Fig. 99 Harringworth Village Map
Harringworth is a parish of 1397 hectares on the S.
of the R. Welland. The village lies in the valley-bottom, and was formerly more extensive, as is
demonstrated by lanes and closes W. of the church
and earthworks on Scotgate Hill to the S. To the
E. lies the hamlet of Shotley, of medieval origin
(RCHM, Northants. I, Harringworth (6), (7)). A
bridge over the Welland is mentioned in 1410 but
the present bridge is modern (LRS, 57 (1963), 181).
Harringworth was a village of some importance;
by the end of the 13th century the church was one
of the four largest in the area. In the 13th century
the manor was owned by William de Cantelupe
who created a park c. 1234; a 15th-century hunting
lodge survives (32). Later in the 13th century the
manor passed to the La Zouche family who made
Harringworth one of their principal residences
(Bridges II, 316). In 1387 William la Zouche
obtained a charter for a fair and market, and a
licence to crenellate his house (Cal. Chart. (1341–
1417), 307). A market cross of about this date
survives (33) but the manor house, which was a
large and important building, has vanished except
for a small fragment and a fishpond ((3); RCHM,
Northants. I, Harringworth (8)). Francis Foxley
bought Harringworth and Bulwick from Lord
Zouche and in his will of 1617 divided these
villages between nine of his children; most of this
property was bought from them by Moses Tryon,
a London merchant of Flemish origin who took up
residence at Harringworth c. 1620 (PRO, Prob. 11/
133; NRO, T(B) 51, 111). After Moses' death in
1652 Harringworth ceased to be the seat of a
landowning family and the manor house was
Besides the private chapel at the manor house
there was a second chapel in the village parts of
which still stand but nothing is known of its
history (2). The Lords of the manor appear to have
bought up most of the copyholds during the post-medieval period. The population fell from about
100 families in 1719 to 82 in 1801, perhaps
continuing an earlier trend which has left a
straggling and discontinuous pattern of houses. The
Hearth Tax returns do not indicate an unusual
degree of poverty. Several good houses of the late
17th and early 18th century remain, probably
mainly built by the Tryon family, including the
gentry house (16) of the late 17th century, the
original status of which is unknown.
Fig. 100 Harringworth Church
(1) The Parish Church of St. John the Baptist (Fig.
100; Plate 33) stands on the N. side of the village behind
the main street. It consists of a Chancel, Nave, North and
South Aisles, West Tower with spire and South Porch. The
walls are mostly in coursed limestone rubble and larger
squared stones, but the S. aisle is built in high quality
ashlar some of which is banded with ironstone. The
roofs are low-pitched. The tower, of early 13th-century
character, may have been begun in the later 12th century
to judge from the form of the tower-arch capitals. At the
end of the 13th century the present chancel arch was
constructed and in the 14th century the nave, aisles and
S. porch were rebuilt. The chancel dates from the late
15th century and is of the same width as its predecessor,
presumably of the 13th century, as shown by the steeply
pitched roof weathering which survives on the E. face of
the nave wall. During the 17th century the piers of the
N. arcade were replaced; the moulding of the new
capitals may be compared with those of 1621 in
Apethorpe church. Also in the 17th-century the N.
clearstorey was rebuilt. In 1681–3 the spire was much
repaired, and possibly rebuilt; the work is recorded in the
church survey book of this date: '. . . to amend steeple
being much in decay' (NRO, X622 (7)). This survey
also refers to repairs to buttresses on the N. side of the
church. In the early 18th century a large burial vault was
added in the N. aisle by the Tryon family. A restoration
in 1891 was mostly concerned with reroofing.
