Parish Church of Holy Trinity Goodramgate
(2) Parish Church of Holy Trinity, Goodramgate
(Plates 9, 16; Fig. 14), stands to the N.W. of Goodramgate, aligned N.E.-S.W., and screened from the road
by the tenements built in the churchyard in 1316 and
known as Lady Row (see Monument (222)). The fabric
consists of Chancel and Nave, each of two bays, West
Tower, North Aisle, South-East Chapel and South Aisle,
the aisles extending westward to enclose the tower
within a rectangular plan from which a South Chapel,
Porch and North Vestry project. The walling is mostly
of coursed squared limestone rubble with considerable
repair in brick; the vestry is of brick.
The church is first mentioned in charters, possibly
forged, of 1082 and 1093, and in a document certainly of
c. 1125 (VCH, York, 372). A fragment of corbel-table
confirms the existence of the church in the early 12th
century; there is further evidence of this dating in some
reused stonework and a carved fragment incorporated
in the S. wall of the S.E. chapel. It probably consisted of
a single cell coterminous with the present nave. Later in
the 12th century the Chancel was added, part of the N.
wall and a S.E. buttress of which survive.
In the 13th century a South-East Chapel was built
against the S. side of the chancel with an arched opening
from the chancel into its eastern part. Chantries were
founded in 1316 (CPR, 1313–17, 476) and 1323 (CPR,
1321–24, 347), and both were probably located in this
chapel. A South Aisle was added c. 1340, continuing the
line of the S.E. chapel. At the same time the S.E. chapel
was refenestrated, its S. windows matching the windows
of the new S. aisle, and an archway was opened from
the chancel into its W. bay. There is a bequest in a will
of 1393 for lengthening the chancel, but this cannot
have been carried out (Wills, 1, f. 55v). Early in the 15th
century the Chapel of St. James, or Howme chapel, was
built, probably from funds left by Robert de Howme,
who died in 1396. His foundation of a chantry in the
church goes back to 1361, but there is no reference to a
chapel before the will of his son Robert de Howme in
1433. The chapel was built S. of the S. aisle, and entered
from the aisle by a wide archway; the two windows
displaced from the S. aisle were reset in the S. wall of
the new chapel. Its E. window has been considerably
remodelled. Further works were also carried out in the
first half of the 15th century: the Tower and North Aisle
were added, the S. aisle was extended one bay westward
and the chancel arch removed. The two eastern arches
of the N. arcade were probably opened out in the
existing 12th-century chancel wall, but the N. wall of
the early 12th-century nave was entirely removed
except for a fragment of corbel-table at the W. end.
The two arches to the nave are of unequal size to match
those of the 14th-century S. arcade. The W. bay of the
N. aisle may have been separated by an arch across the
aisle, and was apparently roofed on a N.–S. axis. The
weathering for this roof remains in the N. face of the
tower, and the form of this cross-roof is preserved in the
ceiling of the aisle. The new W. bay of the S. aisle was
roofed in the same manner. The E. window of the
chancel was replaced and reglazed in 1471 at the expense
of the rector, John Walker. In 1633 the floor level of
most of the church was raised, and in 1670 and 1703
large quantities of bricks were purchased, probably for
repairs and reconstruction in the upper parts of the walls
(Churchwardens' Accounts, 1559–1708, Borthwick
Inst., y/htg 12). In 1792 the internal Vestry was abolished,
and an external brick vestry built on the N. side. A
major restoration was carried out in 1823 when the
external walls of the N. aisle were rebuilt with new
windows and the vestry was enlarged. The South Porch
was rebuilt in 1849. The church was restored in 1973–4.
The church is of interest for the evidence it retains of
a complicated, piecemeal development, but it is chiefly
remarkable as the best surviving example, little altered,
of pre-Tractarian arrangements to provide an auditory
setting for Anglican worship with three liturgical centres
contrived within a mediaeval church. It has suffered
badly from decay but has been restored without loss of
character. Among the fittings, the mediaeval glass and
the surviving woodwork of the 18th-century ordering
or reordering are of particular interest.
