21 CODDINGTON (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXV, N.E., (b)XXXVI, N.W.)
Coddington is a small parish 3 m. N. of Ledbury.
The church is the principal monument.
a(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands on the
W. side of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone
rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs
are covered with tiles. A church was consecrated
here by Bishop Gilbert Foliot (1148–63), but the building
was largely reconstructed early in the 13th century,
three altars being dedicated by Bishop Hugh Foliot in
1231, to St. Peter, St. Mary, and St. Milburga; the
Chancel was extended at this period; the western part
of the Nave following immediately after; much 12th-century material was re-used. The church was
drastically restored in 1865–6, when the E. part of the
nave was re-built and the Vestry, South Porch and West
Tower were added.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23¼ ft. by
13¼ ft.) has a plinth to the eastern half only. In the E.
wall are two early 13th-century lancet-windows. In
the N. wall is a smaller lancet-window, of the same date,
and farther W. a modern doorway and arch. In the
S. wall are three lancet-windows similar to that in the
N. wall; below the shorter westernmost window is a
re-set 12th-century doorway with chamfered jambs,
rounded head and chamfered label; an upright stone
between the two western windows may represent a
destroyed window of earlier date. The partly restored
early 13th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of
two chamfered orders with a chamfered label; the
responds are square and have each a moulded corbel,
with foliated termination, carrying the inner order.
The Nave (44 ft. by 18 ft.) has, in the N. wall, three
early 13th-century lancet-windows; between the two
eastern is a round relieving arch of about the height of
a doorway. The re-set 12th-century N. doorway has
a round arch and chamfered label; the doorway is now
blocked. In the S. wall are three windows, the easternmost of two trefoiled lights and of late 13th-century
date, and the other two lancet-windows similar to those
in the N. wall; between the two eastern windows is the
round relieving arch similar to that in the N. wall;
the re-set 12th-century S. doorway has roll-moulded
jambs and round arch with a chamfered label. There
was a bell-cote over the W. end of the nave before the
building of the modern tower.
The Roof of the nave is of trussed-rafter type, with
two-centred arched braces below the collar-beams; it
is probably of 13th or 14th-century date.
Fittings—Bracket: In nave—on N. wall, semi-octagonal corbel with rounded underside, mediæval.
Churchyard Cross (Plate 47): S. of chancel—lower part
of stem set in base with hollow-chamfered top and
trefoil-headed niche in W. face, two steps, below, resting on a high plinth with chamfered base and capping,
c. 1300. Font: modern but incorporating square stem
with four attached shafts, moulded necking and base,
early 13th-century. Glass: In nave—in S.E. window,
fragments including tabernacle-work and foliage, 14th
and 15th-century. Monument: In W. tower—on N.
wall, to Elizabeth, 1715, John, 1712–3, and Benjamin,
1695, children of Thomas Vobe, and others added
later, plain tablet removed from nave and decorations
destroyed. Piscina: In chancel—recess with moulded
jambs and trefoiled head, round drain, 13th-century.
Table: In vestry—with turned legs, three in front,
shaped top-rails, late 17th-century.
Condition—Good, much restored.
b(2). Bush Farm, house and outbuildings, 1 m.
E.N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
partly with cellars and attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. The W. part of the
house with the cross-wing was built in the 16th century;
the E. part of the house, with its cross-wing, was added
in the first half of the 17th century. Some of the
timber-framing is exposed. The upper storey projects
at the N. end of the E. cross-wing on a moulded and
enriched bressummer and shaped brackets. Inside the
building are some 17th-century moulded ceiling-beams
and some earlier chamfered beams. The 17th-century
staircase has moulded strings, square newels and flat
The Cider-mill, adjoining the house on the N., is of
the 17th century and has exposed timber-framing. The
Barn, W. of the house, is of the same period and is of
five bays with exposed timber-framing.
Condition—Of house, good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed and with tiled or slate-covered roofs.
Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and
exposed ceiling-beams and all, except (9) and (12), have
exposed external timber-framing.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
a(3). Cottage, 25 yards N. of the church.
a(4). Church Farm, house, 70 yards S.E. of the church,
has an added 18th-century stone cider-mill on the W.,
and other later additions.
b(5). Cottage, on the N.W. side of the road, 320 yards
E. of the church.
b(6). Cottage, at Coombe Hill, 760 yards S.E. of the
b(7). Cottage, two tenements, on the S. side of the
road, 1,140 yards E. of the church.
b(8). Stroud Cottage, on the S.W. side of the road,
1,060 yards N.E. of the church.
b(9). House, on the W. side of the road, 220 yards
W.S.W. of (8), is of two storeys with attics. It was
built early in the 18th century, of brick with a band
between the storeys. The S. front has a modillioned
eaves-cornice of wood and original windows with solid
frame, mullion and transom; the doorway is flanked
by fluted pilasters supporting brackets and a hood with
a pediment; the door is of eight panels.
b(10). Cottage, on the E. side of the cross-roads, 270
yards N. of (9), was built late in the 17th or early in the
18th century and has a thatched roof.
b(11). House, now post-office, nearly ¾ m. N.E. of the
church, was built probably early in the 18th century.
b(12). Pound Farm, house and barn, ¾ m. E. of the
church. The House has been entirely modernized
externally. The Barn, N.W. of the house, is of four
bays, partly weather-boarded.
b(13). Lynchets at Pithouse Rough, over ½ m. E.S.E.
of the church, consist of a series of five terraces, extending for about 120 yards.