26 CRADLEY (E.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXVIII, N.E., (b)XXVIII, S.E.,
(c)XXIX, N.W., (d)XXIX, S.W.)
Cradley is a large parish on the E. border of the
county, 6 m. N.N.E. of Ledbury. The church, parish
hall (formerly school), and Barrow Mill are the principal
d(1). Parish Church of St. James stands towards the
S. side of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone
rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs
are tiled. The S. doorway and the West Tower date
from late in the 12th century. The top stage of the
tower was added late in the 14th or early in the 15th
century. The church was repaired in 1854, and
drastically restored and largely re-built in 1870 when
the North Aisle was added; much of the old material
of the Chancel and Nape was re-set. The South Porch
was added in 1893.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (31¾ ft. by
25 ft.) has been largely re-built, but part of the plinth
of the E. wall is old and perhaps of c. 1200. The E.
window is modern. In the N. wall are two windows
of c. 1330 and each of two trefoiled ogee lights with a
quatrefoil in a two-centred head. In the S. wall are
two partly restored windows of similar form and date;
between them is a doorway with chamfered jambs and
semi-elliptical head. There is no chancel-arch.
The Nave (74½ ft. by 25 ft.) has a modern N. arcade.
In the S. wall are four modern windows; the re-set
late 12th-century S. doorway, of c. 1200, has a round arch
of three orders, the inner square with a beaded edge,
the middle moulded and with cheveron-ornament,
and the outer order with cheveron-ornament; the
jambs have each an attached shaft with scalloped capital,
moulded base and abacus.
The West Tower (22 ft. by 21¾ ft.) is of three stages,
the two lower, undivided externally, and of c. 1200, and
the top stage of late 14th or early 15th-century date and
finished with an embattled parapet. The two-centred
tower-arch is of late 12th-century date and of two square
orders, the outer interrupted by an impost and the
inner springing from triple attached shafts with
scalloped capitals and moulded bases. In the S. wall
is a doorway with beaded jambs and segmental head
cut in one stone, with sham voussoirs lined on it. The
rear-arch is formed apparently of the two halves of the
bowl of an octagonal font with the bottom cut away;
the whole doorway is probably of about the date 1722
when the new font was provided. The late 14th or
early 15th-century W. window is of three trefoiled
lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with
a moulded label. The second stage has, in the N. and
S. walls, a window of one square-headed light; in the
W. wall is a late 14th or early 15th-century window of
one trefoiled light in a square head with a moulded
label. The bell-chamber has, in the N., S. and W. walls,
a window of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a
two-centred head. In the E. wall is a window of one
plain pointed light. Within the ground-stage of the
tower are two timber-framed walls parallel to the N.
and S. sides, and probably of 17th-century date and
inserted to stiffen the structure.
Fittings—Brass: In chancel—to Morgan Powell,
B.D., Chancellor of Hereford , inscription only,
date formerly on slab. Chest: In nave—long chest
with iron straps and hinges, two with fleur-de-lis ends,
others with scrolled ends, three lock-plates, lid in two
parts, probably mediæval. Churchyard Cross: S. of
tower, square base and part of octagonal shaft, reversed,
all of tufa, now used for sundial. Desk: In chancel—
with panelled front, shaped ends with modern heads,
15th or early 16th-century. Door: In tower-partition
—battened door with strap hinges, 17th-century.
Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: In chancel—
on S. wall, (1) to Margaret (Pichard), wife of William
Smith, 1613–14, plain slab. On external S. wall of
chancel—(2) to Richard Nokes, 1608, stone panel;
(3) to John [Log]gon, 1627, stone slab; (4) to William
son of John Lo[ggon], 1684, stone slab. In nave—on
W. wall, (5) to John Benson, M.A., Prebendary of Hereford, 1713, Catherine (Martin) his wife, 1725, and Mary,
1707, and Elizabeth, 1715, his daughters, marble slab.
Floor-slab: In W. tower—to James Jurnon, jun. [?],
1667, fragment only. Screen: Between chancel and
nave—modern upper part and plain close-panelled
lower part with two low doors having trefoiled and sub-cusped heads and foliated spandrels, one head modern,
15th-century. Seating: Bench-end incorporated in
quire-stalls, 15th or early 16th-century; in W. tower—
bench with part of one shaped end, same date. Table:
In chancel—half of round table with turned legs and
enriched top rail, early 17th-century. Miscellanea:
In vestry—two small kneeling figures of women, probably from early 17th-century monument. Incorporated in masonry, fragments of moulded stones,
head and mask-stops and corbels, 12th-century. In N.
wall of tower—stone (Plate 18), 2 ft. 4 in. by 7½ in.,
with interlocking crocket-ornament in panel, probably
The Lych Gate, on the S.W. side of the churchyard,
is timber-framed and of two bays, with tie-beams,
curved braces and collars. It is probably of 16th or
17th-century date with some modern material.
d(2). Fishponds at Churchfield, 400 yards S.S.W. of
the church, consist of three adjacent ponds connected
by a ditch with a further pond to the W.
b(3). Seed Farm, house, outbuildings and moat, 2 m.
