The Treasurer's House and Gray's Court
(35) The Treasurer's House and Gray's Court
(Plates 81–88; Figs. 42–45), situated to the N.E. of the
Minster within the Liberty of St. Peter, partly enclose
a courtyard which is approached from Chapter House
Street. At least part of the site was built on in Roman
times: the base of a Roman column remains in situ in a
cellar passage adjoining Chapter House Street, some
12 ft. below the present ground level. It was discovered
in 1898 in the course of alterations. More recently a
second column was uncovered by workmen in Chapter
House Street, and it seems probable that these bases
belong to a colonnaded building that flanked the Via
Decumana (York 1, 43, 112). In 1898 part of a Roman
cobble pavement was also found (York 1, 37).
The office of Treasurer was established by Thomas
of Bayeux, appointed archbishop by William the
Conqueror. The office was more richly endowed than
the offices of Dean, Chancellor and Precentor, and the
first four Treasurers, up to 1162, appear to have been
resident in York. At least one Romanesque wall remains,
in Gray's Court, which is presumably part of a substantial Treasurer's residence. The lower parts of the
present Treasurer's House contain much 12th-century
masonry but whether any is in situ or all is reused is
York Minster Fabric Rolls for 1544/5 record that the
house belonging to the Treasurer was in a poor condition (YFR, 273–4), and on 26 May 1547 it was surrendered by the last Treasurer to the Crown. Edward VI
granted the house to the Protector Somerset, who sold
it for 200 marks to Archbishop Robert Holgate, who
had previously acquired the church of St. John del
Pyke which stood nearby to the E. These properties later
passed to Archbishop Young (1561–8), who began the
destruction of the Archbishop's Palace, to the N. of
the Minster, by removing the lead from the great hall
to buy an estate for his son George (VCH, Yorks. III,
52), and it is probable that stone from these buildings
was used by George to build a new mansion. That part
of the back elevation faced with stone and incorporating
a gable is probably part of this building, built in the
second half of the 16th century (Plate 83). A major
reconstruction appears to have been undertaken by
Thomas, the grandson of George Young, who owned
and occupied the property in the period 1628–48. He
probably widened the central hall range by some 6 ft.
and, within the confines of the existing cross-walls to
the N.W. and S.E., built a new two-storeyed symmetrical elevation with central frontispiece entrance, raised
upon steps to reach the new floor level which had been
formed to allow cellarage in the basements beneath.
The previous S.E. wing was doubled in width by the
addition of a new range on its S.E. side, projecting
boldly to the N.E. The S.W. elevation of the older wing
was remodelled to form part of a wider elevation with
pedimented windows and Dutch gables. The N.W.
wing was also remodelled or rebuilt, with its ground
floor at the new hall level, with windows and gables
forming a balanced composition with the S.E. wing, as
indicated in the reconstruction drawing (Fig. 42).
Fig. 42. (35) The Treasurer's House. Reconstruction of S.W. elevation as in c. 1700.
The last work that can be attributed to Thomas
Young was the construction of a first-floor gallery,
standing over an open colonnade, built against the
12th-century wall running N.E. from the N.W. end of
the house. This wall had survived from a building
which lay on its N.W. side, so that the new gallery was
built against the outside face of the wall. The colonnade
was formed with six reused 12th-century columns;
one column stands on a late 12th-century base, two
others have bases of inverted 12th-century capitals, a
fourth base is modern, and the remaining two columns
have no bases. This was the beginning of the building
now called Gray's Court.
In 1648 the property was acquired by William Belt,
Recorder of York, whose heir sold it to Lord Fairfax,
who had played a prominent part in the siege of York
in 1644. In 1663 Fairfax moved to a new house he had
built across the river in Bishophill and sold the Treasurer's House to George Aislabie, Registrar of the Ecclesiastical Court in York. The latter died following a
duel in 1674 and was succeeded by his son John, who
was M.P. for Ripon for twenty-five years and, as
Chancellor of the Exchequer, was implicated in the
affairs of the South Sea Bubble. After his enforced
retirement from affairs of state, he created the superb
landscape garden at Studley Royal of which Fountains
Abbey forms the climax. Aislabie sold the Treasurer's
House in 1698 to Robert Squire, who died in 1709.
