13 BREDY, LONG (D.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXIX, S.W. (b)XLVI, N.W.
Long Bredy is a parish 6½ m. E. of Bridport. The
church and the numerous earthworks, including a
bank barrow and a long barrow (8) and a megalithic
chambered long cairn (15), are the principal monuments.
a(1) Parish Church of St. Peter stands near the
middle of the parish. The walls are of local rubble and
flint with ashlar and dressings of local freestone; the
roofs are covered with tiles. The Chancel was built
about the middle of the 13th century. The Nave,
North Transept and South Porch are of uncertain date,
the evidence having been destroyed by restoration.
The West Tower was added early in the 15th century.
The South Transept was added in the 18th century but
was much altered in the restoration of 1863 when the
W. wall was removed and the adjoining South Aisle
built, the N. transept and nave largely refaced and the
Vestry added; the chancel was restored in 1841.
The Parish Church of St. Peter, Long Bredy
The chancel is of some architectural interest.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (28¾ ft. by
15¾ ft.) has a 13th-century E. window of three graduated
lancet-lights with moulded external and internal labels
and rear-arches; the splays have each a Purbeck marble
shaft with moulded capital and base. In the N. wall
are three windows of the 13th century; the two
eastern have been altered c. 1400 into single trefoiled
lights with square heads and labels but retain their
original shafted splays and moulded segmental-pointed
rear-arches and labels, continued along the wall as a
string; the third window is similar internally, but is a
lancet-light with rebated jambs and has been re-tooled;
high up in the W. end of the wall is a small 15th-century
blocked window of one trefoiled light and formerly
lighting the rood-loft. In the S. wall are three 13th-century windows with splays, rear-arches and labels,
similar to those in the N. wall; all have been altered,
c. 1400, and are now of two trefoiled lights in square
head and have been more or less restored; the 13th-century doorway has chamfered jambs, two-centred
head and label. The chancel-arch is modern.
The Nave (57 ft. by 15¾ ft.) has been drastically
restored. In the N. wall are an archway and two
windows, all modern; the blocked 15th-century N.
doorway has chamfered jambs and four-centred head.
In the S. wall is a modern arcade and a modern doorway
The North Transept (12½ ft. by 10½ ft.) has a modern
The South Transept (12½ ft. by 10 ft.) was added in
the 18th century, but has a modern S. window and a
modern arch in the W. wall.
The West Tower (11¾ ft. by 10¾ ft.) is of early 15th-century date and of three storeys, with a plain parapet
and gargoyles. The tower-arch is two-centred and of
two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the
inner springing from semi-octagonal shafts with
moulded capitals. The W. window is of two trefoiled
lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a label
and head-stops; the W. doorway has moulded jambs
and four-centred head. The second storey has a single
square-headed light in the W. wall. The bell-chamber
has, in each wall, a window of two trefoiled lights and
blind tracery in a square head with a label.
The South Porch has been completely restored and
has a modern outer archway.
Fittings—Bells: four; 1st by Roger Purdue, 1627;
2nd 1627; 3rd by William Knight; 4th by Thomas
Purdue, 1661. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments:
In N. transept—on E. wall, (1) to Joseph Symes, 1830,
and Elizabeth his wife, 1852, white marble wall-tablet
by Lester, Dorchester; on N. wall, (2) to John Hurding,
1677, stone tablet with scrolls, shield-of-arms now on
S. wall of vestry; in sill of window, (3) to John, son of
Henry Hurding, 1717, painted inscription on recessed
panel with scroll framing. In S. porch—on W. wall,
(4) to Mary . . ., 1697, freestone tablet with side-columns, cornice, cherub-heads and emblems of
mortality. In churchyard—E. of chancel, (5) to William
Meech, 1692, and Joane, his wife, twin headstone;
(6) to Miriam Brown, c. 1700, headstone; (7) to Mary
Everet, 1703–4, and Richard Everet, 1717, twin head-stone; S.E. of chancel, (8) to Henry Barlew, 1669–70,
and Judith his wife, 1688–9, table-tomb; S. of nave,
(9) to Robert Trevet, 1708, headstone; S. of S. transept,
(10) to Christian Dicker, daughter of Steven Wellman,
and Homer her daughter, 1699–1700, headstone; S.E.
of porch, (11) to Mary Wood, 1703, headstone; S. of
porch, (12) to John Martin, 171., headstone; S.W.
of nave, (13) to Jonathan Windsor, 1709–10, and Mary
Windsor, headstone. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to
William Plowman, rector, 1712; (2) to Ralph Ironside,
rector and archdeacon of Dorset, 1682–3, and Margaret
his wife, 1682–3; (3) to Valentine Jefferie, [1701–2].