The size of the early 13th-century tower indicates that
the church was a large one at this date. Subsequent work
continued to be of high quality, particularly the ashlar
walling used for the S. aisle in the 14th century. The
diagonal buttresses of the chancel show individuality in
design. Ironwork round the Tryon burial vault is
Architectural Description – The Chancel, of the 15th-century, has a high ogee-moulded plinth, two-stage side
buttresses and prow-shaped diagonal buttresses (Plate
35); the top weatherings of the latter are enriched with
grotesque animals and on the S.E. by an additional
human head. The five-light E. window has a wider
central light and a label which continues as a string-course; the tracery in the almost triangular head
comprises quatrefoils over the side lights, and a transom
and vertical tracery over the central light. In each side
wall is a three-light window with intersecting tracery in
a four-centred head, and on the S. is a similar window
but of two lights. The priest's door on the S. has an
original rear arch but the external square head is a late
alteration. The chancel arch of the late 13th century has
two chamfered orders and semi-octagonal responds
flanked by attached shafts with roll-moulded capitals and
bases. Above the arch, externally, is a steep-pitched
weathercourse of the former chancel roof.
The Nave (Plate 33) has a N. arcade comprising arches
of two chamfered orders of the 14th century and
octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases inserted
during the 17th century; the capitals have a pronounced
cyma reversa moulding. The S. arcade, all of the 14th
century, has arches uniform with those on the N. but the
octagonal piers have coved capitals and roll-moulded
bases (Fig. 101). Labels on the nave side of both arcades
terminate on male head stops. The 14th-century
clearstorey survives on the S. but that on the N. was
rebuilt in the 17th century. The four square-headed
clearstorey windows on the N. each have two pairs of
tall round-headed lights, the second and third windows
with cusping; those on the S. are smaller, square-headed,
of two lights with trefoil ogee heads with labels and head
The North Aisle, of the 14th century, has an ogee-moulded plinth and a continuous roll-moulded string-course below the windows. The eaves are plain but there
are low parapets on the end walls. The buttresses are of
two weathered stages. The E. and W. windows have
cusped intersecting tracery. Two windows in the N. wall
have quatrefoils in the head; all windows have external
labels with mask stops and internal labels with head
stops. The doorway has a head of three moulded orders
carried on triple attached shafts with moulded capitals
and bases; the pointed segmental rear arch is moulded
and on the jambs are shafts with capitals and bases. The
label terminates on crudely carved head stops. The E.
half of the aisle is occupied by a vault belonging to the
Tryon family (Plate 69). A vault containing the body of
Moses Tryon, who died in 1652, is referred to in Peter
Tryon's will of 1660 (NRO, T(B) 248/1) and burials
continued through the 17th century as recorded on the
monument of Charles Tryon (d. 1705; mon. (3)). The
present vault may have been built for him and his
ancestors. Although it appears to date from the early
years of the 18th century a change in detail indicates that
it was built in two phases, the present steps being in the
second. It consists of a raised platform, the burial
chamber below being entered by steps on the W.; two
flights of steps lead to the platform which was perhaps
used as a pew. Wrought iron railings and gates on the
W., and railings on the S., are composed of uprights and
standards with scroll-work finials and large scroll
The South Aisle, likewise 14th-century, has fine ashlar
walls; the E. part is banded with ironstone. It has an
ogee-moulded plinth and a roll-moulded string-course
below the windows. The gabled buttresses are of two
stages (Plate 35). The E. window has trefoil-headed
lights and a large quatrefoil in the head; the external label
has male and female head stops, but the inner label has
crowned heads although these are probably post-medieval. The first window in the S. wall is square-headed with trefoil-headed lights and a label with mask
stops; the inner label has head stops. The second window
has reticulated tracery and both the inner and outer labels
terminate on head stops. The S. doorway incorporates a
late 15th or early 16th-century doorway with depressed
four-centred head, square surround and spandrels carved
with leaf forms, set within the two-centred opening of a
14th-century doorway. The jambs of the latter have been
replaced by those of the Tudor doorway. The 14th-century arch is roll-moulded. The third window is
similar to the second varying only slightly in detail. In
the W. wall is a reset 13th-century window of two roll-moulded lights and a roundel. In the N.E. corner of the
aisle there is a 15th-century rood-loft stair with a
doorway having a depressed four-centred head.
