(OS 1:10000 a SP 97 NE, b TL 07 NW)
The parish, covering just over 700 hectares, lies between
the R. Nene, which forms its western side, and the old
Huntingdonshire boundary. It is a roughly rectangular
area rising gradually from the river at 100 ft. above OD
to a maximum of 250 ft. above OD in the W. Except in
the E. where limestones and sands are exposed, most of
the parish is on Boulder Clay.
Fig. 46 Denford (1) Crop-marks
Prehistoric and Roman
a(1) Settlement (SP 981763; Fig. 46), in the W. of the
parish, on the edge of the flood-plain of the R. Nene, on sand
at 125 ft. above OD. Air photographs show a compact series
of rectangular enclosures and ditches surrounded by an apparently double-ditched enclosure with a well-marked entrance
on the S.E. side (CUAP, ZE91).
a(2) Settlement (?) (SP 988763), 400 m. E. of (1) and in a
similar position. Air photographs indicate a number of very
indistinct crop-marks which include ditches and at least one
small enclosure (air photographs in NMR).
a(3) Ring Ditches (?) (SP 996762), S.E. of the village on
Boulder Clay at just over 200 ft. above OD. Three circular
crop-marks, in an E.-W. line, are said to have been photographed from the air (BNFAS, 6 (1971), 8).
For alleged Roman Road 570, see p. 116.
Medieval and Later
a(4) Windmill Mound (SP 99197626), on crest of S. side of
the Nene valley at 180 ft. above OD. It consists of a circular
mound, 15 m. in diam. and just over 1 m. high, surrounded
by a shallow ditch 3 m.-4 m. wide. The flat top, 6 m. across,
has a large hole 0.5 m. deep in its centre. The surrounding
ridge-and-furrow respects the mound. Its date is unknown.
b(5) Enclosure (TL 02127652), in the extreme E. of the
parish, N.W. of Top Lodge on Boulder Clay at 210 ft. above
OD. Although now damaged by ploughing, it originally consisted of a rectangular ditched enclosure, 40 m. by 20 m.,
orientated N.N. E.-S.S.W. The ditch was 10 m. wide and up
to 1.5 m. deep. There was no entrance. The interior was uneven,
possibly as the result of quarrying, and the whole enclosure was
respected by the surrounding ridge-and-furrow. (RAF VAP
CPE/UK 1925, 4335–6)
(6) Cultivation Remains. The common fields of the parish
were finally enclosed by an Act of Parliament of 1765 (VCH
Northants., III (1930), 192) but there had already been earlier
enclosure. Ridge-and-furrow of these fields remains on the
ground, or can be traced on air photographs, over much of the
parish. It is arranged in interlocked and end-on furlongs, mostly
of reversed-S shape. Even where ridge-and-furrow can no
longer be traced, long low ridges, formerly headlands, still
exist indicating former arable (e.g. TL 016758 and 020756).
(RAF VAP CPE/UK 1925, 4335–7; 1994, 2419–22)