Other Ecclesiastical Architecture
(21) Augustinian Friary is said to have been
founded c. 1272 by friars from Tickhill who bought
seven houses in York for a friary (F. Roth, The English
Austin Friars, 1249–1538, 1 (New York, 1966), 360–5).
The site was always very small, and reached its maximum extent by a process of piecemeal acquisition of
neighbouring properties. By the latest acquisition, in
1482, of two messuages on the corner of St. Leonard's
Landing, granted for 99 years by a fraternity maintained by the carpenters (YCA, Memo. Book b/y,
ff. 207b–208), the site extended between modern
Museum Street and the Guildhall, and between Lendal
and the Ouse. On its suppression in 1538, the site of the
friary was obtained by the Lawson family. A stone
dormitory was begun in 1425 (YCA, G24B) and a
cloister was being built in 1452.
The surviving length of boundary wall faces the river and
is built of magnesian limestone. It is in two stretches, that at the
N.W. end breaking forward a short distance towards the
river, and both presenting evidence of blocked openings. The
S.E. stretch ends at the S.E. with a straight joint cutting through
a blocked pointed chamfered arch. It is built in courses of
varying depths and is crowned by a sloped coping surmounted
by modern masonry. The N.W. stretch of wall also has a
sloped coping for most of its length, above which is later
brickwork. A stepped landing stage covers the bottom of the
river wall, which is exposed to a height of above 6 ft. and
blocks a water-gate. The archway of the water-gate has been
removed and its position is now detectable only by irregularities in the stone coursing, and by splays in plan and section
which thicken the wall. Part of a building in the boatyard
behind No. 8 Lendal (253) is built on the N.W. end of the
wall and a short length of wall which returns from the W.
corner, most of which is hidden by the rising ground level. A
further length of wall, 8 ft. high including a 5 ft. high plinth,
is visible in the carriageway to No. 26 Lendal, backing onto
the forecourt of the Guildhall close to Common Hall Lane.
Surviving fragments of the friary buildings are limited to a
mid 15th-century door jamb, discovered in 1958 in the basement of No. 12 Lendal (254), and a mullion springer and
cusped window tracery, now in the Yorkshire Museum, found
just outside the precincts on the E. side of Lendal during the
reconstruction of offices at Nos. 13–23 Lendal (251).
(22) Carmelite Friary is now represented only by a
stretch of precinct wall, 120 ft. long, visible in a lane at
the rear of properties on the N.E. side of Fossgate, and
by carved architectural fragments and remains of
monuments now in the Yorkshire Musuem. The Carmelite Friars, first established in York outside the city
walls about 1250, in the Horsefair, an area extending
beyond the modern junction of Wigginton Road and
Haxby Road (York IV, xxxvii), moved in 1295 to a site
granted to them by William de Vescy extending from
Stonebow to the Foss and between Fossgate and 'le
Merske', probably Hungate (CPR, 1292–1301, 154;
CCR, 1257–1300, 486). The property reached Fossgate
only at its northern end, near Pavement, and the friary
gateway was built here. Work was proceeding on the
church in 1300, when the king granted the friars eight
oaks. The cemetery was consecrated in 1304, and the
church in 1328. In 1314 the friars were allowed to
construct a quay on the banks of the king's fish-pond
in the Foss (CPR, 1313–17, 185). In 1403 John Stokwyth
left 20s. to the work of building a new choir, and by a
codicil of 1404 to his will Bishop Skirlaw left £40 to
the fabric of the church if not completed before his
death. Skirlaw's arms are carved on one of the surviving
architectural fragments (TE, 1, ccxxv, 313). There was a
chapel near the gateway dedicated to the Virgin
Mary, containing a life-size statue of the Virgin which
attracted crowds of pilgrims.
