(OS 1:10000 a TL 08 SW, b TL 08 SE, c TL 07 SW, d TL 07 SE)
The parish covering 800 hectares, lies against the boundary with the old county of Huntingdonshire. All but
the S.W. part is almost level land covered with Boulder
Clay at about 240 ft. above OD. In the S.W. the ground
falls steeply towards the Thorpe Brook, here between
100 ft. and 125 ft. above OD.
For Roman Road 57a, see p. 117.
Fig. 38 Clopton (2) Moat (?)
Fig. 39 Clopton (1) Settlement remains
Medieval and Later
b(1) Settlement remains (TL 058806–077800; Fig. 39), in
and around the present village, on both sides of the main street.
All existing houses and gardens on the N. side of the street have
the remains of earlier, larger, crofts behind them, bounded by
low banks and ditches. Where there are now no houses, the
crofts extend up to the street and have building-platforms within them. To the S. of the street, in permanent pasture, are other
fragmentary remains, apparently former house sites. The
abandonment of these buildings had certainly taken place by
1840 but the precise date is not known (NRO, Tithe Map).
In the field immediately N. of the church is a large area of
earthworks consisting of at least 10 ditched closes, some with
building-platforms within them. These closes lie on the N. side
of a broad hollow-way which is on an earlier line of the existing
b(2) Moat (?) (TL 06088019; Fig. 38), in permanent pasture
150 m. N.W. of The Hall on flat land at 230 ft. above OD.
The site consists of a small rectangular island surrounded on
three sides by a ditch up to 7 m. wide and 1 m. deep. There
is a rectangular pond on the N.E. side. The interior of the site
is flat and level with the adjacent land, and the surrounding
ditch is linked to other ditches which divide the nearby areas
d(3) Moat (?) (TL 06607975), S. of the church within Ringdales Wood, on flat land at 245 ft. above OD. It comprises a
triangular area of just over one hectare which is completely
surrounded by a shallow ditch, between 3 m. and 10 m. wide
and less than 1 m. deep. The interior is flat and level with the
surrounding land, but has no entrance causeway. It has been
identified as a moated site but recent investigations have cast
doubt on this (OS Record Cards), and its purpose is unknown.
All large-scale OS plans show the site correctly.
(4) Cultivation remains. The date of enclosure of the
common fields is unknown. Ridge-and-furrow, presumably
of these fields, covers much of the parish and can be seen on
the ground or traced on air photographs. It is arranged in
end-on and interlocked furlongs and includes ridges of reversedS form, up to 500 m. long, in the S.E. corner of the parish (TL
040802). Extensive remains lie W. and S.W. of The Hall,
associated with the settlement remains (1) and the moat (2).
Here, groups of ridges are separated by deep ditches up to 3 m.
wide, presumably to improve drainage on the heavy land (Fig.
38). (RAF VAP CPE/UK 1925, 4330; 1994, 4318–20; 541/602,
b(5) Enclosures (centred TL 07308013), E. of the village on
flat land at 230 ft. above OD. Air photographs, not seen by
RCHM, apparently show three small enclosures in an E.-W.
line (BNFAS, 6 (1971), 7).