Fig. 65 Easton-On-The-Hill Village Map
(Fig. 65; Plate 74)
Easton is a parish of 1356 hectares lying on a
tableland to the S. of the R. Welland. Apart from
an outcrop of Northampton Sand in the N. of the
parish, used occasionally for decorative effect in
17th and 18th-century buildings, the underlying
rock is mainly Lower Lincolnshire Limestone. The
base of this limestone is a fissile bed, running
across the parish in a narrow band, which yields
stone slates (see Sectional Preface). Easton lime was
long held in high esteem, and the supply of fuel for
burning it was plentiful (Morton, 102–3). Lower
Estuarine clays were used for making pots and tiles
in the early 18th century (Morton, 79).
There were three manors in 1086 and this may
account for the present layout of the village. The
church stands on the crest of a hill at the N. end
while High Street runs in an E.-W. direction on a
ridge to the S. of Manor Brook. What may have
been a back lane to High Street later carried a main
road, improved in 1794 as the Stamford to
Kettering Turnpike. Settlement has extended along
this road, especially since enclosure in 1820. New
Town was a new street created in c. 1840; New
Road was laid out by the Marquess of Exeter in
Until the later 13th century most of the owners
of Easton were residents, notably the de Lindon
family, one of whom built a chapel at his manor
house in c. 1276. From them it passed first to
Eleanor wife of Edward I, for whom a chantry was
established in 1293, and thence to the Crown and a
series of non-resident noblemen until, in 1584, it
was bought by William Cecil. There was therefore
no manor house, the only dwelling of consequence
being a copyhold (13). The manorial holding as
shown on the 1820 Enclosure Map included several
farms, especially in High Street, and relatively few
cottages. It included almost all farms with wide
frontages to the street, suggesting amalgamations
of tenements to form enlarged holdings. The glebe
land is a large block of land extending from the
church to Glebe House (57) and S. to Manor
Brook; it has only the medieval rectory and its
18th-century successor built on it.
The population has remained relatively stable, at
about 110 families in 1673 and 128 in 1801. In 1673
less than a quarter of the households were so poor
as to be exempted from Hearth Tax, and the
proportion of houses with only one hearth was low
also. With an extensive acreage and the slate
industry, Easton was able to support a large
population, and the surviving houses are evidence
of a modest prosperity.
In 1670 Richard Garford endowed a school with
property in London; this school was held in the
church until 1766 when the Earl of Exeter bought a
house (mon. 2) and the Countess provided for six
girls to be educated there (NRO, Terrier, 1774). In
1830 the Marchioness of Exeter transferred the girls
to a new girls' school which she was establishing
on Stamford Road (mon. 72), the boys only
moving in 1867 to a new school in the High Street,
possibly designed by Edward Browning.
(1) Parish Church of All Saints (Fig. 66; Plate 19)
stands in the S. half of the churchyard which was
enlarged to the N.W. in 1862. It consists of a Chancel
with North and South Chapels, Nave with Aisles, West
Tower and South Porch. The church is built of limestone
rubble with freestone dressings and buttresses, and the
tower is faced with ashlar. The roofs are low-pitched,
except for those of the N. chapel and the porch which
are steep-pitched and stone-slated.
The earliest surviving feature is the rear-arch of a 12th-century window over the S. arcade of the nave. Only the
head remains and this probably belonged to a tall,
narrow opening in an aisleless nave rather than to a
clearstorey window. This window, the form of the
junction between nave and chancel and the position of
the S. door suggest a 12th-century church consisting of
an aisleless nave and short narrower chancel. At the
beginning of the 13th century most of this earlier church
was rebuilt: both chancel and nave were extended and an
aisle was added on the S. In the mid 13th century a long
chapel was added on the S. side of the chancel to which
it was connected by an archway. Evidence for this
development rests on the survival of the former external
plinth of the S. wall of the chancel and on the character
of the arch between chancel and chapel. The chapel's
construction may be associated with Sir Richard de
Lindon who died in c. 1255 (Gent's Mag. 1848, 163–4)
and whose memorial tablet is on the S. wall (see brass
indent (2) ). In the 14th century a chapel with an almost
square plan was built on the N. side of the chancel, and
an archway was introduced into the N. wall which was
almost entirely rebuilt at the same time. The N. aisle and
arcade are also of 14th-century date. In the second half of
the 15th century, the W. tower was constructed, and
clearstoreys were added to the chancel and nave.
Probably in the 16th century the S. chapel was divided
by a cross wall, and a small doorway inserted in the
chancel wall to provide access to the E. part.
A number of restorations have taken place. The S.
walls of the S. aisle and S. chapel were largely rebuilt in
1786 and 1848. In 1856 the N, aisle and N. clearstorey
were reconstructed, and in 1846 and 1888 the chancel
was repaired and restored (VCH, Northants. II, 567;
Whellan; Kelly; NRO, Churchwardens' Accounts 1799–
The church is noteworthy for the 13th-century work,
particularly in the S. chapel, and for the W. tower which
is a noble example of a regional design current in the
second half of the 15th century.