Architectural Description. The Chancel has the E. wall of
irregular coursed rubble, patched with brick and entirely
refaced in brick in the upper part of the gable. To S. are the
remains of a gritstone pilaster buttress of the late 12th century
and to N. a two-stage buttress probably of 1471. The E.
window, of the latter date, has five cinque-foiled lights under
a low four-centred arch; the sill of the window was raised,
perhaps in the late 17th century, and the lowest row of panels
blocked. The N. wall is of the late 12th century, pierced by a
15th-century arcade continuous with that of the nave; the
two-centred arches are of two chamfered orders with broach
stops to the outer orders, carried by octagonal piers with
moulded capitals and bases; the bases are exposed below the
present floor level. The S. side of the chancel has to the E. a
moulded arch with filleted rolls of the second quarter of the
13th century. It is supported at the E. end by a respond with
later moulded capital and at the W. by a 15th-century octagonal
pier with a capital made from a 13th-century respond capital
and retaining mutilated remains of stiff-leaf foliage on two
faces. Above the capital a large springer has the mouldings of
the 13th-century arch on the E. side, and the W. side has been
recut with 14th-century chamfers for the W. arch. This last
was built as a two-centred arch but the W. side is very distorted, having perhaps been rebuilt in the 15th century and
modified in connection with a rood-loft. At the S.W. corner
of the chancel a break in the masonry and a projecting chamfered springer indicate where a chancel arch has been removed.
The South-East Chapel, of 13th-century origin, has two-stage
buttresses, added in the 14th century and completely renewed
in 1973–74. The E. wall has a blocked 14th-century window-opening with two-centred head; in it is a smaller 19th-century
window with two cinque-foiled lights under a flat head. Below
the 14th-century window-sill are the remains of a blocked
doorway of the same date. The S. windows are each of three
lights with trefoiled heads and reticulated tracery under a
moulded flat head. Heads and jambs were repaired 1973–74.
This chapel is the only part of the church to have the floor,
which was uncovered in 1905, at its original level.
The Nave has a N. arcade continuous with that of the chancel,
and with a W. respond forming part of the N.E. pier of the
tower. Three corbels of the original corbel-table at the head
of the N. wall are preserved in the N.E. pier of the tower.
Over the arcade the walling is of brick, presumably of 1670 or
1703. The two-bay S. arcade has arches of unequal size with
two chamfered orders supported at the E. end by a pier of
irregular shape, reflecting a change of wall thickness at this
point. Between the two bays is an octagonal pier; the inner
orders of the arches are continuous with the faces of the pier,
the outer orders are carried on simple corbels. The original W.
respond has been replaced by the S.E. pier of the tower, and
between the chamfers where they die into the pier are two
The North Aisle has an E. wall of stone rubble and ashlar,
largely faced with brick internally. The E. window has two
cinque-foiled lights under a flat head. The N. wall, of coursed
rubble, has four windows each of three trefoiled lights under a
flat head. That to E. is partly blocked to accommodate the roof
of the vestry. At the W. end, adjacent to the tower, is a fragment of the original wall with part of a window jamb. The
Vestry is a simple brick structure roofed with Welsh slates.
Fig. 14. (2) Church of Holy Trinity, Goodramgate.
The South Aisle is open to the S.E. chapel. On the S. side a
wide four-centred arch, opening to the chapel of St. James, is
of two chamfered orders with suspended shields carved on the
springers (Plate 29); the E. shield is carved with in chief a Latin
cross between the letters R R, in base the letter O, and the W.
shield with the arms of Howme. At the back of the W. shield,
within the arch-moulding, is carved a crouching animal.