Fig. 101 Harringworth Church
Details of N. and S. arcades, 17th and 14th-century
The West Tower of the early 13th century has a tower
arch of three chamfered and square orders (Plate 13);
these are repeated on jambs below coved capitals
enriched with flat leaf forms on the N. and water leaf on
the S. Above and to the N. of the arch is a small
rectangular window. Externally the tower is in three
stages separated by weathered string-courses with
clasping buttresses, that on the S.W. being larger to take
a vice. There is a lancet window on the ground stage on
the W. and another on the second stage on the S. In the
third stage are belfry openings each consisting of two
lights with a central shaft and capital, set within a
pointed arch having nook shafts with leaf-moulded
capitals. The amount of rebuilding that took place in the
17th century is uncertain, but the character of the cyma-type moulding at the head of the wall suggests that more
of the spire was reconstructed than is implied by the
change in masonry at the level of the lower lucarnes. The
octagonal spire has broaches above which are large corbel
heads of post-medieval character. There are three tiers of
lucarnes, the lower two of two lights, the upper of one
light. The top of the spire, rebuilt in recent years, carries
a weather cock.
The South Porch, of the 14th century, is not axial with
the S. doorway or the archway, but some symmetry is
gained by the low buttress on the S.W. corner. The
plinth is ogee-moulded and the eaves plain. The archway
is of two moulded orders, the outer decorated with nail-head and carried on three-quarter round responds; the
arch in ironstone, is 13th-century and probably reset.
Inside, on the E. is a stone bench.
The low-pitched nave Roof is 17th-century, partly
renewed in 1891. It is of four main bays each sub-divided.
Cambered tie beams braced to wall posts are supported
on wooden corbels; the tie beams carry king posts with
down braces, and short queen posts, purlins and
wind-braces. The simple aisle roofs, of eight bays with
purlins, are 17th-century, but have been restored.
Fittings – Bells: six; three by Mears, 1805; 2nd,
inscribed 1603, recast 1913; 5th, by Thomas Eayre, 1755;
6th, a priest's bell now loose in bell-chamber, inscribed
in Lombardic capitals 'Philipps Epc Lincoln spes mea in
deo est', probably for Philip Repington, bishop of
Lincoln 1405–20, said to come from Lyddington where
Repington had a house, and to be cast by John de
Colsale (correspondence with A. C. Scholes of
Harringworth). Bell-frame: braced frame above modern
one, probably 17th-century. Benefactors' table: framed
panel, 1803. Brass: in nave, of William Gardiner, once
minister, 1680, and Elizabeth his wife, 1719, panel
incised with emblems of mortality. Coffin: in churchyard,
stone, medieval. Communion rails: in S. aisle, oak,
symmetrically turned balusters, reset, 18th-century. Font:
square bowl with chamfered corners, three sides with
trefoil-headed panels, the fourth side plain, supported on
central drum and four octagonal corner-columns having
carved capitals and bases, 13th-century with some incised
decoration of the 17th century (Plate 38). Font-cover: ogee
brackets, 17th-century style, dated 1854. Fire hook: for
removing thatch, 18th or 19th-century. Glass: in chancel,
N. window, bird in roundel, 15th-century, and other
fragments; 1st window on S., nimbed eagle and small
head, 15th-century; in N. aisle, E. and N. windows,
various small pieces, perhaps 18th-century; in S. aisle,
roundels, perhaps 18th-century. Ironwork: see N. aisle for
ironwork associated with the Tryon mausoleum of the
early 18th century. Locker: in S. aisle, rebated recess,
Monuments and Floor slabs. Monuments: in N. aisle on E.