Architectural Description – The Chancel, originally
without buttresses, has at the N.E. corner a lateral
buttress, probably of the 14th century, with chamfered
angles and broach-type stops. The gable of the E. wall
has a waggon-shaped profile with battlements which
return over clearstoreys on the N. and S.; these features
are 15th-century. The clearstorey on the S. is set back
above the 13th-century wall below. Internally, a 13th-century moulded string-course is interrupted by the 15th-century E. window which has a four-centred head and
vertical tracery with a central quatrefoil. In the N. wall is
an early 14th-century window with a square head,
cusped lights and tracery composed of roundels with
alternate quatrefoils and mouchettes, under a triangular
relieving arch. Its W. jamb is partly covered by the E.
wall of the N. chapel implying a later date for the
chapel. Leading into the chapel is a wide two-centred
arch of two chamfered orders; the E. respond has a
hollow-chamfered base and moulded capital, but the W.
respond has a capital of crude shape and unknown date.
The only clearstorey windows are on the S.; they have
four-centred heads and are much restored since they were
once masked by a lean-to roof over the S. chapel
(drawing by Clarke, Churches, 104). In the S. wall is a
doorway with chamfered jambs, probably of the 16th
century, leading to the S. chapel. Further W. in the wall
is a wide round-headed arch of two chamfered orders
carried on responds, the E. being half-round with water-holding base and moulded capital enriched with nailhead
ornament, and the W. having a capital of the 14th
century of unusual design in that below the crown
moulding is an octagonal element. The arch to the S.
chapel may have been widened to the W. as implied by
the later respond on that side, and possibly by the
irregularity of the head of the arch. The chancel arch
responds are set back in the thickness of the wall
suggesting widening, possibly in the 14th century; the
arch has three chamfered orders on the E. and two on
the W., and half-round responds with simple capitals.
Fig. 66 Easton-on-the-Hill Church
The North Chapel, projecting from the W. bay of the
chancel, dates from the 14th century, but the N. wall
and the N. lateral buttresses have been rebuilt. In the E.
wall the head and casement-moulded jambs of a 15th-century window survive, but the tracery is entirely 19th-century. The late medieval N. window is square-headed
with five trefoiled lights. The W. arch is 19th-century
but a chamfered angle on the S. suggests a former lower
The South Chapel has a plain parapet, slightly lower
than the S. aisle parapet, and a modern gargoyle. The
original roof was replaced at some unknown date by one
of single pitch, rising to the height of the chancel parapet
(Clarke, Churches, 104), but this later roof was removed
in the 19th century. At the S.E. corner are 13th-century
pilaster buttresses with chamfered angles and weathered
tops. The E. wall was largely rebuilt possibly in the 18th
century and the 13th-century work now only remains
internally, but Clarke shows a faint outline of a blocked
The S. wall also appears to have been partly rebuilt or
refaced, certainly after Clarke recorded a full-height
pilaster buttress in the position of the present side
buttress. Internally (Plate 34) the E. wall has a 13th-century wall-arch, presumably framing a former
window. The arch has attached nook-shafts, water-holding bases, moulded capitals and a label with head
stops (Fig. 68). The N. stop is carved as a male head,
probably crowned, and the S. stop as a female head with
veiled head-dress. The centre of the arch is destroyed but
the assumed apex would indicate a former steeply
pitched roof. In the S. wall is a similar but lower wall-arch and the springing of a second; between them is a
triple-roll shaft with annulet. In the first bay is a late-medieval window with a four-centred head, and in the
second is a modern window, copying that in the N. wall
of the chancel. Between the chapel and the aisle is a
modern arch perhaps replacing a wall. Dividing the
chapel is a thick wall, about 3 m. high, of late-medieval
date with provision at its N. end for the swing of a small
door to the chancel.
The Nave has a three-bay N. arcade of the 14th
century with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and
chamfered bases; the arches are of two wave-moulded
orders. The S. arcade of three bays was inserted into the
12th-century nave wall in the early years of the 13th
century. Over the first pier is the deeply splayed rear-arch of a 12th-century window of which the head alone
remains (Fig. 67). The arcade has round piers, water-holding bases and square plinths of rough masonry. The
octagonal capitals have two simple coves, and the arches
have two chamfered orders (Fig. 68). The 15th-century
clearstorey has a plain parapet; each window, linked
internally by a string-course, has two cusped lights in a
The North Aisle was rebuilt in 1856. Square-headed
windows in the N. wall have three trefoil-headed lights
and mullions continuing through the spandrels; a little
original stonework remains. A doorway which now
stands W. of the church is said to come from the centre
of the aisle wall. It has a four-centred head with
continuous wave-moulded and hollow-chamfered arch
and jambs. The South Aisle of the early 13th century is
without corner buttresses, as is the chancel of the same
date. Some quoins and adjacent masonry at the S.W.
corner are of Barnack stone. The parapet is plain. Much
of the wall E. of the porch has been rebuilt. All the
windows have square heads with internal wooden lintels.