The sale of 20,000 bricks to the Merchant Adventurers' Company in 1358 suggests that some of the conventual buildings may have been of brick, and some of
the 2 in. thick bricks visible immediately above the
surviving masonry of the precinct wall may predate
the friary's suppression. The permission granted in
1314 to the friars to construct a quay specifically
mentions stone, brushwood and other necessaries, and
recent finds suggest a variety of buildings using masonry,
brickwork and timber framing. The boundary was not
marked by a stone wall for its entire circumference: the
boundary with property belonging to Meaux Abbey,
next to Foss Bridge in Fossgate, was probably too marshy
and had to be marked by wooden posts, with a large
stone behind and at the foot of every post, in 1421
(SS, cxxv (1915), 80–1). Posts were also placed in
Fossgate opposite the entrance to close it to vehicular
traffic (Raine, 34). The friary was suppressed in 1538,
when it had a prior, nine priests and three novices
(L & P Hy VIII, xiii Part 2, 382).
The site can be identified on Speed's map of 1610 and
subsequent maps, including that of Baines of 1822, until the
OS map of 1852 but the street pattern in this area has since
altered radically. The surviving length of wall, visible in an
unpaved lane at the rear of Nos. 8 to 10 Fossgate, marked as
'Black Horse Passage' on the 1852 OS map, consists of a series
of disparate sections of coursed magnesian limestone rubble
masonry, reaching a maximum height of about 3 ft. 6 in.,
surmounted by brick walls of different builds including some
narrow bricks which may predate the friary's dissolution.
Various monumental remains found in the vicinity, which
can be linked with the friary, are listed below: most are in the
(1) 'Two parts of a tombstone', now lost, of Simon de
Wyntringham, priest; 'QUONDAM VICARIO SANCTI
MARTINI MAGNI LONDON' (Hargrove, 325–6).
(2) Monumental effigy, probably that described as 'the
statue of a Knight Templar from a wall near Walmgate' in the
Yorkshire Museum accessions for 1838, formerly used as a
boundary mark for the parish of St. Margaret against a wall
in Neutgate, now called George Street: previously published,
York IV, xlvi, item xxix, and described there. W. H. Brook
(YM, MS. Cat. iii, 50–3, item 1002) suggested an identification
with Sir John de Vescy, of the family of William de Vescy,
who founded the friary on its final site, on the basis of the
arms on the shield; length 6 ft. 6 in., width 2 ft. 1¾ in., tapered,
thickness of base 4¾ in., height of figure above bed 1 ft. 4¼ in.
(3) Large grave-slab, 3 ft. 2¼ in. long, 2 ft. 11½ in. broad,
6¾ in. thick, with inscription above shield carved with damaged
initials, RI or RL, with cross standing on shield. The damaged
inscription was read in 1889 as 'Hic jacet [Ricar]dus de Her'
(Brook, YM, MS. Cat. iii, 72–3, item 1031). The stone was
one of several found in 1857 during excavation of the former
stable-yard of the Old George Hotel at the top of Hungate,
adjoining Stone Bow Lane. The site, identifiable on the 1852
OS map, is marked on the 1941 OS map as Lime Street, which
was demolished for the Stonebow development. The slab was
described as a mural monument, 3 ft. 5 in. broad by 4 ft. long
(showing that part has been lost subsequently), broken at the
base and probably 6 ft. long originally. The inscription was
read as '+ HIC : IACET : RICARDVS : DE : LEYCEST'
(YG, 31 Jan. 1857).
(4) Child's stone coffin and lid, 1 ft. 10¼ in. long by 103/8 in.
wide, tapering to 8 in., found in Fossgate in 1887 (No. 35 in
YMH; Brook, YM, MS. Cat. iii, 34–7, items 546, 547). The
lid, with chamfered edges, is carved with a foliated cross on a
calvary base of two steps. A buckle with its clasp on the shaft
has been suggested as the fibula badge of the Percys, Earls of
Northumberland, who apart from the link with the Carmelites shown by the 1392 gift of land by Henry de Percy, had
connections with St. Crux and St. Denys'. 14th-century.
(5) Stone, 2¼ ft. square, carved with four shields in relief;
found in digging for the foundations of the Electric Theatre,
York's first purpose-built cinema, built in 1911 (VCH, York,
535). W. H. Brook suggested that it formed part of the
heraldic decoration of the spandrels on either side of the
friary gateway (Brook, YM, MS. Cat. ii, 62, item 647). The
charges of the two upper shields are carved in relief; the lower
shields are blank. The shields are of Skirlaw and Neville.
