(OS 1: 10000a SP 55 NE, b SP 65 NW)
The parish, covering some 1050 hectares, lies on the S. side
of the R. Nene which forms its N. boundary. A small
tributary of the Nene flows E. across the S. part of the
parish and then turns N.E. to form part of the E. boundary
before meeting the Nene in the N.E. corner. Both these
watercourses are cut into the underlying Jurassic Clay
between 90 m. and 120 m. above OD, producing an
undulating landscape. However to the W. and S. the land
rises steeply to around 180 m. above OD where the
overlying Northampton Sand forms broad flat uplands. A
number of minor streams cutting back into these higher
areas have created steep-sided combes.
There were three medieval settlements in the parish
though one, Snorscomb (3), is now deserted. The others are
Great Everdon (4, 5) and Little Everdon (2), the latter
having extensive settlement remains around it. A number
of minor earthworks on the periphery of the parish have
been recorded in detail elsewhere and are not listed below
(Northants. Archaeol., 12 (1977), 155–76).
Prehistoric and Roman
A Neolithic flint axe was found in the parish in 1889 (T.
J. George, Arch. Survey of Northants., (1904), 14; NM).
Two middle to late Bronze Age palstaves, one looped and
one unlooped, are recorded from the parish, although the
former may be that listed under Staverton (NM; Plate 22).
(1) Roman settlement (?) (unlocated). During the 19th
century Roman coins of Constantine, Constantius and
Magnentius together with ashes and mortar were ploughed
up in a field called Longsmall. The latter cannot be
identified (G. Baker, Hist. of Northants., I (1822–30), 368;
OS Record Cards).
Fig. 64 Everdon
Medieval settlements and estates
Medieval and Later
a(2) Settlement remains (centred SP 595581; Figs. 64
and 65), formerly part of Little Everdon, lie in and around
the existing hamlet, on Middle Lias Clay between 107 m.
and 122 m. above OD. Nothing is known of the
population of Little Everdon in the medieval or later
periods as in all the surviving records the hamlet is included
with Great Everdon. Bridges (Hist. of Northants., I (1791),
58) noted that in about 1720 there were 17 houses, about
the same number as today. The earthworks suggest that it
was somewhat larger at one time, but this cannot be
The remains fall into a number of separate parts.
Immedately S.E. of the hall ('a' on plan) the W. part of the
existing paddock has a sunken building platform on its S.
side, lying above a broad hollow-way 1.5 m. deep which
can be traced for some 80 m. to the E. Further S. ('b' on
plan) is another small field with a number of indeterminate
earthworks which indicate that buildings once stood there.
On the S. is another hollow-way with a massive S. side
4 m. high and with more definite indications of former
buildings on its N. side in the form of rectangular
embanked or scarped platforms. The hollow-way runs E.
and meets an existing lane.
Further W., on the N. side of the small valley ('c' on
plan), are traces of former closes bounded by low scarps
extending down the hillside; to the N. ('d' on plan) are
other very disturbed earthworks, also possibly the sites of
buildings. From these a hollow-way, damaged by later
quarrying, extends W. up the hillside through ridge-and-
furrow. The land to the S. of this hollow-way, between it
and the road, was known as The Little Coneygree in 1863
(NRO, Map of Everdon). The whole hamlet is surrounded
by ridge-and-furrow which is well preserved, especially in
the park to the W. of the hall.
a(3) Deserted village of Snorscomb (SP 598561; Figs.
64 and 66), lies in the bottom of a broad open N.-facing
combe, cut back into the Northampton Sand ridge to the S.
It is situated at the junction of two small streams, on a
narrow band of Marlstone Rock between 114 m. and
122 m. above OD.