The first window, of four lights with cusped heads, is
medieval but much restored. The early 13th-century S.
doorway (Plate 15) has a round-headed arch of two main
orders comprising numerous roll mouldings and a
prominent keel-moulding, carried on a moulded abacus,
nook shafts with bell-shaped capitals, and chamfered
jambs (Fig. 68). The head of the arch has been mutilated
to receive a later niche. Behind the E. respond of the
arcade is a rood loft stair with a chamfered ogee-headed
doorway, probably 15th-century.
Fig. 67 Easton-on-the-Hill Church E. end of S. wall of nave showing position of 12th-century
window and later arcade
The West Tower, of the second half of the 15th
century, has five external stages separated by string-courses. Buttresses clasp the corners and the plinth is
boldly moulded. The W. doorway has a two-centred
head and continuous mouldings, and the W. window has
three cusped lights, vertical mouchettes in the tracery and
moulded jambs which include a prominent keel
moulding in the outer order. On the N., S. and W. of
the third stage are small square openings with quatrefoil
tracery. On the fourth stage are two-light windows with
pointed heads, and on the fifth are large four-light
windows having wide central mullions rising to the
apices. Below the embattled parapet is a deep band of
quatrefoil decoration; on each face are two beast-gargoyles. The octagonal corner pinnacles are particularly
lofty. The tower arch is of two wave-moulded orders,
the outer continuous, the inner carried on half-round
shafts, moulded and battlemented capitals, bell-shaped
bases, and octagonal sub-bases. In the S.W. corner is a
vice with a four-centred headed doorway.
The South Porch of the 13th-century has lateral
buttresses, gabled parapet and an archway with an almost
semicircular head, continuous hollow-chamfered orders
and a label with mask stops. Inside there are stone seats
against the side walls.
The Roof over the chancel is 15th-century, waggon-shaped, with moulded purlins, ridge-piece and principal
rafters. At the intersections are foliated bosses and at
cornice level are small modern figures holding shields.
The nave roof is flat-pitched and 19th-century. The N.
chapel roof is pyramidal, ceiled internally, and possibly
18th-century. The 15th-century roof of the tower has
cross tie beams and a small king post.
Fittings – Bells: four; 1st and 4th by Thomas Norris,
1640; 2nd inscribed in black-letter 'Personet hec celis
dulcissima vox gabrielis' with maker's mark (North, No.
14, pl. 11), 15th-century; 3rd by T. Eayre, 1749 (Plate
66). Bell-frame: down-braced, 15th-century. Benefactor's
table: see monument (5). Brass indents: in chancel – (1), on
N. wall, rectangular stone panel, blind cusped head,
indents for kneeling figure at desk with inscription panel
below, scroll for invocatory prayer, shield, the Holy
Dove and an oval panel presumably representing the
Trinity; late 15th or early 16th-century; (2), long
limestone tablet with indents for Lombardic lettering, of
Sir Richard de Lindon, died c. 1255, and Ivete his wife
(Plate 34). In S. aisle – (3), slab of Alwalton marble with
indent for foliated cross with stepped base and inscription
plate, and with ecclesiastical figure in the cusped head;
late 14th-century (Plate 43). Coffin lids: (1), over chancel
arch, part of slab with foliated cross, medieval; (2), loose
in S. aisle, tapering slab with relief decoration
comprising crude lozenges at head and foot, central rib
with fish-tail motif at centre; probably 12th-century
(Plate 7). Cupboard: in S. aisle, modern but with 17th-century panelling. Doors to S. porch, double doors with
fielded panels, 18th-century. Font: octagonal bowl, stem,
base, high step-stone reset against modern foot-pace
(Plate 39). The bowl is decorated alternately with cusped
panels enclosing shields and panels containing two-light
window forms; the lower edge is enriched with large
paterae, and the stem and base have cusped decoration;
mid 15th-century. Glass: in chancel – (1), in N. window,
foliage conforming with mouchettes, in situ; fragments
including part of nimbed head; other fragments; 14th-century. In N. aisle – (2) in first window, foliage, 14th-century. Image stand (?): in N. chapel, projecting
chamfered stone, medieval. Inscribed panel: in chancel on
N. wall, dated 1411, black-letter inscription on large
grey stone panel with floral decoration, recording the
amalgamation with the parish church, under Robert
Senkel, rector, of the chantry founded in 1295 by Henry
Sampson, rector, for the obits of Queen Eleanor, himself
and his parents; the endowment, although substantial,
proved insufficient to support a separate chantry priest
(R. Hill, 'Two Northamptonshire Chantries', English
Historical Review, LXII (1947), 203).
Monuments and Floor slabs. Monuments: in chancel – on
N. wall (1), of Charles Bletso, 1753, white, grey and
pink marble tablet with pediment and with arms of
Bletso in a cartouche on apron; on S. wall (2), of John
Skynner, Fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge, and
rector for nearly fifty years, 1805, and Sarah his wife,
1808, and his four sons; (3), of Catherine, wife of
Charles Bletso, 1772, tablet as (1) with lozenge of arms.