Further W., the S. doorway has a pointed arch recessed under
a flat lintel supported on corbels of uncertain date. The W.
wall, largely rebuilt in the 19th century, contains a window of
three trefoiled lights with reticulated tracery under a two-centred head. The Chapel of St. James has two-stage buttresses
each surmounted by a modern or restored gabled pinnacle, and
a moulded string-course below the parapet. The E. window
has three lights under a depressed four-centred arch; the central
light has a triangular head, the others four-centred heads. The
wall below the window internally has been cut back. In the
N.E. corner of the chapel is a rough rectangular squint. The
reset S. windows (Plate 24) are each of three trefoiled lights
with reticulated tracery under a flat head, but the detailing of
mouldings and tracery varies between the two windows.
The Tower is in three stages, separated by moulded stringcourses. The parapet is embattled and behind it is a modern
pitched roof with brick gables. Arches opening to the nave
and aisles are of three moulded and chamfered orders, intersecting at the springing, rising from piers and responds with
moulded capitals. The W. window has five cinquefoil-headed
lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head, casementmoulded externally. In the top stage are blocked openings,
each of two trefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head.
The Porch is built of ashlar and is entered by an archway with
two-centred head. Roofs: the junction of nave and chancel is
marked externally by a change in the height of the roofs;
internally, their ceilings, probably of the late 15th century, are
continuous and have moulded and slightly cambered tie-beams
and three longitudinal beams forming thirty-two compartments. The chapel of St. James has a ceiling of moulded beams
with two bosses enriched with shields and foliage, the E. shield
painted with the arms of England. It is probably of the late 15th
or early 16th century, restored in the late 19th century.
Fittings—Altar Stones: two and part of a third, all mediaeval
and with consecration crosses, (1) and (2) set in the floor in the
chancel and in the N. chancel aisle respectively and (3) raised
on a frame and used as an altar in the chapel of St. James.
Aumbries: in S.E. chapel, in S. wall, (1) small rectangular recess
with internal rebates, mediaeval. In chapel of St. James, in S.
wall, (2) pair of plain rectangular recesses, 15th-century.
Bells: four. In W. tower, (1) treble, inscribed '+REP[ENT]
LEAST Y∃ P[ERIS]H', possibly by Robert Quarnbie and
Henry Oldfield I, late 16th-century; (2) inscribed 'IESVS BE
OVR SPEED 1626', acquired at a cost of £10. 17s. (Churchwardens' Accounts), probably by William Oldfield, but
founder's name not recorded; (3) tenor, inscribed in black-letter
'+ Sanc ta ma ri a o ra pro nobis', below the cross, a corroded
plaque with the Virgin Mary, crowned and seated, carrying
the infant Jesus, early 16th-century. In vestry, (4) small plain
bell, possibly sanctus, date and provenance unknown. Bell-frame: of oak, with corner-posts with jowled heads and downward braces (Fig. 1b), late 15th-century with alterations.
Benefactors' Tables: in chapel of St. James, on S. wall, (1)
board with round-arched feature at head and three ball-finials,
probably a benefaction board but inscription no longer visible;
(2) simple rectangle with moulded frame, recording gift by
Mrs. Thornhill of £20 in 1743 for education of four poor girls.
In vestry, (3) and (4), one single and one double board in cream
with moulded frames and black and red lettering, recording
benefactions from 1662–1782.
Brasses and Indents. Brasses: in S.E. chapel, (1) in grey stone
slab raised above original floor level, plate (Plate 40) with
inscription in black-letter, 'Orate p(ro) a(n)i(m)abus Thome
Danby quondam maioris civitatis Ebor. qui obijt Tercio die
maij A° d(omi)ni m°cccc°lviij° Et matilde uxoris eius que
obijt iiij° die januarij A° d(omi)ni m°cccc°lxiij° quor(um)
a(n)i(m)abus p(ro)piciet(ur) de(us) Amen' (Thomas Danby
mayor 1452). In S. aisle, (2) set in slab with indents for earlier
brasses (see Indent (3)), rectangular plate, to Ellen Baker of
Blake Street, 1837. Indents: in chancel, (1) oblong with three
rivet holes, worn. In nave, at W. end, (2) for figure and
inscription plate. In S. aisle, at W. end, (3) for four shields and
inscription plate, worn in parts and with later Brass (2) inserted.
