Bulwick is a parish of 872 hectares, crossed by
Willow Brook. In the Middle Ages it consisted of
two settlements, Bulwick and Henwick, on either
side of the stream, but apparently they formed a
single parish. The hall, called Place House in 1677
(NRO, T(B) 265/1), was in Henwick on the W.
side of the brook, but no manorial site is known
on the E. side. A large part of the former village of
Henwick has been engulfed by the park since the
late 17th century.
From the 13th century the manor was held by
the family resident at Harringworth, first de
Cantelupe, then la Zouche and finally, from the
early 17th century, Tryon. The manor house was
apparently a subsidiary dwelling to that at
Harringworth. In 1676 it was remodelled, new
gardens were laid out and, from the early 18th
century, it replaced Harringworth as the chief
residence of the Tryons.
A charter for a fair and market was obtained in
1293 (Cal. Chart. (1257–1300), p. 432), but this
seems to have been of little importance. The village
had 99 families in the 1673 Hearth Tax assessment,
and 92 in 1801, a high population for the area of
the parish, giving about 20 acres (8.3 hectares) per
family. This is reflected in the relative poverty of
the village, as many as 60 per cent of families being
exempt from Hearth Tax; there were at this time
few houses of any size, a state which continued
into the early 19th century. The parish was
enclosed in 1778, but the few outlying farm-houses
are 19th-century. The isolated group of houses at
SP 976931 represents a settlement of at least the
18th century, and was originally extra-parochial.
By 1845 a brick kiln had been established in the S.
of the parish, using Lower Estuarine clays (mon.
Fig. 33 Bulwick Village Map
(1) The Parish Church of St. Nicholas (Fig. 34; Plate
19) stands on the N. side of the village street. It consists
of a Chancel, Nave with North and South Aisles, West
Tower with spire, and a South Porch. The walls are
mostly of coursed rubble with freestone dressings, but
the tower and the S. wall of the S. aisle are of ashlar.
The chancel roof is steeply pitched and stone-slated; the
nave and aisle roofs are flat-pitched. Wide piers in the
nave arcades indicate a church transeptal in origin,
probably of the early 13th century. This church had an
aisle, at least on the N., as attested by an early 13th-century pier in the nave with a capital having stiff-leaf
decoration. The present chancel was built later in the
13th century, presumably replacing an earlier narrower
one. In the early years of the 14th century alterations
were made to the openings in the N. wall of the nave.
The arch to the former transept was rebuilt, and the
arches of the arcade were converted from round to
pointed form and the responds refashioned. The first bay
on the S. was also entirely rebuilt in the early 14th
century. Alterations continued to be made to the church
in the late 14th century or possibly in the early 15th
century: the two W. bays of the S. arcade, the W. tower
and S. porch were built and both aisles were
Fig. 34 Bulwick Church
In 1863 the church was restored. A vestry was added
on the N. and the chancel re-roofed. Most of the
furnishings and fittings date from this period (diary of
the Rev. Henry Holdich, rector, covering years 1861–81,
in rectory). The late 14th-century tower with spire is the
main architectural feature of the church.
Architectural Description – The Chancel of the late
13th century was heavily restored in 1863. It has single-stage buttresses at the angles, a modern eaves course and
a rebuilt parapeted gable. The large E, window (Plate 37)
has a moulded rear arch with side shafts and a label with
head stops; the cusped intersecting tracery has been
restored. In the N. wall is a late 13th-century window
with Y-tracery. On the S. is a window with trefoil-headed lights and a quatrefoil in the head; the second
window repeats that on the N. The priest's door is a
modern insertion (Clarke, Churches). The chancel arch is
14th-century, of two chamfered orders, the inner carried
on semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals and
high bases, and the outer continuous. On the soffit of the
arch is the groove, now filled in, of a former wooden
tympanum which was supported on a beam, the
housings for which are traceable.
