Nassington is a parish of 1015 hectares on the W.
bank of the R. Nene, and in the Forest of
Rockingham. The present parish includes the extra-parochial forest area of Sulehay, amounting to 430
hectares and added in 1869. The village streets
form three sides of a square. The church and
manor houses stand in one corner, on Lower
Estuarine beds, and probably mark the nucleus of
the original settlement. Station Road forms the E.
arm of the village and is on river gravel, suggesting
that it may be an extension of the settlement. By
the Conquest it was an important royal possession
with a very large masonry church the greater part
of which still survives. In Domesday Book
Nassington included Apethorpe, and presumably
also Yarwell which later became a chapelry of
Between 1110 and 1123 Henry I endowed a
prebendal stall at Lincoln with the churches of
Nassington, Woodnewton, Tansor and Southwick
with their lands and tithes (LRS, 27 (1931), 30–1).
Interlocking boundaries suggest that the site of the
prebendal house was taken from the manor house
site. The prebendaries were usually able churchmen
and several became bishops; the prebendal house,
which dates from the 13th century, still stands (3).
The prebendal estate came to form a second lesser
manor. The main manor was held by the owners
of Apethorpe from the late 15th century onwards.
None was resident, and the manor house (4) was
occupied by a tenant.
By 1673 the village was large, with 94 families;
in 1801 the number had risen to 104. This is a
relatively large population for a parish of this size,
but rights of common in Sulehay would have
alleviated the consequent land shortage. The Hearth
Tax in 1673 records a less than average proportion
of exemptions and of single-hearth houses,
suggesting a level of wealth above normal. One
basis of this prosperity was possibly the growing
and weaving of hemp, a crop said in 1551 to give
good returns (NRO, W(A) 4.XVI.5). Improvements to the navigation of the Nene in the early
18th century immediately gave rise to a modest
trade in the village, mainly in timber, grain and
coal, but the opening of the railway in 1879
diverted this trade away from the river. Wharves
and a few ancillary buildings remain (30, 41, 45).
Fig. 160 Nassington Village Map
At enclosure in 1778 there were no outlying
farms, and all farm buildings which survive away
from the village centre are of the late 19th century.
Almost 60 per cent of the tenements in the village
were then copyhold and these are generally smaller
than the customary and leasehold tenements
associated with the manor. These leasehold
tenements include most of the farms and also most
of the vacant plots, indicating a policy by the Earls
of Westmorland of amalgamating tenements in
order to form larger farms. The copyholders had
smaller areas of farmland, and trades, for example
blacksmithing (7) and brickmaking (19) were
associated with copyholds. Significantly most of
the fashionable houses particularly those of the 19th
century, are on copyhold tenements, whereas the
older, thatched houses belong to the Westmorland
estate. It appears that there was a change in
management on the Westmorland estate at about
the end of the 17th century, after which date
rebuilding and repair of houses was carried out on
only a modest scale.
The keeper's lodge of Sulehay Walk was a large
building of importance, a fragment of which
(1) Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin and All
Saints (Fig. 161; Plate 1), stands on high ground at the
W. end of the village. It comprises a Chancel, Nave with
North and South Aisles, West Tower with North and South
Chambers, and a South Porch. The walls are mostly of
squared limestone, but the lower stages of the tower are
built in coursed rubble with quoins. The main roofs are
flat-pitched and the porch and the two western chambers
The earliest parts of the fabric belong to the Anglo-Saxon period and include the W. wall of the nave and
the W. tower although the latter has been encased
externally at a later date and may originally have taken
the form of a tall western porch. There are two
identifiable Saxon features; a small triangular-headed
doorway placed high above the tower arch, and a
number of long-and-short quoins which form the S. W.
angle of the nave. It has been suggested that the Saxon
nave may have been the same size as the present nave on
the evidence of proportion, but the E., N. and S. walls
appear to be entirely later (VCH, Northants. II, 588;
Taylor and Taylor, I, 455). The two surviving Saxon
features are probably of different dates being
architecturally unrelated: the long-and-short quoins are
not in line with the W. face of the tower wall. There is
little evidence to show whether this disparity implies that
the nave associated with the quoins was built before or
after the tower, but the latter is the more probable. Such
an interpretation presupposes that there was an earlier
Saxon nave against which the present tower was built
and that this older nave was replaced by one which has
the surviving long-and-short quoins.
Fig. 161 Nassington Church
A number of alterations were made to the tower in the
late 12th century. The exterior was encased as indicated
by the greater thickness of the N., S. and W. walls; the
interior masonry of all four walls is homogeneous and of
the Saxon period. Also in the 12th century a wide arch
was inserted in the E. wall of the tower and a large
window in the W. wall. This window was replaced by a
doorway in the early 13th century.
The existence of a former S. aisle, perhaps of the early
13th century, is demonstrated by the survival of a short
length of wall overlapped by the W. end of the present
aisle and by the exceptionally shallow S. porch, which
was curtailed when the aisle was widened. There was
probably a similar narrow aisle on the N. side. The
present aisle is of the mid 13th century but the N.
doorway is reset and may have come from the earlier
aisle. The W. ends of these early aisles terminated as
chambers, which survive on the N. and S. sides of the
tower. The chancel arch, the N. and S. nave arcades and
the S. aisle were rebuilt in the early 14th century. The
chancel was entirely rebuilt in the 15th century, and a
vestry of this date has been removed. Also of the 15th
century are the nave clearstorey, the octagonal belfry
stage and the spire, but the last was rebuilt in 1640.