W. of the church. The House is of two storeys; the
walls are of stone with some timber-framing and the
roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 16th
century or earlier and remodelled in the 17th century
when the E. wing was added or re-built. A 17th-century chimney-stack, at the W. end, has a brick shaft
with V-shaped projections. Inside the building are
some exposed ceiling-beams.
The Barn, N.W. of the house, is of the 17th century,
timber-framed and of four bays with raking struts
supporting the side walls; the building is continued N.
to form stables, etc.
The Cow-shed, at right angles to the barn, is timber-framed, and perhaps of early 18th-century date.
The Moat, surrounds the house forming an island of
roughly oval form.
Condition—Of house, good.
Cradley, the Parish Hall, Formerly Boys' School
d(4). Parish Hall (Plate 123), S.E. of the churchyard, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with tiled
roofs. It was built in the 15th century and was formerly
a school-house. Some repairs were made c. 1674 and
the projecting N. wing may be of this date. The building was restored in the 19th century when the upper
floor was removed and the porch added. The timber-framing is exposed on all sides. The upper storey
projects on the N. and S. sides and at the W. end, on
original moulded bressummers and curved brackets
and octagonal shafts on the angle-posts. Across the
middle of the upper storey is an original moulded string-course, partly restored. On the N. side is a re-built
chimney-stack incorporating a stone inscribed "Church
Wardens, Richard Turner, William Bullock, 1674."
The interior has had the first floor removed except
for the main beams; the largely reconstructed roof is
of five bays.
c(5). Barrow Mill, house, nearly 1¾ m. N. of the
church, is of two storeys with cellars; the walls are
timber-framed and the roofs are slate-covered. It was
built early in the 17th century on a half H-shaped plan
with the wings extending towards the W. and there is
a modern addition between them.
The porch and staircase are good examples of the
The timber-framing is exposed on the W. side. The
two-storeyed porch (Plate 31), on the E. front, has
shaped brackets under the moulded bressummer and
symmetrically turned balusters in the side walls. Inside
the building, the chamfered ceiling-beams are exposed,
one in the S. room being supported on shaped brackets.
The fireplace, in the middle room, has stone jambs and
an oak lintel. The staircase (Plate 124) is contained in
a small wing on the W. of the house; it is of narrow
well-type with moulded strings, large flat balusters
with raking mouldings and square newels with moulded
pendants and tall square terminals with ornament in
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed and with tile or slate-covered roofs.
Most of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams, and some retain
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
c(6). Old Norrest, cottage, about 2 m. N.N.E. of the
church, is of late 16th or early 17th-century date and has
a chimney-stack with three shafts, two of which are set
c(7). Byfields, house, about 1¼ m. N.N.E. of the
church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the N. and E.; the E. wing is of later date than
the N. wing. Inside the building, one room has
original moulded ceiling-beams.
c(8). House at Crumpton Hill, about 1¾ m. N.E. of the
church, has been extended and heightened.
c(9). Whippets, cottage, about 1¾ m. E.N.E. of the
church, was built probably early in the 18th century.
c(10). Hill Farm, house, about 1½ m. N.E. of the
church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics. The E.
wing and the middle block are of late 16th or early 17th-century date, but the long W. wing and barn were added
or re-built late in the 17th century. The lean-to
addition at the N. end is of the 18th century. Inside
the W. wing is a re-used 15th-century moulded beam.
d(11). Cowleigh Gate Farm, house, about 1¼ m. E.N.E.
of the church, has a large modern addition on the S. W.
side. The central chimney-stack has two square shafts
with diagonal nibs.
d(12). Upper Vinesend Farm (Plate 24), house and
barn, nearly 1 m. E.N.E. of the church. The House is
of two storeys with cellars and attics. The main block
was built in the 16th century and originally extended
further to the N.E. Early in the 17th century, the S.W.
wing was added together with the porch of the main
block. The timber-framing of the main block is set
diagonally and in herring-bone fashion in alternate bays;
the timbers are close-set. On the first floor is a 16th-century window of three lights with moulded mullions.
The S.W. wing has square framing and two 17th-century
windows each of four lights; the chimney-stack has
two square brick shafts with diagonal nibs. Inside the
building, the staircase retains a 16th or 17th-century
octagonal newel with an ogee-shaped terminal. There
are several old battened doors.
The Barn and cider-mill, N.W. of the house, is probably of early 18th-century date.