The Nave has a N. arcade of early 13th-century origin,
but with alterations of the 14th century. A wide pier
between the first two bays probably received the W. wall
of a former transept. This first arch was modified in the
14th century and semi-octagonal responds with roll-and-hollow moulded capitals were added; the arch of two
chamfered orders has a chamfered label with mask stops
and a carved male head, probably of the 13th century,
reset. The second pier is squat and octagonal with a
moulded capital enriched with stiff-leaf ornament, and is
early 13th-century (Plate 13). The responds of the centre
and W. arch of the arcade have crudely carved capitals
probably of the 14th century, but the base of the eastern
is water-holding and 13th-century. A change in masonry
below the E. respond capital may indicate the level of
rebuilding in the 14th century. Both arches are wide and
pointed; the lower parts of earlier round-headed arches
survive giving rise to the present irregular shape (Fig.
35). The S. arcade has a wide pier similar to that on the
N., but the first arch is taller. It has capitals
corresponding with those on the N. and the label has
male and female head stops. The two late 14th-century
W. bays are tall with an octagonal pier and matching
reponds with moulded capitals and chamfered bases; the
arches are hollow-and-wave moulded. The late 14th-century clearstorey has on the N. plain eaves and four
rectangular windows each of two lights with ogee heads
and trefoiled cusping. The S. wall of the clearstorey has a
plain parapet and six windows uniform with those on the
N., but the sill of the first is steeply sloping.
The North Aisle, rebuilt in c. 1400, has tall narrow
buttresses of two weathered stages. The wall is uneven
and shows evidence of later strengthening. The windows
have ogee trefoil-headed lights with vertical tracery and
quatrefoils in the heads. The N. doorway has reset 13th-century jambs comprising attached and detached shafts,
annulets and moulded capitals; the head, of two multi-moulded orders with a moulded label and a female head
stop, is early 14th-century and meets the earlier jambs
awkwardly. In the S.E. corner of the aisle is a rood loft
stair with a small lancet above the entrance; it is late
14th-century. The South Aisle has a rubble E. wall
probably of the 13th century but the later S. wall is in
finely jointed ashlar. The windows on the E. and S.
repeat the design of those in the N. aisle except that the
main lights have cinquefoil heads. The S. doorway has a
hollow-and-wave moulded head, imposts and moulded
jambs; it is probably contemporary with the aisle, but
the workmanship is crude. In the W. wall is a reset 13th-century window with trefoiled lights and a quatrefoil-roundel in the head.
Fig. 35 Bulwick Church N. arcade showing form of earlier arches
The West Tower (Plate 20), c. 1400, is in four external
stages with clasping buttresses and battlemented parapet.
The tower arch has two chamfered orders on the E., the
outer continuous, the inner with half-round responds
having moulded capitals and bases. The W. window has
a quatrefoil in the head flanked by short mullions; higher
in the wall, on each face, is a quatrefoil opening within a
rectangle. The belfry has tall twin openings each with
two cinquefoil lights with quatrefoils in the head, and a
transom with cusping below. Beneath the parapet is a
band of recessed quatrefoils: at the corners are gargoyles.
The octagonal spire with rolls on the arrises has two tiers
of lucarnes, the lower of two lights, the upper of one
light set on the diagonal faces, all with crocketed gables.
At the top is a circular boss and a weathercock.
The South Porch is late 14th-century and has two-stage
diagonal buttresses and plain parapets. The archway has a
four-centred, hollow-and-wave moulded head, the inner
order carried on half-round responds with moulded
capitals and bases. Inside are stone benches.
The nave Roof, flat-pitched with short king-posts, is
perhaps 17th-century. The simple aisle roofs are partly
Fittings – Bells: five; 1st, 2nd and 3rd with Latin
inscriptions, dated respectively 1629, 1629 and 1630; 4th,
modern; 5th with churchwardens' names, 1648. Bracket:
in N. aisle, N.E. corner, chamfered stone ledge below
monument (5), medieval. Brasses: small rectangular plates
in nave (1), of Savile and Catherine Hatfield, January
1729, with rhyming verse; (2), of Catherine Atterton,
1783; (3), of William Etgos, April 1482, and Margaret his
wife, black-letter inscription, fragmentary plate; (4), of
William Walter, February 1817, with rhyming verse.