Fig. 65 Everdon (2) Settlement remains at Little Everdon
Snorscomb is first mentioned in a Saxon Charter of 944
(BCS 792) where part of the bounds of its land is noted. It is
next listed in Domesday Book of 1086 as held by the Count
of Mortain and divided into two small manors of half and
one and a half virgates respectively, with a total recorded
population of only four (VCH, Northants., I (1902), 326,
329). In the reign of Henry II the place was assessed at four
virgates (VCH, op. cit., 371). Little is known of its history
after that time, beyond the descent of the manors. It is
presumably included in all the national taxation records
with Everdon. In 1531 the larger manor was purchased by
the Knightley family of Fawsley who were soon prosecuted
for the enclosure of 200 acres of land and the destruction of
nine houses there (PRO, E1 59/298; E368/292). In the early
18th century Bridges (Hist. of Northants., I (1791), 61)
described it as 'a hamlet of five houses, including the mill,
but reputed to have been formerly a more considerable
village'. By the early 19th century (OS 1st ed. 1 in. map
(1834)) only the farm and a single cottage, both of which
still stand, are shown, together with the mill which lies
500 m. to the N. on a larger stream (K.J. Allison et al., The
Deserted Villages of Northants. (1966), 46). The original
boundaries of the land of Snorscomb are shown on a map
of the area of 1816 (NRO, reused as a Tithe Map in 1839;
The remaining earthworks lie E. of the present farm and
are mainly confined to a small triangular area between the
two streams which meet a little to the N.W. Both streams
are in small steep-sided valleys which appear to have been
used as roads at some time and are thus partly hollow-ways. The main feature is a broad hollow-way up to 2 m.
deep running S. from the existing cottage, which itself
stands in the hollow. The hollow-way can be traced for
some 60 m. to the S.E., after which it fades out. On the W.
side of the hollow-way is a series of well-marked house
platforms bounded by low scarps and stone-rubble walls
up to 0.25 m. high. Below them to the W. again are small
paddocks or plots edged by scarps. To the E. of the hollow-way only one possible building platform is visible but the
area is divided into irregular paddocks. N. of the cottage,
beyond the stream, are other earthworks, possibly part of
the village, but damaged by later stone quarries which have
been dug into them. Further S.W., and S. of the farm, are
two ponds, the westernmost being deep and rectangular
with a large surrounding bank. Another, shallower pond
lies N.E. of the village site. Various other track-ways, not
all of the same date, are visible running through
surrounding ridge-and-furrow towards the village. An
arable field to the N. of the present farm is said to produce
large quantities of stone when ploughed and some medieval
pottery has also been discovered there (local inf.; RAF VAP
CPE/UK/1994, 3154–6; CUAP, SA46).
a(4) Pond and settlement remains (SP 59505735),
immediately S. of Great Everdon church, in a small valley
on clay at about 170 m. above OD. The valley floor here
appears to have been widened and deepened to form a large
depression about 1 m. deep. It may originally have been a
fishpond. A little to the S.W. are two well-defined hollow-ways, and an area of disturbed ground possibly the sites of
former buildings (RAF VAP 541/341, 3241–2).
a(5) Settlement remains (SP 596573), immediately E. of
the church, on the S. side of the village, on clay at 105 m.
above OD. At least three embanked closes extend S. from
the existing gardens of some of the houses in the main street
(air photographs in NMR).
(6) Cultivation remains. The common fields of Great
and Little Everdon were enclosed by an Act of Parliament
of 1763. Ridge-and-furrow of these fields exists on the
ground or can be traced on air photographs over most of
the parish, except along the edges of the stream which
forms the parish boundary with Weedon Bec, where there
was presumably always valuable meadowland. Probably as
a result of the generally rolling nature of the land, with no
steep slopes, the ridge-and-furrow is arranged in a pattern
of interlocked furlongs of rectangular form. It is extremely
well preserved in and around the park of Everdon Hall (SP
592582; partly on Fig. 65) and further W. (at SP 587583)
where there are a number of interlocked furlongs with
massive curved ridges up to 1 m. high.
The date of the enclosure of the common fields of the
now deserted village of Snorscomb (3) is unknown but it
was probably in the mid 16th century for soon after 1531
the Knightley family who then owned the manor enclosed
200 acres of land. This is about a third of the area of the
land attributable to the village of Snorscomb (Fig. 64).
Ridge-and-furrow of these fields exists on the ground or
can be traced on air photographs over much of the land of
Snorscomb except on the very steep slopes to the S. of the
village. It is arranged in end-on and interlocked furlongs,
except in the higher S.W. part (around SP 585555) where it
radiates outwards around the projecting spurs. Large areas
of well-preserved ridge-and-furrow exist N. and S. of the
site of the village (RAF VAP CPE/UK/1994, 1162–7, 1270–4,