Bootham (Monuments 35–57) (fn. 1)
Bootham is the main road out of York to the N.W.
(Plate 85). There were houses here in the Middle Ages
but none now remaining is earlier than the 17th century.
Nos. 39 to 61 (odd), on the N.E. side, are mainly of the
18th century and form one of the most distinguished
groups of houses in the City. On the S.W. side there is
only one house earlier than the 19th century, built on
the narrow strip of ground between the road and the
precinct wall of St. Mary's Abbey, where in the Middle
Ages was the ditch outside the wall. The houses in this
street are of three storeys unless otherwise described.
(35) House, Nos. 15, 17, is of two builds. The S.E.
part was built as a two-storey house probably in the
early 18th century; in 1790 it was acquired by Thomas
Wolstenholme (see p. lvi) who recorded in his will, dated
1800, that in 1799 he built a smaller house to the N.W.
and added a third storey to the earlier house. Both parts
of the building have been much altered and now
comprise a shop with a single maisonette above.
Both houses were small, having frontages of about 17 ft. and
10 ft. respectively. The street front has been much altered.
Internally many of the fittings have been renewed but in the
N.W. part the upper flights of the original staircase of 1799
remain, and in the S.E. part are two fireplaces of the same date;
one of these, on the first floor, has composition decoration of
anthemion pattern between profile heads, almost certainly by
Wolstenholme himself, and very similar to work in his house
at No. 3 Gillygate (117). His composition decoration also
appears on the architrave to one of the doors.
(36) Exhibition Hotel, No. 19, was built in the late
18th century as a fairly large house, which was occupied
in the last decade of the century by James Fenton and
after 1800 by Lady Royds (Rate Books); it had certainly
become a hotel by 1872 (Benson, iii, 166) and the name
probably commemorates the Fine Art and Industrial
Exhibition of 1866 (see (13)). The street front has been
remodelled in modern times but its earlier state can be
seen in watercolours by R. Dighton (c. 1815) and C.
Dillon (c. 1840) (Evelyn Collection, YCL); the interior
has been altered.
The house is of three storeys with attics with a brick gable
to the rear above storeys defined by brick bands. The interior
has been stripped of original fittings but the main lines of the
plan can be recognised; the entrance was to one side, leading
to a staircase placed transversely in the middle of the house, and
at the back two rooms flanked a central passage.
City of York, Elevations to the North side of Bootham, 1973.
(37) Houses, Nos. 21, 23, were built in the late 17th
century as a single dwelling on an L-shaped plan. In the
18th century the re-entrant angle was filled in. In the
19th century the ground floor was converted to shops,
the upper windows enlarged and the front stuccoed.
Fig. 49. (37) Nos. 21, 23 Bootham.
The building is of two storeys with attics. The original
central entrance remains, with moulded surround and key-block. There are five windows to the first floor with similar
key-blocks to the heads, fitted with 19th-century sashes. The
gabled back wing also has windows refitted with hung sashes.
Inside there is a fine staircase with close strings, heavy turned
balusters and square newels (Plate 124). One of the front rooms
on the first floor has the plaster on the walls painted with a
diaper pattern in pale blue and black, probably original; it was
preserved under late wallpaper but has now been exposed.
(38) No. 25 was erected in 1766 and has a rainwater
head (Plate 106) dated 1768 with the initials TG for
Thomas Gilbank who purchased the house in that year
from Mrs. Woodyear (Rate Books; YCA, M13, M14).
After 1850 the house was enlarged, increasing the front
from five bays to seven, and the ground floor was
converted to shops.
The original house was a substantial three-storey building
with a central entrance. The late 19th-century shop front
extends across the full width of the enlarged building incorporating the original entrance into the unified design. The
shop front is no longer complete but is of interest as one of the
few remaining shop fronts in the town which includes castiron construction. The maker's nameplate is almost illegible
but the words Micklegate, York can still be made out. The
brickwork above is in Flemish bond with windows under
arches of gauged brick and fitted with 19th-century sashes.