Coffin lid: loose in S. aisle, fragment, cross paty at head,
13th-century. Font: circular bowl tapering steeply to a
small circular stem, post-medieval. Glass: in N. aisle, N.
wall (1), fragments including canopy work, foliage and
silver-stain decoration; (2), fragments including fleur-de-lis decoration, covered cups and grisaille foliage; all 15th-century.
Monuments and Floor slabs. Monuments: in chancel – on
E. wall (1), of Rev. Charles Nettleton, January 1718/19,
and three children, and Sarah his wife, stone tablet with
bolection surround. On N. wall (2), of Rev. Francis
Jackson, 1770, rector for 49 years; (3), of Mary Jackson,
1732; (4), of Jeremiah Jackson, March 1731, husband of
Mary; the last three are plain stone tablets. In the N.
aisle, N.E. corner (5), of John Sculthorp, 1744. black-painted tablet with inscription on shield, crossed palm
decoration above and drapery below. In S. aisle (6), of
Henry Fowkes who died in 1612 (PRO, Prob. 11/120)
and Jane his wife, 1609 (Plate 64), alabaster composition
comprising two confronting kneeling figures, he in
Greenwich armour, she in high-collared bodice, with
double-sided prayer desk bearing a defaced shield and an
inscription 'Nobis vita solus Christus est'; the classical
surround consists of a cornice on brackets with jewel
ornament and side pilasters enriched with pikes, axes,
fruit and ribbons, and behind the figures is an inscription
panel; above the cornice is an oval with an achievement
of arms of Fowkes. Floor slabs: two in chancel, one
inscribed 'F.J.'. Piscinae: in chancel (1), combined with
sedilia, two-centred headed recess with trefoil cusping,
miniature responds, capitals and bases, beneath a
crocketed gable; the projecting shelf decorated with leaf
ornament, sexfoil bowl, 14th-century (Plate 40). In S.
aisle (2), plain recess with slightly ogee head and
quatrefoil sinking, medieval. Sedilia: in chancel, three
graduated seats with moulded heads, detached shafts,
beneath crocketed gables and pinnacles, 14th-century
(Plate 40). Weather-vane: cock, gilt. Miscellanea: loose in S.
aisle, medieval architectural fragments including the
spandrels of a trefoil-headed opening, probably from a
recess: a moulded voussoir, 14th-century.
(2) Bulwick Hall (Fig. 36; Plate 104). In 1272 the
manor house at Bulwick was described as 'a hall and
great chamber and kitchen built of cut stone and roofed
with stone; and two other houses, being a barn and a
cowhouse, thatched with straw' (PRO, C133/2; NRO,
T(B) 2). Nothing remains of this house and its site is
unknown. From the 13th century onwards the manor
was held first by the Cantelupes and later by the
Zouches, whose main residence was at Harringworth.
Both manors were bought by Francis Foxley, and after
his death in 1617 they were bought by Moses Tryon, a
London merchant whose father Peter had come from
Flanders in the 1560s. Bulwick continued to be the lesser
house. In 1646 it was settled on the wife of Moses' son
Peter who bought Seaton in Rutland in the same year
and lived at Harringworth, his son James being a minor.
Fig. 36 Bulwick (2) Bulwick Hall
Apparently in connection with James' coming of age in
1676 the house was partly rebuilt and enlarged; new
gardens were laid out, and the house was formally
conveyed to James. This new building forms the main
range of the present house, but most of its architectural
details have not survived. Before the rebuilding the
house had, in 1673, 15 hearths but in 1694 it had 40
rooms, of which about ten may not have been heated
(PRO, E179/254/14; NRO, T(B) 567). At this date it had
on the ground floor a hall and lobby, perhaps two
parlours, and a suite consisting of a withdrawing room, a
bedroom and closet. Most of these rooms were doubtless
in the main range, the service rooms being behind and to
the N. The arcade, with its central gateway and flanking
entrance lodges, may have provided a covered approach
to the door at the E. end of the long range; inside the
progression may have been from the lobby and hall on
the E. to a parlour and the suite of rooms on the W.
