(OS 1:10000 a SK 90 SE, b TF 00 NW, c TF 00 SW)
The parish covering 1800 hectares lies to one side of the
R. Welland which forms its E. and N. boundaries. Most
of the area is a flat limestone tableland between 250 ft.
and 300 ft. above OD, which ends precipitously along
the river, here flowing at about 100 ft. above OD.
c(1) Ring ditch (TF 00140422), on the N. side of Ketton
Drift near its W. end, on limestone at 300 ft. above OD. Diam.
30 m. with a possible causeway across the ditch on its S. side.
(CUAP, BCD 82–3)
c(2) Ring ditch (TF 00160418), 35 m. S.S.E. of (1) and in a
similar position. Diam. 10 m. (CUAP, BCD 82–3)
Medieval and Later
bc(3) Deer park (centred TF 022050; Fig. 47), S.E. of the A43
road, against the Wothorpe-Easton parish boundary on ground
sloping N. between 175 ft. and 275 ft. above OD. The underlying rock is Northampton Sand. It covers nearly 17 hectares
of woodland known as Wothorpe Groves.
The park was formed in 1229 when Alan Lindon obtained
Royal Licence to enclose his wood called La Loude and to
make a park. It is mentioned in 1298 and again in the middle
of the 14th century (VCH Northants., II (1906), 566). It was
called Le Grave or Graves but nothing is known of its subsequent history. The area is shown as an old enclosure on the
Enclosure Map of 1820 (NRO).
Fig. 47 Easton-On-The-Hill (3) Collyweston (8) and Wadenhoe (5) Deer parks
The park is bounded on all sides, except the S. part of the
S.E. side, by a massive bank, up to 10 m. wide and 1 m. high,
although on the W. side this has been mutilated by road works.
A relatively recent stone wall, either standing or traceable as
footings, exists along most of the circuit, and closes the gap
where no bank exists on the S.E. side. No original entrances
are visible; in a few places the bank has been damaged by later
c(4) Quarries (TF 004039 and 009037–020044), S.W., S. and
E. of the village, covering large areas. They are the remains of
workings for the well-known Collyweston Slate, the deposits
of which extended N.W. into this parish. (see Collyweston (11))
(5) Cultivation Remains. The common fields of the parish
were enclosed by Act of Parliament of 1820 (NRO, maps of
1819 and 1820). Immediately before that date, there were three
common fields around the village, although to the N. there
were extensive old enclosures within the existing strips. In the
S. half of the parish, the land W. of the King's Cliffe road had
also been enclosed, but that to the E. was open heathland. Apart
from one block of ridge-and-furrow to the W. of the village
(SK 996044), which lay in an old enclosure in 1820, the only
remains of the common fields take the form of long low sinuous
ridges up to 600 m. long and 30 m. wide. These former headlands are still visible on the ground in the former Wood Field
(TF 012034), in the former Race Field (TF 020040, 028038 and
018030) and in the former Little Field (TF 005040). (RAF VAP
CPE/UK 1891, 4049; 1925, 4117–8; 2109, 3027–33)
c(6) Stamford racecourse (TF 02060378–03540410) lies W.
of the village and extends across the county boundary into
Wothorpe parish in the Soke of Peterborough.
Racing was being organized in the area in the early 17th
century, but the present course was established in 1717 and
continued in use until 1873. The earliest course was an oval one
confined within a rectangular area of land which extended
across the parish boundary with Wothorpe, but after the en
closure of Easton-on-the-Hill in 1820 it extended W. to provide
also a straight mile-course.
The remains consist of the later mile-course, now visible as
a long narrow strip of land, almost exactly one mile (1.6 km.)
long and 40 m.-70 m. wide, bounded for the most part by
modern hedges. No trace exists of the oval course although the
boundaries of the area are still marked by modern hedges. Near
the end of the mile-course, on its N. side and just in Wothorpe
parish (TF 03480413), are the remains of the grandstand built in
1766 at the winning-post. (F. Hance, Stamford Theatre and Racecourse, (1970); NRO, Enclosure and Pre-Enclosure Maps of
Easton-on-the-Hill, 1819 and 1820)