At the eaves is a timber cornice with modillions and dentils.
The back is partly masked by modern commercial premises; a
polygonal bay projects for the full height of the house. Inside,
many original cornices, dado rails and window architraves
remain but no fireplaces. The elegant staircase (Plate 125) has
turned balusters, clustered round a turned newel at the foot.
(39) House, No. 33, was erected by Robert Clough,
builder, between 1752 and 1755 (YCA, E93, f. 293,
E94, f. 4) (see also Monument (128)).
Fig. 50. (39) No. 33 Bootham.
The principal elevation to Bootham is of four bays, with
cement-rendered plinth, painted stone bands at both upper
floor levels, and continuous sill bands to the ground and first-floor storeys. The sash windows have flat arches of gauged
brick; those to the two lower storeys have recessed frames
and painted rendered reveals, those to the top storey flush
frames which are replacements probably of 19th-century date,
as is the moulded timber cornice. The front door, approached
by a flight of four stone steps, has a simple surround of the
early 19th century, with sunk panels to the pilasters and a
triangular pediment; the door is original and has eight fielded
Fig. 51. (39) No. 33 Bootham. Back staircase.
The rear elevation (Plate 93), with walling of common
bricks, has good red brick dressings to the window arches and
bands. Wings of full height project from both end bays, that
to the N.W. being narrower; it probably contained privy
closets. The brick plinth, and the plat-bands to both upper
floors are continued round the wings. The windows have flat
arches of gauged brick. Above the central rear entrance is a
round-arched window lighting the staircase. The roof is in
two spans parallel to the street.
Inside the house some alterations have been made to the
fittings. The ground floor has four rooms, with the entrance
hall passage made by partitioning the original hall, and the
staircase hall situated behind, between two smaller back rooms.
A secondary servants' staircase is located in the middle of the
house against the S.E. side wall. The main staircase (Plate 126;
Fig. 8, p. li) has three balusters to each tread, swept at the foot
of the stair in a cluster round the newel. The staircase window is
flanked by Roman Doric pilasters on pedestals, with moulding
and enrichment to the arch above, under swags of plaster
drapery with ribbons and tassels.
The servants' staircase has close strings, turned balusters and
square newel posts, with attached half-balusters. The moulded
handrail is carried vertically up the face of the newel to reach
the level of the next stair flight, an arrangement made necessary
by the confined space and steep ascent (Fig. 51).
(40) House, No. 35, now of three full storeys with
cellars, was built as a two-storey house before 1668
(Deeds), and presumably after the siege of York in 1644.
In the middle of the 18th century the third storey was
added and the house was extended at the back. Further
remodelling in the early 19th century included the
addition of a small wing on the N.W. side and the
fitting of the present door-case to the entrance.
On the street front the storeys are separated by brick bands.
The doorway is flanked by reeded half-columns and curved
brackets carrying a pediment over a semicircular fanlight. The
windows are fitted with 19th-century sashes; at the wall head
a timber eaves cornice carries a concealed gutter discharging
to a lead rainwater head on the side elevation. The plan
originally provided three rooms, all with fireplaces, one behind
the other. The original staircase was at the side of the chimney
between the front and middle rooms; this has been replaced by
an 18th-century staircase with turned balusters, and the
original staircase has been reset at the back of the house (see
Fig. 8, p. li). Other 17th-century fittings remaining consist
of a bolection-moulded fireplace surround and a door with
two panels set in bolection-moulded framing. Some fittings
survive from the 18th and early 19th centuries, including
rococo plasterwork to the ceiling over the main staircase and a
short stairway to the added wing with cast-iron balusters of
(41) Houses, Nos. 39–45 (odd) (Plate 86; Figs. 52, 53),
were built as a terrace in 1748 by Thomas Griffith;
the site of Nos. 39–43 had been a garden and had a
frontage of only 55 ft.; No. 45 replaced an earlier
building giving a wider frontage. Griffith occupied
No. 45 himself; the other houses were let (YCA, E93,
195, 213, 241). At the back of No. 45 a substantial block
was added c. 1800 and late in the 19th century Griffith's
house was pulled down and replaced by a new, fourstorey house, retaining the structure of 1800 behind it.