In tower, (4) for figure and inscription plate. Coffins and
Coffin Lids. Coffins (1) and (2) and coffin lids (2), (3) and (4), all
of stone, were described in 1906 as discovered in recent
excavations (R. Beilby Cook, The Old Church of Holy Trinity,
Goodramgate, York (1906), 18–19). Coffins: in S.E. chapel, (1)
and (2) tapered, shaped inside for the head. Coffin Lids: in N.
chancel aisle, (1) tapered, with incised calvary base but with
cross-head and shaft worn away and very faint inscription
beginning 'orat(e) p(ro) a(n)i(m)e (sic) Willi ......', 14th-century. In S.E. chapel, loose at E. end, (2) slab (Plate 40) with
incised floriated cross on calvary base, with symbols of fish and
cauldron on dexter and sinister sides of stem respectively,
13th-century; loose against S. wall, (3) broken slab retaining
upper part of incised figure, rather faint, head missing but
hands just visible; inscription around edge no longer legible,
mediaeval; (4) rectangular slab having worn inscription with
incised outline to the letters 'hic iacet iohannes youle quondam
civis et mercer ebor cuius anime p(ro)picietur deus amen';
below inscription an incised shield with merchant's mark.
John Youle, or Yhole, of (North)allerton, draper, was free in
1356, and asked in his will dated 14 December 1390 to be buried
in the church of St. Leonard under the stone placed there in his
lifetime. The stone had been brought to Holy Trinity by the
time of Torre's survey in 1691. In W. wall, (5) fragment with
incised stem of cross, 13th or 14th-century.
Communion Rails: of oak, with opening semicircular section
in middle, and turned balusters with square knops above squat
vase-shaped pieces (Plate 34). In 1715 John Headlam, carpenter,
was paid £9. 6s. for the rails and Jeremiah Myers, mason,
£3. 1s. 4d. probably for the shaped altar steps (Churchwardens' Accounts, 1712–1819, Borthwick Inst., y/htg 13).
Communion Table: of oak, provided in 1739 by James Smith,
carpenter, at a cost of £1. 6s. (Churchwardens' Accounts).
Consecration Crosses, see Altar Stones. Doors: (1) to Vestry, of
six fielded panels, probably of the date of the vestry, 1792; (2)
from Porch, of oak, with two-centred head, six panels on
exterior face and, on interior, hinges with fleur-de-lys terminations, 19th-century. Font: octagonal bowl on octagonal
waisted stem and plain octagonal base, early 18th-century.
Font-cover: of oak, octagonal board surmounted by three
circular stages with ball-finial, provided in 1787 (Churchwardens' Accounts).
Glass, of the first half of the 14th century and the second half
of the 15th century. That of the 14th century consists of
shields-of-arms, foliage and grotesques. When recorded by
Torre, it was in the window on the N. side of the 'steeple' and
in the N. aisle, but it is now in the S. wall of the S.E. chapel
and in the chapel of St. James; the occasion for its insertion is
not known but it can perhaps be associated with the building
of the S. aisle in the first half of the 14th century or with the
early 14th-century chantries. The main scheme of glazing
surviving from the 15th century is in the E. window of the
chancel, given in 1471 by John Walker, rector 1471–81. In
1669, when recorded by Henry Johnston (Bodleian, ms. Top.
Yorks. C14, f. 133), the window also contained a third row of
figure subjects depicting the Virgin Mary in five roles and a
fourth row with a figure of St. Paulinus and four blank panels.