(6) Angle bracket corbel of roughly sculptured angel with
outstretched wings supporting corbel-table (Brook, YM, MS.
Cat. 1, 157–8, item 239); donor given as the Electric Theatre
Co., per Benson, so probably found at same time as and in
vicinity of (5).
(7) Trefoil-pointed arch, made of three separate pieces of
timber 9 in. by 9 in. in section, found in conjunction with
fragments of limestone moulding and dressed stones on site
of the Telephone Exchange in 1949–51 (Katherine M. Richardson, 'Excavations in Hungate, York', Arch. J., cxvi (1961),
(23) Franciscan Friary was founded c. 1230 and
dissolved in 1538 (VCH, York, 362). From 1243 it
occupied a site on the S.W. side of Castlegate, extending
to the river and bounded on the S.E. by the city wall
(York II, 158). There are no remains of the church or
conventual buildings, but parts of the precinct wall
survive. In 1291 a royal licence was granted to the
friars to allow them to complete a stone wall on the
bank of the river, already begun (CPR, 1281–92, 427),
and there were subsequently complaints that it had an
injurious effect on the Skeldergate bank opposite
(CPR, 1301–7, 387).
A surviving section of the mediaeval river wall, 240 ft. long,
extends from Lower Friargate to Peckitt Street. It is of magnesian limestone to a height of 6 ft. above the modern footpath
and the S.E. half is overlaid by 3 ft. of brickwork of late
mediaeval date. The lower part of the wall is battered and
there are seven large buttresses, each splayed on the upstream
side. The N.W. bay has a chamfered plinth; of this, a length
of 14¼ ft. is raised up over an opening, now blocked and
hidden by the modern esplanade, but which must have been
a water-gate serving the friary. The upper part of this section
appears to have been rebuilt. The S.E. continuation of the
wall, as far as Davy Tower, of magnesian limestone, is of 17th
or 18th-century date; it has a chamfered plinth and there is
one round-arched doorway.
Remains of a length of about 150 ft. of the N.W. wall of the
precinct, mostly built over with later structures, survive at
No. 20 Castlegate (87), No. 22 Castlegate (88), and the
Friends' Meeting House (27).
(24) Centenary Methodist Chapel, St. Saviourgate
(Plate 66), built to commemorate the first hundred
years of Methodism, was completed in 1840. The
architect was James Simpson of Leeds. The chapel was
designed to accommodate 1,500 people, with vestries
and a caretaker's flat in a basement below. Considerable
additions at the back of the chapel, providing schoolrooms, etc., were built in 1872 and 1895 to replace
similar structures of 1861 and 1864 destroyed by fire.
The walls of the chapel are of common brick, with stone
dressings to the S.E. front facing St. Saviourgate. Projecting
in the middle of this front is a tetrastyle Ionic portico under a
pediment; the entablature is continued to the ends of the
elevation over pilasters at the corners. The doorways are plain
and there are rectangular windows with moulded architraves
above. The two sides and the N.W. end, which is segmental on
plan, are of plain brick with round-headed windows in two
storeys, with basement windows below. Inside, a gallery
supported on cast-iron columns of the Composite order is
carried all round, segmentally on plan at each end. The ceiling
is divided into square panels, alternate panels being decorated
with a rosette. The main floor of the chapel and the gallery
are furnished with panelled box-pews. Monument: on N.W.
wall, Joseph Agar, 1847, wall-monument with white marble
sarcophagus, signed Waudby.
(25) Chapel House, Nos. 40, 42 Aldwark, former
Wesleyan Chapel, was built in 1759. It remained a
chapel until 1805 and has since been drastically altered.
It is a rectangular brick structure. Some of the original
window arches remain, semicircular on the S.E.
elevation, segmental on the N.W.