Nos. 41 and 43 are now combined as one property and
divided into flats.
Fig. 52. (41) Nos. 39–45 Bootham. Front Elevation (reconstruction).
The street front, of three storeys above a basement, is
terminated at each end by stone quoins and the storeys are
divided by stone bands; the quoins comprise small stones flush
with the brickwork alternating with larger projecting stones.
At the eaves is a bold timber cornice, with modillions, carrying
a concealed gutter; part has been restored. The design is now
interrupted by the four-storey front of the later No. 45 but
the quoins of the original N.W. angle remain in position. The
door-case to the entrance to No. 45 (Plate 107) is however of
mid 18th-century date, and is probably one of the original
doorcases reused. For Nos. 39–43 there are now only two
doorways, one with a semicircular fanlight in an open pediment of c. 1800 (Plate 108) and one with a late 19th-century
door-case. The fenestration has been altered so that only No. 41
now has windows all of the original size; they have flat
arches of gauged brick with keystones; the sashes have lost the
original glazing bars and early 19th-century wrought-iron
guards have been added to the first-floor windows. The S.E.
end has a double gable with parapets concealing the end of the
double-span roof. The back has been much altered. Projecting
behind No. 45 is the four-storey block of c. 1800 with two very
large hung-sash windows to the first floor; these and the
other smaller windows all have flat arches of gauged rubbed
brick, very markedly splayed.
Nos. 41 and 43 were joined into one in c. 1800 and, together
with No. 39, were extensively refitted, but on the top floor
No. 39 retains an original fireplace and panelling. No. 41 retains an original panelled dado in the front room on the ground
floor and a simple cornice in the room behind; in No. 43 the
front room on the ground floor and the saloon above are both
lined with original fielded panels above plain dados. The staircase of No. 41 has been removed but most of the original staircases remain in Nos. 39 and 43, with open strings and turned
balusters. Otherwise fittings are mostly early 19th-century with
free use of reeding (Plate 111) and mouldings of symmetrical
section combined with composition decoration almost certainly by Thomas Wolstenholme (Plate 113).
Fig. 53. (41) Nos. 39, 41, 43 Bootham.
(42) House, No. 47, was built in 1753 by John Carr
for Mrs. Mary Thompson, widow of Edward Thompson, M.P., of Oswaldkirk. Mrs. Thompson died in 1784
and the house was subsequently owned by Leonard
Pickard (1798) and the Rev. Pickard (1855). (YCA, E93,
288; Rate Books of St. Michael-le-Belfrey in YML;
Deeds; APS, Dictionary of Architecture, ii, 36.) It is now
owned by Bootham School.
The house is of three storeys with attics and basement, and
has a front of four bays. The most notable features of the
elevation (Plate 86) are the double bands to the two lower
storeys and the lengths of stone cornice over the window
arches, unsupported by an entablature or brackets; the window
cornices of the ground floor are aligned with the cornice over
the architrave to the lofty entrance doorway, which has
supporting brackets to each side. At the eaves is a heavy
timber cornice carrying a concealed gutter. A rainwater head
has a monogram of initials probably of Mary Thompson
(Plate 106). The eaves cornice is continued round to the back
where there is a large round-headed window to the staircase
and a projecting three-sided brick bay with sash windows,
originally of two storeys but heightened to three storeys in the
Fig. 54. (42) No. 47 Bootham.
Internally the house is well fitted and has been little altered.
