16)
carved with 'stiff-leaf' foliage; the W. respond has an
attached half-column; the W. arch is distorted like the
corresponding arch on the S.; at the E. end is the later
column already described. The rather later S. arcade
(Plate 109) is also of four bays with arches similar to
those of the N. arcade; the cylindrical columns have
moulded bases and capitals, and the responds have
attached half-columns; the arcade leans heavily towards
the S. Above the S. arcade is a clearstorey with four
windows each of a plain square-headed light. The
partly restored late 15th-century W. window is of four
trefoiled lights in a four-centred head; the 14th-century
W. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred head
with a decayed label.
The North Aisle (14 ft. wide) has, in the N. wall, a
round-headed light of 18th or 19th-century date. In
the W. wall is a 15th-century window of three trefoiled
lights in a four-centred head.
The South Aisle (7½ ft. wide) has an E. window probably all modern; below it are straight joints perhaps
of a former opening. In the S. wall are two windows
all modern except for some jamb-stones. In the W.
wall is a 14th-century window of one trefoiled light.
The three half-arches across the aisle are probably of the
15th century, and are each of two chamfered orders.
The South Tower (10½ ft. square) is of late 14th-century date and of four stages with an embattled
parapet. The ground-stage forms a porch and has an
outer or S. doorway with jambs and two-centred arch
of three orders, the outer moulded and the two inner
chamfered. The inner or N. doorway has jambs
and two-centred arch of two chamfered orders. The
second stage has, in the E. and S. walls, a window of one
ogee-headed light; in the W. wall is a rectangular loop.
The third stage has no openings. The bell-chamber has,
in the E. and S. walls, a window of two trefoiled ogee
lights with a quatrefoil under a moulded two-centred
label; in the N. and W. walls is a single-light window,
The Roof of the N. chapel and aisle is probably of the
15th century and is of trussed-rafter type, with four
added tie-beams; the N. side of the N. chapel has
a 14th-century moulded wall-plate with ball-flower
ornament. The ground-stage of the tower has 16th or
17th-century moulded ceiling-beams and a bell-way.
Fittings—Brackets: In chancel—on N. and S. walls,
corbel-brackets, possibly connected with the lentenveil. Brass Indents: In churchyard—E. of S. aisle, two
fragments with canopies and shields-of-arms. Font
(Plate 55): octagonal bowl with moulded under edge
and moulded rim with band of quatrefoils, moulded
base, 15th-century; cylindrical stem made up with section carved with conventional ornament, perhaps 12th
or 13th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In nave—(1) slab with indents of figures of
man in civil dress and wife, under double canopy with
shields at feet and marginal inscription, indents formerly
inlaid with light coloured stone in small sections, now
only remaining in shafts and man's right foot, late
14th or early 15th-century, head of slab missing. In
churchyard—S. of chancel, (2) to Susanna Hill, 1714,
slab. Floor-slabs: In N. chapel—(1) . . . (Barrow)
wife of Herbert Perrott, 1675–6; (2) to John Covile,
1697–8, with shield-of-arms. Piscinæ: In chancel—
recess with moulded jambs and trefoiled head, octofoiled drain projecting on head-corbel, 14th-century.
In N. chapel—in S. wall, recess with chamfered jambs
and trefoiled head, quatre-foiled drain, early 14th-century. Scratchings: On two doorways of tower—
masons' marks, 14th-century. Screen: between chancel
and nave—with central doorway and eight bays on each
side, with close lower and open upper panels with
trefoiled and traceried heads (Plate 70), moulded rails
and mullions, middle rail with band of foliage-carving
and head-beam with fascia carved with vine-ornament,
doorway with doors having traceried heads similar to
side bays, 15th-century much restored and most of
traceried heads modern. Seating: In S. aisle—six
shaped bench-ends, probably 16th-century. Stalls
(Plate 110): In chancel—on each side, range of four
stalls with shaped and moulded arms and elbow-rests
carved with half-angels, misericordes carved as follows
—N. side, (a) a chained antelope, carved masks at
sides; (b) four roses, leaves at sides; (c) half-angel with
blank shield, leaves at sides; (d) fox and geese, roses at
sides; S. side, (a) pelican in her piety, flowers at sides;
(b) Catherine wheel, flowers at sides; (c) dwarf with
mouth open, leaves at sides; (d) bird, leaves at sides;
front row of stalls on each side modern but incorporating
old material and parts of a stall on N. and one old stall
and misericorde on S., with two lions fighting and
roses at the sides; incorporated in modern desks, two
standards with popey-heads (Plate 76) carved with
(a) figures of bishops back to back and supported by
beasts, and (b) figures back to back holding blank shields
and likewise supported by beasts, all 15th-century.