In S. chapel – on S. wall (4), of Bridgett Tampon
(Bullingham), 1662, and of Mary Brudnell, 1662,
recording the latter's bequests to the poor of Easton and
Ketton, and of a communion cup to Easton church,
painted stone monuments with two round-headed tablets
and three pilasters combined under one cornice. (5), of
John Jackson, 1772, painted stone, with shaped head and
hanging swags. Attached externally (6), on E. wall of N.
chapel, of George West, 1811, with obelisk and flanking
urns, by I. Johnson; (7), of Susanna West, relict of
above, 1838, similar to (6). Floor slabs: in N. chapel – (1),
of Ann Dunch, 1699; (2), of Sarah Veitch (Broughton),
1815; (3). of Martha Thompson, 1747; (4), of Richard
Thompson, 1728, and Richard Thompson, 1777, with
foliage scrolls. In S. chapel – (5), slab with incised lines
depicting female figure, upper part missing, and very
worn and partly illegible marginal inscription in
Lombardic lettering arranged in retro script and filled
with pitch; it reads 'vous ke sur mo regardez par
charit. . . '. The figure wears a flowing costume and
stands between two architectural standards which
originally supported a crocketed canopy, a fragment of
which now forms part of the threshold of the doorway
from the chancel; late 13th or early 14th-century (Fig.
69); (6), broken slab with incised lines perhaps depicting
a cross, medieval; (7), of J. J[ackson], 1772; (8), of Rev.
Gregory B[ateman], 18, rector; (9), of Isaac Jackson,
1779. In nave – (10), of Ann Sisson, 1731. In S. aisle –
(11), of E.I., 1760; (12), of Martha Brewster (Sisson),
17–7; (13), of Henry -arker, 1780, and another, designed
as a pair with volute decoration. There are several other
floor slabs which are illegible.
Fig. 68 Easton-on-the-Hill Church
Mouldings 13th century
Niches: in S. chapel – (1), in N. wall, with ogee head.
Over S. doorway to S. aisle – (2), with trefoil head; both
probably 14th-century. Organ: 1850 by G. M. Holdich,
Euston Square, London, was originally designed so that
a barrel could operate the keys; case carved with tracery
forms. Paintings: in chancel – (1), above N. window,
traces of red and white stripes. In S. chapel – (2), on E.
wall, traces of red and yellow, late medieval. In nave –
(3), over chancel arch, some coloured areas, said to be
Elizabethan Royal Arms; (4), on S. wall simulated
masonry in grey with red flowers and green stalks in
centre; painted voussoirs representing additional order to
the arch, 13th-century. Piscinae: in chancel – (1), in S.
wall, with trefoil head and octofoil drain, 13th-century.
In S. chapel – (2), in S. wall, with trefoil head, moulded
label and mask stops, probably reset, 13th-century.
Pulpit: oak, octagonal, may have been constructed in
1759 if the Rural Dean's Returns of 1843 are to be
believed (NRO, X650/8, p. 883), but the woodwork is
of various periods. The front panel is inlaid with IHS
monogram, the door has fielded panelling and the
cornice and lower part are heavily moulded. Recess: in S.
aisle, with four-centred head, late medieval. Royal Arms:
see Paintings (3). Screens: in chancel – (1), under N. arch,
stone screen of six bays, the E. being a late medieval
doorway with four-centred head, the W. perhaps 15th-century with a cinque-foiled head, and the remainder
having trefoil and ogee heads with pierced spandrels and
grooves for glazing; these last are probably from a 14th-century window. (2), under S. arch, stone screen of six
bays, the E. being an ogee-headed doorway; the
remaining openings have cinquefoil ogee heads with high
spills; 15th-century. In nave (3), remains of an oak
screen, now incorporated in pews, have moulded stiles
with grooves for panels on which the silhouettes of
former blind tracery survive in the staining; the main
bays were sub-divided into two lights, 15th-century. In
tower (4), loose fragments of tracery heads in oak,
probably medieval. Seating: in nave, mostly 17th-century, consists of pews with moulded top rails. One
pew-end has a wooden shield with inlaid inscription,
'Tho. Maidwel Rector Ihon. Adison Ihon. Wright CW
1631'; on W. side of this pew is an 18th-century seat
with shaped arm rests. Some of these pews incorporate
fragments of 15th-century stalls; they have short square
posts with moulded capitals and bases and fragmentary
arm rests carved with seated animals. In the W. part of
the nave are 18th-century box pews with fielded or sunk
panelling. Sundial: on S. porch, square stone panel
inscribed 'Hora Pars Vitae 1797'. Tiles: in doorway of S.
chapel, with green and yellow glaze, probably medieval.
Miscellanea: in S. aisle – (1), two 15th-century gargoyles,
formerly on tower; (2), stone panel carved with blind
quatrefoil, trefoil and ogee forms with traces of red
painting in the cusps against a dark background; 15th-century.
Fig. 69 Easton-on-the-Hill Floor slab
(5) late 13th or early 14th-century
Church Street (Plate 74)
(2) No. 61, one storey and attics, class 4a, probably
early 18th-century. Two gabled dormers are dated 1724
and 1729. A single-storey cross wing on the N. was built
as a schoolroom for the Garford School, perhaps in 1766
when the Earl of Exeter bought the house for use as a
school and master's house.
