39 HAMPTON BISHOP (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXIV, S.W., (b)XL, N.W.)
Hampton Bishop is a parish lying between the rivers
Wye and Lugg, 3½ m. E.S.E. of Hereford. The church
is the principal monument.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Andrew stands in
the middle of the southern part of the parish. The
walls are of local sandstone rubble, with grey dressings
of the same material; the roofs are covered with
tiles, slates and shingles. The Nave, with the chancel-arch, dates from the first half of the 12th century; it
was extended to the W. late in the same century, and
the North Tower was perhaps added about the same
time. There is a reconstructed 12th-century arch in
the N. wall of the chancel, but it is doubtful if it is
in situ. About the middle of the 13th century a N.
aisle was added, the N. arcade of the nave inserted
and arches inserted in the E. and S. walls of the tower.
Early in the 14th century the Chancel was re-built and
probably lengthened, and at the same time the North
Chapel was re-built and enlarged and the North Aisle
widened to the same projection as the tower. The
tower was extensively restored early in the 19th
century, and the North Vestry, South Porch and the W.
wall of the nave are modern. The N. chapel was
restored in 1908–12.
The church is interesting on account of its unusual
plan. Amongst the fittings the reredos in the N.
chapel is noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (27 ft. by
14½ ft. average) has an early 14th-century E. window
of three lights with the mullions carried up into the
two-centred head; the side-lights have pointed heads.
In the N. wall is a late 12th-century re-set archway with
a round arch of two chamfered orders springing from
semi-cylindrical responds, the western plain and the
eastern with scalloped ornament and without an
abacus. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern
of early 14th-century date and of two trefoiled lights
in a square head, and the western a lancet-light probably
of the same date; between them is an early 14th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. The round chancel-arch is of early
12th-century date and of one moulded order with a
grooved and chamfered label and moulded imposts.
The North Chapel (28 ft. by 13½ ft.) has, in the E.
wall, two early 14th-century windows each of a single
trefoiled light; both are now blocked, internally, by
the reredos of the chapel. In the N. wall are two
windows, the eastern probably of late 15th-century
date, but now of three plain lights in a square head;
the western window is similar to those in the E. wall
but is not blocked.
Hampton Bishop, the Parish Church of St. Andrew
The Nave (70 ft. by 15½ ft.) has, in the N. wall, a mid
13th-century arcade of two bays with two-centred
arches of two chamfered orders; the W. arch is set
back in the wall of the tower; the cylindrical column
has a moulded capital and base, and the E. respond has
an attached half-column; the W. respond has a chamfered impost; further W. is a 13th-century arch of
two chamfered orders opening into the tower, the
responds form square piers with chamfered imposts;
towards the W. end of the wall is a 12th-century window
of one round-headed light. In the S. wall are three
windows, the easternmost of late 13th-century date
and of two trefoiled lights with soffit-cusping; the
other two windows are modern; the 12th-century S.
doorway (Plate 12) appears to have been re-set and
altered; the jambs are of one plain order with chamfered brackets to support the flat lintel, which is
enriched with scale ornament and diapering; the round
arch has cheveron-ornament and a moulded label with
billets; it encloses a plain masonry tympanum. The
W. window and wall are modern.
The North Aisle (11 ft. wide) has, in the N. wall, a
modern window, and farther W. an early 14th-century
doorway with jambs and two-centred arch of one
chamfered order. In the W. wall is a two-centred
arch of one chamfered order, opening into the tower;
it has a modern inner order and modern added responds.
The Tower (10½ ft. square) is of late 12th-century
date and of three stages, largely re-built; it has a deeply
projecting plinth which is continued a short distance
within the aisle. The ground-stage has, in the N. and
W. walls, a round-headed window, that on the N.
much restored or re-built. The second stage has, in
the E., N. and W. walls, a pair of similar windows,
re-built of old materials. The timber-framed bell-chamber is modern.
The Roof of the chancel is of trussed-rafter type with
curved braces to the collars; it is probably of the
15th or 16th century. The roof of the N. chapel and
aisle is of trussed-rafter type with straight braces to the
collars; it is perhaps of the 14th century. The roof
of the nave is similar to that of the N. aisle.
Fittings—Bells: six; 2nd and 3rd by John Finch,
1654; 4th by Abraham Rudhall, 1694; 5th and 6th
by Thomas Clibury II, 1671; bell-frame old. Brackets:
In chancel—flanking E. window, two, of corbel-form,
15th-century or earlier. In N. chapel—on E. wall,
three, of defaced semi-octagonal form, probably re-set,
in reredos. Chairs: In N. chapel (Plate 41)—with
turned front legs and posts, scrolled arms, carved rails
and back with arched panel and date 1642. In nave—of
similar type but without date. Chest: In nave—plain
oak chest with three locks and staples and strap-hinges,
17th-century. Churchyard Cross (Plate 47): N. of
tower—octagonal shaft on square base with octagonal
top and broach stops; niche in projection on W. face of
base with pointed arch and gabled head; three steps,
14th-century, cross-head, modern. Communion Table: In
vestry—small table, with turned legs, fluted top-rails
with shaped brackets, early 17th-century. Floor-slab:
In nave—near W. end, to Samson Weaver, 1695, and
three children, with the initials T., J. and A. Font:
plain round bowl, with rounded lower edge, cylindrical
stem and chamfered base, probably 13th-century;
cover, flat oak board with four shaped struts meeting
at a central post with an acorn-terminal, 17th-century.