The church was restored in 1885 (NRO, Faculty, M.L.
1120, 44–46 (1884)), but the ancient fabric was generally
respected. It is evident that from Saxon times the church
was a building of considerable size. The quality of the
13th-century N. aisle and the 15th-century upper stage of
the tower also demonstrates the continuing importance
of the church throughout the medieval period. The lower
part of a decorated Saxon cross shaft survives. There are
extensive areas of medieval wall-painting.
Architectural Description — The Chancel, of late 15th-century date, has an ogee-moulded plinth, three-stage
buttresses and embattled parapets. The N. buttress is
modern. Inside, the floor level is one step lower than that
of the nave, a difference which is apparently original.
The E. window has cinque-foiled lights with quatrefoils
in a four-centred head, and jambs continuing to the floor;
it was much restored in 1885 and the sill raised. Three-light windows on the N. and S. have four-centred heads
and intersecting tracery. On the N. a blocked doorway
to a former vestry, and on the S. a priest's doorway,
have four-centred heads and continuous moulded jambs.
The earlier 14th-century chancel arch is slightly off-centre with the later chancel. The capitals and bases of its
responds differ in detail but conform with the responds
of the adjacent nave arcades; the arch is of two
chamfered orders and rests on semi-octagonal responds.
Externally above the chancel arch is a steeply pitched
weather course relating to the roof of the former chancel.
Above this is a flat-pitched weather course of unknown
significance. Between these features and near the S. E.
corner of the nave is a trefoil-headed recess with cuttings
in the sides to receive the bar for a sanctus bell.
The Nave (Plate 2), has an early 14th-century N.
arcade with arches of three chamfered orders terminating
with pyramid stops, and labels have head and mask stops
(Plates 21, 29); the octagonal piers and responds have
moulded capitals and roll-moulded bases uniform with
the N. respond of the chancel arch. The S. arcade varies
slightly from that on the N. and the E. respond is
distinctly plainer; labels end on mask stops or head stops
(Plate 29). In the N. E. corner are remains of a doorway
to a rood loft, and patches in the chancel arch suggest
beam housings associated with this loft. The 15th-century clearstorey has an embattled parapet, three
windows on the N. and five on the S.; each has three
cinque-foiled lights and a four-centred head.
The North Aisle, of the mid 13th-century, built in
bands of high and low courses, has two-stage weathered
buttresses, a half-round string with a fillet and plain
parapets with gargoyles carved as grotesque heads (Plate
21). The E. window has intersecting Y-tracery with
jambs having capitals and bases (Plate 26); the inner
arrises have similar jamb shafts, and the labels, both in
and out, have head stops. The windows in the N. wall
are of different designs (Plates 26, 27), the pair to the E.
perhaps emphasizing the limits of a chapel. They have
graduated lancets in plate tracery and inner jamb shafts,
and the remaining four to the W. have Y-tracery. The
W. pair are spaced to allow for a doorway between
them. This doorway of transitional character has a round
head of two orders, the inner with a roll-and-fillet arris
moulding supported on three quarter-round shafts with
miniature moulded capitals and bases; the outer order,
keel-moulded with a label enriched with paterae, rests on
nook shafts with water leaf capitals (Plate 15). The whole
doorway has probably been reset. The South Aisle, of the
early 14th century, has a double chamfered plinth, two-stage gabled buttresses and plain parapets with gargoyles
carved with grotesque heads. At the S. W. corner the
aisle wall overlaps the wall of the former aisle and a
buttress. The 15th-century E. window has a four-centred
head, casement moulded jambs and cinquefoil headed
lights. The side windows have reticulated tracery and the
labels have stops carved as lion and human heads. The S.
doorway has continuous wave-moulded jambs and
remains of head stops.
The West Tower, of Saxon origin and cased externally
in the 12th century, is of three stages separated by plain
chamfered strings (Plate 1). At the N. W. and S. W.
corners are chamfered plinths. Against the two lower
stages on the W. are two weathered 15th-century
buttrresses. The fourth, or belfry, stage was added in the
15th century and consists of a square base capped by
squat broaches leading to a battlemented octagon above;
rising the full height of the stage is a two-light
transomed window in each face. On the diagonals are
small buttresses terminating as pinnacles with small
flying buttresses to the spire. The octagonal spire with
crockets was rebuilt in 1640, a date cut boldly on the sill
of the W. lucarne; on the S. lucarne are the initials 'F. W.'
for Francis Willcocks, vicar. There are two tiers of
lucarnes, the lower of two lights, the upper of one. The
tower arch, of the late 12th century, has responds with
square abaci and roll-moulded bases with spurs; the N.
capital has stylized foliage and the S. capital has been
partly renewed, the later part being carved with crude
leaf-forms. Above the tower arch is the outline of a
round-headed recess which Dryden records as having
splayed jambs on the E. side; the W. side has been
masked by new masonry but the evidence suggests a
double-splayed internal window, perhaps of Saxon date
(NCL, Dryden coll.). Higher up the tower is a blocked
triangular-headed doorway, probably of the Saxon
period (Plate 5); the jambs are plain on the E. and
rebated on the W. and the threshold is worn. The 13th-century W. doorway is of three orders; the arch
mouldings are enriched with two rows of dog-tooth
decoration and spring from moulded abaci supported on
engaged nook shafts. Above this, and visible internally,
is a blocked round-headed rear arch of a 12th-century
window. A 13th-century quatrefoil pierces the upper
stages of the W. wall.