The principal rooms have moulded ceiling cornices and
enriched architraves to door and window openings. On the
ground floor the former dining-room (Plate 117) has the
walls panelled above a dado rail; over the door is an entablature with decorated frieze (Plate 110) and over the enriched
fireplace surround is an eared overmantel with carved pendants
at the sides. The main staircase (Plate 123) rises only to the
first floor and has turned balusters alternately plain, fluted, and
twisted, and newels in the form of fluted columns. Over the
staircase the ceiling is enriched with plaster panels and foliage
(Plate 118). On the first floor the Saloon occupies three bays
of the front and has an ornate fireplace and overmantel enriched with fruit, flowers and foliage (Plate 116). The secondary staircase rises through the full height of the house; up to
the first floor, where it was for servants' use only, it has a
close string and square newels, but above the first floor it has
an open string, turned newels as well as turned balusters and a
more delicate handrail. The second floor was partly refitted
in the 19th century. In the attics the queen-post construction
of the roof trusses is exposed.
(43) House, No. 49, was built in the late 17th century
as two dwellings of two storeys with attics. In c. 1738
the two houses were converted into one (Deeds); the
front part was heightened to three full storeys and
remodelled with the addition of rusticated quoins
(Plate 87). The back elevation was completely rebuilt
in 1965 but the previous disposition is shown in the
accompanying figure and in Plate 92.
The main front to the street is built in Flemish bond with a
brick plinth, a plain band at first-floor level, and at the second
floor a moulded stone string which may have formed the
eaves cornice to the original houses; at each end are rusticated
quoins in applied stucco. At the eaves a timber cornice with
modillions projects boldly to carry a concealed gutter. The
entrance has a late 18th-century door-case with timber pilasters
carrying an open pediment. At the S.E. end is an arch for an
opening now blocked which may have been an original entrance. The rear elevation, before rebuilding, had two 17th-century gables and projections which probably housed staircases and closets. None of the original windows remained, all
having been replaced by sash windows of various dates.
Fig. 55. (43) No. 49 Bootham. Construction of upper floor.
Fig. 56. (43) No. 49 Bootham before reconstruction.
Surviving 17th-century work includes a moulded plaster
cornice, stop-chamfered and stop-moulded ceiling beams and,
in the kitchen, moulded joists. Bolection-moulded panelling
forming a dado in the entrance hall must also antedate the
alterations of 1738. The two front rooms on the ground floor
are lined with ovolo-moulded and fielded panelling and have
fireplaces with moulded surrounds all of c. 1738. Irregularities
in the ceiling of the S.E. room suggest the removal of a partition
enclosing an original entrance passage at the S.E. side. The
staircase has an open string, turned balusters, and a heavy
handrail terminating at the foot in a volute over a turned
newel and clustered balusters; the lower flight is built up on a
heavy inner string reused from an earlier staircase. On the
first floor one of the back rooms has a surround to the fireplace,
architraves to door and window and an over-door (Plate 110)
all moulded and enriched and of c. 1738. Other rooms on this
floor have simpler 18th-century fittings. The top floor, appearing as a full storey on the elevation, comprises attic rooms,
since the 17th-century roofs were modified but not destroyed
when the front was heightened. The trusses are of simple
collar-beam form and the purlins are staggered and held by
tusk tenons projecting through the principal rafters.
(44) House, No. 51 (Plate 87), was built for Sir
Richard Vanden Bempde Johnstone, Bart., who bought
No. 49 and the ground adjoining before 1800. The
house was designed by Peter Atkinson senior and was
nearing completion in 1804 (Deeds; APS, Dictionary of
Architecture, 1, 119). The Yorkshire Gazette (22 March
1834, 14 May 1842) shows that it was formerly known
as Bootham House. It was acquired for Bootham School
in 1846 and the back wing of the house was remodelled
and a second back wing added; this last was destroyed
by fire in 1899 and has been rebuilt since.
The house is of three storeys, built in brick with stone
dressings. The front, of five bays, has a balcony outside the
first-floor windows with cast-iron lattice railings. The central
porch, in the Roman Doric order, has a pair of columns to
each side, the spaces between the columns corresponding to
small windows between pilasters flanking the doorway. On
the upper floors this rhythm is repeated in triple windows, that
on the first floor being framed by Ionic pilasters and entablature with a curved pediment. The variations in size and
decoration of the windows between one floor and another are
shown in the figure opposite p. 55.