Piscina: In N. chapel—in S. wall, recess with trefoiled
head and two quatre-foiled drains, early 14th-century.
Pulpit: hexagonal and tub-shaped, each face with
two panels, upper with incised arabesque-ornament
and lower with geometrical foliage-ornament, top rail
with conventional foliage, panels on N.E. side uncarved, 17th-century, but much altered and made up from
other materials. Reredos (Plate 130): In N. chapel—on
E. wall, remains of stone reredos of seven bays, middle
and outer bays wider than the others and carried up
the full height and finished with canopies of tabernacle-work; smaller bays in two stages each with a
canopy of tabernacle-work; bays divided by moulded
piers or shafts with attached buttresses or posts, set
diagonally and carried above the canopies; mutilated
brackets at base of narrow bays; loose stones, forming
part of same composition, now on window-sills;
remains of colour on fixed and loose portions and on a
loose shield, the last apparently quarterly with a mill-rind
cross in the first and fourth quarters, 15th-century, much
a(2). Tupsley Court, house, now two tenements,
2 m. N. W. of the church. The House is of two storeys
with cellars and attics; the walls are timber-framed
and the roofs are covered with slates. The existing
plan is L-shaped with the wings extending towards
the S. and W. The early part of the W. wing, which
formed an isolated building, and the N. part of the S.
wing date from early in the 17th century; the S. wing
was extended to the S. later in the same century. The
W. wing was extended, as a stable, probably early in
the 18th century. The timber-framing is exposed on
all the fronts, but the openings are mostly modern.
The added stable has a lower storey of stone. Inside
the building the chamfered ceiling-beams are exposed
and there is a moulded ceiling-beam in the W. wing;
the same wing has three original tie-beams.
The Barn, S.E. of the house, is of the 17th century
and was originally of five bays, extended later in the
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are covered
with tiles, slate or thatch. Most of the buildings have
exposed timber-framing and ceiling-beams, and some
retain their old chimney-stacks.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
a(3). Lower House Farm, house, 200 yards N.N.E.
of (2), is of two storeys with attics and cellars. It was
built probably late in the 16th century and is of T-shaped
plan with the cross-wing at the W. end. The upper
storey projects at the S. end of the cross-wing with
curved brackets and pendants at the ends. The N.
end of this wing has exposed framing with trellis-framing in the gable. Inside the building are some
moulded or chamfered ceiling-beams and a battened
door with ornamental strap-hinges; a second door
is of late 16th or early 17th-century panelling.
a(4). Cottage, 300 yards S. of (2).
b(5). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, neatly
1¼ m. W.N.W. of the church.
b(6). Barn at Fox Cottage, 120 yards E.S.E. of (5),
is of three bays, with a queen-post roof-truss.
b(7). Cottage, on the N.E. side of the road, 1,150
yards W.N.W. of the church.
b(8). Cottage, 50 yards S.E. of (7).
b(9). Cottage, 60 yards S.E. of (8), is attached to a
b(10). Cottage, at the road-fork, 700 yards W. of
b(11). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, 780 yards
W.N.W. of the church.
b(12). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 200 yards
E.S.E. of (11), has a chimney-stack dated 1779.
b(13). Cottage, 60 yards E. of (12).
b(14). Cottage, 60 yards E. of (13) and ¼ m. N.W. of
the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the W. and N. It incorporates a 15th-century or earlier crutch-truss in the end wall of the
b(15). Stables at the rectory, 280 yards N.N.W. of
the church, are of one storey and retain the original
b(16). Cottage, 60 yards E. of (15), has a chimney-stack with stepped offsets.
b(17). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, 400 yards
N. of the church.
b(18). Church Farm, house, 80 yards S.S.W. of the
church, is of H-shaped plan with the cross-wings at
the E. and W. ends. On the W. face is a gabled
porch with original flat shaped balusters in the side
walls. Inside the building the early 18th-century
staircase has a straight string and thin turned balusters.
b(19). Cottage, opposite (18).
b(20). Farmhouse, 120 yards W. of (18), has an 18th-century wing on the N. The house incorporates a
heavy curved beam, perhaps part of an early crutchtruss.
b(21). White Hall, house and barn, 360 yards W.S.W.
of the church. The House is of two storeys with
attics and was of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and W. The walls are of brick and
stone. The W. wing was extended early in the 18th
century and an addition made in the angle between the
wings later in the same century. Inside the building
is an early 18th-century staircase with straight strings,
turned balusters and square newels. There are several
17th-century battened doors.
The Barn, E. of the house, has the lower walls of
b(22). Cottage, at the road-fork, 80 yards W. of (21).
b(23). House, now three tenements, on the S. side
of the road, 400 yards S.S.W. of the church, has modern
b(24). Cottage, 350 yards E.S.E. of (23).