Marygate (Monuments 241–255)
Only one house remains on this side of the road, all
others having been cleared away to expose the precinct
wall of St. Mary's Abbey.
(241) House, No. 29, of three storeys, basement and
attic, was built in the late 18th century (Plate 95). It
stands on a confined site against the wall of St. Mary's
Abbey and the back wall, to S.E., probably incorporates
parts of the abbey wall and another building of uncertain
The entrance doorway (Plate 108) has a timber surround with
simple panelled pilasters and console brackets flanking the fanlight and rising to an open pediment over composition
garlands in low relief; the pediment being raised clear above
the fanlight gives exaggerated height to the design. On the
upper floors the front windows to S.W. have been blocked,
the S.W. rooms being lit by bay windows in the gable end;
above the bays is a semicircular window to the attic.
Fig. 74. (241) No. 29 Marygate.
Many original fittings survive: the staircase has a close string
and turned balusters; a fireplace on the first floor has decoration
by Thomas Wolstenholme (Plate 115). A grate on the second
floor is decorated with figures (Plate 132). On the ground floor
at the S.W. end a cupboard has been formed in the doorway
of the 14th-century abbey building adjoining.
(242) House, No. 20, built c. 1800, has a narrow
frontage. It is of two storeys and the roof is covered with
(243) House, No. 22, of two storeys, was possibly
built before 1850 but has been much altered. It has a
(244) House, No. 28, of two storeys with brick walls
and pantiled roof, was built in the late 17th century.
The plan is L-shaped giving two front rooms on each
floor and a back wing containing the chimney with the
staircase beside it, and a third room beyond. The
entrance, in a modern addition in the re-entrant angle,
is now reached by a carriageway opened through one
of the ground-floor rooms.
(245) House, No. 30, built in the first half of the 19th
century, is of three storeys and attic. It has a bay
window of the mid 19th century to the first floor;
other windows have segmental arches. Inside, the fittings
include a number of cast-iron grates of the early 19th
century, some brought from elsewhere and some original
to the house (Plate 132).
(246) Houses, Nos. 32, 34, comprise a four-storey L-shaped building of c. 1800 and a two-storey addition
of the first half of the 19th century in the re-entrant
angle. It is not clear whether the original building
formed one house or two. The entrance doorway to
No. 34 is flanked by engaged reeded shafts carrying
scroll brackets which support an open pediment over
the fanlight. The entrance to No. 32 has a simpler
door-case with a flat head. The internal fittings are
simple; some of the fireplaces retain original iron grates,
one signed Carron.
(247) Houses, Nos. 36, 38, built in the early 19th
century, are a three-storey pair designed to present a
unified three-bay façade to the street. The doorways are
grouped in the centre on either side of a third door giving access to the rear and under the central blind
windows of the first and second floors. The window
openings have low segmental arches. The roof is
(248) Nos. 40, 42, comprise a small house of c. 1760
with an early 19th-century extension at the S. end and
a substantial back wing of the same date. The original
house, of two storeys with cellar and attic, had a symmetrical front and contained, on plan, one room on
each side of the entrance hall.
(249) St. Olave's House, No. 48, was built in the
late 17th century on a U-shaped plan with unequal
wings projecting N.W. In the late 18th century a
building was erected behind the shorter wing, separate
from the house and apparently not for domestic use, but
in the early 19th century it was joined to the house and a
chimney and bay windows were added to give one large
room on each of two floors. At the same time the space
between the original wings was filled in. The street front
was rebuilt c. 1900.
The house is of two storeys with attics. Most of the original
brick walls are concealed but at the back of the N. wing is an
original gable with tumbled brick coping and a projecting band
at eaves level. The interior fittings are mostly of the late 18th
and early 19th centuries. The staircase to the first floor is of
the early 19th century; the slender balusters are of square
section with beaded angles and hollowed sides. Leading up to
the attic is a reset staircase of the late 17th century which is
probably the original staircase to the first floor; it has a close
string and bulbous turned balusters.
Fig. 75. (249) St. Olave's House, No. 48 Marygate.