wall – (1), of Thomas Tryon, 1825, and (2), of Sarah
Tryon, 1798, both of simple classical design; on N. wall
– (3), of Charles Tryon, 1705, and of four earlier
generations of his family, inscription on drapery panel
flanked by cherubs against an architectural background
with cherubs' heads below and cartouche of arms of
Tryon impaling Savile with floral swags above (Plate 70);
(4), of Peter Tryon, Judith (Cullen) his wife, James and
Samuel, February 1711, sons of Peter, oval tablet with a
crested cartouche of arms of Tryon quarterly impaling
unidentified arms, ordered by Samuel according to his
will (Plate 70). Floor slabs: in nave – (1), of Matthew
Palmer, vicar of Harringworth from 1691, died 1752
aged 110, inscription in Latin with English translation
and incised winged figure in upper half; (2), of Rev.
Robert Smith, 1779; (3), of Rev. Thomas Matthews,
1816. Piscinae: (1), in chancel, cusped head from a former
window, fragment of medieval sinking; (2), in N. aisle,
trefoil head, quatrefoil drain sinking, 14th-century; (3), in
S. aisle, integral with sedilia, continuous jambs and head,
quatrefoil drain sinking, 14th-century, perhaps reset.
Pulpit: oak, originally octagonal now extended, the faces
decorated with shallow arcading below panels carved
with foliage, 17th-century; modern shelf, base and stair.
Screen: across chancel arch, of six side bays and wider
central bay, coved cornice extending to nave walls, tall
shafts with embattled capitals, openwork tracery in each
bay and dado panels with blind cusped tracery enriched
with beasts, birds, flowers and human heads, 15th-century (Plate 53). Seating: (1), two fragments of pew
ends, with blind cusped tracery, detached, 15th-century;
(2), simple oak pew, 17th-century. Sedilia: (1), in
chancel, three bays, depressed ogee heads, worn and
mutilated, 15th-century; (2), in S. aisle, integral with
piscina, three bays, continuous moulded jambs and head,
labels terminating on head stops, two of which are
original, 14th-century, reset. Weather-vane: cock, gilt.
Miscellanea: (1), two fragments carved with chevron
ornament, built into the tower, purpose unknown,
perhaps pre-Conquest. Loose in S. aisle: (2), stone with
equal-armed cross in relief, probably medieval; (3),
fragment of small font or reliquary carved with
round-headed blind arcading with water leaf capitals
which returns on the angle, early 13th-century; (4), two
head stops, one human, one grotesque, 14th-century.
(2) No. 25 (Fig. 102), a pair of two-storey cottages,
now united, incorporates part of a 13th-century two-cell
chapel of which the chancel arch remains. The building is
probably that referred to in 1577 as 'the cottage or chapel
called the Hermitage' (NRO, Bru. J. VI.II); in 1719 the
heads of the windows were still visible (Bridges II, 320).
The E. cottage occupies the chancel, the walls of which
partly remain particularly at the S.E. corner which has a
chamfered string at a low level. The thickness of the N.
wall before recent rebuilding can be detected internally.
The W. cottage is totally of c. 1800 and smaller than the
nave it replaced. The chancel arch is blocked and exposed
only on the W.; it has a stilted head of two chamfered
orders, the outer with pyramid stops. The responds have
a chamfered inner order and the capitals are deep and
Fig. 102 Harringworth (2)
Plan and section to show former chancel arch
The walls are of sandstone and limestone rubble, but
the S. wall of the W. dwelling is of sandstone ashlar. All
the openings have wooden lintels. The roof is thatched.
Alterations to the S. wall of the E. cottage in 1980
revealed a reused 13th-century capital with foliage
(3) Manor Cottages, Nos. 50, 51 (Fig. 103; Plate 94),
of two storeys, part with attics, is the surviving fragment
of the Manor House. It has rubble walls except for an
area of ashlar containing windows of the 15th century.