James Tryon occupied his new house until his death in
1685. His heir Charles was a minor and the house was
sub-divided and partly let. Charles died in 1705 leaving a
three-year-old son as his heir, and it was this second
Charles Tryon who modernized the house between c.
1723 and his death in 1747. Stylistic evidence and a few
surviving bills suggest a date around 1730 for this work.
An up-to-date architectural character was imposed on the
17th-century building with the introduction of new
windows, and a new doorway on the axis of the garden.
If this doorway is an innovation, it implies that the
interior was replanned at this time. A large garden room
was built at the S. end of the arcade. The house then
remained the seat of the head of the family, the
Harringworth house having been largely demolished.
In 1805 Thomas Tryon employed W. D. Legg of
Stamford to design a new large room forming a small
wing at the S.W. end of the house, and to modernize the
service area. The work was done by John Boyfield of
Stamford, with slating and plastering by John Tillson,
also of Stamford, at a cost of £1378.14s. for the wing
and £420 for the other work. After Legg's death in 1806
the work seems to have been supervised by John Walters
(NRO, T(B) 636). About the same time an orangery was
built and in the house a plaster ceiling installed above the
staircase, probably by John Tillson.
The house was given its present form in c. 1838 when
the service area to the N. of the 17th-century range was
entirely rebuilt except for the kitchen built in 1805–6. An
axial corridor was constructed along the length of the
house, and the main range was extensively refitted. In
the present century the service arrangements have been
replanned and superfluous outbuildings demolished.
Architectural Description – The house, mostly of two
storeys, of ashlar with hipped stone slated roofs, consists
of a main range built in 1676 and a contemporary arcade
with entrance lodges, terminating in an early 18th-century
garden room. Behind the main range is a service range of
1805–6 and of c. 1838.
The Main Range, of 1676, is ashlar-faced with a
platband and a hipped roof covered in green slates on the
front slope and stone slates on the rear. The dormers
with cambered heads are early 19th-century. A line of
new masonry below the caves suggests that a more
claborate eaves-treatment was removed some time after
c. 1730, probably in the early 19th century. The single-bay E. end of the range retains its original mullioned and
transomed windows. The S. front (Plate 104) is in 12
bays with doorways in the fourth and ultimate bays.
Sash windows in the four W. bays have architraves of c.
1730 with no signs of the original openings, but those in
the eight E. bays are inserted in the 17th-century
openings; the ends of the transom blocks remain outside
the moulded architraves of c. 1730. A door-case with a
Gibbs surround is part of the 18th-century remodelling
(Plate 125). The doorway to the arcade is also c. 1730 but
a triangle of altered masonry above suggests that a more
claborate composition, perhaps pedimented, once existed.
Reset above the door is a late 17th-century wooden coat
of arms of Tryon impaling Stydolf for James Tryon and
The W. wing, of 1805–6, is of ashlar with a hipped
stone-slated roof. The bowed front has curved sash
windows with a sunk panel between the upper and
lower. Above the cornice is a low parapet. The rear
range is in two parts: the ashlar-faced kitchen wing with
sash windows was built in 1805–6 and the remainder
with mullioned windows in c. 1838. The return wall on
the E. is a careful reproduction of the adjoining wall of
the 1676 range.
Internally, the main rooms of the house were
redecorated in c. 1838 and the shutters, doors and plaster
ceiling-cornices are of this date. The entrance lobby,
with a staircase added in c. 1940, has a ceiling with
plaster ribs and clliptical-headed openings. The Dining
Room has a grey marble fireplace with enriched frame
and a frieze carved with leaf-forms, of c. 1730. The
Sitting Room entered by a secret door concealed by a
bookcase, has an early 19th-century fireplace of orange
marble with fluted pilasters and a panelled frieze. The
stairhall has a staircase with plain balusters, scroll
brackets and ramped handrail, and may date from 1809
when John Tillson of Stamford was paid for plaster work
in the 'best staircase' (NRO, T(B) 637); the ceiling has a
foliage centrepiece within an octagon enriched with a
Greek fret (Plate 112). The smaller sitting room has a
marble fireplace with reeded surround flanked by
round-headed cupboards. The large room at the W. end,
built by Legg in 1805–6, has a reeded marble fireplace.