Parts of these two lower rows survive in the E. windows of the
N. aisle and S.E. chapel, together with other fragments
probably from the glass in the pre-1823 E. window of the S.E.
chapel. A marked feature of the E. window of the chancel is
the compression of many of the figures; this is attributed by
J. A. Knowles, who described the window as it is now in some
detail (YAJ, xxviii (1926), 1–24), to the re-use of cartoons made
for taller panels.
In chancel, E. window, I, of five graduated lights, each with
cinque-foiled head, without tracery, contains two rows of figure
subjects. The heads (3a–3e) contain canopies, the middle three
incorporating shields-of-arms: (3b) probably of John Walker
(Plate 45); (3c) of George Neville, Archbishop of York
(1464–76) (Plate 56), with inscription beneath, 'A(rchiepiscopu)s
Georgi[us] N[e]well'; (3d) probably of Thomas Kempe,
Bishop of London (1450–1489) (Plate 45); all three shields
supported by kneeling angels, one of which is modern. In
upper panels, (2a) St. George slaying dragon (Plate 57); (2b)
St. John the Baptist with Lamb and Flag, his undergarment a
camel's skin (Plate 57); (2c) the Corpus Christi held up by God
the Father and with the Dove descending onto Our Lord's
head (Plate 46), the head of God the Father 15th-century but
not original; at bottom left, kneeling figure of donor with
inscription on long scroll 'Te adoro te gl[o]rifico o beata
trinitas', the 'beata' destroyed by vandalism in 1974; (2d) St.
John the Evangelist with dragon emerging from chalice
(Plate 45), the saint's head 18th-century; (2e) St. Christopher
carrying Christ Child (Plate 57); at the foot of these five
figures a metrical inscription runs across the window: '[W]alcar
rectoris a(n)i(m)e miserere ioh(annis) [?qu]i d(eu)s hic ista(m)
fieri fecit atque fenest[ram hoc] cu(m) cancello deitatis absque
du[ello an]no milleno C quater septuage[no 1] tame(n)
adiu(n)cto rex i(n) honore t[uo]. The full inscription is given
by Johnston (op. cit., f. 174). (1a) St. Mary Cleophas, Alphaeus
and their four children, St. James minor, St. Simon carrying a
long pole, possibly a toy windmill, St. Jude with a toy boat, and
St. Joseph Justus (Plate 59); (1b) St. Anne wearing a pointed
hood, with Joachim, the Virgin Mary wearing a crown, and
infant Jesus holding sceptred orb, his head a recent insertion
(Plate 51); (1c) Coronation of the Virgin by the Trinity
represented as three similar bearded persons, all wearing
Imperial arched crowns, seated and covered by a single cloak,
Christ identified by wounds, scourging marks and crown of
thorns; the Virgin's head, although of 15th-century date, is a
replacement inserted in the 18th or 19th century, possibly
from a donor figure, the original head having been crowned
(Plate 58); (1d) St. Mary Salome and Zebedee, St. Mary
carrying in her sinister hand a lily and in her dexter the infant
St. John, who holds a book on which is an eagle; below him a
patch, showing part of a Presentation in the Temple, takes the
place of the other child, St. James major (Plate 59); (1e) St.
Ursula with inscription 'S(an)c(t)a Ursula', holding an arrow
and shielding with her cloak five persons representing two
virgins, a pope, a king and a headless figure with a staff
In N. aisle, E. window, nII, of two lights, each with cinque-foiled head, without tracery, the inner borders filled with
fragments, including many grotesques of 14th-century date
and architectural pieces of the 15th century. In the main panels,
glass of the late 15th century unless stated, (3a) beneath two
14th-century harpies the Virgin Mary with triple tiara, holding
sceptre and lily and set within a rayed mandorla, and flanking
her a scroll with inscription 'Regina Celi' (Plate 55), all
recorded by Johnston as in window I beneath panel (1b); (3b)
beneath two confronted 14th-century wyverns, the Virgin
Mary within a rayed mandorla, holding a sceptre and flanked
by a scroll with inscription 'D(omi)na m(u)ndi', her head and
dexter hand lost and replaced by those of a contemporary sainted bishop, recorded by Johnston as in window I beneath panel
(1a); (2a) at the top, fragments, including a small half-figure of
St. John the Evangelist; below, a fragmentary figure of St.