(26) Former Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel,
now No. 3 Little Stonegate (Plate 66; Fig. 30), is of brick
with stone dressings and has a pantiled roof. Designed
by J. P. Pritchett, architect, and opened for worship on
13 November 1851, the cost was £2,274. It is said to
have accommodated 1,000 persons (VCH, York, 414).
It replaced the Grape Lane Chapel (28) nearby and was
the most important Primitive Methodist chapel in
York until 1901 when it was sold for £2,000 for use
as a printing works, which still continues.
The front elevation, of white brick, is of two storeys above
a semi-basement faced with rusticated ashlar stone. It is six
bays wide, the bay at each end projecting slightly and containing a doorway at ground level. The windows have moulded stone architraves; those on the first floor in the end bays,
which light staircases, are distinguished by being wider and
round-arched. The rear elevation is of red brick and very plain.
In spite of many years of commercial use, the interior is
fairly well preserved. In the chapel, a gallery supported on
iron columns remains though all the seating has gone; the
staircase at the N.W. end (Fig. 11x) continues to an upper
gallery, which has an iron balustraded front. The staircase at
the S.E. end has reset mid 18th-century balusters. Below the
chapel was a Sunday School room in the semi-basement.
Fig. 30. (26) Former Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel.
(27) Friends' Meeting House (Fig. 31), of brick with
a slate-covered roof, stands on the E. side of Clifford
Street at the corner of Friargate, but the historic part
of the building, erected in 1817, is set back from the
frontages in a secluded position. The Society of Friends
was meeting on this site in 1674 in a house to which
additions were made in 1678 (VCH, York, 405–6). In
1718 a larger meeting house for the Yorkshire Quarterly
Meeting, capable of seating over 800 persons, was built
adjacent to the older one on the N.E. side (Hargrove,
ii, 217–9). A gallery was erected in it in 1778, and further
alterations were made to the smaller meeting house in
1774 and 1785–6 (Meeting Archives). In 1816–7 the
meeting house built in 1718 was mostly taken down and
replaced by a new and enlarged one; the foundations
and some of the lower parts of the older walls were
reused but the building was extended 15 ft. to the S.E.
The S.E. wall of 1718 had been built on a length of the
precinct wall of the Franciscan Friary (23) and remains
of this survive in the basement. The architects of the
new meeting house were C. Watson and J. P. Pritchett
and the building was described at length in a book
published soon afterwards (W. Alexander, Observations
on the Construction and Fitting Up of Meeting Houses etc.
for Public Worship, illustrated by Plans, Sections and
Description including one lately erected in the City of York,
embracing in particular the method of Warming and Ventilating (1820)). As well as the meeting house itself,
additional rooms were built including a library and a
committee room. The cost was £3,274 and full building accounts are preserved in the archives of the Meeting. The feature which attracted most attention, and
was referred to in detail in Alexander's book, was the
method of heating and ventilating. This was accomplished by the smoke flue from a furnace being taken
in a circuitous path under the floor and set inside a
broader fresh air duct. The smoke flue was built with
thin brick walls on each side and flagstones above and
below; these became hot and warmed the air in the
outer flue which escaped into the meeting house through
registers in the floor. The smoke flue was eventually
taken up the N.W. wall to an outlet at the apex of the
pediment. The ventilation flue could also be used for
admitting cool air in the summer. A similar system was
also inserted into the smaller meeting house at the same
date. A small record closet with a vaulted ceiling was
built on the N.E. side in 1797 and allowed to remain in
the general rebuilding of 1817. Major alterations were
made to the whole group in 1884–5 when a three-storeyed block of rooms was built to the S.W. with an
elevation to the newly-formed Clifford Street, and the
original 17th-century meeting house and the committee
room of 1817 were demolished and replaced; the
architect was William H. Thorpe of Leeds (Building
News, 16 April 1886). In 1903 a new heating and
ventilating system was installed, but still using ducted
hot air. The meeting house of 1817 still stands, with the
adjoining block built for the library, and is of special
interest for the full contemporary publication.
Fig. 31. (27) Friends' Meeting House, Clifford Street.