The early 19th-century kitchen in the rear range has a
reset 16th-century window with two round-headed lights.
In the first-floor rooms are several early 19th-century
fireplaces. The attic rooms have plaster floors and one
has a reset dado of bolection-moulded panelling of the
Behind the stair hall, a doorway with chamfered
jambs, possibly of 16th-century date, leads to a cellar
below the small sitting room; it has a brick quadripartite
vault resting on brick piers with stone caps. In the S.E.
wall is a blocked two-light ovolo-moulded mullioned
window. These features belong to the 1676 house.
The Arcade (Plate 104) is a single-storey structure of
1676 consisting of a seven-bay loggia with a central
entrance flanked by lodges. Around the flat roof is a
balustrade. It ends on an early 18th-century garden room
which probably replaces an earlier building of similar
function. The E. wall of the loggia is of coursed rubble
with rendering. The central section incorporating the
lodges breaks forward slightly and is of horizontally-channelled ashlar; the elliptically-headed entrance arch is
flanked by Tuscan pilasters, and above the moulded
keystone is a panel inscribed '1676'. The doors, probably
of 1676, have bolection-moulded panels of varying
shapes. Each lodge has a blocked window with a
moulded architrave and a bold cornice. The S. lodge has
a small spy-hole which commands the entrance. The
loggia on the W. comprises seven clliptically-headed
arches with projecting keystones; the central keystone is
moulded and supports a panel with the date '1676'. The
back wall of the loggia contains round-headed doorways
and niches within rectangular frames, each with a bold
cornice. The garden room at the S. end has ashlar walls
and a plain parapet. Inside there is panelling in two
heights and a reset fireplace of 16th-century date.
Fig. 37 Bulwick (6)
The Orangery, with a glazed roof behind a parapet,
was built in the early 19th century. The rear wall is of
rubble, the remainder of ashlar. The five-bay front has
exceptionally large sash windows.
The Gardens were probably laid out in 1676, when
James Tryon enclosed 226 feet (68.9 m.) of road which
apparently ran in front of the present house (NRO, T(B)
260). They consist of two parterres in front of the house
and a large garden, now the kitchen garden, to the S.W.
The enclosing walls are of masonry faced internally with
red brick, except for that on the E. which is entirely of
stone. To the S. in the valley of the Willow Brook is a
long canal. The upper parterre is bounded by the house
and arcade. To the W. is a pair of ashlar gate piers with
ball-finials, on which are hung a pair of wrought iron
gates perhaps of 1676. They are of plain design with
diagonally-placed bars and swept tops crowned by spiked
finials. In the E. wall, and facing along the line of the
path that formerly bounded the parterre on the S., is a
pair of round-headed niches resembling those in the
arcade. The lower parterre is flanked by terraces on the
sides. On the S. the land falls steeply and there is a
retaining wall of red brick, and a double flight of stone
steps leading down to the level of the canal. The larger
W. garden has a pair of ashlar gate piers with ball-finials,
and hooks for gates; the present gates are early 18th-century and have a framework with an overthrow
incorporating initials and a Tryon crest.
Outbuildings, E. of the house, include a 19th-century
stable with mullion and transom windows.
(3) Gardener's house at Bulwick Hall, two storeys and
attics with hipped dormers, openings with timber lintels,
parapeted gables with moulded kneelers, brick stacks on
stone bases, class 6, c. 1800.
(4) Lodge, two storeys, probably a single-room 17th-century house with mullioned windows, altered in
Jacobean style in the 19th century.
(5) Home Farm, of two storeys, thatched roof, has a
main range of three cells, of late 17th-century origin. A
range was added to the E. in the 18th or early 19th
century to form an L-shaped house. Extensively
remodelled in the late 19th century. The roof, of four
bays, has principals resting on shaped brackets just below
the wall-head; the purlins are carried on sprockets on the
backs of the principals.
(6) Nos. 35, 36 (Fig. 37), a pair, of unequal size, one
storey and attics, thatched roof, probably late 17th-century. Each dwelling was originally of class 4a plan.
Beams have notched ogee stops.