The earliest known manor house on the site was
described in 1272 as having a great hall, great chamber
with a fireplace, garderobe with a fireplace, a chamber of
the religious men with a fireplace; there was also a high
gatehouse with a garderobe, a great kitchen, stable,
granary and chapel. All were built of cut stone and
roofed with stone (PRO, C. 133/2). This manor house
was inherited by William la Zouche in 1299 (Cal. IPM
Ed. I.III. 568) and in 1387 another William la Zouche
obtained a licence to crenellate the house (Cal. Chart.
(1341–1417), 307). This major building was described by
Leland as 'builded castelle like' (Itinerary I, 14), and a
map of 1630 (NRO) shows the outer (S.) and inner (N.)
courtyards with buildings ranged along the N. and W.
sides of the latter. The chapel, with a monument to
George Lord Zouche who died in 1569 lay between the
W. range and the church and was in ruins in 1719
(Bridges II, 320). The main residential quarters were
presumably in the adjacent W. range, and the surviving
cottages were the central part of the N. range and
consequently would have been a subsidiary part of the
house. The manor was bought by Moses Tryon, a
London merchant, soon after 1617, and it was probably
he who rebuilt the surviving range. The house had 13
hearths in 1673, but declined in importance after the
rebuilding of Bulwick Hall in 1676, and was largely
dismantled by 1719.
The existing building consists of a long range which
was largely refaced and re-roofed in the early 19th
century. The S. front breaks forward at the W. end
where a thick, ashlar, wall of medieval date is
incorporated. At this point is a ground-floor window set
in a larger, medieval, opening; above is a weathered
string course and an upper window of the 15th century
with two cusped ogee-headed lights in a rectangular
chamfered surround with a hood mould and internal
hinge pins for shutters. The remainder of the S. wall was
rebuilt or refaced in the early 19th century. In the E.
gable are indications of a former steeply-pitched gable
and a blocked first-floor external doorway; a similar
blocked doorway exists in the otherwise featureless N.
wall. A tall N. wing of the early 17th century has two
three-light hollow-chamfered mullioned windows on the
ground floor and another similar but with a transom on
the upper. The W. gable has been modified and the
N.W. angle shows evidence of the continuation of walls
to the N. and W. Set diagonally in the angle between the
range and the wing is a 17th-century single-light window
of unknown purpose. Internally there are no medieval
features. The W. stair has a moulded handrail and square
newels with shaped tops and is 17th-century.
Fig. 103 Harringworth (3) Manor Cottages
(4) Nos. 46, 47, 48, two storeys with thatched roof; of
17th-century origin and uncertain development but in the
19th century it afforded one class 4c and two class 4a
cottages. The house is now one dwelling.
(5) House (Fig. 104; Plate 101) of two storeys with
attics and an original cellar under the parlour, parapeted
gables, symmetrical three-room plan, early 18th-century.
The cellar is lit by mullioned windows. The first and
attic floors are of plaster. The roof has butt-purlins and
collars, exposed to the rooms.
Fig. 104 Harringworth (5)
(6) No. 45, originally single-storey, now two storeys,
class 4a, early 19th-century. (Not entered)
(7) No. 44, of one storey and attics, thatched roof,
class 4a with entry and stair against the stack, late 17th-century.
(8) Courtyard House, No. 41, originally one storey
and attics, class 6b, early 19th-century, later heightened
to two full storeys.
(9) A one-storey and attics class 4a house of 17th-century origin with three-light mullioned windows on S.
gable; extended to N.
(10) Former School was built in 1817 (Christ Church
College, Oxford, MS Estates 58: 1860 questionnaire) by
Mr. Tryon with a grant of £50 from the School Building
Society (Whellan, 801). It comprises a single room with
side and end windows. Welsh slate roof.
(11) Tal Cottage, one storey and attics, formerly a pair
of class 4a houses with entrances in the back wall only,
built c. 1800 and now a single dwelling.
(12) No. 35 comprises a two-storey two-room house
of 18th-century date, later converted into two dwellings
and now forming one room. The wide fireplace at the S.
end has in the back a cupboard with a door and wooden
lining; a large fireplace may have been removed from the
N. end. A 19th-century range of one storey and attics is
on the S.