The N.W. elevation is of facing brick in Flemish bond, but
the lower part is now inside a lobby which was originally an
open court; the three entrances have modern glazed doors
set in the original architraves, but a colonnade which stood
in front, shown by Alexander, has been removed. Above are
two tiers of five blind windows and within the overall pediment is a bull's-eye. The other elevations are of randombonded common brick and the window openings have flat
arches and later casements; in the gable of the S.E. wall is
Inside, there is a gallery on three sides, supported on iron
columns (Plate 67). The gallery front has elongated fielded
panels surmounted by a low balustrade. The simple bench
seating may be of the early 19th century and rises in tiers
below the gallery; on the walls is a dado of fielded panels. In
the flat ceiling are round ventilators with fanwise slats. Two
staircases to the gallery have stone steps, square balusters and
moulded mahogany handrails.
Because of the sloping ground there is a small basement at
the S.E. end; inside this, a length of the Friars' Wall, of
magnesian limestone, survives to a maximum height of 4 ft.
and is overlaid by 2 in. brickwork, probably of 1718.
(28) Grape Lane Chapel occupied a site between
Grape Lane and Coffee Yard now (1975) a private car
park. It was built in 1781 by Paul Batty, a wealthy York
citizen, for an independent congregation which had
withdrawn from the Countess of Huntingdon's
Connexion. Later, it was successively occupied by the
Methodist New Connexion, by Calvinistic Baptists,
and finally by the Primitive Methodists from 1820 until
1851 when they moved to Ebenezer Chapel (26). It
became a warehouse, but was roofless and derelict in
1963 and subsequently demolished. It was built of red
brick to an irregular polygonal plan, and had a gallery
supported on iron columns which was inserted in 1800.
There was accommodation for over 600 persons.
(29) Former Lendal Congregational Chapel, now
No. 2 Lendal (Lendal House), on the S.W. side of the
street, is of brick with a slated roof. It was built for a
congregation which had previously met in Jubbergate
Chapel; the foundation stone was laid on 4 March 1816
and the chapel was opened for worship on 7 November
the same year. The architects were C. Watson and J. P.
Pritchett and the cost is said to have been over £3,000.
Originally there was accommodation for 950 persons
but this was later augmented by additional seats in 'a
handsome circular gallery behind the pulpit'. In 1824
it became the first place of worship in York to be lighted
by gas. There was a restoration in 1902, but the chapel
was closed for worship in 1929. It is now used as a shop
and a restaurant and has been reconstructed internally.
The elevations are two-storeyed, but at the rear, where the
ground slopes away sharply, there is also a basement which
housed the Sunday School. All the original windows are
round-arched, and on the first floor they are linked by a
continuous stone sill; the glazing dates from 1902. The front
to the street is five bays wide with the middle three set in a
slight projection crowned by a pediment; the ground floor
has modern shop windows with a marble and stucco fascia.
The S.E. side elevation is also of five bays, but plainer; the
ground-floor windows are of lower proportions and there are
sunk rectangular panels above them. At the rear is a later apse,
single-storeyed, with a half-domed roof abutting the main
body of the chapel. The interior has been completely transformed, but in the apse one window retains a reeded architrave.
(30) Former New Street Chapel, later the Tower
Cinema, on the S.E. side of New Street, was built in
1805 for the Wesleyan Methodists and opened for
worship on October 13th of that year. The architect
was 'Mr. Rawstorne', presumably John Rawstorne
who was awarded the second premium in the Ouse
Bridge competition of 1809 (York III, 49). It is said to
have cost more than £4,000 and to have had seating
for over 2,000 persons. In 1860 a new portico was added
and also an organ in an apse behind the pulpit. It was
closed in 1908, reopened as the Tower Cinema in 1920
and finally demolished in 1966.
It was built of brick with stone dressings and had a slate-covered roof. The two-storeyed front elevation, set back from
the street, had a three-bay centre section with pediment, and a
further bay to each side canted backwards; all the doorways
and windows were round-arched, the central windows being
wider and of tripartite form. All this was hidden after 1920 by
a new frontage built further forward. Before conversion to
a cinema the interior had a gallery on three sides with a curved
front and supported on iron columns. Demolished.
