CLIFTON (Monuments 66–98)
Until the early 19th century Clifton was a rural village
largely dependent on dairy farming. A new era was
introduced in 1836 when Earl de Grey offered the
greater part of the village for sale. Papers relating to this
sale among Clifton Manor papers in The Guildhall,
York, together with a large amount of other documentary evidence, provide information as to owners
and occupants of houses (see Barbara Hutton, Clifton
and its People (YPS 1969)). Unless otherwise described
the monuments in this area are of two storeys.
Burton Stone Lane
(66) Houses, Nos. 19–37 (odd), were built on land
bought by William Bellerby, joiner, at the 1836 sale
of the de Grey estate, almost certainly by Bellerby
The houses form a terrace, apparently of one build but with
slight variations in size and detail. There is a carriageway
between Nos. 27 and 31 which gives access to the rear, where
William Bellerby had his yard, and to No. 29.
The road forms the continuation of Bootham north-westward, leading to the village of Clifton and
continuing as the main road to Thirsk. See also p. 94.
(67) Nos. 2, 4, a pair of large three-bay town houses
of three storeys and attics, were built soon after 1825
on land known as Bootham Garth or Coates' Closes,
purchased by the Acaster Malbis Charity Trust
from Christopher Coates in 1658. In 1825 the site passed
to Thomas Bell, bricklayer, and William Bellerby,
joiner, on a 99-year lease, one of the conditions of which
was that they should erect buildings of at least three
storeys and to a cost of £2,000 within 17 years (documents in possession of owner). No. 2 retains its original
central door-case with slender three-quarter round fluted
columns (Plate 109).
(68) House, No. 8, was built between 1782 and 1784
for Joseph Goodlad of Harrogate, innholder, (Deeds)
and has a wing at the back added c. 1830. (Fig. 63.)
The house, of three storeys, is four bays wide (Plate 89) and
has a stone band and continuous stone sills in the idiom used
by John Carr; at the eaves is a dentilled timber cornice. The
back wing has large hung-sash windows set in a segmental bay
and provides an additional spacious living-room. Inside, the
staircase retains the original turned balusters and the front
rooms have the original enriched and decorated surrounds to
the fireplaces (Plate 114).
(69) The White House, No. 10, was built in the
18th century, possibly before 1731, when William
Roberts of York, mercer, bought the property which
then included the site of No. 8 (YCA, E93, f. 63; Deeds
of No. 8). It was originally only two storeys high but
later in the 18th century it was heightened to give a
symmetrical three-storey front of five bays (Plate 91).
From 1828 to c. 1853 it was the home of the Rev. D. R.
Currer, a cleric without clerical office but an influential
magistrate (Hutton, 20), and in his time the house was
extended to each side, the additions being of two storeys
only but equal in height to the original building, and
the whole front was stuccoed and given a new eaves
cornice; a two-storey bay window to the upper floors
is a later addition. When the wings were added, the
house was also extended at the back, the original eaves
cornice remaining above the additions. In modern
times the house has been converted to offices with
extensive wings added at the back.
The front elevation has a good timber Doric door-case.
Inside, the curved staircase, contemporary with the heightening in the later 18th century, has stone treads and plain iron
balusters. Some of the fireplaces retain the original Adamesque
surrounds. A large first-floor room in the N.W. addition
(now divided) has an elaborate foliated cornice.
Fig. 62. (69) The White House, No. 10 Clifton.
(70) Houses, Nos. 14, 16, were built probably c. 1800
and form a symmetrical pair with a wide pedimental
gable over the front (Plate 91) in a style favoured by the
architect Thomas Atkinson (d. 1798). For a time during
the 1840s No. 14 was occupied by David Russell,
solicitor, son of David Russell of Clifton Grove, and
No. 16 by his friend William Whytehead, a solicitor
active in local government as a Commissioner under the
Act of 1825 (VCH, York, 264–5).
The house is of three storeys and the front has stone bands at
the first floor and at first-floor sill level. The entrance doorways have timber Doric doorcases with open pediments.
Inside No. 14, the staircase has slender turned balusters and
two fireplaces have surrounds decorated in the Wolstenholme
manner. In No. 16 the staircase has 19th-century cast-iron
Fig. 63. (68) No. 8 Clifton.
(71) House, No. 18, was built shortly after the sale
of the de Grey estate in 1836 on a site purchased by Mr.
Henry Elsworth. It is detached and double-fronted and
executed in white brick. Both front and rear elevations
were originally symmetrical. An original door-case of the
Tuscan order remains at the rear.