Condition—Of house, derelict and ruinous.
d(13). Lower Vinesend Farm, house, 200 yards S.W.
of (12), is of two storeys partly with attics. It is of
T-shaped plan with the rather later cross-wing at the
S. end. The central chimney-stack has two square
shafts with diagonal nibs.
d(14). Hill House and outbuildings, ½ m. N.E. of the
church. The House has been much altered and has
18th and 19th-century additions on the N. and S.
Inside the building are two early 18th-century staircases
with turned balusters. The Outbuildings are now connected with the house by a modern wing.
d(15). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 400 yards
N.N.E. of the church, has a thatched roof.
d(16). Cottage, two tenements, on the S. side of the
road, 130 yards W. of (15), has a thatched roof.
d(17). House, now two tenements, on the W. side of
the road, 60 yards W. of (16), has an original chimney-stack with two square shafts having diagonal nibs.
d(18). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 100 yards S.
d(19). House, now post-office and shop, immediately
S. of (18), is of T-shaped plan, the S. cross-wing being of
earlier date than the N. wing. The upper storey
projects slightly at the W. end of the cross-wing, on
a moulded bressummer and shaped brackets. The
central chimney-stack of the cross-wing has four
grouped shafts, set diagonally.
d(20). Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 25 yards
S.E. of (19) and 170 yards N.N.W. of the church, has
a thatched roof.
d(21). Cottage, opposite and S.E. of (20).
d(22). Cottage, E. of (21).
d(23). Church Cottage, on the S. side of the road, 40
yards S. of the church.
d(24). Cottage, E. of Pound Bridge and 350 yards
W.N.W. of the church, was built late in the 17th or
early in the 18th century.
d(25). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, W. of King's
Bridge and 650 yards W.S.W. of the church, is of late
17th or early 18th-century date.
d(26). Crown Inn, on the W. side of the road, 1,050
yards W.S.W. of the church, has been heightened and
extended towards the W.
d(27). Cottage, on the S.E. side of the road, 100 yards
S. of (26), was built probably early in the 18th century.
d(28). House, 50 yards S.W. of (27), has been largely
extended towards the S.W. and S.E. and entirely
d(29). Sturt Cottage, 270 yards S.W. of (28), has a
d(30). Lower Tanhouse, house, two tenements, 1,470
yards S.W. of the church, has a thatched roof. There
is an early 18th-century extension at the W. end.
b(31). Pitlick Farm, house, 560 yards W.S.W. of (30),
was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century,
and has a thatched roof.
d(32). Birch Cottage, on the E. side of the road at
Stoney Cross, nearly ¾ m. W. of the church, has a
d(33). Cottage, E. of crossroads and 1,600 yards W.
of the church, has a thatched roof.
d(34). Coomb Farm, house and barn, about 1 m. N.W.
of the church. The House retains its original S. cross-wing, but the rest of the structure was re-built or added
in the 18th century and later times. The Barn, N. of
the house, is now roofed with corrugated iron.
a(35). Mines Farm, cottage, 220 yards N.N.W. of (34),
was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
c(36). Upper House (Plate 29), 380 yards N.E. of (34),
is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the S. and E.; there is also a small staircase-wing on
the E. side of the S. wing. Two crutches in the N. end
may indicate that parts of a mediæval building are
incorporated in the structure. The timber-framing, in
squares, is completely exposed. The central chimney-stack has two shafts with diagonal nibs. The N.
chimney-stack and shafts are entirely of stone.
d(37). Red Lion Inn, on the S.E. side of the road, at
Stifford's Bridge, 1,000 yards N.N.W. of the church, has
18th-century and later additions on the N.W. side and
at both ends. Inside the building is an original fireplace, with an oak lintel cut to a flat arch on the soffit.
c(38). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 120 yards
N.E. of (37), has been much altered.
c(39). Cottage, adjoining Smithy, 70 yards N.W. of
c(40). Cottage, 130 yards N.N.W. of (39), has an
early 18th-century addition on the E. The roof is
c(41). Harrells, range of tenements on the W. side
of the road, about 1¼ m. N. of the church, is in two
parts; the northern is an early 18th-century addition.
c(42). Burysgate, cottage, 160 yards N. of (41), is
probably of early 18th-century date.
c(43). Lower Nupend, house, about 1 m. N.W. of the
church, has an E. cross-wing built c. 1600 and heightened
in the 18th-century; it is now of three storeys. The
rest of the house was re-built in the 18th century.
Inside the cross-wing the S. room has moulded beams
(Plate 44), dividing the ceiling into nine bays; the
panels have simple geometrical designs in plaster, of
a(44). House, now store, on the W. side of the road,
2 m. N.W. of the church, was formerly part of a
larger building. The upper storey projects on the E.
side on a moulded bressummer and shaped brackets.
a(45). Cottage, on the N.E. boundary of the parish,
2½ m. N.W. of the church.
c(46). Mound, near the E. side of the road, nearly
1½ m. N.E. of the church. A roughly circular natural
knoll, approached by a causeway on the N.E., appears
to have been artificially heightened.