According to Francis Drake, the 18th-century York
historian, 'it (the house) was rebuilt in the manner it
stands at present, about 40 years ago by Robert Squire
Esq. ...' but it does not appear that Squire's work can
have been more than refenestration and redecoration.
In 1711 Jane Squire inherited the property from her
mother, Priscilla, and she divided the house between
two tenants; the N.W. cross-wing and the gallery
behind formed one part and the central hall block and
the S.E. cross-wing the other. A new entrance to the
gallery wing must have been put up at this time against
the N.W. end of the present Treasurer's House, together with the room N.W. of it; and it was perhaps at
the same time that the colonnade of the back wing was
closed in. In 1721 the property was acquired by Matthew Robinson. The S.E. part he sold in 1725 to Bacon
Morritt and the remainder in 1728 to the Rev. Edward
Finch, Canon Residentiary of the Minster. The Morritt
family kept their part until 1813 and refitted many of
the rooms, including the Dining Room and the West
Sitting Room, most of the work being of mid 18th-century date.
In his part Canon Finch also made considerable
alterations. He fitted with bolection-moulded panelling
the two rooms which have since been united to form
the Drawing Room, but were the Dining Room and
Library; he built the grand staircase behind and introduced Venetian windows in the N.E. wall to light it. He
also introduced two Venetian-type windows into the
first floor of the S.W. front. The reused 17th-century
panelling in the gallery behind was probably refixed
there by Canon Finch to make way for new panelling
in the rooms on the S.W. front.
In 1742 Daniel, Earl of Winchelsea and Nottingham,
inherited from Canon Finch and immediately sold his
part of the property to Dr. Jaques Sterne, Precentor,
uncle of the more famous Laurence Sterne. Sterne, who
died in 1757, presumably built the so-called Sterne
Room which projects S.E. from the N.E. end of the
gallery and over a ground floor which is in part, at
least, of the 14th century. Sterne also sub-divided his
part of the property, selling off the N.W. wing of the
present Treasurer's House to Francis Topham. The
back wing he retained, and after his death it was bought
by Henry Willoughby of Birdsall, who later became
the fifth Baron Middleton. It was then bought by the
Grays in 1788 and they occupied part of it until 1945.
The gallery was 80 ft. long when the Grays purchased
it but was later sub-divided (A. Gray, Papers and Diaries
of a York Family 1764–1839 (1927), 6). It was probably
William Gray who added a top storey over the gallery
and a small structure, presumably for a staircase, in the
W. corner of the courtyard. This, together with an
associated chimney, has since been removed, but the
curved 'half-gable' against which its roof abutted
remains. Major alterations were designed for Gray in
1846 by the architects J. B. and W. Atkinson; the
building now known as Gray's Court was completed
in its present size, new rooms being built on the N.W.
side of the 12th-century wall which had formed the
back wall of the gallery. At the N.E. end a large bowfronted structure was added; the first floor of this new
part was reached by a new staircase in the middle of the
gallery, as shown in the plan by the Atkinsons illustrated
on Plate 1. As mentioned, the structure in the W.
corner of the courtyard was removed, leaving exposed
the half-gable which had been erected to form the back
of it, and the small wing containing the Sterne room
was partly remodelled.
The early 19th century brought considerable changes
to the Treasurer's House. New buildings, which have
since been cleared away, were added against the S.W.
ends of the cross-wings and against the N.E. side of the
hall. After the Morritts left in 1813 their part of the
house was divided into two. The additions are shown
on the OS map of 1852; the subdivision of the house as in
1868 is shown by Mrs. E. Gray in The Mansion House
of the Treasurer's House and Gray's Court (1933).
The three separate tenements into which the Treasurer's House was divided were bought in 1897–8 by Mr.
Frank Green of Nunthorpe Hall, York. He appointed
Mr. Temple Moore as his architect to undertake a major
alteration and restoration, bringing the house to its
present state. Temple Moore took out the first floor of
the central block to create the present Great Hall;
the pillars at the S.E. end of the hall were erected on the
foundations of previous ones when the later wall
encasing them was removed. He modelled the staircase
leading up from the hall on that at Knole Park, Kent.
A number of rooms were refitted with materials brought
from elsewhere, and a new entrance from Chapter
House Street was constructed. On the S.W. front, sash
windows in the centre block and the S.E. cross-wing
were replaced with transomed and mullioned windows.