(13) House, two storeys with pantiled roof, originally
class 3a, retains back-to-back fireplaces. It has been
extensively modernized but is of 17th or 18th-century
(14) Two storeys, class 4a, early 19th-century.
(15) The Old Vicarage (Fig. 105). In 1816 the vicarage
was described as small and in a 'wretched state of repair',
and was soon after replaced although some of the earlier
building appears to have been retained. This new
building survives in the centre of the present house
which was constructed from designs submitted in 1833
by William Vendy, a builder of Bulwick, and Joseph
Cousins, carpenter of Seaton. They estimated for the
demolition of the older part of the house, presumably
belonging to the vicarage mentioned in 1816, and for
enlarging the remainder; their bill for £488.17.4. was
paid in 1835 (Christ Church College, Oxford MS Estates
58; NRO, Plans of Parsonages, Box 3). In about 1860 a
third storey was added to the central and northern
The house has hipped roofs of Welsh slate and coursed
rubble walls, the thin partitions of 1833–5 being of brick.
The 1833 estimate provided for the replacement of
timber lintels by ones of stone. The central block was
partitioned in 1833–5 to form an entrance, stair hall,
kitchen and lesser compartments; plaster cornices have
roll mouldings referred to in the specification as
mopstick mouldings. The two main rooms on the S.,
entered through a lobby, have grey marble fireplaces
enriched with roundels or frets and estimated to cost £5
each in 1833.
Fig. 105 Harringworth (15)
The Old Vicarage Reconstruction of plan in 1834
(16) Manor House (Fig. 106; Plate 96), of two storeys
and attics, with hipped roofs, is a well-preserved
example of a class 8 house of the late 17th century. The
rubble walls have freestone quoins; the main windows
are of two lights with mullions and transoms, and
centrally in each side wall are single-light windows with
transoms which originally lit closets beside the stacks.
The chimney flues combine to form a large central stack.
A rear wing is secondary, possibly 18th-century, and was
built against a projecting kitchen chimney stack in the E.
wall of the house; the rebuilding of part of the N. wall
has unified the wing with the house. The W. front of
five bays has a central round-headed doorway with
quoins, voussoirs and keystone of the mid 19th century.
Original fittings of the 17th century include the stair
rising in three flights with closed string, moulded
handrail, turned balusters and square, sunk-panelled newels, a first-floor stone fireplace with frieze
and side pieces decorated with elongated scrolls in relief
and a fireplace with depressed head and continuous
mouldings. The remaining fittings are early to mid 19th-century.
Fig. 106 Harringworth (16) The Manor House
To the E. of the house is a stable and wash house, and
a two-storey barn, both early to mid 19th-century.
(17) The White Swan Inn, of two storeys and attics,
with neatly coursed rubble walls, was built as an inn in
the second quarter of the 19th century. It incorporates
some reused 16th-century material and imitation features,
and is an interesting example of antiquarianism, perhaps
based on some remains of an earlier structure. It
comprises three main rooms, the middle one breaking
forward with a gable to the street; a central projection at
the rear contains a cellar and a stair. On the street front
the former central doorway is blocked and there are six
reused 16th-century windows with casement-moulded
surrounds and four-centred headed lights beneath hood-moulds; two of the reused windows have scratched
inscriptions: '1786 W. Bull' and '1780'. The other
windows are in the 17th-century style. Inside there are
reused chamfered or hollow-moulded beams. One of the
back-to-back fireplaces has an ashlar surround with a
four-centred head. Two staircases, one in the N. room
and one in the rear projection, have moulded handrails
and turned balusters in the 17th-century style. The
partition between the central room and the rear
projection is timber-framed.
(18) Post Office, two storeys and attics, 17th-century,
perhaps originally class 1a. The central room and parlour
were divided by a stud partition painted on both sides
with a black pattern on white; the partition has been
moved one metre into the parlour. The long
compartment behind the stack was unheated and has
been sub-divided and the door moved; the stairs are in a
slight projection in the rear wall of this room. On the
W. front is a four-light window in sandstone; there is a
similar single-light window on the N., now blocked.