a(2). Homestead Moat, on hill-top nearly 2 m. N.E.
of the church, is rectangular and is now largely dry.
a(3). Barn, at Court Farm, N. of the church, is a
long building of brick and some timber-framing. It is
of late 17th-century date and has three ranges of looplights. The roof is covered mainly with corrugated
a(4). Great House and outbuilding, 250 yards E.
of the church. The House is of mid to late 18th-century
date, but the garden gate (Plate 37) is of early 18th-century date and has pineapple-terminals; the gate
is of ornamental wrought-iron work with elaborate
scrolled standards and overthrow.
The Outbuilding is of rubble with a timber-framed
upper storey and dates probably from the 17th century.
a(5). Lawton's Hope, house and outbuildings, about
1½ m. E.N.E. of the church. The House is of two
storeys, timber-framed and with slate-covered roofs.
It was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century
and is rectangular on plan with a later extension on
the N.E. The timber-framing is exposed and there
are two gables on the S.E. side. The main roof is
hipped at the W. angle. The original windows were
apparently fitted with solid frames, mullion and transom,
and some of these, now blocked, remain. Inside the
building, some of the ceiling-beams are exposed, one
being supported on a moulded bracket. On the first
floor are a panelled door and a fireplace with a moulded
surround. The original staircase has heavy turned
balusters, moulded strings and square newels with
The Barn, W.N.W. of the house, is timber-framed
but partly refaced in stone. It is of late 17th-century
date. The two-storeyed cow-houses, N. of the house,
are of stone and timber-framing and of the same period.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed and with tiled or slate-covered roofs.
Most of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
a(6). Green Flock, cottage, 770 yards N.N.W. of (5),
is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the S.W. and S.E.
a(7). Outbuilding, at the Vicarage, 70 yards S.E. of the
church, is of one storey.
a(8). Shire Glat, house and outbuildings, 700 yards E.
of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics,
was mostly re-fronted in brick in the 18th century and
has modern extensions.
The Barn, N.W. of the house, has a two-storeyed
granary at the E. end. To the S. is another outbuilding.
All except the granary have corrugated iron roofs.
a(9). Cottage, at road-fork 480 yards E. of (8), is
probably of early 18th-century date and has stone walls.
a(10). Cottage, 40 yards N. of (9), has been heightened.
a(11). Kinford Farm, house and outbuildings, 1 m.
E.N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys
with cellars and attics and is of H-shaped plan with the
cross-wings at the N.E. and S.W. ends. The N.E.
wing is of early 17th-century date, and the rest of the
building was added or re-built late in the same century.
The ground storey has been largely refaced in brick
and stone. On the S.E. front the original wing has a
moulded bressummer at the first-floor level and at the
attic-floor level are moulded wall-plates on shaped
brackets with leaf-ornament. On the N.W. elevation
there are also shaped brackets to the wall-plates, and on
the return wall of the original wing is a shaped and
enriched bracket. Inside the building, the original wing
has moulded ceiling-beams, and on the upper floor are
The Barn, S. of the house, is of seven bays and
weather-boarded. The cattle-shed, S.W. of the house,
a(12). Cottage (Plate 33), on the E. side of the road,
1,400 yards E.S.E. of the church, has a thatched roof.
a(13). Nag's Head Inn, 30 yards S. of (12), was
originally of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the E. and N. but has a modern addition in the
b(14). Upper Derndale, house and barns, nearly 1½ m.
E.S.E. of the church. The House was built late in the
17th or early in the 18th century. The Barns, W. of the
house, are weather-boarded and of four and five bays
c(15). Vetchy Lands, house and barn, 2 m. E. of the
church. The House was built probably early in the
18th century. The Barn, W. of the house, is partly
of stone and has a corrugated iron roof.
b(16). Great Nupton, house, 1,020 yards S.S.E. of the
church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics. It is of
L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the
N. and E. and with modern additions at the back.
The N. end is of early 18th-century brick and has
windows of that date, with solid frames, mullions and
transoms. Inside the building are some original
moulded ceiling-beams. The granary on the first
floor has an original stone fireplace with chamfered
jambs and shouldered lintel.
b(17). Nupton, house and outbuildings, 170 yards W.
of (16). The House is modern except for the block at
the W. end. The Outbuilding, N. of the house, has a
corrugated iron roof. To the W. of the farmyard is
a weather-boarded barn.