(72) Terrace, Nos. 26–32, of three storeys with
semi-basements and attics, was built on a plot bought by
William Bellerby, joiner, at the sale of the de Grey
estate in 1836. The houses are probably those referred to
in Bowman, 11–12, in connection with the finding of a
Samian bowl in 1841 'when excavations were made for
some houses on a piece of land called Chapel Close
opposite the Proprietary School at Clifton'. They were
called Burton Place in 1850 (OS).
Each house is of three bays with a doorway at the N.W. end.
The windows have stone lintels with simulated voussoirs and
key blocks. The terrace has a heavy moulded cornice.
(73) House, No. 36, was built probably in the second
quarter of the 18th century as a small three-storey town
house with front and back rooms on one side only of
the entrance passage. Late in the 18th century or early
in the 19th the house was widened by two bays to give
a double-fronted house with rooms on both sides of the
The street front has projecting bands dividing the storeys and
continuous stone sill-bands to the two lower storeys. The
front door is deeply recessed within a semicircular-headed
opening. The interior has been converted to form flats and a
new staircase built in a new position. Few of the original
(74) No. 40, is a three-bay town house of three
storeys and attics, built in the early 19th century.
The principal feature of the house is the front elevation to
Clifton which has a stone plinth, continuous sill band to the
first-floor windows and round-arched heads of fine red gauged
brick to the ground-floor windows and the doorway. The
first and second-floor windows have flat arches of gauged red
brick (Plate 90). It has a conventional plan, two rooms deep,
with the staircase at the rear opposite the front entrance. The
saloon is on the first floor occupying the whole width of the
frontage. The interior has good Regency fittings.
(75) Clifton View, Nos. 42, 44, dates from the
second half of the 18th century but incorporates an
earlier chimney which may have formed part of a
cottage on the site first mentioned in 1696 (Deeds); it
was first insured with the Sun Insurance Company in
1786, the owner then being Mrs. Dorothy Elston and
the occupier Mr. Ellis. The house was built on a wide
frontage giving an elevation of five bays, the position
of the early chimney being reflected in the unequal
spacing of the windows (Plate 90); on plan the house is
only one room deep and the entrance passage leads to a
staircase projecting at the rear. In the middle of the 19th
century the house was divided into two and a second
entrance doorway made between the two S.E. windows.
At the same time a new timber cornice was made at the
The house, of three storeys, is divided at the front into three
stages by projecting brick bands. The front entrance has a
timber surround with an open pediment over a semicircular
fanlight, and the windows are set under segmental arches of
common brick including blue headers. Inside, the staircase has
slender turned balusters; two late 18th-century fireplace
surrounds survive on the upper floors, and a number of iron
firegrates, one marked Carron.
(76) House, Nos. 64, 66, (Plate 85) of two storeys and
attics with brick walls and tiled roof, was built in the
late 17th century incorporating parts of an earlier
timber-framed structure, probably of the 16th century.
The house was modernised and partly rebuilt in 1962.
Fig. 64. (76) Nos. 64, 66 Clifton.
The S.W. elevation comprises two main bays and a projection for a porch on the N.W. side. The ground floor is of plain
brickwork; the upper floors are fully rusticated and rise to
curved gables surmounted by finials. Brick string-courses at
the floor levels are cemented over. The entrance has a four-centred head, and jambs and head are cement-rendered to
simulate stone dressings. Under the main gables two-storey
bay windows are carried on moulded brick corbelling; the
mullions were all originally of brick, probably plastered, but
one window has been replaced in timber and the others are
rendered in modern cement. The S.E. wall has been rebuilt.
The back is mostly of 17th-century brickwork with modern
window openings; the back gables are plain and rebuilt in
modern brick. On the N.W. are modern additions. Inside,
the exposed beams and ceiling joists, indicated by broken lines
on the plan, are mostly of 16th-century date and on the first
floor is a timber post with a big curved brace rising to a tie-beam, also part of the earlier structure. Its position indicates
that the original N.E. elevation was jettied. The entrance door,
of pinewood, which has been moved from its original position,
is of 17th-century style and panelled to form a geometrical
pattern. The central chimney has 17th-century brick fireplaces
with arched heads. One of the rooms has an 18th-century fitted
corner cupboard with scrolled brackets under the shelves.