(19) A three-storey house, perhaps class 6, and a two-storey service range at the side, early 19th-century.
Freestone quoins, parapeted gables and Welsh slate roof.
Front doorway with geometrical pattern fanlight.
(20) Medieval chimney top (Plate 83) of limestone,
now reset on a disused 19th-century smithy. The
octagonal shaft set on a square base has weathered
mouldings and gabled openings alternately of one or two
lights. Above is an octagonal spire with four small
gabled openings on alternate faces, and a crocket-finial.
(21) Cross Farm, two storeys, three-room plan, is of
16th-century origin and was heightened and in part
rebuilt in the 19th century. The N. and S. gables and
possibly the chimney stack of the early house survive.
The N. gable is of ironstone masonry with a chamfered
plinth. The heightening is in limestone. The front
elevation has a central porch and windows with mullions
and semicircular headed lights, probably all 19th-century.
Inside, fittings are generally 19th-century but ogee-moulded beams in the N. and central rooms survive
from the earlier house. Some first-floor rooms have
Farm Buildings include a five-bay barn, 18th-century.
(22) Lime Farm (Fig. 107; Plate 99), two storeys and
attics, neatly coursed rubble with quoins of
Northampton Sandstone, was built on an L-shaped plan
in the late 17th century. It has mullioned windows with
hood-moulds and parapeted gables. The street front has
no door. Inside the W. room has a large fireplace which
may have backed on another so heating the central room.
Other partitions of the 17th century are of timber frame.
The two E. rooms in the main range were originally
service rooms and the position of the original stair is
shown by the modern one. Chamfered axial beams in the
W. and middle ground-floor rooms have triangular
tongued stops as does a door frame. The fireplace, with
bread oven, in the rear wing is an addition and masks an
original window. The roofs of the main range and wing
are similar with two tiers of butt-purlins, collars and
convex wind-braces. The closed trusses have purlins held
in place by brackets.
(23) One storey and attics, class 4a, 17th-century.
(24) Two storeys, Welsh-slated roof, class 4a, mid
19th-century. Fanlight with lattice glazing bars.
Fig. 107 Harringworth (22)
(25) One storey and attics, modern tiled roof.
Formerly two single-room cottages, now united, the S.
early 19th-century and the N. earlier; both incorporate
reused 17th-century material.
(26) Nos. 13 and 14 are two cottages now united, of
two storeys and early 19th-century date; the E. was
originally class 4a and the W. class 4c. No. 14 with
pantiled roof, No. 13 re-roofed with plain tiles.
(27) Shotley Farm House, formerly of one storey and
attics, now of two storeys, Welsh slate roof, class 2,
17th-century, with slightly later fourth room on the W.
To the S. and W. of the house are two crew yards and
several Farm Buildings, four of which are pre-1800: four-bay barn, probably late 17th-century; five-bay barn, early
18th-century; stables for five horses, 18th-century;
adjoining the stables is a two-storey granary.
(28) Post Cottage, No. 12, one storey and attics,
thatched roof, class 5, timber-framed cross walls, early
(29) No. 11 (Fig. 108), one storey and attics, thatched
roof, single-room plan, 17th-century; a further range,
possibly a separate tenement, was added on the W. in the
early 18th-century. A blocked window in the formerly
external W. wall is preserved in the attic.
Fig. 108 Harringworth (29)
(30) Pear Tree Cottage, two storeys, thatched roof,
consists of a long range, of which the N. end has been
recently rebuilt. The central room with a first-floor
ovolo-moulded single-light window is 17th-century. The
S. room is early 19th-century.
(31) Shotley Cottage, a two-storey house with
symmetrical three-bay front elevation was built in 1829
by John Sculthorpe; above the doorway is a panel
inscribed 'IS 1829'. It has an L-shaped plan and the
staircase rises within a projection in the angle. A course
of flagstones in the N.E. gable wall may be for damp
proofing. Welsh slate roof. Early 19th-century fittings. In
the garden in front of the house is a brick
Congregational Chapel built in 1867 (Whellan).
