(OS 1:10000 a SP 87 SW, b SP 86 NW)
The roughly triangular parish covers nearly 500 hectares,
N.E. of Northampton. Most of the parish is on Boulder
Clay and slopes gently to the W., between 114 m. and
137 m. above OD, except in the N.W. where the downcutting of a small S.W.-flowing stream has exposed
areas of Northampton Sand and Upper Lias Clay. The
prehistoric and Roman sites (1–3) are visible from the
air only because they are on small patches of
Prehistoric and Roman
Worked flints, said to be of Bronze Age date, have
been found at three places in the parish (SP 810715,
a(1) Double Ring Ditch or Barrow (SP
81167131; Fig. 68), immediately N. of Hannington
village, on Northampton Sand at 120 m. above OD. Air
photographs (in NMR, and CUAP, YX 95) show cropmarks of a double ring ditch with diams. of 18 m. and
40 m., which is cut by a ditch of the settlement (2). The
barrow mound survives, 28 m. in diam. and 0.5 m. high.
The inner ditch is narrow, the outer one much wider
(BNFAS, 1 (1966), 20; 4 (1970), 8; 6 (1971), 13).
a(2) Roman Settlement (SP 811712; Fig. 68),
immediately S. of (1) and in a similar position. Traces of
a ditched trackway, perhaps forming a T-shaped
junction, two small enclosures, one with a large pit
inside it and the other with a clear entrance on the N., as
well as a number of indeterminate ditches, are visible on
air photographs. A small quantity of Roman pottery has
been found in the S.E. part of the site (BNFAS, 1
(1966), 20; 4 (1970), 8; 6 (1971), 13).
a(3) Ring Ditch, Enclosures and Ditches
(SP 807712; Fig. 68), 400 m. N.W. of the church, on
Northampton Sand at 120 m. above OD. Air photographs show a large ring ditch 40 m. in diam., apparently
overlying two conjoined rectangular enclosures. The E.
enclosure has an L-shaped feature within it and various
ditches or incomplete enclosures extend W. and S.
(CUAP, YX 96, 97).
Medieval and Later
a(4) Settlement Remains (SP 812709),
formerly part of Hannington village, immediately E. of
the church, behind the existing houses on the S. side of
the main street. The site consists of a number of indeterminate embanked and ditched enclosures or
paddocks, covering an area of about 2 hectares (RAF
VAP CPE/UK 1925, 4229–30).
Fig. 69 Hannington (5) Cultivation remains
(5) Cultivation Remains. The common fields
of the parish were enclosed by Act of Parliament of
1802. Ridge-and-furrow of these fields can be seen on
the ground or traced on air photographs over almost the
entire parish, in a very pronounced pattern of end-on
furlongs, orientated N.W.-S.E., some of reversed-S
form. Only three of the surviving blocks are at rightangles to this general trend. These are S.W. of Red House
(SP 826717), and W. and S. of Rectory Farm (SP
810702 and 813700). There are well-marked headlands,
the largest of which is some 800 m. long and 25 m.
wide, running N.E. from SP 811702 (RAF VAP CPE/
UK/1925, 1363–8, 3362–8, 2227–33, 4231–3; F21
540/RAF/1312, 0239–43, 0214–8), (Fig. 69).