The disposition of the front part of the house has not been
altered. The imposing staircase (Plate 117), approached between fluted columns, is of stone with cast-iron balusters
supporting a slender mahogany rail. Original fittings that
remain include doors and doorcases (Plate 110) and a number
of fireplaces, some with composition enrichments (Plate 115),
probably by Wolstenholme. Other fireplaces have reeded
marble surrounds carved with realistic floral sprays (Plate 114).
(45) Houses, Nos. 53, 55, form one building with a
symmetrical five-bay façade (Plate 88). In a trust deed
of 1773 (YCA, E94, f. 144) the houses are referred to as
two new built messuages, one occupied by John Lund
and the other by Mrs. Robinson, but it seems probable
that the whole building originally formed the one house
on which Lund was paying rates in 1766 (Parish of St.
Giles, YCA, M13, M14), erected c. 1765 and divided into
two c. 1770–1. The style of the front suggests that John
Carr may possibly have been the architect. An extra bay
was added to the N.W. end early in the 19th century.
The building was acquired by Bootham School in 1923
and is now used as school offices.
The street front, facing S.W., has stone bands over the basement and ground-floor windows and joining the first-floor
sills. Over each of the first-floor window arches is a cornice
without architrave or frieze, similar to the cornices at No. 47
(monument 42) by John Carr. At the eaves a timber cornice
carries a concealed gutter. In the centre two doorways are
sheltered by a Doric porch added in the early 19th century.
On the first floor the central window is blind and retains the
original glazing bars but the bars have been removed from the
other windows of the two lower storeys. The N.W. addition
breaks forward and repeats the first-floor bands of the original
building. The back has a small three-storey closet projection
at the S.E. end.
Fig. 57. (44) No. 51 Bootham.
Each house has the very common plan of an entrance
passage widening at the back to accommodate a staircase, one
front room and one back room; the staircase has been removed
from No. 53 and some alterations have been made to the
internal partitions. Throughout the building most of the rooms
have moulded cornices; only one 18th-century fireplace
surround remains, with simple timber mouldings. The
staircase has an open string and turned balusters clustered at the
foot of the stair round a turned newel.
(46) House, No. 57, is referred to as 'new erected'
in a conveyance of 1759 and soon afterwards became the
residence of Dr. William Burgh who lived there for
nearly forty years till his death in 1808 (R. Davies, A
Memoir of the York Press (1868), 271–3, 299; R. H. Skaife
in YAJ, i, iv (1870), 322). The main part of the house
assumed its present appearance c. 1830, when it was
heightened and stuccoed at front and back. An extension
to the N.W. is mostly modern above the bottom storey.
The stuccoed front is'shown in the drawing opposite p. 55;
the back has a small projection at the E. corner for closets on
two floors and in the centre is a projection probably added
c. 1830 providing closets on three floors opening off a back
porch on the ground floor and off extensions of the half
landings of the staircase above; round-headed windows giving
light to the staircase are paired with round-headed blind
recesses in the closet walls. The staircase, with open string and
turned balusters, is of the 18th century but the rest of the
fittings are mostly of the 19th century, including those to the
two intercommunicating reception rooms which occupy the
whole of the front of the house on the first floor.
Fig. 58. (46) No. 57 Bootham.
(47) House, No. 59, was built in the 18th century on
an L-shaped plan probably having a back porch with a
closet over it in the re-entrant angle but the lower part
of this projection has been surrounded by later additions.
The property was purchased in 1764 by Henry Teasdale,
butter factor (Deeds), and was still occupied by Mr.
Teasdale in 1791.
Fig. 59. (47, 48) Nos. 59, 61 Bootham.
The street front has a stucco band at first-floor level and a
timber gutter cornice. The central entrance has been remodelled with a 19th-century door-case and the lower windows
have been reglazed without bars. The back wing has a double-pitch mansard roof, and bay windows have been added to the
first and second floors. The interior fittings are generally of the
late 18th century and of a modest character. The staircase has
good turned balusters, three to a tread, and the handrail is
swept from one flight to the next without newels.