In 1930 Mr. Green presented the house to the National
Green's restoration of the Treasurer's House was
mostly completed in 1900 and in the same year Edwin
Gray commissioned Temple Moore to improve
Gray's Court and to recombine the latter as a single
residence after a century of subdivision. Moore took
the Atkinson staircase out of the gallery wing and
replaced it by a new stair N.W. of the spine wall and
formed the present two-storey porch opposite. Partition walls were removed from the gallery and additional
new oak panelling was introduced. New fireplaces,
doors and windows designed by Moore were generally
skilful copies of earlier styles. Here, as in the Treasurer's
House, Temple Moore's extensive restoration has done
much to obscure the earlier history of the building.
Gray's Court is now owned by the Dean and Chapter
and leased to St. John's College of Education.
The Treasurer's House. Architectural Description. The
main South-West Front (Plate 82) has a recessed centre of five
unequal bays, two storeys high. The central entrance (Plate 83),
approached by a flight of steps, is flanked by paired Roman
Doric columns supporting plain stone blocks carrying an
entablature, and the window above is flanked by Ionic pilasters
with small panelled blocks in the shafts, the whole forming a
two-storey centre-piece with a crowning cornice continued
across the side bays. An engraving of 1811 by J. Greig shows
the entablature also carried across the side bays, but here the
fascia mouldings have been trimmed back. The windows are
of two transomed lights with continuous hood moulds over.
The projecting wing to the N.W. is of two storeys with
basement and attics, rising to two Dutch gables. The ground
floor has three large hung-sash windows set in original moulded openings from which mullions and transoms have been
trimmed away; above them runs a continuous hood mould.
The first floor has been largely refaced with 18th-century
ashlar and has two plain windows of Venetian type, each with
a central round-headed opening between smaller rectangular
lights. In the gables are hung-sash windows under pediments.
The projecting wing to the S.E. is of three storeys, also
surmounted by two Dutch gables forming a symmetrical
composition combining the ends of the earlier cross-wing and
the later addition on its S.E. side. The storeys are divided by
moulded string-courses; the upper string rises under the
middle of each gable to form a segmental pediment, which
was formerly over a window. The fenestration of the two
lower storeys has been completely altered. In the 17th century
there were three windows to each storey; each of the outer
windows was then replaced by two hung-sash windows,
which have themselves been replaced by mullioned and
transomed windows of c. 1900. Only on the second floor has
the earlier arrangement been preserved, with one mullioned
and transomed window with a pedimented head under each
gable and a smaller, single-light window under a segmental
pediment in the middle. A small window in each gable lights
the roof space.
The South-East Elevation, towards Chapter House Street,
is of brick, with a moulded stone band at first-floor level.
Most of the windows appear to have been remodelled at the
end of the 19th century. A lead rainwater head with fluted
bowl is dated 1795. The entrance porch was built c. 1898 and
bears the Green coat-of-arms.
The North-East Elevation (Plate 83), towards the rear courtyard, has a recessed centre, stone-faced and partly of two
storeys and partly of three storeys, all above a basement. To
each side are brick-faced wings under shaped gables; the S.E.
wing projects boldly; the N.W. wing is of only slight projection. The whole elevation has been very much altered. The
recessed centre rises to a plain gable towards the S.E. end and
is crossed by moulded string-courses of varying section, partly
removed. Below the gable are 18th-century hung-sash windows with moulded string-courses at the floor levels between.
Further to N.W. a projecting chimney-stack, now without its
upper part, is flanked by stone mullioned and transomed
windows of uncertain dates, all much restored. The basement
windows cut in the plinth below are modern; original basement windows remain towards the N.W. end above the
plinth. A doorway has no stonework older than the 19th
Fig. 43. (35) The Treasurer's House and Gray's Court.
Fig. 44. (35) The Treasurer's House and Gray's Court.
The end of the N.W. wing is of brick above a stone plinth
and finished with two shaped gables. Small 17th-century
basement windows remain above the plinth, and over the
second-floor and attic windows are 17th-century stone
pediments and labels respectively (Plate 185). Lighting the
staircase hall are plain Venetian-type windows, which are
brick counterparts of the stone windows on the S.W. front,
and to the N.W. are 19th-century wooden-framed windows,
each of three mullioned lights; pairs of 19th-century windows
light the attics above. The S.E. wing now has plain windows
with timber mullions and transoms; a sketch of c. 1790 by
Henry Cave shows it with pediments over windows of varying sizes.