William patched with a female crowned head and part of the
Virgin Mary's robe powdered with 'm's; beside him a scroll
inscribed 'Will(el)mus'; (2b) at the top, canopy fragments
flanked each side by an angel playing a lute; below, the
Virgin and Child in a rayed mandorla, the Virgin wearing a
triple tiara and holding a sceptre over her sinister shoulder,
flanking her a scroll with inscription 'Sancta Maria', the figures
recorded by Johnston as in window I under panel (1c), the
inscription contemporary but from elsewhere in the church;
(1a) fragmentary upper half of female figure with, to left, part
of an angel playing a lute; (1b) fragmentary figures including
the 14th-century head of a knight.
In S.E. chapel, E. window, sII, similar in form and dates to
window nII and the glass of like dates, the inner borders filled
with fragments; (3a) under opposed harpies of 14th-century
date, St. Paulinus as archbishop, with inscriptions on scrolls
'S(an)c(tu)s Pau[linus]' and, intruded, 'Gaudent', and on his
left a small female donor figure, the saint recorded by Johnston
as in window I under 'Domina Mundi'; (3b) under opposed
wyverns of 14th-century date, St. Stephen(?), carrying book
and stones, now with the contemporary head of a king, flanked
by intruded inscriptions '[j]ubileto' and '.. con ..'; (2a) quarry
fragments surrounding shield with arms of Latimer, all 14th-century; (2b) fragments surrounding a censing angel with
S. wall, 1st window, sIII, clear glazing, as in other windows
in S. aisle and S. chapel, but with shields-of-arms in the two
middle tracery lights for Provence and England, 14th-century.
2nd window, sIV, in two middle tracery lights, fragments of
vine and geometrical patterns.
In chapel of St. James, S. wall. Each window has two shields-of-arms in the two middle tracery lights: 1st window, sVI, of
Ros and de Vere. 2nd window, sVII, of Percy and Mowbray;
Inscriptions and Scratchings: in chapel of St. James, on
panelling, IM RI 1667 1670(?). Many masons' marks recorded
in 1960 and filed in RCHM archives, as well as some plumbers'
and glaziers' scratchings on the glass. Lord Mayors' Tables:
formed by two sunk wooden panels with moulded frames,
dated 1837 and with arms of the City of York, commemorating
mayoralties of James Meek, 1837, George Hudson, 1838 and
1839, and James Meek jnr., 1856.
Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: in S.E. chapel, (1)
Frances, wife of Sir Reginald Graham, Bart., of Norton
Conyers, 1721, white marble sarcophagus with heraldic
cartouche and, above, a shaped tablet, said to be by Charles
Mitley, in poor condition. In nave, on N. wall, (2) James
Robert Fryer, proctor, 1840, and other members of Fryer
family, white tablet with foliage against shaped background,
signed Fisher, York. In N. aisle, on N. wall, (3) the Rev. James
Dallin, M.A., of Magdalen (sic) College, Cambridge, 1838,
similar to (2), also by Fisher; (4) the Rev. James Dallin, 1838,
and (added) Elizabeth his wife, 1864, white tablet mounted on
larger black tablet containing inscription recording its reerection 1878 from the old church (St. Maurice) and signed
J. Flintoft, York; on W. wall, (5) Joseph Smith, 1827,
Christiana his daughter, 1824, freestone tablet decorated with
drapery, signed Bennett S. Yk. In S. aisle, (6) Joseph Buckle,
1818, Esther his wife, 1834, plain white marble tablet against
black rectangular background. In churchyard, a number of
shaped headstones of late 18th and 19th-century date including,
on N. side of church, (7) Bernard Watson, 1793; (8) George
Lockey, builder, 1838; on S. side of church, (9) Frances,
daughter of Charles Fisher, sculptor, and Mary Ann his wife,
1839; (10) Mary, wife of the Rev. John Slack, Wesleyan
Minister, 1826. Floor-slabs: in chancel, (1) Henery (sic) Billingham of Whitwill of the hill, 1703; (2) Richard Graham, of
Whitwell, youngest son of Sir Reginald Graham of Norton
Conyers, Bart., 1746, Cordelia Graham, wife of Richard,
daughter of William Chaloner of Gisborough, 1763; (3)
Lyonel Elyott, youngest son of Thomas Elyott Esqr., Groom
of the Bedchamber to Charles II, 1689, with recessed oval
containing cartouche with shield-of-arms; (4) William
Richardson, alderman and Lord Mayor, 1679; (5) William
Loe, ; (6) Richard Dennis, proctor, . In N. chancel
aisle, (7) Margaret, relict of Benjamin Swineard, 1819; (8)
Benjamin Swineard, 1796. In nave, (9) William Briggs, 1683,
Ann his wife, 1673, William Briggs and John, two of their
grandchildren who died young; (10) four children of James
Robert and Mary Ann Fryer, 19th-century; (11) James Robert
Fryer, proctor, 1840, father of four children named on (10). In
N. aisle, (12) Mrs. Margaret Smith of Scarborough, 1762; (13)
John Slack, 1744, Ann his wife, 1756. In S. aisle, (14) Mrs.
Elezebeth (sic) [surname illegible], daughter of Richard Dennis;
(15) Thomas Severs, 1829, Frances his widow, 1832; (16) T.B.,
1831, small slab.
Panelling: in chapel of St. James, attached to table-frame on
which Altar Stone (3) rests, fragment of 16th-century linenfold
panelling. Piscina: in chapel of St. James, on S. wall, with
trefoiled head and demi-octagonal bowl with drain, supported
on moulded column with two-stage base; probably original to
the chapel. Plate: cup by Peter Pearson, York 1622; flagon by
Isaac Cookson, Newcastle on Tyne 1746, given in 1746 by
Richard Graham, youngest son of Sir Reginald Graham, Bart.,
of Norton Conyers; paten given in 1706, with hallmarks which
do not appear to be English (Fallow and McCall, 28); two
pewter perambulation jugs, bought 1782; brass alms-dish, 1702.
Pulpit: of oak, formerly part of a three-decker, octagonal, with
two recessed panels on each face and with deep moulded
cornice, 1785 (Churchwardens' Accounts).
Recess: in E. respond of N. arcade, small recess with ogee
trefoiled head. Reredos: divided into three sections by pilasters
with recessed panels and with bolection-moulded panels to
dado; made 1721 for £9; main panels with the Lord's Prayer,
the Ten Commandments and the Creed in gold lettering,
originally painted by Mr. Horsley but relettered 1823 by
Charles James Hansom (Proceedings of Building Committee,
Borthwick Inst., y/htg 94/5). Royal Arms: in chapel of St.
James, on W. wall, Hanoverian 1714–1800, perhaps those
painted in 1721 by Mr. Horsley (Churchwardens' Accounts).
Seating: box-pews, dating mainly from the 18th century,
possibly from 1738 when Joseph Barton was paid £11. 19s. 7d.
for carpenter's work, but incorporating some 17th-century
panelling, posts and strapwork decoration, and exhibiting a
wide variety of shaped hinges.
Miscellanea: (1) altar-frontal with fragments of embroidery
of 1740 (G. Benson, Extracts from the Churchwardens' Accounts).
In S.E. chapel, below second window from E., (2) small stone,
possibly a voussoir, decorated with chevron ornament, early