(48) House, No. 61, was built towards the end of the
18th century on an L-shaped plan, three storeys high
with cellars and attics (Plate 88). In c. 1840 a long back
wing was added, with a spacious reception room on the
first floor approached by a new staircase in an enlarged
stair hall. At the same time the original back wing was
heightened to four storeys, the front entrance was remodelled and iron balconies were added to the first-floor windows, uniform with those of 1843 at No. 29
Penley's Grove Street (297). Fittings of this period are
generally very similar to those in Nos. 57 and 65
Bootham (46, 49). In modern times the first-floor room
in the back wing has been adapted for use as a chapel
and the whole wing extended to provide a sanctuary.
The elevation to Bootham is shown in the drawing opposite
p. 55: at first-floor level is a painted band of applied timber;
the sills of the first-floor windows were probably lowered
when the balconies were added; the top windows have been
refitted with 19th-century sashes. On the N.W. side an 18th-century window to the staircase with a round-arched head was
reglazed in the 19th century with marginal panes.
The internal fittings are mostly of c. 1840. The main staircase
rises the full height of the house under a lantern. The stair hall
is entered through a screen with Ionic columns between
pilasters echoing the motif of the front entrance. The staircase
has cantilevered stone treads and iron balusters alternately of
elaborate arabesque design and of symmetrical design about a
central roundel (Plate 131). Some of the rooms have elaborate
friezes (Plate 122) and centrepieces to the ceilings (Plate 120).
At the top of the house some of the rooms retain original doors
(49) Record House, No. 65 (Plate 98), was built
c. 1827, the rating assessment being more than doubled
in 1828. The owner was then Mrs. Barbara Ashton
Nelson and she built the present house further back from
the road than the previous house on the site. From 1838
the owner was R. W. Riddle and the occupier from that
year until c. 1854 was John Clough, banker. The house
is now (1971) used as government offices.
The house, of two storeys above a basement, is built of
ashlar and white brick with a slated roof carried down to
widely projecting eaves; it is built on a nearly square plan with
the rooms arranged around a central stair hall lit by a glazed
lantern which rises above the roof with a chimney at each of its
four corners. Two small wings project N.E. at the back. The
S.W. front towards Bootham is in fine ashlar with a central
curved bay projecting forward with three round-headed
windows to the ground floor. The entrance is on the N.W.
side which is of white brick with stone dressings; a portecochère with two columns supporting a simple entablature
stands in front of the doorway. The S.E. side is also of white
brick with stone dressings, each floor having five windows with
moulded stone architraves. The back, to the N.E., is of common red brick.
The central staircase has cantilevered stone treads and castiron balustrading enriched with honeysuckle ornament;
below the lantern lights is a band of richly moulded plasterwork with cornucopiae and foliage (Plate 122). On the ground
floor the middle of the S.W. front is occupied by the drawing-room, extending into the curved bay where the windows have
panelled pilastered jambs with enriched imposts. A plaster
border to the ceiling and the jambs of the marble fireplace are
both enriched with a flowing leaf pattern. The rest of the
house is more simply fitted, without decoration.
The grounds are separated from the road by iron railings set
between stone piers carved with honeysuckle ornament
(Plate 106). The railings were made by John Walker of
Walmgate for John Clough.
(50) Houses, Nos. 67, 69, 71, 73, two pairs forming a
three-storey terrace, were built in the first half of the
19th century. No. 71 retains the original reeded door-case to the entrance and a shallow bow window on the
ground floor; the others have been converted to shops.
All have shallow segmental bows to the first floor.
Each house has one front room and one back room to
each floor; in Nos. 67, 69 the staircases are placed
transversely between the rooms.
(51) Houses, Nos. 75, 77, have the date 1770 on a
rainwater head (Plate 106), and there is no reason to
doubt that this is the date of construction. Both houses
had wings added to the rear in the 19th century; they
have been much altered in conversion to shops in the
The S.W. front to Bootham is in five bays with continuous
bands joining the sills of ground and first-floor windows and
a timber cornice at the eaves. The doorways are set centrally,
side by side. In No. 75 the entrance passage widens out at the
back to accommodate the staircase which retains the original
turned newels and balusters.