Interior. The house is now entered from Chapter House
Street. A passage built c. 1900 leads to the Entrance Hall, in
which is a 17th-century fireplace with four-centred head; the
hearth has been raised. To the N.E. the accommodation has
been drastically remodelled to provide a modern flat. There
remains an 18th-century staircase with close string, square
newels and turned balusters. The Kitchen retains the original
17th-century fireplace (Plate 174), though a bake oven to the
right-hand side of it has been replaced by a modern window.
Various alterations and additions have been made to the remainder of this part of the house. The West Sitting Room has
been reduced in size by the formation of a passageway from
the entrance hall to the great hall; in it the walls are lined with
mid 18th-century panelling (Fig. 10d) surmounted by a cornice which is returned on the 17th-century beams dividing
the ceiling into six compartments. The mid 18th-century
fireplace (Plate 86) has flanking Ionic columns and a scrolled
overmantel with a figure of Leda in a niche; it was moved
here from a room which formed part of the present great hall.
The Dining Room was refitted in the mid 18th century with a
plain dado and moulded plaster panels (Fig. 10e) and has a
richly-decorated ceiling (Plate 84), the design of which is
dictated by the incorporation of the intersecting ceiling beams
of the earlier construction. The fireplace (Plate 87), with side
pilasters, contains a late 18th-century grate by Carron and is
surmounted by an overmantel added c. 1900 framing a landscape painting signed 'Rysdael 1652'. The Great Hall (Plate 81)
rises through two storeys and is open to the roof; it was
created c. 1900 by the removal of the upper floor and of
partitions. The stonework of the lower part of the walls is
exposed and that in the N.W. wall shows extensive 12th-century tooling, but whether the stones are in situ or reused is
uncertain. At the S. end modern columns support a timber-framed gallery; the present columns, the gallery and the staircase up to it are all of c. 1900, but the columns replace a
partition in which there was evidence of an earlier colonnade.
In the N.W. wall are fragments of a 17th-century stone frieze.
The fireplace, with four-centred head, has been restored and
the level of the hearth raised. The roof trusses rise from
moulded 17th-century tie-beams, reset upside down, which
originally carried three moulded longitudinal beams.
Fig. 45. (35) The Treasurer's House.
North-west of the great hall, the Drawing Room (Plate 81)
was formed c. 1900 by the removal of the partition between
the former dining room and library; the fireplace was moved
to its present central position, and the door surround from the
partition was reused at the entrance to the Court Room to
balance the doorway to the stair hall. The whole room is
lined with bolection-moulded panelling of c. 1730 (Fig. 10c)
below a decorated cornice; above the latter a second cornice
is returned around the intersecting beams which carry the
first floor. The fireplace (Plate 87) has an enriched eared surround and an overmantel framing a portrait of Lady Compton; the design is similar to one published by Batty Langley in
The Builder's Complete Assistant, 1748. The Court Room is lined
with reused 18th-century panelling but retains a plaster ceiling
cornice and a fireplace with four-centred head within a pilastered surround and with a pilastered overmantel, all of the 17th
century. The overmantel encloses a landscape by Charles
Towne (?) 1763–1840.
The Staircase Hall is lit on the N.E. by a Venetian window
inserted c. 1730 and later converted to a rear entrance, but
restored in c. 1900. The walls have fielded panels to the dado
and a plaster modillioned cornice above. The entrance to the
Great Hall is part of the restoration work of c. 1900. The
Staircase (Plate 86; Fig. 11q), of c. 1725, rises in three flights,
with quarter-landings between; the balustrade has swept
handrails terminating in volutes over turned and swirl-fluted
newels. The balusters, with reverse-tapered shafts, resemble
those in the Mansion House (44) (1726–32), and the concavesided knops are similar to those on the fine staircase at Beningbrough Hall. The first floor is lit by a Venetian window with
unorthodox features and perhaps part of the restoration work
of c. 1900.
The Queen's Room, now furnished as a bedroom but used
as a drawing room in the mid 18th century, has a rather simple
Venetian window in the S.W. wall and a sash window in the
S.E. wall. The entablatures of doorcases (Plate 85) in the N.E.
and N.W. side walls are carved with rococo enrichments with
bird-head terminals. It can be presumed that the room was
fitted out in the mid 18th century. The adjacent room to N.W.
is known as Princess Victoria's Room (Princess Victoria of Wales,
daughter of Edward VII, occupied the room in June 1900).