(7) Two storeys, two-room front range with original
rear wing, early 19th-century. (Not entered)
(8) Bulwick Mill House, originally of two storeys with
parapeted gables but raised in the 19th century to provide
attics, class 6, 18th-century. The mill, contemporary
with the house, shares the same chamfered plinth, and
has been largely dismantled. Repairs to a mill were
recorded in 1698 (NRO, T(B) M 128) and in 1731
Edward and Thomas Ireson were paid for six 'roods' of
walling at the Mill House for Charles Tryon (NRO,
T(B) 784); this may refer to the building of the present
house. (Not entered)
(9) Bulwick School (Fig. 38), of coursed rubble with
freestone quoins, openings with cambered arches of
rubble, Welsh slate roof and red brick stack, consists of a
schoolroom, and a two-storey single-room teacher's
house, all under the same roof; it is early 19th-century,
and perhaps dates from 1831 when a National School
was established. Kelly (1847 Directory) described it as a
small Free School, suggesting that it was supported by
(10) No. 28, originally one storey and attics, class 5
plan, late 17th or early 18th-century, raised to two
storeys in the 19th century. The W. room retains a wide
fireplace and a transverse beam with notched ogee stops;
much modernized. Datestone 'TB 1658' probably reset.
(11) A pair of two-storey, class 4c houses with
entrances away from the road, early 19th-century.
Fig. 38 Bulwick (9) School
Fig. 39 Bulwick (12)
(12) Queen's Head Inn (Fig. 39) of two storeys, was
built in the 17th century in two main stages, probably
replacing an earlier building piecemeal, by Ralph Exton,
yeoman, who also owned two cottages in Henwick
(NRO. T(B) 296–306). It consists of a three-cell house
with two rear wings, and staircases under lean-to roofs
in the angles. The mullioned windows on the N. are
arranged symmetrically, four on the first floor and three
on the ground floor, the two E. windows linked by a
hood-mould. The middle door, now blocked, is 18th-century, and the other two are later.
The part containing two E. rooms is dated by an
arcaded stone panel inscribed 'RE 1683'; before alteration
of the fireplaces the middle door probably opened into a
lobby beside the stack (class 4). The roof is
asymmetrical, covering an original lean-to passage along
the S. The W. room, on a slightly different alignment, is
dated by a panel identical to that on the E. inscribed 'RE
1675'. It does not have a passage on the S., and the wall
between it and the central room has been removed,
making a reconstruction of the original arrangement at
this point impossible. The two rear wings are 19th-century in their present form, but the W. wing replaces
an earlier one; the W. stair is apparently 19th-century.
(13) The Rectory, now an L-shaped building, consists
of a two-room range with a stair on the S. It was built in
1827 by the incumbent, Rev. J. T. Tryon, across the N.
end of an earlier building which was demolished in 1958.
The L-plan was extended to the S. in 1862 by a range of
rooms built by Rev. J. Henry Holdich. The N. range of
1827, of two storeys and attics in coursed rubble with
flush dressings and parapeted gables under a stone-slated
mansard roof, has traces of the earlier structure in the S.
wall. The N. wall has bands of ashlar continuous with
the flat arches of the window openings. A date-stone at
the head of the wall on the N. is inscribed 'JTT ANNO
DOM 1827'. A short wing on the W. is a modern
replacement of a single-storey wing. Inside, the fittings
include window and door surrounds with angle-paterae.
To the N.E. of the house is a circular Dovecote of
coursed rubble with stone-slated roof, now a summer
house, probably 18th-century.
(14) A two-storey L-shaped house of 17th-century
origin with a mullioned window lighting the E. room;
thatched roof. (Not entered)
(15) No. 15, Post Office, single storey and attics,
thatched roof, three-room house, now approximating to
class 2. of 17th-century origin. The house has been
re-roofed leaving a single truss, apparently a raised cruck,
in the middle of the central room; the collar, now
missing, was held by a notched lap joint. The later roof
has a collar and principals, one of which rests on a
wooden bracket below the wall-head.