(3) No. 59, one storey and attics, single room class 1c
plan, mullioned windows, 17th-century.
(4) No. 55, one storey and attics, single-room front
part with mansard roof, class 6b rear wing, all early
(5) No. 53, two storeys, class 4a, probably early 18th-century but in two builds. Ovolo-moulded and
chamfered mullioned windows.
(6) No. 49, two storeys, sash windows, freestone
dressings, early 19th-century. Class 6b but with stairs on
rear wall of kitchen.
(7) No. 37, one storey and attics, single-room house
with date-panel 'J H A 1837' within a lozenge. (Not
(8) Two storeys, single-room plan incorporating
passage to (9) (Fig. 70). Date-panel 'M F B 1811' for one
of the Fitzjohn family.
(9) Bank Cottage (Fig. 70), two storeys, class 4a, 18th-century.
(10) Nos. 29, 31, a pair of single-storey and attic class
4c houses built after 1820.
(11) No. 23, one storey and attic, single-room house
with date-stone 'C W E 1686'. Two-room N addition,
also 17th-century. Converted to two cottages in the early
19th century. Both parts with mullioned windows.
(12) No. 19 (Plate 117), two storeys and attics,
doorway with stone fluted pilasters, sash windows with
plain architraves, ornate date-panel in relief 'WB 1830'
for William Bellamy; L-shaped plan (RCHM, Stamford,
(13) Manor House (Fig. 71), is a large L-shaped
building dating from the end of the 17th-century.
Immediately before 1833 the front of the E. range was
rebuilt in the Tudor style and the interior rearranged
(Mercury, 19 Sept. 1834); the letting was in the hands of
J. Richardson of Stamford, who may have also rebuilt
the house. The long W. wing has a garden front of
distinction (Plate 98).
The E. range is of three storeys but in the S. gable the
line of a lower gable of the 17th century is preserved.
The rear wall of the range is not parallel with the front,
and the resulting wedge-shaped part has a gabled roof at
right angles to the main roof; this is probably an original
arrangement. The rebuilt entrance front of ashlar is in
five bays, the central bay breaking forward with a shaped
gable. The central window is of Gothick design with
two cinque-foiled lights, but the remaining windows have
ovolo-moulded mullions. The porch has Tuscan-type
columns. Pilasters at the corners terminate with square
gabled finials. The N. gable wall is largely 17th-century
but some rebuilding has taken place. Set in the S. gable
is a 19th-century shield with arms of Cutler, now
incorrectly painted. The W. wing, of two storeys, attics
and cellar, has three shaped gables and cusped
latticework parapets of the early 19th century. The
seven-bay S. front (Plate 98) has ovolo-moulded two-light windows, the transoms having been removed. In
the centre of the front is a sundial with an iron gnomon
and a painted stone panel with the motto 'Wee shall',
possibly a rebus for 'we shall die all' [dial]. The N. front
has chamfered mullioned windows to the cellar but
these, with the first-floor windows, are mostly 19th-century, the wall being almost blind originally.
Fig. 70 Easton-on-the-Hill (8) and (9)
Fig. 71 Easton-on-the-Hill (13)
Internally the house was almost entirely refitted in the
19th century, only the two staircases of the original
house being retained. In the 19th-century the
arrangement of the E. range consisted of a square
entrance hall with the principal stair beyond it. This
stair, flanked by elliptical recesses containing doors, has a
closed string, square panelled newels and twisted
balusters (Plate 115); the newels at half-landing and at
first-floor level terminate as scrolls. The secondary stair,
in the W. wing, has turned balusters and square newels
with scroll-work similar to but plainer than those of the
main stair. Both stairs are late 17th-century. The W.
range originally had three equal rooms, that on the W.
being the kitchen; in the 19th century a large dining
room was created. On the first floor of the E. range is a
pair of connected drawing rooms, also c. 1833. The early
19th-century decoration is restrained but one room has a
plaster cornice with square-and-paterae decoration.
In the stone wall of the garden is a square-headed
doorway with moulded architrave of the 18th century.
To the N. of the house are the former Stables which
comprise a hipped-roofed range of the mid 19th century.
It is now converted to a dwelling but some round-headed
windows and former stable doorways of Tudor design
(14) No. 11, was built by Robert Henson under lease
from Browne's Hospital in 1677. A panel, formerly on
the N. gable, is inscribed 'R H M 1677' (Plate 124). Two
storeys, rubble platband, ashlar stack with pulvinated
frieze, originally class 1b. A third room, added by John
Shirley when subtenant in 1680, carries a stone panel
'I S M 1680' inscribed within a shield; mullioned
windows and a contemporary first-floor fireplace
(Browne's Hospital Audit Book). 19th-century Barn on S.
(15) No. 9 (Fig. 72), one storey and attics, three-room
front range with two-room rear wing, 17th-century.
One mullioned window. Inside on first floor, early 18th-century plaster modillion cornice and wall panels.
Fig. 72 Easton-on-the-Hill (15)
(16) One storey and attics, class 4c with former
workshop under the same roof, mid 19th-century.