(77) Houses, Nos. 74, 76, are a three-storey pair
built in the early 19th century. No. 76 has a pantiled
(78) Shop, No. 88, is a small building of one storey
and attic which was built probably in the 17th century
as a single-storey timber-framed structure of two
unequal bays. It may originally have been for farm use
rather than domestic, but had been converted into two
cottages before it became a shop. In the sale map of
de Grey property in Clifton (1836) it appears as the
property of Oswald Barker. The walls have been rebuilt in brick leaving only some of the main posts, from
which braces rose to tie-beams and wall-plates. The
present roof, with queen-struts carrying side purlins,
appears not to be original.
(79) Barker's Terrace, Nos. 96–106 (even), was built
after the sale of the De Grey estate on a site bought by
Oswald Barker, who in 1843 was living in one of the
houses (Directory). The houses form a range of six
small and plain tenements with simple plans. Nos. 104
and 106 were built slightly later than Nos. 96–102.
(80) Bootham Grange was built as a pair of large
semi-detached houses in the second quarter of the 19th
century and converted to flats in the 20th.
The street front is six bays wide and three storeys high and
terminated by giant brick pilasters with Corinthian capitals.
The window sills are joined to form continuous bands across
the upper storeys. The two doorways, one now converted to a
window, have semicircular fanlights set within continuous
moulded architraves without imposts. Inside, only one of the
original staircases remains; it occupies a large open well, toplit by a large glazed lantern, and has stone steps with elaborate
cast-iron balustrades in which decorative roundels alternate
with standards entwined with vines (Plate 131).
(81) St. Catherine's, No. 11, is a detached house of
c. 1840 built in white brick. It has a front of four bays
giving good-sized rooms with two windows to one
side of the entrance and small rooms with one window
to the other. Beyond these last is a single-storey bay
containing domestic offices. Bay windows and closets
have been added at the back. The front elevation is
simple, with a pedimented porch and hung-sash
windows. Inside, the main staircase has undulating iron
balusters of plain square section. The secondary staircase
is all of wood. At the front of the house are simple iron
railings by Walker of Walmgate.
(82) Burton Cottage, No. 27, is a villa of c. 1830–
1840, of two storeys, built of white brick (Plate 100).
The house is very compactly arranged with the staircase
in the front entrance hall between the original kitchen
and a small study; the principal rooms are at the back
facing S.W. and looking onto the garden. At the front
the arched entrance is set in a slight projection under a
pediment. At the back the lower windows have small
side lights flanking the main lights and on the upper floor
the same proportions are maintained by sliding shutters
flanking the windows, under fretted pelmets. Inside,
the staircase has slender turned balusters; the ceilings of
the principal rooms have elaborate foliated centre-pieces (Plate 121), one having cast-iron foliage concealing ventilation ducts.
(82) Burton Cottage,
No. 27 Clifton.
(83) House, No. 29, was built in the second quarter
of the 19th century. It is of two storeys and built of
white brick. The front entrance is set between projecting
bay windows rising through both storeys and finished
(84) House, now St. Olave's School, was built for
David Russell, solicitor, between 1813 and 1818
(Hargrove, 1, 288; YC, 5 April 1813), forming a substantial residence standing in its own grounds. It is of
two storeys with stuccoed walls and slated roof and
comprises a main block, almost square, and a lower
wing for domestic offices to the N. The main front is
symmetrical with a central porch; the roof is low-pitched with a deep projection of the eaves. Many of the
original interior fittings have been removed, but the
original staircase with slender turned mahogany
(85) Houses, Nos. 51–57 (odd), were constructed
after the sale of the de Grey estate in 1836 in c. 1840.
No. 51 retains a door-case with reeded pilaster jambs and a
shallow bow window with two-panelled shutters. Nos. 53–57
have been converted into shops.
(86) The Old Grey Mare, p.h., was built in the late
17th century. It is said to stand on the site of the Maypole
Inn which was burnt down in 1648; in 1820 it was
known as the Grey Horse. A gabled cross-wing to the
N. was added in the late 19th century. The building is
of two storeys with walls of colour-washed brickwork;
it has been very much altered and a hood to the front
door, of late 17th-century character, was added by
W. G. Penty in the late 19th century (Builders' Journal
and Architectural Record, 7 Nov. 1900).
(87) Nos. 9, 10, 11, are a range of three cottages
which were built c. 1835. No. 11 has a symmetrical
(88) Nos. 14, 15, were built c. 1840 as a symmetrical
double-fronted house (No. 14) with an outbuilding at
the W. end. This last was later converted into a small
house to form No. 15. The window arches are segmental and the roof tiled. Demolished.
(89) No. 16 is a gardener's cottage in the Gothic style
(Plate 101), built after 1836 for the Roper family, owners
of Clifton Croft (see (98), p. 69). Roper arms are carved
on the W. wall. The weather-vane has on it the initials
JR for John Roper who owned the property with his
brother Edmund from 1826 until his death in 1875.