It is lined throughout with panelling which may well have been
placed there c. 1900, when Mr. Frank Green bought the fireplace overmantel and other fittings from the owners of
Micklegate House (1752). The doorcases in the S.E. and N.E.
walls have eared architraves, pulvinated friezes and triangular
pediments, and may have come from the first-floor drawing
room of Micklegate House. It is known that Mr. Green
acquired two elaborate doorcases with carved pulvinated
friezes which faced the head of the staircase at Micklegate
House. The doorcases in the entrance hall of the Treasurer's
House are probably the reverse sides of these doorcases and
are without doubt those illustrated in an article on Micklegate
House and annotated 'Bought by Mr. Green' (YCL, YL/D
Acc. 4 Misc. 1). The room is lit by a plain Venetian window
in the S.W. wall and a mullioned window in the N.W. wall.
In the adjacent room to N.E., known as the Tapestry Room,
the oak panelling, discovered under wallpaper in 1897, dates
from the first half of the 17th century; the fireplace in the
S.W. wall is of the same period, having a simple four-centred
arch with chamfer carried down the jambs and terminating in
run-out stops. With its plaster ceiling and cornice this room is
the one compartment remaining very much as built in the
In the S.E. cross-wing, the first-floor Gallery is reached by
the reproduction staircase from the Great Hall. This narrow
compartment may well represent the original arrangement
over the screens passage, though the timber-framed stud wall
towards the hall has been greatly altered. Originally there
would have been doors from this passage into the rooms of
the first floor formerly over the Hall. From this passage
entrances lead off to the rooms of the S.E. cross-wing. At the
S.W. is the King's Room which has a 17th-century fireplace
in the S.E. wall, of which the hearth has been raised. Since
1901 the walls have been decorated in imitation of the painted
chamber in St. William's College (34) nearby. S.E. again is a
dressing room, described as the South Bedroom, which is
wainscotted throughout in fielded panelling. Its main feature
is the fine rococo fireplace of c. 1750 in the N.W. wall (Plate
The Sitting Room, over the Dining Room, has a mid 18th-century fireplace with enriched console supports to the mantelpiece and a shell in the centre of the frieze. It may be the 'shell
mantelpiece' from Micklegate House bought in December
1897 for £7. 10s. (YCL, YL/D ACC. 4 Misc. 1). The Carron
grate is decorated with female figures and Prince of Wales
The Staircase in the S.E. wing, giving access to the basement
and all floors, was constructed about the middle of the 18th
century, when most of the refitting of this cross-wing occurred.
In a bedroom to the N.E. is an original fireplace of brick which
formerly heated a large room now sub-divided; the opening
has a three-centred brick arch with a chamfer continued from
Gray's Court. Architectural Description. The South-East
Elevation of the N.W. range (Plate 83) is of three storeys and of
six bays. The walling is of brick; that of the bottom storey is
interrupted by stone columns, of 12th-century origin but
reused, from which spring low four-centred brick arches with
long flat sub-arches. The openings have been bricked up to
give the appearance of a blind arcade. Small windows with
Yorkshire sliding sashes may be of early 19th-century origin
but have been much restored. The brickwork of the first floor
is much disturbed and the form of the original fenestration is
not apparent. The present windows are the work of Temple
Moore. At the second-floor level is a string-course above
which all the walling is of the late 18th or early 19th century.
At the end adjoining the Treasurer's House the wall rises to a
shaped half-gable (Plate 88); this was built to receive the lean-to roof of a small projection in the corner of the courtyard
probably contemporaneously with the addition of the top
storey of the range, and since removed.
At the N.E. end of the foregoing range a Wing projects S.E.
along the N.E. side of the courtyard. The front to the courtyard has mediaeval stonework, perhaps 14th-century, to the
ground floor and mid 18th-century brickwork above, with a
bay window added c. 1900. The last bay to the S.E. is of three
storeys, all of the 19th century; the ground floor appears to
have been a coach-house. The S.E. end gable is masked by
modern brickwork. The North-East Elevation (Plate 148) has
the lower storey of coursed rubble, perhaps of the 14th century,
which continues across the end of the main N.W. range of
Gray's Court. This stone wall has two simple buttresses and is
pierced by small loop-lights and a window made up with
raised moulded stones. The upper part is of brick, that is, to
the one upper floor only in the wing and the two upper floors
in the end of the main range. The first floor of the main range
has an entrance doorway reached by a flight of external stone
steps. Further N.W. is a three-storeyed brick structure with
bowed front, designed by J. B. and W. Atkinson in 1846.