The North Tower-chamber, of the early 13th century,
has a steep lean-to roof, and a shallow N. W. buttress.
The E. wall is probably post-medieval. In the N. and W.
walls are single-light lancet windows; that on the N. is
entirely modern but may be a replacement. The South
Tower-chamber is externally uniform with that on the N.
except for a band of dog-tooth decoration at the eaves,
and a post-medieval doorway in the S. wall. Of the
lancet windows, that on the S. is modern and possibly a
replacement, but that on the W. is largely original.
Inside, the E. arch of two chamfered orders is supported
on cone-shaped brackets with capitals enriched with nail-head ornament. In the N.E. corner and forming the
external angle of the nave are several quoins arranged in
long-and-short fashion; they are recessed to form a
pilaster-like strip at the angle, and at the base is a square
plinth-block. These quoins continue externally, above the
The 13th-century South Porch was rebuilt in 1885 on
the old foundations so preserving the abnormally shallow
plan which was probably the result of foreshortening
when the aisle was widened in the 14th century (Plate
25). It has a gable parapet and eaves. The archway has
two chamfered orders separated by a band of dog-tooth
decoration, the inner carried on semi-octagonal responds,
the outer on nook shafts; the label is enriched with a
band of dog-tooth decoration and the respond capital is
incised with leaf-forms.
The Roof of the nave is flat-pitched, of twelve bays
with alternate principal and secondary cambered tie
beams and side purlins. The aisle roofs, double-pitched
internally, of six bays, have cambered tie beams, ridge
pieces and purlins. All are 15th-century and much
Fittings – Bells: five; 1st. 1874; 2nd by Toby Norris,
1686; 3rd by Eayre, 18th-century; 4th by Thomas
Norris, 1642; 5th by Thomas Osborn of Downham,
Norfolk, 1801. Clock: not in situ, in tower, with wooden
frame, probably 18th-century. Coffins and Coffin lids:
Coffin, in S. aisle, tapered, with plain lid, medieval.
Coffin lids, all early 13th-century: in N. aisle – (1),
complete lid with roll-moulded edge, and carved with a
cross in relief, the arms linked by curved brackets,
double omega ornament on shaft and a stepped base
enriched with a cross paty (Plate 7); (2), fragment with
omega ornament having scroll terminals; (3) fragment
with cross having fleur-de-lis terminals; (4), fragment
with cross having leaf terminals; (5), as (2); (6), fragment
with plain cross; (7), as (2); (8), fragment with cross shaft
elaborated by two cross bars; (9), fragment with cross as
(1). In S. aisle – (10), as (9); (11), fragment with foliated
cross. Cross shafts: (1) (Plate 6), now on modern base in
N. aisle, recorded by Bonney at the W. end of the S.
aisle in 1809 (NRO, 983, 49) probably dates from the
end of the 10th century and consists of the lower part of
the shaft. It is carved in relief within raised margins. On
the front face is a representation of the Crucifixion
flanked by figures bearing the lance and the sponge, and
at the top are roundels showing the sun and the moon;
above is the lower part of a figure in a flared skirt, with
feet pointing outwards, probably from a Resurrection
scene. The back face is carved with three circles and
interlacing. The sides are narrower, one being carved
with interlaced cables, the other a vine scroll. (2), in
churchyard, rectangular base with recess for cross shaft,
medieval. Door: at W. end of N. aisle, with crude
planking and large horse-shoe type hinge, post-medieval.
Font (Plate 39): 13th-century, on a foot-pace of 1884,
octagonal bowl carved in relief with two bands of
arcading; each face of the stem is incised with a large,
rather crude, fleur-de-lis, possibly of the 17th century,
and on the base are four ball-flowers. Glass: in heads of
S. aisle windows, with decoration of foliage and acorns,
and roundels with foliage pattern; probably 14th-century.
Hour-glass stand: attached to pulpit, made of two iron
rings with uprights, 17th-century.
Monuments and Floor slabs. Monuments: in N. aisle – on
W. wall (1), of Sarah Linton, 1837, sarcophagus-shaped,
by Smith of Stamford; (2), of John Males, 1833,
sarcophagus-shaped. In S. aisle, on S. wall (3), of Griffin
King, 1796; in S. porch (4), of Rev. Christopher Crouch,
1746, rector. Floor slabs: in chancel – (1), of Rev. Hewett
Linton and his wife Sarah, 1835; (2), of John Thompson,
1820; (3), of William Linton, son of (1), 1834; in N. aisle
(5), of R. H., 1744; in S. aisle (6), of G. King, 1796.