(90) Houses, Nos. 22, 23, (Plate 101) were built on a
site bought by Seth Agar, grocer, at the sale of the De
Grey estate in 1836, by George and Eli Horsfall, joiners,
and completed in 1839 when the roof truss of one was
The houses are a pair of detached dwellings of one storey
with dormered attics, built in a Gothic cottage style in stuccorendered brick. The doorways have four-centred arches and
doors with four trefoil-headed lights to the upper parts. No. 23
retains its original fenestration at the front but two bay
windows have been added to No. 22.
Water End leads from Clifton Green down to the river
where, until 1960, there was a ferry.
(91) Nos. 2, 4, 6, Ellison Terrace, are a symmetrical
terrace of two single-fronted houses flanking a double-fronted three-bay house, two of which were standing
by 1819 (Deeds). The doorways have slender reeded
pilasters and reeded entablatures; the doors have six
fielded panels and semicircular fanlights above. The
windows to the ground floor have louvred shutters and
those to the first floor slightly segmental arches of
gauged brick. (Plate 102.)
(92) No. 8 (Plate 102) was built, probably as a small
farmhouse, in the late 17th century. It is of two storeys
and L-shaped on plan with tumbled brickwork to the
gable at the back. In the second half of the 18th century
cottages were built adjoining on the W. and No. 8 was
refronted to give a uniform elevation to the whole
range. In the 19th century the back wing was made into
a separate tenement and the interior was much altered.
The original staircase, with heavy bulbous balusters
(Plate 124), remains but it has been moved from its
original position. Modern alterations include the
construction of a fireplace opening of thin 15th-century
bricks from the filling of the timber-framing of the Fox
Inn, formerly in Petergate, the introduction of a late
18th-century fire-surround from No. 64 North Street
(York III, 107), and a late 18th-century grate (Plate 132).
(93) Cottages, Nos. 10, 12, were built in the second
half of the 18th century and may originally have formed
a single dwelling (Plate 102).
(94) Green Tree Cottage, No. 28, now a private
house, was built in the early 19th century. It was called
the Green Tree in 1830 and kept by George Holgate
and in 1836 the Sycamore Inn, kept by Alice Holgate
(Directories; sale map of de Grey Estate). In 1850 it
appears as the Sycamore Cottage p.h. (OS).
The house is detached and has symmetrical, stucco-rendered
front elevation with two gables. The front entrance is in
(95) Haverford, formerly Cliff House, was built as
the residence of William Catton, woollen draper of
High Ousegate, in c. 1842. The house stands in its own
grounds and follows the general pattern of St. Olave's
School (84) and Clifton Croft (98): all three have a
square main block containing the principal rooms and a
lower wing containing the domestic offices and servants' rooms, but Haverford is architecturally rather
more ambitious, having stone dressings to the white
brickwork and an elaborate stone porch with three
arched openings between Tuscan pilasters; the wide
eaves are supported by paired brackets. The side and
back elevations have bay windows. The roof is low-pitched, hipped, and slated. The plan shows four rooms
in the main block, flanking a central hallway, with the
main staircase to the rear and a secondary staircase to
(96) Nos. 39, 41, 43, are a range of three houses built
in c. 1849, possibly to house the domestic staff of
Government House (post 1850). All three have windows
with slightly arched heads of gauged brick. No. 43 is
more elaborate than the other two and has a heavy
door-case and a large single-storey stucco-dressed bay
window to the ground floor and continuous sill band
in stucco to the first-floor windows. Demolished.
(97) St. Hilda's Garth, formerly Clifton Holme,
at the end of Ousecliffe Gardens, was the house of a
solicitor, Joseph Munby, for whom it was built in 1848
(Hutton, 24; Directory; OS).
It is a large two-storey house in white brick with stone
dressings (Plate 98). The main block is rectangular with a porch
of three bays in the front and a segmental bay projecting at the
back; a lower servants' wing projects to N.E. The porch with
three stilted segmental arches carried on Tuscan columns is the
first real departure from the Georgian tradition in this area, and
is stylistically more closely allied to the buildings of the third
quarter of the century than to its predecessors.
(98) Clifton Croft, a substantial house standing in
its own grounds and facing Greencliffe Drive, was
built c. 1830 for John Roper, wine merchant; it is of two
storeys and comprises a square main block in white
brick, and a lower wing partly in red brick; the roofs
are covered with Westmorland slates. The main front,
to N.E., is symmetrical with an open Tuscan porch in