(52) Houses, Nos. 8, 10, were built probably as one
dwelling in the mid 18th century. The building is of two
storeys with a plat-band at first-floor level; the ground
floor has been converted to shops.
(53) House, No. 34, was built in the early 19th
century. It was of three storeys with a tiled roof.
(54) Houses, Nos. 40, 42, are of three storeys; No.
40, built in the early 19th century, retains an original
doorway with attached fluted shafts and patterned
frieze but No. 42, of the mid 19th century, has been
(55) House, No. 52, of three storeys, was built in the
early 19th century. In the middle of the century the
front was altered: the wall was heightened some 3 ft.;
a new entrance doorway was made with small windows
to each side; some of the upper windows were altered;
and a small three-storey wing was added at the back.
Later some further extensions were made at the back.
The front is faced with red brick and is three bays wide, with
hung-sash windows under flat brick arches. The back is in
common brick. The interior has a dining-room at the front,
occupying two bays, and an entrance hall occupying the third
bay which seems originally to have contained a separate little
room now opened out into the hall. Behind, the central staircase was rebuilt c. 1850 and is placed between the kitchen to the
N.W. and the study which runs into a later addition. On the
first floor a saloon at the front occupies two bays and communicates through a wide opening with a smaller room in the
third bay. Few of the original fittings survive.
(56) House, No. 54, is a substantial three-storey
house of c. 1840 (Plate 89).
The symmetrical five-bay front, built in white brick, has the
central bay and pilaster strips at each end projecting forward;
brackets under the eaves cornice are set against a white plaster
frieze which is matched by a deep white band under the
second-floor windows. The front door is protected by an open
porch and the window above is emphasised by a bold plaster
surround. The back is built in red brick and has a central
projection which on the upper floors contains alcoves leading
off the half-landings of the staircase and giving access to water-closets also in the projection. The plan, apart from the projection at the back, is square with the common arrangement of
four rooms disposed two on each side of a central hall. This
central hall has the entrance hall divided from the stair-hall by
Corinthian pilasters carrying an enriched entablature, the
doorways to principal rooms have enriched architraves and
overdoors and the alcove off the half-landing is reached between fluted columns with foliated capitals, but the detail of
these decorative features is all coarsely designed.
(57) Bootham Lodge, No. 56, now offices, was
built by Thomas Walker, solicitor, between 1840 and
1845 (Deeds) (Plate 90). A kitchen wing at the back
appears to be a very early addition, built to replace an
original kitchen in the basement. The design is developed
from the usual square house with central hallway by
addition of side wings; that to the N.W. accommodates
the main staircase and additional rooms, one of the front
rooms in the main block being opened to the entrance
to make a spacious hall leading to the main staircase; the
S.E. wing consists only of one first-floor room over a
The house is of two storeys with walls of pale-coloured
brick. On the street front the windows are emphasised by
painted surrounds, those on the ground floor and the central
window above having side pilasters with entablature above.
The central porch has Greek Doric columns and forms a
balcony to the window above with smaller balconies formed
on the cornices of the flanking windows, all with cast-iron
Inside, the entrance passage opens to the hall between Doric
columns. The main staircase is beyond the hall; the secondary
staircase opens off the entrance passage. Both the staircases
have cast-iron balustrades with mahogany handrails (Plates
130, 131). The principal room on the ground floor, at the back,
has a richly decorated ceiling cornice (Plate 122) and over the
moulded architraves to the doors are overdoors decorated with
urns and festoons in low relief by Wolstenholme (Plate 112).
On the first floor a large saloon occupies the front of the house,
originally with a fireplace at each end and two doorways
symmetrically disposed. One fireplace has been removed and
the position of one doorway has been altered. Both the fire-place and overdoors are decorated with figure subjects
(Plates 113, 115) and the enrichment is in composition by
Wolstenholme. The ceiling cornice is decorated with flowers