Summerhouse, N.W. of the house, is an octagonal structure
of two storeys built in the second quarter of the 19th century.
The walls are of ashlar and rubble masonry. The ground floor
provides a garden store entered by an arched doorway. The
upper floor has three walls fully glazed with marginal panes
to each window.
(250) House, No. 50, was built c. 1700; it is of three
storeys with a pantiled roof. On plan it comprised two
front rooms with an entrance passage between them and
a small kitchen, staircase and store-room behind. The
front wall was completely rebuilt c. 1905 with added
bay windows, and at the back the kitchen has been
enlarged. The staircase has original balusters cut out of
flat planks to an undulating profile between a close
string and a plain handrail. Some original three-panel
doors remain on the first floor.
(251) House, Nos. 56, 58, of two storeys and now
two tenements, was built c. 1700 on an L-shaped plan
and enlarged soon after to give a U-shaped plan. The
elevations have been drastically modernised. In No. 58
is a mid 18th-century staircase with alternately turned
and twisted balusters.
(252) House, No. 60, formerly the Grey Coat School,
was opened as a charity school for girls in 1705. Partial
reconstruction and extensive refenestration were carried
out at the end of the 19th century and later. Many of the
large rooms in the house have been sub-divided in
conversion to flats and the N.W. end now forms part
of Little Garth (see (254) and (27)).
The building is of three storeys L-shaped on plan, with
frontages to Marygate and Marygate Lane (Plate 95). The
storeys are marked by projecting brick bands; some original
windows remain on the front to Marygate Lane with three-centred arches over two and three casements. Reset over a
doorway to Marygate is a fragment of a 17th-century carved
bargeboard said to have come from a house in High Ousegate
(253) St. Mary's Cottage, No. 62, is a small dwelling of the second half of the 18th century, facing S.W.
In the N.W. gable is an eroded datestone, inscribed 1767
or 1787. The house is of two storeys and on plan originally comprised two rooms flanking a central
entrance passage and a staircase behind the N.W. room.
The house was refitted in the early 19th century and has
absorbed a small part of No. 60 to which it is attached.
(254) Almery Garth is a substantial house of c. 1745,
standing on part of the garden ground formerly
belonging to the Almonry of St. Mary's Abbey, from
which it takes its name. A service wing to the S.E.,
together with some rooms of the adjoining No. 60
Marygate (252), now forms a separate residence known
as Little Garth. The building is of three storeys; the
walls are of pale brick with red brick dressings and the
roofs are tiled. On plan it comprises a long straight
range only one room thick, facing S.W. towards the
river. The original S.W. elevation of the main block
was of five bays with a pilaster at each end and with the
central bay projecting slightly and stone bands separating the storeys; the windows had gauged flat arches
with key stones. Early in the 19th century the ground
floor was enlarged by the addition of a boldly projecting
segmental bay and the extension of the hall, a second
storey being added to these additions later in the same
century. The arrangement of windows in the N.W.
bays was also changed and what must have been an
imposing symmetrical Georgian front has lost much of
its original character.
The front of the service wing, Little Garth, now partly
masked by additions, has projecting plat-bands and segmental
arches over the windows. The elevation to Marygate Lane is
very plain, with 19th-century surrounds to the doorways. The
interior fittings are mostly of the early 19th century, including
the lower part of the main staircase with open string and
turned balusters (Plate 127), but the upper part of the staircase
is of c. 1745 and has a close string and turned balusters.
Fig. 76. (254) Almery Garth, Marygate Lane, Marygate.
(255) Cottages, range of four, 60 yds. W. of St.
Olave's church, includes a small building, not originally
domestic, which is probably of early 18th-century date
though it does not appear on any map earlier than
White's of 1785. The building has been divided into
two to form tenements Nos. 1 and 2. Nos. 3 and 4 were
built later in the same century and the whole range has
The building is of two storeys with brick walls and tiled roof
with stone slates at the eaves. The upper floor of Nos. 1 and 2
is carried on slightly chamfered oak beams and oak joists; the
rafters are supported by purlins which overlap at the principal
rafters to which they are fixed by tusk-tenons. Demolished.