(31) Salem Chapel, St. Saviourgate (Plates 66, 67;
Fig. 32), was built in 1839 to the design of J. P. Pritchett,
architect, of York for the Trustees of the Lendal
Chapel. The chapel ceased to be used as a place of
worship in 1934 and was pulled down in 1963.
The chapel, rectangular on plan, was designed to accommodate a congregation of 1,700 with a schoolroom in a basement below. The walls were of brick, stuccoed on the S. front,
with stone dressings. The symmetrical S. front was designed
in five bays; the centre part was recessed behind two Ionic
columns in antis. Above, an entablature ran the full width of
the front and there was a small attic storey over the three
middle bays surmounted by a crowning feature with scroll-work. The door and window openings had battered sides.
The treatment of the front, stuccoed with pilasters and
entablature, was returned for one bay on each side, beyond
which was plain brick walling with three ranges of plain
windows; the bottom range lit the basement; the windows in
the top range were round-headed.
Inside, a gallery carried on cast-iron Ionic columns was
U-shaped, extending round the E., S. and W. sides, with a
small upper gallery across the S. end carried on timber Corinthian columns. At the N. end the main gallery front was
continued across a recess which accommodated the organ.
The recess was flanked by Corinthian pilasters carrying an
enriched segmental arch. The floor of the chapel was carried
on three rows of columns in the basement. The middle row
was of timber; the outer rows were of cast iron.
Fig. 32. (31) Salem Chapel, St. Saviourgate.
The fittings included balustrades of cast iron to the upper
gallery and to the pulpit steps. The pulpit was a square structure with panelled sides and recessed Ionic columns at the
(32) Unitarian Chapel (Plate 66; Fig. 33), originally
Presbyterian, stands on the N.W. side of St. Saviourgate
within its own burial ground. It is built in the form of a
Greek cross, with raised central crossing forming a low
tower, and has walls of brick with a rendered plinth,
and roofs of Westmorland and Welsh slate. It is aligned
N.W. to S.E. with the communion table in the N.W.
arm and the main entrance in the S.E., but is described
as if the main axis were N. to S.
The chapel was built by December 1692 (J. Kenrick,
Memorials of the Presbyterian Chapel, St. Saviourgate,
York (York 1869), 32–3) and opened in April 1693
(VCH, York, 404). It was endowed at her death by Lady
Hewley, the foundress of the hospital in Tanner Row
which was later rebuilt in St. Saviourgate (see Monument
(41)) but the building of the chapel was financed by
members of the congregation (Kenrick, op. cit.; W.
Hargrove in Supplement to YH, 14 Sept. 1907). According to Kenrick (p. 34), the chapel remained largely
as first built until 1859, but the fenestration and the
rainwater gutters were altered before 1851 (YCAG, F3
(EC/ENG), R. R[odwell]) and the W., E. and S. arms
may have been re-roofed before this date. The high wall
with wooden gates to St. Saviourgate was replaced in
1851 by a low wall with iron railings and gates by John
Walker of Walmgate (Chapel Minute Book 1844–95,
72–5). Alterations to the interior, under the supervision
of the architect George Fowler Jones, took place in
1860 (Minute Book, 11 June 1860 et seq.). The vestry in
the N.W. angle was added in the 19th century and has
been further altered and extended in the 20th century.
The entrance doors to the chapel have all been replaced,
those on the N. side in the 19th century and those on
the S. in the 20th.
Despite complete refitting internally, the chapel
remains important for its unusual cruciform shape and
as the earliest nonconformist chapel surviving in York.
The main entrance in the S. arm has a moulded stone
cornice above the doorway, and there are also doorways in
the E. and W. arms. In each face of each arm of the building
is a round-arched window with renewed voussoirs. In the
W. arm two inserted windows replace a blocked central
window. The windows have 19th-century glazing with
marginal lights. The N., W. and E. faces of the N., W. and E.
arms respectively have two-course brick bands at tie-beam
level and a blocked oeil-de-boeuf window with flush surround
of headers to the gable. Eight small windows, two to each face
of the tower, formerly lit the crossing; with one exception
these have been blocked with bricks or filled by louvres.
