Fig. 51 Cottesbrooke
(6) Garden remains
(OS 1: 10000 a SP 67 SE, b SP 77 SW)
The parish, covering about 450 hectares, is made up of the
land of two medieval settlements (Fig. 14) but the actual
boundary between them is not known with certainty.
Most of the area was the land of Great Creaton, but a strip
along the S. part belonged to the village of Little Creaton
(10), now deserted, and was once part of Spratton parish.
The parish lies mainly across the valley of a small
S.E.-flowing brook cut into Upper Lias Clay between
140 m. and 80 m. above OD. In the S.W. the land rises
steeply to a flat-topped ridge capped with Northampton
Sand, and falls again into the clay valley of another small
S.E.-flowing stream which forms the parish boundary
there. Both Great and Little Creaton lie on the steep hillside
above the main stream.
Prehistoric and Roman
Part of a Mesolithic or later core is recorded from the
parish (NM Records).
b(1) Ring ditches (SP 732713), in the S.E. of the parish
and lying across the boundary with Spratton, on clay and
Northampton Sand at 84 m. above OD. Air photographs
taken in 1967 (not seen by RCHM) are said to show
various cropmarks including two small ring ditches (OS
b(2) Iron Age settlement (?) (SP 708715), S. of the
village, on Northampton Sand, at 135 m. above OD. A
scatter of Iron Age pottery has been found (Northants.
Archaeol., 12 (1977), 212).
b(3) Iron Age and Roman settlement (SP 728723), in
the E. of the parish, on the summit of a ridge capped by
Northampton Sand, at 115 m. above OD. A considerable
amount of Iron Age and Roman pottery has been
discovered (Northants. Archaeol., 12 (1977), 212).
b(4) Roman settlement (?) (SP 734722), 600 m. E. of
(3), on gravel at 85 m. above OD. Roman pottery has been
noted (Northants. Archaeol., 12 (1977), 212; for Saxon
pottery from this site see (9)).
b(5) Roman settlement (?) (SP 729720), 300 m. S.E. of
(3), on Upper Lias Clay at 95 m. above OD. A small scatter
of Roman pottery is recorded (Northants. Archaeol., 12
b(6) Roman settlement (?) (SP 710723), immediately
N.E. of the village, on clay at 107 m. above OD. A scatter
of Roman sherds has been noted (inf. A. E. Brown).
b(7) Roman settlement (?) (SP 711730), close to the N.
boundary of the parish, on clay at 114 m. above OD. A
quantity of Roman pottery is recorded from this site (inf.
A. E. Brown).
b(8) Roman settlement (?) (SP 705725), N. of the
village, on clay at 122 m. above OD. Roman pottery has
been found in this area (inf. A. E. Brown).
Medieval and Later
b(9) Saxon settlement (?) (SP 734722), on the same site
as the Roman settlement (4) above. Sherds of Saxon pottery
have been discovered (Northants. Archaeol., 12 (1977), 212).
b(10) Deserted village of Little Creaton (SP 712716;
Figs. 14 and 52), lies on a steep N.E.-facing slope a little to
the S.E. of Great Creaton village, on Upper Lias Clay
between 100 m. and 130 m. above OD. Little is known of
its history because for most of its life it appears to have been
included either with Spratton parish of which it was once
part or with Great Creaton.
It is not mentioned by name in Domesday Book, but has
been identified as the small manor of Creaton held by
William de Cahagnes of the Count of Mortain, in which
case it then had a recorded population of four (VCH
Northants., I (1902), 325). There is no further reference to
its size until the early 18th century when Bridges noted
eight surviving houses (Hist. of Northants., I (1791), 564).
However it is certain that by this time the village site itself
was already deserted and that these houses included the
present Creaton Grange Farm, Stone Cottage and Orchard
Fig. 52 Creaton (10) Deserted village of Little Creaton
The remains of the village are in poor condition, and
little can be deduced from them. They seem to consist of a
series of long closes extending S.E. from the existing road,
bounded by low scarps up to 0.5 m. high and some of them
sub-divided. In the centre ('a' on plan) is a large rectangular
pond, and on the S.E. of the site is a long water-course,
mainly natural, but which seems to have been dammed at
its S.W. end to form two irregular ponds ('b' on plan; RAF
VAP CPE/UK/1994, 1373–4).
(11) Cultivation remains. The common fields of Great
Creaton were enclosed by an Act of Parliament of 1782.
Though no map seems to have survived, the Enclosure
Award (Central Library, Northampton) indicates that
there were four open fields in 1782. These were Upper
Field in the N.W., Middle Field to the N. and N.E. of the
village, West Field to the S.W., and Nether Field
occupying the long E. projection of the parish. Ridge-and-furrow of these fields can be traced on air photographs over
large areas, though little remains on the ground. Two end-on furlongs are partly preserved in the N.E. of the parish in
Creaton Covert (SP 720725) and later artificial fox-earths
have been inserted into the ridges. Further S.E. (SP 723722)
the ends of another furlong are preserved in a narrow belt
of scrub along a field boundary. Elsewhere air photographs
show blocks of interlocked and end-on furlongs carefully
adapted to the broken valley sides with their numerous
The date of the enclosure of the common fields of Little
Creaton is unknown. Ridge-and-furrow of these fields
exists on the ground S. and S.E. of the site of the deserted
village (10) and elsewhere air photographs show traces of
end-on and interlocked furlongs (RAF VAP CPE/UK/1994,