Paintings: in nave – (1), above chancel arch, a Doom
painting with Christ blessing, the Virgin on left and
Apostles ranged on either side; colours generally red,
blue, and yellow, condition poor, early 15th-century. On
N. wall (2), St. Martin on white horse dividing his cloak
with the beggar; early 15th-century (Plate 42). In N. aisle
– (3), on splays of the windows and on the E. wall,
nimbed standing figures, early 14th-century. On N. wall
(4), between 2nd and 3rd windows, probably the Wheel
of Fortune or possibly the Wheel of the Five Senses
(Plate 42), and (5), below (4), St. Michael weighing souls
with the Virgin interceding on right, a devil on the left,
and a small supplicant figure in centre; late 14th-century.
In S. aisle, on N. wall (6), masonry pattern in red with
plant-forms, early 14th-century. Piscina: in S. aisle, on S.
wall, trefoil-headed recess with sexfoil sinking, early
14th-century. Pulpit: oak, octagonal, round-headed arcade
enriched with guilloche ornament, below panels of
strapwork and a dentilled cornice, 17th century; the stone
base dates from 1884. Screen: reset in N. aisle, two bays
with cusped sub-divisions, 15th-century. Sedilia: in
chancel, S. wall, sill of E. window carried down to form
seats, the W. seat being at a lower level. Miscellanea:
loose in S. aisle, part of a shaft enriched with lozenge-pattern filled with paterae, mid 12th-century; corbel,
grotesque head, 13th-century.
(2) Former Congregational Chapel (Fig. 162) has a
date-stone inscribed 'Congregational Zion Church 1839'.
Rectangular plan with Welsh slate roof, round-headed E.
windows, formerly with central entrance on the W.
Inside, a W. gallery, since renewed, and a modern
inserted upper floor.
Fig. 162 Nassington (2)
Former Congregational Chapel
(3) Prebendal Manor House (Fig. 163; Plate 76). The
prebend of Nassington was established in Lincoln
Cathedral in the early 12th century, the endowment
consisting of the church of Nassington and its land,
tithes, etc. The present house, built in the 13th century,
was occupied by the prebendary and his tenants until the
prebend was dissolved in 1836. The endowment was
generous and this is reflected in the size of the house and
the status of several of the prebendaries. How many of
them lived here is not certain, but the house was
occupied by the prebendary in the early 17th century
(LRS, 23 (1925), 238).
The original house consisted of an open hall of three
bays with a narrower range, now demolished, at the N
end and probably a service wing, since rebuilt, at the S.
end. In the 15th century the hall was remodelled.
Tracery was added to the windows, a new roof was
constructed and a fireplace inserted in the N. wall; at the
same time the E. doorway to the screens passage was
renewed and an oriel in the E. wall built. Also during
the late 15th and early 16th century the service wing was
built followed by a new range on the S. W. In the 17th
century the hall was sub-divided and floored over, and the
service wing received dividing walls. The S.W. range
was re-roofed and remodelled c. 1730 and much of the
remainder of the house modernized (NRO, W(A)
2. VI.Ic.3); in c. 1800 the range N. of the hall was
Fig. 163 Nassington (3) Prebendal Manor House
The Hall Range has side buttresses which have been
reduced in height. On the W. are two 13th-century
windows with round heads and labels with mask stops;
that on the S. has two lights with cinquefoil heads of the
15th century and that on the N. is a modern restoration.
The door has chamfered jambs, moulded abaci, round
head and a label with mask stops (Plate 77). Above is a
weathered offset of unknown significance, and above
again is a single-light window perhaps of the 17th
century. In the E. wall is a doorway with a pointed head
and continuous roll-and-hollow moulded jambs of the
15th century. Adjacent is a sash window presumably in
the position of an earlier tall window the jambs of which
may survive in the stepped reveals of the first-floor sash
window. At the N. end of the E. wall is a projecting
bay, apparently rebuilt externally in the 19th century; the
wide internal opening indicates an oriel window of the
15th century, the jambs showing no diagonal tooling
characteristic of the 13th-century work elsewhere. In the
side of the projection is a small squint directed towards
the E. doorway. The N. gable wall against which the
narrower N. range formerly abutted has a broad area of
patching where a large chimney stack, perhaps of the
15th century, once stood; the fireplace with cambered
bressummer and chamfered jambs survives inside.
Flanking the patching are blocked doorways, two on the
first floor, one on the ground. At the N. W. corner is a
doorway with a distorted head and adjacent, at right
angles, is the jamb of a former doorway in the W. wall
of the demolished N. range; both doors are 13th-century
and parts of the jambs are cut from the same blocks. The
scar of the W. wall of the former N. range is visible in
the surviving gable wall. Inside, the cross-passage is
defined by a masonry wall with two doorways having
wooden lintels. In the centre is a later door which has
been blocked. The cross wall does not extend above the
upper floor of the hall, inserted in the 17th century, but
is probably contemporary with the stout joists over the
passage. These joists may be 15th or 16th-century and
support a plaster floor. The roof of the hall is in four
bays and, although 15th-century in origin, has been
reconstructed in the 19th century. It now consists of
trusses with tie beams, arch-braced collars formerly with
twin struts above, and two tiers of butt-purlins; the tie
beams are double ogee-moulded but the southern is
chamfered on the passage side. The internal fireplace,
added in the 17th century, has continuous chamfered
jambs and a wooden bressummer. The Porch over the E.
doorway has a late-medieval origin. The timber-framed
gable has a king post and a cambered tie beam carved
with a central foliated boss. Beneath the ends of the
beam are two reset carved heads, one a female with a
wimple, the other a male with curled hair, c. 1300.