(17) Glenville, two-storey L-shaped house built in
1839, altered 1902 (date-stones). Loose in garden,
medieval architectural fragments from churches restored
by William Perkins, mason, who lived here in the 19th-century; they include part of an octagonal font bowl and
(18) No. 36, one storey and attics, single room of 17th
or 18th-century date with two-storey single-room rear
range, late 18th-century. (Not entered)
(19) No. 34, three-room two-storey house built in
1816, replacing a house of 1622, both dates on a stone
panel. At rear, three-bay three-storey warehouse, early
(20) No. 30, one storey and attics, class 4b, late 17th
or early 18th-century. (Not entered)
Fig. 73 Easton-on-the-Hill (21)
(21) No. 28 (Fig. 73), two storeys, mullioned
windows, class 5, late 17th-century, converted to two
dwellings in the 19th century. Pantry next to stairs had
splat baluster ventilation grille. Before 1836 used as the
parish workhouse (Mercury, 12 Aug. 1836). Demolished
(22) No. 26, one storey and attics, class 4a, 18th-century. N. cross wing of two storeys, with date-panel
'1822', includes a bake-house; behind is a 19th-century
range of cow-houses and barn.
(23) No. 24, one storey and attics, class 4a, dated
'T G H 1688' on W. gable; mullioned windows. Late
17th-century room added on E. and early 19th-century
room on N. The parlour has a length of ornate plaster
cornice, apparently 18th-century; in 1820 the house was
occupied by Francis Mitchell, slater (Enclosure Map).
(24) No. 22, one storey and attics, two-room house
with lateral stack, 17th-century, with mid 19th-century
additions on N. and E. (Not entered)
(25) Two-storey, L-shaped house, possibly 18th-century. (Not entered)
(26) No. 16, two storeys, class 6b with barn under the
same continuous roof. Stone inscribed 'R J M 1819' for
Richard Johnson (Enclosure Map; see also mon. (55)).
(27) No. 10, three-storey one-room block added in
early 19th-century to earlier house now demolished; flush
dressings and sash windows.
(28) Blue Bell Inn, one storey and attics, three-room
house, 17th-century. Long mansard-roofed 18th-century
extension had become a clubroom by 1851 (BEO,
Repairs of Estates, 1849).
(29) One storey and attics, class 1a with central rear
wing (Fig. 74), 17th-century. Date-panels 'R. 1607.M'
and 'CDM 1674', probably for Christopher Mitchell,
assessed for two hearths in 1673 (Hearth Tax), perhaps
reset; 'HW TW 1792' may refer to repairs, and 'CA
18. .' to insertion of parlour fireplace. Wing has cellar
and chamfered mullioned window; sides of dormers have
vine-scroll decoration incised in plaster, probably 18th-century.
Fig. 74 Easton-on-the-Hill (29)
(30) No. 15, two-storey, two-room front range, with
sash windows, early 19th-century. Later altered and
damaged by bomb in 1942.
(31) No. 17, two-storey, three-cell house built in two
phases, probably late 17th-century. Heightened in 20th
century. The W. room was a separate tenement between
1761 and 1865 (BEO, Court Book, 1862, 1865). Behind,
three-bay Barn and a Dovecote with 350 nests, 18th-century.
(32) Park House (Fig. 75), one storey and attics. E.
wing of the 17th century incorporates internally an
earlier timber-framed wall with semi-octagonal wall-shaft
rising to a bracket suggesting a N.-facing jetty. The W.
wing was rebuilt between 1848 and 1852 in the
picturesque style for the Burghley Estate to designs by
Bryan Browning (BEO, Account Books and Ledgers).
Fig. 75 Easton-on-the-Hill (32)
(33) No. 25, one storey and attics, class 4a, 17th-century, altered to class 2 plan in late 19th century with
mullioned windows and tall gabled dormers. To E. early
19th-century barn and two-storey farm buildings.
(34) No. 27, one storey and attics, class 6b, early 19th-century.
(35) No. 29, long early 18th-century barn (Plate 123),
in bands of rubble and ironstone; triangular ventilation
holes and central opposed doors.
(36) Two storeys, 17th-century; probably class 4
originally, converted to class 6a in the 19th century. The
W. room was added late in the 17th century.
(37) No. 6, one storey and attics, class 1a, 17th-century. Chamfered mullioned window in rear wing. A
fourth room was added at the back in the 18th century.
(38) No. 12, one storey and attics, originally class 2
with cross passage defined by masonry walls. Service
room now demolished. 17th-century.
(39) No. 18, two storeys, class 4b, 17th-century,
enlarged in the early 19th century to give a class 6b plan.
Behind, in an early 19th-century class 4c house of one
storey and attics, is an enriched fireplace surround.
(40) No. 20, two storeys, T-shaped plan, 17th-century.
Ovolo-moulded windows in main range, chamfered
mullions in rear range. On S. gable, recut sundial
inscribed 'IL LY 1649'; another sundial cut into ashlar
(41) No. 22, N. room only of former single-storey and
attics 17th-century two-room house. Mullioned window.
(42) Farm buildings, late 18th-century barn; two-storey
building adjoining has date-panel 'J N P 1792' for James
Newman (Enclosure Map).