(16) Nos. 13, 14, two storeys formerly with thatched
roof, probably originally class 4a, 18th-century, now two
tenements. Mullioned window at rear.
(17) Virginia Cottage, two-storey two-room house
built in two stages in the 19th century. Front room
formerly partitioned to provide a shop with separate
entrance at the front.
(18) No. 12, late 18th or early 19th-century single-storey house set at right angles to the street, probably
class 4a. In the early 19th century the S. room was
rebuilt wider to form a parlour; it was given ashlar
dressings and sash windows.
(19) Inchmore, one storey and attics, of 17th-century
origin and obscure development. The front room, with
gable entry and a canted bay window, has been
demolished. Behind, two rooms in line have large
fireplaces. Rooms to N. are narrower but still 17th-century. Across the N. end of the plot is an 18th-century
(20) No. 1, two storeys, some freestone quoins,
thatched roof, 17th-century origin. Of three cells, the N.
end has always been non-domestic. The house has been
replanned; in the middle room the present large fireplace,
with a reused 17th-century ceiling beam as bressumer, is
18th or 19th-century and may replace one originally at
the N. end.
(21) Two storeys in red brick, now rendered, stone
window lintels, sash windows, shallow central projection
with round-headed central doorway, parapeted gables,
Welsh slate roof, early 19th-century. Class 6 with rear
service range giving a T-shaped plan. (Not entered)
(22) Top Farm, formerly of single storey and attics,
with timber lintels and thatched roof, early 18th-century.
The house was originally of three rooms with end stacks;
it is roofed in four bays, the baying not conforming
exactly with the ground-floor arrangements, and the
principals rest on wooden brackets just below the wall-head.
(23) A pair of two-storey class 4a houses, with rear
entrances, freestone quoins, cambered rubble arches to
the openings and parapeted gables, built in 1834. the date
inscribed on the W. gable.
(24) The Farmhouse, of two storeys and attics, with
mullioned windows, Welsh slate roof, has a two-room
range of 17th-century date set at right angles to the road,
with date-stone inscribed '1626 IE'; a late 19th-century
range at right angles may replace an earlier main range.
On the first floor a transverse beam has a deep chamfer
with bar stop. The Farmyard includes a 17th-century
building now of two storeys with stone external steps,
parapeted gables with moulded kneelers, and pantiled
roof; also a 19th-century barn of rubble with rectangular
ventilation slits and brick elliptical arch to the doorway.
Fig. 40 Collyweston Village Map
(25) Carberry House, of two storeys, gabled porch
with segmental-headed opening (cf. Laxton village),
windows with cambered rubble arches, parapeted gables,
T-shaped plan, early 19th-century. Part of the Laxton
estate. (Not entered)
(26) New Lodge (SP 959952), two storeys with cellar,
openings with cambered rubble arches, hipped roof, L-shaped plan with front range of class 6a but with internal
stacks, early 19th-century. Blank windows in the E. side
elevation preserve its symmetry; large fireplace and
contemporary dresser in rear wing. Occupied in 1851
(Census) by William Bamford who farmed 300 acres (125
hectares) and had five labourers.
(27) Red Lodge (SP 945940), two storeys in pinkish
red brick with chamfered rubble plinth, ground-floor
openings with splayed rubbed brick flat arches, class 8,
the rear rooms under a catslide roof, early 19th-century.
(28) Brick Kiln Lodge (SP 957928; Plate 117), of two
storeys, hipped roof, with one-storey wing, was built in
the early 19th century. Stacks are internal; the two main
rooms have a pantry and stair behind. Openings are
ovolo-moulded with returned labels. In 1847 the house
was occupied by Thomas Barratt, farmer and brickmaker
who in 1851 employed ten men (Kelly 1847; Census).
The brick kiln and clay pit are to the W. where the
Willow Brook cuts through the Lower Estuarine clays.
(29) Bridge over the Willow Brook, formerly a single-arch masonry bridge of 18th or 19th-century date,
demolished in 1979. A bridge was recorded at Bulwick
in 1482 (NRO, Early Northants. Wills, f.31). In 1721 the
bridge here was of two arches (Bodleian MS. Top.
Northants. f1, p. 36).