The S. Range, incorporating a former service wing,
was sub-divided probably in the 17th century, and the
exterior refaced in the 18th century. The roof is hipped.
Ground-floor windows on the E. have splayed reveals,
those of the N. window continuing above the ceiling
into the room above. A central door in the N. wall, now
blocked, led into the hall. The upper floor plan is similar
to the lower. A pair of doorways with masonry jambs
share a long wooden lintel. A ceiling with three
cambered tie beams was added on the first floor probably
in the 16th century. The roof in four bays consists of
collars, clasped purlins, wind-braces and cambered tie
beams with curved struts (Fig. 163); intermediate trusses
have collars only. The roof is earlier than that of the
S. W. range which overlaps it.
The S. W. Range, probably of the 16th century, is
mostly refaced and has an asymmetrical parapeted W.
gable, the S. part of the range being roofed as a lcan-to.
In the W. wall at first floor is a wooden mullion-and-transom window of the 18th century, and at sill level are
two reset carved heads resembling those on the S. porch.
The plan is not easily explained. A series of three
doorways with elliptical heads open progressively from
the hall, the first being inserted in the S. wall of the hall.
The existing stair is modern; one is recorded in this
position in 1810 (NRO, photo-copy 983; Archdeacon
Bonney's private register). A large mass of masonry in
the S. W. corner of the range is probably a chimney
stack; a fireplace exists in it on the first floor. The roof is
18th-century and has collars clasping purlins.
Outbuildings include: (a) a rectangular two-storey
building originally with a vice in the N. W. corner, 17th-century or earlier; converted to a stable and granary in
the 19th century; (b) a barn of nine bays with opposed
central doors flanked by ordinary doors, probably built
in c. 1777 at the time of enclosure (NRO, W(A) box
2.1.3B); (c) a dovecote (Fig. 7; Plate 128), square on
plan, with original door and window above, 576 nesting
boxes in 15 tiers, late-medieval but the roof with hips
and gablets is 18th-century.
(4) Manor House (Fig. 164; Plate 77). In the late 15th
century the manor was acquired by the Ridel family and
then passed with Apethorpe and other possessions to Sir
Guy Wolston. The manor remained in the same hands as
Apethorpe from then on, and was consequently occupied
by tenants. The house dates from the early 16th century
and was probably built in two phases. A straight joint in
the W. wall and a window high in the cross wall which
is aligned with the straight joint, suggest that the two S.
rooms are slightly earlier than the passage and parlour to
the N. A rear wing was added in the 17th century and
further additions were made in the 19th century. Much
of the original house survives, the architectural detail
bearing witness to its importance.
The two-storey house has rubble walls with some
courses of squared blocks. The original house consisted
of three rooms with an entrance passage between the N.
and centre rooms; the wall dividing the S. room from
the centre one was replaced by a chimney stack in the
17th century. On the main front, facing E., are the
remains of all the original windows but some have been
altered. Those windows which are original are
rectangular with labels and the lights have four-centred
heads. The entrance arch to the cross passage has a
moulded four-centred head with a label; it was blocked
in the 17th century but retains its hinge pins. Above is a
single-light window and to the N. are large four-light
windows on both floors, all of the early 16th century. A
shallow projection in ashlar below a wide window
lighting the centre room is probably the base of a
destroyed oriel window.
The N. gable (Plate 77) has a blocked ground-floor
window, the label of which survives. Above is an oriel
window with canted sides, double-ogee moulded
corbelling, weathered top and lights with four-centred
heads. These windows are placed off-centre, but a two-light window above is set centrally in the gable. On the
W. is an original gabled projection enveloping the
chimney stack; at ground-floor level the N. wall of this
projection continues W. without a break to form the N.
wall of a later and lower rear wing.
The W. side of the building is largely obscured but the
original entrance to the cross passage remains; the arch
has a segmental-moulded head and is partly blocked.
Above is a single-light casement-moulded window with
a four-centred head. A straight-joint above the S. jamb
of the entrance defines the earlier phase in the building.
The central wing on this side is 17th-century and has
walls of banded masonry, square blocks alternating with
pindle. It has a two-storey mullioned bay window.
Inside, an ovolo-moulded cross beam has lozenge
decoration on the soffit. On each floor there is a fireplace
with a four-centred head in a square frame.
The S. gable wall of the main range has a parapet and
three blocked windows, the upper being in the gable.
Towards the S.E. corner on the first floor is a blocked
loop light with a two-centred head, cut from one stone.