(43) No. 30 (Fig. 76), one storey and attics, class 1c,
17th-century, rear kitchen wing, c. 1800.
Fig. 76 Easton-on-the-Hill (43)
(44) No. 32 (Fig. 77), one storey and attics, class 1b
now altered, 17th-century. Parlour has corner fireplace
and mid 18th-century plaster ceiling with leaf-scroll
Fig. 77 Easton-on-the-Hill (44)
(45) No. 36, Old Farm House, two storeys and attics,
class 6b, early 19th-century, probably built by Thomas
Parker, lessee of farm from Browne's Hospital from 1800
to 1843. Eight-bay, 18th-century barn to S., and three-bay 19th-century barn to S.W. of house.
(46) No. 40, one storey and attics, class 4a, 17th-century, with mullioned windows.
(47) Hillcrest, one storey and attics, class 4a, early
(48) No. 52, former Carpenter's Arms Inn, two
storeys, freestone quoins, hung-sash windows, class 8,
with the rear section under a single-storey continuous
roof, early 19th-century.
(49) Nos. 54, 56; two storeys, class 4a, 17th-century
house to the E. with mullioned windows; date-panel
'W M H 1823' probably refers to heightening. W.
section, also class 4a, may be an early 19th-century
conversion from a farm building.
(50) No. 58, one storey and attics, class 4a, early 19th-century. Similar house as a rear range, entered from
garden behind (49).
Fig. 78 Easton-on-the-Hill (51)
(51) Nos. 60, 62, 64 (Fig. 78), row of three two-storey
class 4c houses, early 19th-century.
(52) No. 21, a two-storey pair sharing central entrance,
early 19th-century. (Not entered)
(53) Nos. 15, 17, a two-storey pair, class 7b, early
(54) No. 13, an unequal two-storey pair, early 19th-century. (Not entered)
(55) Nos. 49, 51, one storey and attics, perhaps
originally class 4a with later rear wing. Plaster oval on
dormer inscribed 'R J M 1826' for Richard Johnson
(56) No. 45, one storey and attics, formerly T-shaped
plan, 17th-century. One wing removed since 1820
(Enclosure Map). (Inside partly seen)
Fig. 79 Easton-on-the-Hill (57) Former Rectory
(57) Glebe House (Fig. 79; Plate 105), was built as a
rectory during the first half of the 18th century. It
remains largely unaltered except for the S. wall which
has been refaced, probably in the early 19th century. It is
of two storeys with basement and attics, and has coursed
rubble walls and ashlar quoins on the S., E. and W. and
an ashlar wall on the N. The house has a double-pile
plan with two parallel gabled roofs with bold dentilled
eaves cornices of wood. The proportions are tall
particularly on the S. where the ground level is lower.
The five-bay entrance front on the S. has four ovolo-moulded basement windows of three lights, a flight of
steps to the central door, sash windows on ground and
first floors, and five hipped dormers. The main windows
have flush surrounds and the heads of the lower are
linked by a band of flush ashlar blocks. Over the door is
a sundial with a wave-moulded keystone, and painted
inscription 'Fear the Lord always'. The N. elevation is
similar to that on the S. but the basement is below
ground level; the windows have moulded sills and
surrounds. The side elevations have gables with parapets
and triple chimney stacks. At the S.E. corner a doorway
with double chamfered jambs gives into a basement
room, originally the kitchen.
Inside, the principal stair (Plate 115) with square
newels, turned balusters, a moulded handrail and closed
string is 18th-century; it rises to the attics. The room E.
of the entrance passage has an original secondary stair
adjacent to the stack. Some rooms on the N. have plain
panelling in two heights, wooden cornices and chair-rails; fireplaces have bold bolection-moulded wooden
surrounds. Original fittings in the first-floor rooms
include a wooden eared fireplace surround with egg-and-dart enrichment, and some plain panelling. The attic
rooms have plaster floors.
To the E. of the house is a single-storey Bakehouse
with a projecting oven, probably of the early 19th
Fig. 80 Easton-on-the-Hill (58)
The Priest's House
(58) Priest's House (Fig. 80; Plate 78) formerly the Old
Rectory, was built in the early 16th century probably as
the priest's dwelling; it may have ceased to be a clergy
house as early as 1553 (NRO, Peterborough Wills A.I. f.
169). Subsequently it was used as a stable, was
extensively repaired by T. G. Jackson in 1867–8 (NRO,
EH. 862), and is now vested in the National Trust. The
building, always of the present size, was finished to a
high architectural standard but the accommodation
provided was not great.
The two-storey building has rubble walls with
freestone quoins, and a stone-slated roof. The E. gable
wall and much of the adjoining stair turret including its
gable were largely rebuilt in 1868. The doorway has
hollow-chamfered jambs and four-centred head; adjacent
is a window of four round-headed lights and wide central
mullion below a hood mould. The stair turret has two
small slit windows each cut from a single stone, the
lower added in 1868. First-floor windows are of one and
three round-headed lights with hood moulds. Inside, a
ceiling having roll-and-hollow moulded beams and
chamfered joists has been reset at a higher level.