(32) Harringworth Lodge (SP 932953) (Fig. 109; Plate
83) stands to the N. of a large fishpond in the centre of a
former deer park. The park was created by William de
Cantelupe, who had obtained Harringworth by 1232,
and was completed by 1234 when eight does and two
bucks were sent from Rockingham Forest to stock it
(Bridges II, 316; Cal. Chart. (1226–57), 156; Cal. Close
(1234–7), 43; RCHM, Northants. I, Harringworth (9)). In
1272 the lodge then standing in the park was described as
'a house build of stone and lime and roofed in stone: a
chamber with cellar and two great cowhouses, one great
fishpond' (PRO, C 133/2). The present lodge dates from
the 15th century when the la Zouche family were
owners, and in its original form seems to have provided
similar accommodation to its predecessor; both buildings
were presumably hunting lodges. In the late 16th or early
17th century a two-storey block was added at each end.
These additions indicate a change of use, probably to a
farmhouse; this change can be associated with the
introduction of agrarian activities to supplement the
keeping of deer in the park at about this time (map of
1619 at Bulwick Hall; Cal. S.P. Dom. Add. (1625–49),
30). In the early 19th century a wing of two storeys and
attics was added on the S.; the lodge was by then the
centre of a 400 acre (166.6 hectare) farm, and the
buildings in the farmyard to the N. date from the middle
of the century.
The 15th-century range has masonry ground-floor and
gable walls and timber-framed first-floor side walls.
Much of the stonework has been refaced but the W. bay
of the S. wall is of large squared blocks, supported by a
later buttress, and includes the moulded hood and
chamfered surround of a 16th-century window. In the E.
bay of the same wall is a 15th-century window (Plate
83), now internal, of two cusped ogee-headed lights with
a blank shield in the spandrel, resembling the window at
the former manor house (mon. (3)). The tops of the
masonry side walls are marked at first-floor level by a
hollow-moulded string-course, but on the N. the central
length of the string is of timber, above a wide interval in
the main wall, which is now infilled with rubble. A
corresponding change in the masonry exists in the centre
of the S. wall, indicating that originally the central bay
was open or timber-framed. The close studding of the
timber-framed first floor wall is visible on the N., and is
infilled with stone slates; evidence for three narrow
windows can be deduced. Internally there is a large
blocked ground-floor fireplace at the W. end, and a first-floor fireplace supported on three large rounded corbels
at the E. The central bay is marked by two heavy
longitudinal beams on the ground floor. The roof is of
three bays with swell-headed posts, cambered tiebeams,
clasped purlins and curved wind-braces. There is no
evidence for internal partitions.
The two later blocks on the E. and W. were both built
c. 1600 but have been much altered. That on the E. has
two large rounded corbels at the sill level of an upper
window on the N., probably medieval but reset; it is
approached from the W. at first floor by a doorway with
stop-chamfered surround. The W. block has two-stage
buttresses on the S. and a wide fireplace. The 19th-century S. wing has tall windows with wooden mullions
and transoms and iron casements.
Fig. 109 Harringworth (32) Harringworth Lodge
(33) Market Cross (Plate 74) of the 14th century stands
in an open triangular space at the junction of the Laxton.
Wakerley and Gretton roads. It may be associated with
the grant in 1387 to William la Zouche of an annual fair
at Harringworth and a market on Tuesdays (Cal. Chart.
(1341–1417), 307). On the stepped plinth is set a square
base and a tall tapering lobed shaft. The present cross-head was added to the shaft in 1850 (C. Markham 'The
Stone Crosses of the County of Northampton'. AASRP
vol. 23, p. 175).