34 HOUGHTON, GREAT
(OS 1:10000 a SP 76 SE, b SP 75 NE)
The parish, now only covering about 370 hectares,
lies immediately S.E. of Northampton and S. of the
R. Nene which forms its N. boundary. As a result of
modern boundary revisions the parish has lost almost
half of its former area to Little Houghton to the E., and
thus much archaeological material recorded in the
literature as in Great Houghton is here listed under Little
Houghton. The parish lies on land sloping gently N.
towards the river, between 108 m. and 52 m. above OD.
The higher S. and S.E. parts are on Boulder Clay, the
centre is on limestones and sands, while to the W. and N.
of the village there are extensive areas of clay. There are
broad tracts of gravel close to the river.
Prehistoric and Roman
For finds from former parts of Great Houghton now
in Little Houghton, see Houghton, Little. A gold stater
of Addedomaros is recorded as having been found in
Great Houghton in 1866 (J. Evans, Ancient British Coins
Supplement, (1890), 577; VCH Northants., I (1902),
154). Two flint scrapers have also been found (BNFAS,
2 (1967), 6).
(1) Prehistoric Burial (unlocated), in a stone
cist, said to be Neolithic but perhaps later, was found
somewhere in the parish in 1872 (NM Records; VCH
Northants., I (1902), 139; T.J. George, Arch. Survey of
Northants., (1904), 16).
a(2) Mound (SP 794602), in the N. of the parish,
close to the R. Nene, on alluvium at 52 m. above OD.
An oval mound, 10 m. by 15 m. and 1 m. high, is still
visible. A few worked flints have been found on it
(BNFAS, 3 (1969), 5; 6 (1971), 12, Great Houghton
(10)). A resistivity survey carried out in 1974, followed
by a magnetometer survey and augering, suggested that
the mound was natural, but the existence of similar
mounds in the same area, one of which was proved to
be a Bronze Age barrow, may be of significance (Earls
Barton (2) and Cogenhoe (2)).
b(3) Ring Ditch (SP 79035864), immediately W.
of the village, on limestone at 85 m. above OD. Air
photographs (in NMR) show a ring ditch, 25 m. in diam.
Worked flints and iron slag have been found within it
(BNFAS, 6 (1971), 12, Great Houghton (4)).
b(4) Roman Settlement (SP 790588), 170 m. N.
of (3), on sand at 46 m. above OD. A quantity of late
Roman pottery and worked flints has been discovered
(BNFAS, 6 (1971), 12, Great Houghton (3)).
b(5) Roman Kilns (SP 793592), N. of the village,
on clay at 66 m. above OD. Roman pottery, kiln debris
and much limestone rubble have been found (Ant. J.,
49 (1969), 93; BNFAS, 6 (1971), 12, Great Houghton
b(6) Roman Settlement (?) (SP 795591), immediately E. of the village, on sand at 70 m. above OD.
Roman pottery, including samian, has been found in a
sewer trench (BNFAS, 7 (1972), 20). More pottery was
subsequently found nearby.
Medieval and Later
A Saxon bone needle, part of a bone comb and
bronze tweezers were found at Houghton Road in 1925
b(7) Settlement Remains (SP 792591), formerly part of Great Houghton, lay at the N. end of the
village, on either side of High Street, on clay at 60 m.
above OD. On the E. side of the street there were originally at least five embanked closes, separated from the
adjacent ridge-and-furrow by a broad hollow-way, and
containing traces of former buildings. Within one of
these closes was a large circular mound. These have
largely been destroyed by modern playing fields. To the
W. of High Street were other embanked closes, all with
traces of former house sites at their E. ends. These too
have now been destroyed and only a short length of a
ditch or hollow-way survives (CBA Group 9, Newsletter,
3 (1973), 32). The remains were already devoid of
buildings before the mid 19th century (NRO, Tithe Map
of Great Houghton, 1839; RAF VAP CPE/UK/1926,
4017–8; 1994, 1188–9).
b(8) Fishponds (SP 797589), E. of Great Houghton, on Boulder Clay at 76 m. above OD. They consist
of two roughly rectangular embanked ponds, 30–40 m.
long and 30 m. wide, with a smaller pond, 30 m. by 15
m., to the N. A broad hollow-way leading from the
village through the adjacent ridge-and-furrow passes to
the N. of them (RAF VAP CPE/UK/1926, 4017–8;
FSL 6565, 1852–4).
(9) Cultivation Remains. The common fields
of the parish were enclosed by agreement in 1612, and
there were apparently some small-scale enclosures later,
in 1618 (VCH Northants., IV (1937), 262).
Ridge-and-furrow of these fields exists on the ground
or can be traced from air photographs over almost the
entire parish, as well as those parts of Hackleton to the
S. and Little Houghton to the E. which were formerly
part of Great Houghton. It is arranged in end-on and
interlocked furlongs, many of reversed-S form. In the S.
of the parish (at SP 791578), on a steep N.W.-facing
slope, the underlying Estuarine Series of limestones and
marls have slipped down the hillside, producing a series
of asymmetrical ridges. The later ridge-and-furrow rides
over these, at right-angles to them, giving an unusual
effect (RAF VAP CPE/UK/1926, 2014–21, 4015–20;
CPE/UK/1994, 1186–91, 2183–5, 3176–9; F21 543/
RAF/943, 0058–62; F22 543/RAF/943, 0058–62; F22