Fireplaces on each floor have been considerably
mutilated. The roof is modern.
Fig. 81 Easton-on-the-Hill (72)
Former Girls' School
(59) No. 20, originally a pair, two storeys, class 4c.
Date-panel 'W P M 1837'.
(60) No. 15, one storey and attics, class 1b, 17th-century; two-storey range on W. probably once a farm
(61) Adjacent to No. 15, one storey and attics, class
4a, 17th or early 18th-century. Banded limestone and
ironstone walls. Ruinous.
(62) Nos. 35, 37, originally a large 17th-century house,
the main range extensively rebuilt. The rear wall retains
a door with four-centred head, and chamfered mullioned
windows. On the S. is a cross wing with two-storey bay
window with canted sides and mullioned windows. (Not
(63) Nos. 31, 33, two-storey pair, flush dressings, sash
windows, class 7b, mid 19th-century.
(64) No. 14, one storey and attics, L-shaped, built at
different dates in the 17th and 18th centuries. Date-panel
'G U M 1740' on N. gable. Ruinous room on S.; one
(65) Nos. 10, 12, a pair of single-storey and attics class
4c houses, built after 1820 (Enclosure Map).
(66) No. 21, one storey and attics, class 6b, early 19th-century.
(67) No. 2, class 3a, now incorporating barn at one
(68) No. 1, one storey and attics, with bands of
ironstone in the walls, one room surviving from a larger
17th or 18th-century house. W. part rebuilt in the 19th
century as the White Horse public house. Former
bakehouse to E.
(69) No. 3, house and barn in one range, the house
probably class 4a. Date-panel 'W W M 1742' for William
Whitehead, slater, who leased it from Churchwardens in
that year with 1½ acres (0.625 hectares) of land (NRO,
(70) Dovecote, rectangular, 18th-century.
(71) No. 2 Porters Lane, originally a pair of class 4c,
two-storey houses with freestone dressings, built after
1820 (Enclosure Map).
(72) Former Girls' School (TF 016043; Fig. 81; Plate
121), established and built in 1830 by the Marchioness of
Exeter and placed under the aegis of the National Society
for Religious Education. The schoolroom has hipped
roof, gabled porch and freestone dressings. A second
room was added behind in 1849 to designs by Bryan
Browning. At the rear is a detached pyramidal-roofed
kitchen, and to one side is a mistress' house of class 6b
(Whellan, 689; National Society archives; BEO, Building
(73) No. 2, Rock House, class 6b, two storeys, sash
windows. Date-panel 'W G A 1834' for William and Ann
Goodwin; he inherited in 1833 (BEO, Court Book).
Kitchen wing added behind shortly after.
(74) No. 6, two storeys, class 4a. Date-panel 'R G A
1761' for member of Goodwin family. Rear wing added
before 1780 when second wing with date-slab was built.
Single-storey and attics wing to N.E. of main house is
perhaps a slightly earlier cottage of class 4c plan.
(75) No. 14, two-storey house of urban form (RCHM,
Stamford, class 12) with segmental bay window and first-floor sash windows.
(76) No. 16, two storeys, class 6, early 19th-century.
Ashlar architraves and central round-headed sash window.
(77) Exeter Arms Inn, two storeys, probably originally
class 4a. Date-panel 'Ino. Susa. Jackson 1765'. An 18th-century addition on the S. was originally a barn. At the
rear, two cottages added before 1851 (BEO, Court
(78) The Abbey, two storeys, class 5, early 18th-century. Mid 19th-century range on S. with flush
dressings, sash windows and hipped roof gave new
entrance and stair; sundial inscribed 'NARO VERA'.
(79) Nos. 38, 40, an unequal pair, two storeys, flush
dressings, sash windows, c. 1840.
Fig. 82 Easton-on-the-Hill (85)
Game Keeper's House
(80) The Oak Inn, irregular plan, two storeys, hipped
roof, flush dressings, sash windows, after 1820
(Enclosure Map). (Not entered)
(81) Nos. 66, 68, 70 (TF 00960392), row of two-storey
single-room houses with outshuts or a wing at rear,
shortly after 1820 (Enclosure Map).
(82) No. 72 (TF 00940390), two storeys, sash
windows, class 6b, after 1820 (Enclosure Map).
(83) Windmill (TF 009037), only stone tower remains.
The mill was described as 'newly built' in 1790 (Mercury,
(84) Former Gas Works, Park Walk, once known as
Gas Drift, established in 1863 at a cost of £ 1525
(Whellan), consists of a manager's house and retort
house. The latter, with a tall round-headed window, has
been lowered and is now flanked by lean-to
(85) Game Keeper's house (TF 006052; Fig. 82; Plate
119) built by the Marquess of Exeter in 1845 and so
perhaps designed by Browning. Two-storey picturesque
Jacobean L-shaped house, twin-flue stacks with open
crown finials, porch with turned wooden posts and
carved barge boards. Marquess' coronet and date '1845'
carved on gable.
(86) Easton Lodge Farm (TF 037023); after 1820
(Enclosure Map). Farm house, much altered in late 19th
century, and two yards bounded by cattle sheds and