22 COLLINGTON (D.a.)
(O.S. 6 in. XIV, S.W.)
Collington is a parish 3½ m. N. of Bromyard.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary stands near the
middle of the parish. It was built in 1856 on a new
site, the old church having stood on the E. side of the
the parish. It contains, from the old church, the
Fittings—Bell: one, inaccessible. Font (Plate 53):
octagonal tapering bowl with a shallow pointed arch
on each face and shafts at the angles, moulded base,
13th-century. Plate: includes cup (Plate 69) and
cover-paten of 1570, the cup with band of engraved
ornament and the paten with the date 1571 on the
(2). Homestead Moat, at Martin's Castle, 300 yards
N. of the church, encloses a roughly square island.
(3). Underhill, house S. of the church, is of two
storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of timber-framing and brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built
in the 17th century, but was partly re-faced in brick in
the 18th century and has modern additions on the N.
and W. Some of the timber-framing and ceiling-beams are exposed.
(4). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 350 yards N.
of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with
a slate-covered roof. It was built in the 17th century
but was heightened early in the 18th century. The
timber-framing is exposed.
(5). Tynings, house, nearly ¾ m. N.N.W. of the
church, is of two storeys; the walls are timber-framed
and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built late in
the 17th century and has exposed timber-framing.
Colwall, the Parish Church of St James the Great.
(6). Cwmwood Farm (Plate 29), house, 1,600 yards
N.E. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the
walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. It
was built in the 17th century and has exposed external
framing and internal ceiling-beams.
(7) Cottage, ½ m. E. of the church, is of two storeys,
timber-framed and with a corrugated iron roof. It was
built in the 17th century and has exposed external and