Fig. 164 Nassington (4) The Manor House
Internally, the southern and plainer of the three main
rooms was probably the service room, the cross passage
coming abnormally between the central room, or hall,
and the parlour on the N. The parlour has a high ceiling
with ogee and roll-moulded intersecting beams. Hinge
pins for shutters remain in the E. window. A recess in
the N. wall of the cross passage may indicate the original
entrance to the parlour. Other doorways in the passage
are of unknown date. The hall has a ceiling with two
intersecting roll-moulded beams once with
battlementing. There is no indication that the room
originally had a fireplace, the present internal chimney
stack being 17th-century. A doorway in the rear wall has
chamfered stone jambs with faint traces of decorative
painting. The S. room has a heavy stop-chamfered cross
beam. The first-floor rooms were originally open to the
roof. The N. room had a high-level window above the
oriel in the N. wall and a single-light pointed opening
without glazing, placed high in the cross wall on the S.;
this small N. facing opening must antedate the building,
of the N. room. The room was ceiled over to form an
attic probably in the late 16th century, but there is now
no access to the space. The attic has a plaster floor on
joists laid on the tie beams. The central room on the first
floor had a fireplace on the N., the cross wall being
thickened to take the stack.
The roof of the early 16th-century is of twelve bays
divided by a thick wall rising from the cross passage to
the ridge; each room therefore had originally four bays.
The roof (Fig. 164) consists of alternate trusses, one with
collars, arch braces, clasped purlins, wind-braces and
struts above the collars, the other with tie beams and
collars both with struts to the principals, and having
purlins and wind-braces. The tie beams are chamfered,
but those above the N. room are moulded. The fifth
truss from the S. is a closed truss with grooved studs
between the tie beam and the collar.
(5) No. 72, two storeys, class 4a, c. 1800. Wide
fireplace and a staircase against the N. gable now
(6) Nos. 68, 70 a pair of two-room houses, two
storeys, sliding sash windows, early 19th-century. The
W. house was built first. (Not entered).
(7) Three Horse Shoes public house, one storey and
attics, mansard roof, red brick stacks, class 6b, built in
the first half of the 19th-century by Joseph Phillips,
brewer, of Stamford (Deeds).
(8) No. 54, one storey and attics, originally class 1b,
17th-century, roofless, formerly thatched. In first half of
the 19th century a pantiled roofed extension was added
on the N. Mullioned window on street front.
(9) No. 52, one storey and attics, class 4c, early 19th-century. Roofless, formerly thatched.
(10) Three Mill Bills, former inn, one storey and
attics, thatched roof, class 1c, of the early 17th century,
extended on the N. by a slightly higher section in c. 1800
to give a class 1a plan. The 17th-century windows have
chamfered wooden lintels. A window now occupies the
position of the original entrance. The roof of the original
house has clasped purlins. To the S. is an outbuilding
with a cellar of. c. 1800 with an elliptical vault and stands
(11) No. 51, one storey and attics, probably class 4a,
17th or 18th-century. (Not entered)
(12) No. 44, one storey and attics, thatched roof, class
4a, original end stack now removed, 17th century.
(13) No. 47, two storeys, resembling class 6a but with
a third room, formerly a kitchen, early 19th-century.
(14) No. 45 (Plate 116), two storeys and attics,
mansard roof, class 6a with rear wing, early 19th-century. On the front are two bow windows of two
storeys, with recesses for external shutters to the ground
floor. The doorway has an open pediment and lattice
fanlight. A wide hall contains a curving staircase.
Contemporary with the house is a Barn incorporating a
cow-house and a two-storey granary. (Not entered)
(15) No. 40, one storey and attics, class 4a, 19th-century.
(16) No. 38, one storey and attics, Welsh slate roof,
class 4a with rear wing, 19th-century.
(17) No. 43, two storeys, Welsh slate roof. An L-shaped building is shown here on Enclosure Map of 1778
but the present house with the same plan has a 19th-century appearance. (Not entered).
(18) No. 35 (Fig. 165; Plate 116), two storeys and
attics, single-storey bay windows on both front and back
elevations, class 5 probably c. 1800. A 17th-century
mullioned window in the W. gable is reset. Wide
fireplace in the E. gable; all partitions of studwork. Farm
buildings include a single-storey structure with a loft
reached by stone steps, probably a combined cart house
and stable, early 19th-century.
Fig. 165 Nassington (18)
(19) Nassington House, two storeys, parapeted gables,
long range with shorter range at rear, probably 17th-century. Two and four-light mullioned windows on W.
but with sash windows on S. front. Cast-iron railings
and gates, early 19th-century. (Not entered)
(20) No. 29, one storey and attics, parapeted gables,
one end chimney stack, class 5, built after 1778
(Enclosure Map), perhaps c. 1800.
(21) No. 20, two storeys and attics, mansard roof,
hipped dormers, class 6, early 19th-century. To W., a
range of the same date, one storey and attics, central
entrance, possibly converted to domestic use.
(22) No. 7, two storeys, W. half thatched, early 17th-century. Originally class 1b, divided into two dwellings
and the E. half remodelled in the 19th century.
(23) Black Horse Inn (Fig. 166), two storeys, late 17th-century. The date '1674' and initials 'HP' are inscribed on
the bay window. The main range has a two-storey bay
window with canted sides, gable and mullioned lights.
The gables have copings, and that on the N. incorporates
a projecting chimney stack. The L-shaped plan has a
slightly later stair turret in the entrant angle. Inside, the
partitions have been removed, but there were probably
three rooms originally, that in the rear wing encroaching
on the S. room of the main range. On each floor is a
fireplace with ovolo-moulded four-centred head in a
square frame, that on the ground floor having a moulded
Fig. 166 Nassington (23)
(24) No. 9, two storeys, class 3b, five bay front, early
19th-century. Later additions at rear. Perhaps the former
Carpenters' Arms Inn.