The pitch of the roofs of the W., E. and S. arms has been
lowered and the scar of the former roof of the E. arm is visible
on the E. face of the tower. The roof of the S. arm is hipped to
the S. and that of the tower is of pyramidal shape. The tower
and the N. arm retain their original arrangement internally,
above the ceilings inserted in the 19th century. The walls of
the tower were plastered and formerly had a deep cornice
with brackets, but the 17th-century ceiling has been removed
and the tie-beams and large principal rafters and the crossing
members, ending in a block at the apex, are exposed. The N.
arm retains its original plaster barrel vault and, above, rather
thin roof timbers with one pair of principal rafters and collar,
purlins and common rafters. The blocked oeil-de-boeuf window
had a splayed surround. Evidence for similar plaster barrel
vaults survives in the re-roofed W., E. and S. arms.
Fig. 33. (32) Unitarian Chapel, St. Saviourgate.
Fittings— Chair: with turned front and plain back legs, rails
and arms, the front and back rails modern replacements, said
to have been used by Lady Hewley, 17th-century. Monuments
and Floor-slabs. Monuments: unless described otherwise, all are
simple white marble tablets of sarcophagus shape against
darker backgrounds. In N. arm, on N. wall, (1) Varley Bealby,
late of Mount House, 1836, Ann his widow, daughter of
Robert Driffield, 1850, decorated white marble sarcophagus
against shaped slate background, signed Skelton; (2) Robert
Driffield, 1816, Mary his wife, 1806, Samuel their son, 1806,
all buried at Acomb Church, Robert, infant, buried in St.
Saviourgate Chapel, erected by Ann Bealby, similar to (1),
signed C. Fisher, York; on E. wall, (3) Mrs. Catherine Cappe,
widow of the Rev. Newcome Cappe, 1821, signed Taylor,
York. In W. arm, on N. wall, (4) the Rev. Edward Sandercock, 1770, white marble sarcophagus with black marble
decoration of Greek key pattern and floral paterae; on S. wall,
(5) Rachel, widow of the Rev. Edward Sandercock, 1790,
elaborate monument in coloured marbles with female figure
seated on sarcophagus, signed 'REGNART Sculpsit Cleaveland St. Fitzroy Sqre. LONDON'. In E. arm, on N. wall, (6)
the Rev. Newcome Cappe, minister of congregation upwards
of 45 years, 1800, similar to (3) but unsigned; (7) Mary Duckworth, 1819; on S. wall, (8) Ann Wellbeloved, wife of the
Rev. Charles Wellbeloved, 1823, Anne their daughter, 1846,
signed Skelton, York; (9) the Rev. Charles Wellbeloved,
66 years pastor of congregation, 37 years Professor of Theology
in Manchester New College, 1858, signed Skelton, York. In
S. arm, in vestibule, (10) John Mason of Welburn, first
preacher of Unitarian Christianity in village, 1828, removed
to St. Saviourgate 1877, signed R. Bradley. In burial ground,
mostly illegible except for one to the Rev. Charles Well-beloved, 1858, Ann his wife, 1823, Anne their daughter, 1846.
Floor-slabs: include, in the S. arm, (1) Ioshua Taylor of Moston
near Manchester, 1765; (2) Robert, son of Robert and Mary
Paintings: include portraits of Sir John and Lady Hewley,
now on loan at the Mansion House, 17th-century. Plate: pair
of posset cups, bowls with gadrooned decoration on lower
part and with scrolled handles, engraved C/TM for Thomas
Colton (minister 1692–1731) and Mary his wife, by R. G.,
London 1694; pair of plain plates, 'The gift of Andrew
Taylor, 1696', by T. L., London 1673; flagon, a domestic jug
with vase-shaped octagonal body and bentwood handle, by
Peter and Jonathan Bateman, London 1790. Pulpit: octagonal,