11 BRADPOLE (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXXVIII, N.W.)
Bradpole is a small parish and village 1½ m. N.E. of
(1) Parish Church of Holy Trinity stands on the
W. of the village. The walls are of ashlar. It was
entirely rebuilt in 1845–6 in 13th-century style, and
consists of Chancel, N. Vestry added in 1897, Nave with
N. arcade of four bays opening into the N. Aisle, N.W.
Tower, with spire added in 1863, and S. Porch.
Fixed to the W. wall is the two-centred head of a 15th-century window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical
tracery, said to have been the E. window of the former
chapel of St. Andrew at Bridport, erected here in 1909.
In the garden of a cottage about 100 yards N. of the
church are the bases of two 13th or 14th-century
columns, presumably from the same source.
Fittings—Coffin-stool: with turned legs and stretchers,
late 17th-century. Font: chamfered octagonal bowl
with moulded necking, 15th-century with modern
repair; the stem and base are modern. Monuments: In
the nave—on S. wall. (1) to Frances Way, wife of
Samuel Way, 1823, and later inscriptions to Holles
Bull Way, 1810, and his wife Frances Lee Way, 1857,
white marble wall-tablet with cornice and urn, by Gibbs,
Axminster. In churchyard—on S. side, (2) to William
Way, 1654–5, and Elizabeth his wife, 1654–5, table-tomb. Plate: includes a cup of 1570 and a paten and
flagon of 1677. Royal Arms: of metal, Hanoverian
(2) Bridge, over the river Brit, 1,130 yards N.W.
of the church, is of rubble and of two spans with a
cut-water. The arches are two-centred and the
structure may be of the 17th century or earlier.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered with
thatch or modern materials. Some of the buildings
have exposed ceiling-beams.
(3) Myrtle House, on the N. side of the road 210
yards E. of the church, has been refronted in the 18th
century. Two of the fireplaces are original.
(4) Cottage, two tenements, nearly opposite (3), is
modern except for a window at the E. end with a
(5) Cottage, two tenements, on the E. side of the
road 270 yards E.S.E. of the church, retains an original
stone window of four lights with a label.
(6) House, 270 yards E.S.E. of the church, was built
late in the 18th century or early in the 19th century.
The ground floor windows have flat stone arches;
there is a flat hood on shaped brackets over the entrance
door and the reveals of the doorway are panelled.
(7) Stepps Farm, house 250 yards S.E. of (5).
(8) Barrow, 220 yards N.N.E. of the church, stands
on a small hillock. It is about 17 ft. in diam. and 5 ft.
(9) Lynchets, on the S.E. side of Watton Hill,
consist of traces only of former terraces.