(25) No. 8, The Nutshell, one storey and attics, 17th-century and said to have once had a date-stone of 1640–
1649. Plan comprises a range with flanking wings. A
doorway in the N. wing has a four-centred head and
moulded hood. (Not entered)
(26) No. 12, two-storey two-room house with later
additions at rear. Early 19th-century in present form but
the gables of the former early 18th-century single-storey
house are visible; the N. gable bears the date-panel 'WC
1704'. Pantile roof.
(27) No. 14, Home Farm, two storeys, the N. section
thatched, the S. pantiled. It probably originated in the
early 17th century as a class 1b house of one storey and
attics. In the 18th century a two-storey addition was
built on the S. to give a class 1a plan and in the early
19th century the earlier part was raised to two storeys to
conform. The stops on axial beams and the character of
the fireplace bressummer suggest an early 17th-century
date. An upper room had a plaster floor until recently.
Behind the house is a small barn of three bays with a
panel which appears to read '1790–1799'. probably a
(28) No. 22, two storeys, asbestos roof, early 19th-century class 4c house. The gable of an earlier, lower
building is visible at the N. end.
(29) No. 24, range of four two-storey cottages of class
4c and a three-storey two-room house, mid 19th-century. The house, facing the street, has an ashlar front
and the cottages have windows with deep stone lintels
and sliding sashes. Welsh slate roof. Facing the range, on
the S., is a two-storey Granary, probably early 19th-century. A pair of class 4c cottages have been built in its
W. half. A stone panel inscribed 'I T M 1711', formerly
in the E. gable, is now in the N. range.
(30) Nos. 28, 30. This house was owned together with
the granary (29) by Griffin King in 1778 (Enclosure
Map); in 1801 it was associated with a coal and timber
merchant's concern (Mercury, 30 Oct.). The remains of a
dock survive at the end of the plot. The house, class 6
with parapeted gables, is late 18th-century. In the early
19th century a wing was added on the front and later still
the area within the angle was infilled.
(31) Cottage behind (30), two storeys, class 4c, 19th-century.
(32) No. 17, one storey and attics, Welsh slate roof,
class 3a, early 19th-century.
(33) No. 21, one storey and attics, thatched roof, two-room plan with central stair and a wide fireplace against
the S. gable, 18th-century. Stone pilasters survive at the
back of the fireplace.
(34) No. 23, two-cell house, with gable entry, late
17th or early 18th-century, now two storeys. A large
central chimney stack has been removed; the fire window
with chamfered surround remains. The N. stack is 19th-century in its present form.
(35) No. 44, now of two storeys, class 6b, Welsh slate
roof, brick stacks, formerly of one storey and possibly
with a narrower plan attained its present form by the
mid 19th century. A pointed window with decorative
glazing bars is 19th-century.
(36) Greystones (Fig. 167), two storeys and attics,
17th-century origin, later enlarged and remodelled.
Originally built as a class 1b house to which a wing was
added W. of the hall some time before 1698; a S. wing
with datestone inscribed 'TR 1698' perhaps for a member
of the Rippon family overlaps both buildings. The main
range was increased in height in the late 18th century,
and the W. and S. wings partly rebuilt in the mid 19th
century and two rooms were added beside the S. wing.
Fig. 167 Nassington (36)
The main range, of tall proportions, has a parapeted
gable and ashlar chimney stacks. The roof has butt-purlins and the weathering for a lower roof is visible in
the roof-space. Inside, the N. room has fielded panelling
in two heights and a round-headed cupboard; a first-floor
fireplace has eared surround and egg-and-dart decoration,
all late 18th-century.
(37) No. 35, Pear Tree Cottage, one storey and attics,
Welsh slate roof, three-room plan, rebuilt except for
central room which is 17th or 18th-century. Fire window
with chamfered surround.
(38) No. 37, two storeys and attics, class 4c, first half
(39) No. 39 (Fig. 168), two storeys and attics, L-shaped plan, perhaps 18th-century.
Fig. 168 Nassington (39)
(40) Stoneleigh, two storeys, approximating to class 8
with the stair occupying a rear compartment, second half
18th century. Openings have flush voussoirs and
keystones, and the windows have wide glazing bars. The
asymmetrical roof has staggered purlins, tusk-tenoned to
the principals. A one-storey shop or workshop was
added on the N. in the early 19th century.
(41) Queen's Head Inn, two storeys, three-cell house
probably of 17th-century origin but much altered
internally in the early 19th century and again later. The
central and N. rooms are now united. Behind is a range
of stables, second quarter 19th century. To the W. is a
(42) No. 56, Oak Cottage, one storey and attics,
thatched roof, S. gable parapet with roll finial, probably
17th-century, remodelled to form two class 4c dwellings
in the 19th century.
(43) No. 51, Homelea, two storeys, squared rubble,
freestone quoins and dressings, class 8, early 19th-century.
