AN INVENTORY OF
THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL MONUMENTS
IN NORTH-EAST NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Arranged alphabetically by Parishes
1 ADDINGTON, GREAT
(OS 1:10000 a SP 97 NW, b SP 97 NE, c SP 97 SW, d SP 97 SE)
The parish covers nearly 500 hectares of land extending
in a broad strip westwards from the R. Nene, on generally rising ground between 120 ft. and 300 ft. above OD.
The higher W. part of the parish is on Boulder Clay but
near the Nene the down-cutting of the river and two
small tributary streams have exposed the underlying
Jurassic limestones, clays and sands on the steep valley
Prehistoric and Roman
c (1) Iron Age settlement (SP 946741), S.W. of the village
on Boulder Clay at 275 ft. above OD. An area of dark soil
containing pebbles and Iron Age B pottery, has been found
(BNFAS, 7 (1972), 4).
b(2) Iron Age settlement (?) (SP 950756), N.W. of the village on Boulder Clay at 225 ft. above OD. An 'Iron Age 'B'
occupation with burnt stone areas' is recorded (BNFAS, 7
a(3) Roman settlement (SP 947756), in the N.W. of the
parish, 260 ft. above OD on land sloping gently E. towards a
small stream. The underlying soil is on Boulder Clay. Ploughing has produced quantities of Roman pottery, some of Nene
Valley type, together with a scatter of limestone rubble and
roofing tiles, perhaps indicating former buildings, over an area
of 50 sq. m. Small amounts of pottery are spread over a wider
area (BNFAS, 1 (1966), 8).
b(4) Trackway (SP 96297550–96617526; Fig. 13), N.E. of
the village, roughly parallel to the 200 ft. contour along the side
of a low spur of limestone. It is orientated N.W.-S.E., crosses
the Roman road 570 almost at right angles, and is traceable on
air photographs as two parallel ditches 25 m. apart for a distance
of 400 m. (Air photographs in NMR).
b(5) Enclosures (SP 950754; Fig. 13) lies N.W. of Rectory
Farm, on the W. side of a small valley at 225 ft. above OD on
Boulder Clay. Air photographs show two small enclosures,
bounded by a wide ditch with an entrance in the N.W. side
of the larger. Two circular ditched features in the interior may
be hut sites. A possible ditched trackway traceable for 50 m.
runs from the entrance in a N.W. direction (air photographs
For possible Roman burials, see (16).
For Roman Road 570, see p. 117.
Medieval and Later
d (6) Anglo-Saxon Cemetery (SP 95717442) found before
1847 on and near Shooters' Hill, a gravel-capped spur 175 ft.
above OD, 700 m. S.S.W. of the village. Gravel diggers are
reported to have discovered many human skeletons in the area,
including three without heads. One pot, daggers, spearheads,
necklaces, etc., were found. In 1866 further skeletons were
found on the site as well as 'two limestone coffins'. These may
be Roman and perhaps came from the churchyard. (A. Meaney,
Gazetteer, 186 for all refs.; see also OS Record Cards; Whellan,
b(7) Anglo-Saxon Burial (centred SP 966752) was found
in 1883 by ironstone diggers on the slopes of the Nene Valley
near the road to Ringstead. Calcined bones were contained in
an unusual jug-shaped urn with a funnel handle, ornamented
with a rope-pattern and incised zig-zag lines. This vessel is one
of the very rare English examples of a type found in cemeteries
in the Bremen region of Germany. It is probably 5th-century
in date (BM; PSA, IX (1883), 322–3; A. Meaney, Gazetteer,
186; J. Northants. Mus. and Art Gal., 6 (1969), 43). Other urns,
spearheads and shield bosses are also said to have come from the
site (OS Record Cards). Recent field-walking in the area has
produced a few sandy hand made Saxon sherds (Beds. Arch. J.,
7 (1972), 12, Great Addington 2).
(8) Cultivation Remains. The common fields of the parish
were enclosed by Act of Parliament in 1803 (NRO, Enclosure
Map). The apparent enclosure of land here in 1607 which led
to riots (VCH Northants., III (1930), 155) must have been on a
very small scale, for in 1803 there was only one other small
enclosed field beyond the normal 'old enclosures' around the
village. Small areas of ridge-and-furrow of the former common
fields still remain, or can be traced on air photographs, over the
whole parish in the form of interlocked furlongs generally of
C-shape. Ridge-and-furrow also survives immediately E. and
N.E. of the village, alongside a small brook. It is straight or
slightly curved, within existing fields and with well-marked
headlands, and was all within old enclosures in 1803 (RAF VAP
CPE/UK 1925, 1248–54, 4338–43).