The North-West Elevation of the main range of Gray's Court
continues the work of the Atkinsons (1846) but at the S.W.
end includes some mediaeval masonry with the moulded stone
base of a newel stair. The mediaeval stonework continues into
a wing projecting at the S.W. end. The significance of these
mediaeval fragments is not known; they may represent a part
of the mediaeval Treasurer's House. The South-West Elevation,
facing the Minster, is of three storeys, all stucco-rendered,
partly setting forward. To the S.E. is an early 18th-century
entrance framed between Corinthian columns supporting an
entablature with a broken pediment enclosing a bust.
The Interior was drastically altered by Temple Moore c.
1900. The ground floor, some 3 ft. below the present level of
the courtyard, is at about the same level as the basement of the
Treasurer's House and is shown on the same plan as that
basement (Fig. 43). The entrance from the courtyard leads into
a long hall, formed by Temple Moore, who removed the
central staircase built by J. B. and W. Atkinson and the
partitions which in the 19th century divided kitchen, pantry,
scullery and store-rooms. The S.E. wall is divided into bays by
reset 12th-century columns (Plate 88), as previously described.
The N.W. wall is of 12th-century masonry, the original
external face being towards the entrance hall. In it are a small
round-headed window with renewed jambs and head (Plate
183) and two bands of stones decorated with chip-carved
paterae and uniform with others in the upper part of the wall,
now covered by panelling. The S.E. end wall is the wall of the
Treasurer's House, complete with stone plinth against which
the Gray's Court range is built, thus demonstrating that the
latter is of a later date than the Treasurer's House. The entrance
hall is lined with panelling, partly of the 17th century, reused,
and partly modern imitation of 17th-century work.
On the N.W. the building was entirely remodelled by
Temple Moore. In c. 1900 he formed a long gallery over the
entrance hall where, during the latter part of the 19th century,
the Atkinsons' staircase had certainly formed a division, but
what other subdivisions there may have been is not now clear.
The gallery is lined with panelling, some early 17th-century
and some modern, set under a cornice mostly of the early
18th century. Two fireplaces with plaster overmantels and two
doorcases (Plate 85) are of the mid 18th century. The 12th-century walling on the N.W. side of the gallery is partly
visible behind the panelling; it has a string-course of carved
rectangular paterae and a corbel-table, of which one beast-head corbel can be seen. In this same wall is a small blocked
round-headed window, with its internal splays visible from
the N.W. side.
N.W. of the long gallery is the bow-fronted room of 1846
with contemporary fittings including a fireplace (Plate 179),
and at the S.W. end is a room lined with reset 17th-century
panelling and with a fireplace with a four-centred head.
The S.E. wing contains, on the first floor, the Sterne Room,
said to have been built in the second quarter of the 18th
century for Dr. Jaques Sterne; it has a later bay window added
to the S.W. The door-case (Plate 163), skirting and window
architraves are all richly carved. The fireplace surround
(Plate 85) of marble and wood has a central marble portrait
medallion of Augusta, Princess of Wales, surrounded by scrolls
and acanthus foliage. Festoons of fruit and flowers, looped
behind shells, and foliage decoration are similar in style to
contemporary work in the long gallery, but do not accord
with the marble medallion, which may be a London-made piece
set in a surround of York craftsmanship. The coved plaster
ceiling (Plate 84) is divided into circular and rectangular
compartments, with decoration of foliage, shells and scrolls,
partly repeating the motifs of the carved woodwork in the
room. This wing also contains a late 18th-century staircase
with slender turned balusters and close string. The second floor,
added in the late 18th or early 19th century, contains no
Stained Glass, inserted by Temple Moore, includes: in the
window to the main staircase, heraldry and monograms
associated with the Hitch family; in the long gallery, representations of Virtues and other subjects; late 17th and early
18th-century, most probably by Henry Gyles (J. T. Brighton
in YAJ, xli (1966)). There is also late 19th-century stained glass
by J. W. Knowles.