(44) No. 53, Winford Cottage, one storey and attics,
thatched roof, class 1c, 17th-century. Seats within the
(45) Nos. 60, 62, two storeys, rubble, brick, pantiled
roofs. One irregularly planned house and a separate
range which originally comprised two class 4c dwellings,
one with a cross passage and store. Second quarter 19th-century. Associated with former timber yard to S., of
which the dock remains. (Not entered)
(46) No. 59, two storeys, probably class 5, later sub-divided, early 19th-century.
(47) No. 61, one storey and attics, class 4a with later
outshut, now with Welsh slate roof, first half 17th-century. Wall beams carried on rounded corbels.
(48) No. 63, one storey and attics, class 1b, 17th-century. Parapeted gable with roll finial. (Not entered)
(49) No. 68, two storeys, pantiled roof, large stone
stack, class 4c, early 17th-century.
(50) No. 70, two storeys, class 4b, probably 17th-century; first floor of plaster.
(51) Two storeys, ashlar front wall, Welsh slate roof,
resembling class 6 but with passage on E. and a third
room on W., early 19th-century.
(52) Two-storey, two-room house, early 19th-century.
(53) A pair of houses, three storeys, originally class 4c
but with later two-storey lean-to additions at rear; now
one dwelling. Doorway to E. house now blocked. Date-panel reads 'JM 1832'.
(54) A pair, two storeys, class 4c with central stack,
(55) No. 22 Woodnewton Road, one storey and attics,
thatched roof, parapeted gable, three-cell house, early
17th-century. Cross beam in centre room morticed for
former studwork partition. The W. end room was
originally partly open to the roof.
(56) Old Sulehay Lodge (TL 052984; Fig. 169; Plate
123). Land at Sulehay, an extra-parochial area of
Rockingham Forest, was held in chief by members of the
Yarwell family by virtue of their office of foresters of the
Bailiwick of Cliffe from at least the early 13th century
(Cal. IPM vol. 1, 220; vol. 7, 304, 359; vol. 9, 285). The
land and office were sold in 1392 (Cal. Pat. (1391–6), 16)
and passed to Sir Guy Wolston in the late 15th century,
and from then onwards Sulehay was held by the owners
of Apethorpe. Wolston himself is said to have rebuilt the
lodge (NRO, W(A) 4.XVI.5); there was a substantial
house here in the 17th century which is said to have been
demolished in c. 1718 (NRO, W(A) Misc. vol. 37). The
surviving buildings consist of a gateway and stables with
accommodation above, mostly built in 1642, in which
year the owner, Mildmay Fane second Earl of
Westmorland, was imprisoned as a Royalist. A mid 17th-century list of horses belonging to the Earl mentions two
mares and two fillies at Sulehay (NRO, W(A) Misc. vol.
15) which might be taken to imply breeding rather than
riding. After the demolition of the house the stables were
turned into a dwelling for the tenant farmer and in this
condition were seen in 1790 by John Byng (Torrington
Diaries (1935), II, 253); in 1851 Browning improved the
accommodation (NRO, W(A) 7.XIV) and the building
was greatly enlarged after 1892.
The building comprises a central range with a
gatehouse on the W. and a slightly earlier wing on the
E.; a barn W. of the gatehouse is late 19th-century but it
probably replaces an earlier building balancing the
existing central range. In this main range there appears to
have been three large loose boxes rather than stalls, with
a compartment at the W. end; there was living
Fig. 169 Nassington (56) Old Sulehay Lodge
The gatehouse of two storeys has similar N. and S.
elevations, each with a parapeted gable and an ogee and
ovolo-moulded elliptical arch within a rectangular frame.
Above is a two-light mullioned window and, in the
gable, a panel inscribed '1642'. Inside, there are
doorways on the E. and W., each having a round head
within a square moulded frame, and a jewelled keystone
(Fig. 169). Access to the upper floor was by a door, now
blocked, from the central range, but no indication of a
stair survives; in the W. wall is an original fireplace, also
The main range is of one storey and attics. The W.
half retains few original features, all openings being later
except for a single-light window on the S. and a blocked
window on the N. The E. half has on the S. a three-bay
arcade with continuous moulded elliptical arches united
within a rectangular frame (Plate 123). The arches are
now blocked but the jambs are rebated and a length of
timber, drilled for closely-spaced uprights, suggests that
the upper part of the openings contained grilles. The
internal divisions are later, but the three cross beams
aligning with the arcade have mortices for partitions, the
studs for which partly remain. In the rear wall are two
mullioned windows, probably secondary. On the first
floor there are remains of a fireplace probably of 1642, in
the W. wall, and there is another fireplace with a four-centred head in a rectangular frame in the E. wall. The
roof consists of six trusses with two tiers of collars,
clasped upper purlins, butt-jointed lower purlins and
wide principal rafters.
The E. wing is slightly off-set from the main range
and is marginally earlier. It is of one storey with attics,
and is gabled on the N. and S. There are various
mullioned windows. In the N. wall is a blocked
round-headed doorway repeating the design of those in
the gatehouse; it gave into a lobby which always
contained a stair, but only the upper part of the present
stair is original. It has a square-section newel with a
shaped top and incorporates a seat against the landing-rail. The ground-floor room is lofty and was originally
unheated. On the first floor is a fireplace with a four-centred head in a square frame. The roof has a tie beam
and two raking struts, but the roof-space is not