(OS 1: 10000 a SP 57 SE, b SP 67 SW)
The parish, covering nearly 1340 hectares, is E. of Watling
Street which forms its W. boundary. It lies mainly on
undulating clayland between 100 m. and 160 m. above
OD, drained by a series of small streams flowing N.W. to
the R. Avon. The settlement remains (7), which contribute
much towards an understanding of the village's
development, constitute the main monument in the parish.
Prehistoric and Roman
A silver coin of Hadrian was found at Crick before 1712
(J. Morton, Nat. Hist. of Northants. (1712), 532).
a(1) Enclosure (SP 584710), in the S.W. of the parish on
Boulder Clay at 144 m. above OD. Air photographs (not
seen by RCHM) are said to show a small rectangular
ditched enclosure (Northants. Archaeol., 12 (1977), 229).
a(2) Iron Age settlement (?) (SP 581714), S.W. of the
village and immediately E. of the M1, on Middle Lias Clay
at 135 m. above OD. Iron Age pottery, burnt stone and
dark soil have been found here (CBA Group 9, Newsletter, 7
(1977), 29; Northants. Archaeol., 11 (1976), 183).
a(3) Roman settlement (?) (SP 587725; Fig. 53), within
Crick village, N.W. of the church, on glacial gravel at
130 m. above OD. Roman pottery is recorded from this
area (CBA Group 9, Newsletter, 7 (1977), 29).
a(4) Roman settlement (?) (SP 577733), W. of the
village, on the E. side of the M1, on glacial gravel at 120 m.
above OD. Roman pottery and building stone have been
found on the edge of the motorway cutting which probably
destroyed the rest of the site (CBA Group 9, Newsletter, 7
(1977), 29; Northants. Archaeol., 11 (1976), 191).
a(5) Roman settlement (?) (SP 581734), 500 m. E.N.E.
of (4), on glacial gravel at 120 m. above OD. Roman
pottery has been found in this area (CBA Group 9,
Newsletter, 7 (1977), 29; Northants. Archaeol., 11 (1976),
For Roman Road 1f, Watling Street, see Appendix.
Medieval and Later
In the early part of the 18th century it was recorded that
in 'a part of the Lordship called Portlow are several
eminences which have the appearance of tumuli' (J.
Bridges, Hist. of Northants., I (1791), 558). No trace of these
can now be seen.
a(6) Saxon burials (?) (SP 569732), in the Roman road,
on the W. boundary of the parish, on alluvium at 106 m.
above OD. When a section was cut across the road in 1947
a female skeleton, lying on its back and orientated E.–W.,
was discovered buried at the centre of the road. A second
pit some 1.75 m. to the N. contained a small human skull,
and the skeleton of a dog. There were no grave goods,
except perhaps for two pieces of belemnite found close to
the human skeleton (Rugby School Magazine (1948), 34–7).
More recently another burial, said to be Saxon, was
discovered during roadworks on the modern A5 a little to
the N.E. and E. of the Roman road (SP 568734; CBA
Group 9, Newsletter, 7 (1977), 29). Saxon cemeteries have
been found on Watling Street a few miles to both N. and S.
and these remains are perhaps of the same period (see
a(7) Settlement remains (SP 589726; Fig. 53), formerly
part of Crick village, lie immediately N.E. and E. of the
church, on land sloping gently N.E., at about 133 m.
above OD. The earthworks are not impressive, for they
consist only of a series of long closes bounded either by low
scarps or by modern hedge-banks. Most of these have
ridge-and-furrow within them which, in some cases at
least, is secondary. Two hollow-ways pass between them.
A disturbed area at their S.W. ends shows no recognisable
The date of abandonment of these remains is unknown
though it is possible that the 'wasting' of two halls, a
cottage and a 'sheepscote' carried out in 1380 by one
Andrew Gyldford who then 'had the keeping of the manor
of Crick ... owing to the minority of the ... Earl (of
Nottingham)' may relate to this area (Cal Inq. Misc. iv,
The existence of the earthworks perhaps throws some
light on the origins of the village's layout as it is now. The
modern street plan of Crick consists of a peculiar
arrangement of loops on either side of the present main
E.–W. road. However if the earthworks noted here are
interpreted as former house-sites and closes along an old
N.W.–S.E. road approximately followed by the present
footpath, then it can be postulated that the village
originated along two roughly parallel streets running
S.E.–N.W. The westernmost of these was on the present
High Street–Church Street alignment which possibly
continued N.W. from the bend in the Yelvertoft road. The
other street, to the E., would have been along Laud's Road
and The Marsh, and across The Green then through the
earthworks and around the E. end of Oak Lane and finally
along Drayson Lane into the Yelvertoft Road (Air
photographs in NMR).
a(8) Fishponds (SP 591720), on the S. side of the village,
S. of Boat Horse Lane on Middle Lias Clay at 140 m. above
OD. Two rectangular depressions lying parallel to each
other and 0.5 m. deep are probably medieval fishponds.
There are traces of later ridge-and-furrow lying within
them (CBA Group 9, Newsletter, 7 (1977), 29).
Fig. 53 Crick (3) Roman settlement, (7) Medieval settlement remains
a(9) Windmill mound (SP 59157188), S. of the village,
on Middle Lias Clay at 152 m. above OD. A low mound
1 m. high and 12 m. in diam. is the site of a windmill
which still existed in the early 19th century (OS 1st ed. 1
in. map (1834); CBA Group 9, Newsletter, 7 (1977), 29).
(10) Cultivation remains. The common fields of the
parish were enclosed by an Act of Parliament of 1776.
Ridge-and-furrow of these fields exists on the ground or
can be traced on air photographs over most of the parish so
that the original pattern is almost wholly recoverable. It is
arranged mainly in rectangular interlocked furlongs
though on the steep slopes, around Crack's Hill for
example (SP 595735), it lies across the contours in a
radiating pattern. The ridges are still exceptionally well
preserved in many places, especially N. and S. of the village
(e.g. at SP 590734 and 589715), and as a result a number of
details which have been destroyed elsewhere are still visible.
In a few places two end-on furlongs have been thrown
together and ploughed as one. A particularly good example
lies N.W. of the village (SP 584735) where two curving
end-on furlongs have been joined up, thus producing a
double bend in the ridges as they cross the original
headland. Elsewhere hollow trackways through the fields
still exist (e.g. SP 582715). Examples also occur of double
headlands; the original headland has been abandoned,
perhaps to provide extra pasture at some time, and the
plough, turning 10 m.–15 m. short of this, has created a
new headland. These occur S.W. and S.E. of the village (SP
582720 and 595715). Another feature of the ridge-and-furrow here is the existence of small shallow quarry pits,
probably for gravel, which have been dug through the
earlier ridge-and-furrow but have subsequently been
reploughed in ridges (e.g. SP 584715; CBA Group 9,
Newsletter, 6 (1976), 28; 7 (1977), 29; RAF VAP
CPE/UK/1994, 1356–61, 1474–9, 1472–7; 106G/UK/636,
3440–1, 4441–4; 541/15, 4378–83).