Piscina: In chancel—recess with moulded jambs and
square head, 13th-century, partly blocked and no
drain. Plate: includes a cup and cover-paten of 1570
and a cup and cover-paten, the latter with the date
b(2)St. Luke's Chapel, nearly 2 m. S.S.W. of the
church, was a mediæval building of which the W. wall
and a fragment of the N.E. angle of a rectangular
building (32 ft. by 18 ft.) survive. The W. wall retains
the opening of the W. window, of which the N. jamb
and the four-centred rubble head remain; reset in this
wall are two carved head-stops probably of the 15th
century. An altar-table of rubble has been built up in
the chapel and set in the top is a slab with five crosses
of doubtful age.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys.
The walls are of local rubble and the roofs are covered
with tiles and slates. Some of the buildings have
a(3) Baglake Farm, house nearly 1 m. W. of the
church, has a main S. block and kitchen added in
the 18th century. The S. front is symmetrically
designed and has a central doorway with moulded
architrave, key-stone and flat hood on console-brackets.
On the N. side of the house are three original mullion
and transom windows with moulded reveals. Inside
the building, the front block has several 18th-century
fireplaces and two rooms are lined with panelling of the
a(4) Cottage, on the E. side of the road 300 yards S.
of the church, was built probably early in the 18th
century and has a thatched roof.
a(5) Cottage, two tenements, on the W. side of the
road 250 yards S.S.W. of (4), retains some original
b(6) Gorwell Farm, house over 2 m. S. of the church,
has been largely rebuilt except for one wing with
original stone-mullioned windows and fireplace. The
barn, S. of the house, was built probably early in the
18th century and is of six bays.
b(7) Park Pale, on the W. side of the parish about
1 m. S.W. of the church, forms an irregular enclosure,
indeterminate on the N. The S.W., S. and W. sides
are enclosed by a bank about 6 to 8 yards wide with an
Plan Shewing Distribution of Barrows and Stones in the Vicinity of Long Barrow Hill
a(8) Bank Barrow, Long Barrow and Bowl
Barrows on Long Barrow Hill ¼ to ½ m. N. of
the church (575 ft.-612 ft. above O.D.). The Bank
Barrow (56°mag.) is 645 ft. long and 69 ft. wide at
the base. It is flanked by ditches 1½ to 3 ft. deep
and rises 8½ to 9½ ft. above the bottom of the ditches
at the N.E. end and 5 to 6½ ft. at the S.W. end; the
axis of the mound has a slight deviation. The bank
has been disturbed by a gap about 152 ft. from the
N.E. end. The Long Barrow (316° mag.), 220 yards
S.E. of the bank barrow, is 116 ft. long and varies from
42½ to 51½ ft. wide at the base. It has flanking ditches
and its height varies from 3 to 5½ ft. The broader and
higher end is towards the S.E. The remaining barrows
are seven in number, (a), 40 yards S.E. of the long
barrow, is 54 ft. in diam. and 2 ft. high; it has remains
of a ditch and the top has been much disturbed and now
forms a sinking. (b), on the S.E. flank of the bank
barrow, is 56 ft. in diam. and 5 ft. high and has a ditch;
the top has been disturbed. (c), 60 yards S.W. of the
end of the bank barrow, is 27 ft. in diam., 2½ ft. high
and has a slight ditch. (d), 100 yards E. of the N. end of
the bank barrow, is 35 ft. in diam. and 3 ft. high. (e),
70 yards N.E. of the end of the bank barrow, is 30 ft. in
diam. and 4 ft. high. (f), 120 yards N.E. of the end of
the bank barrow, is 36 ft. in diam. and 3½ ft. high.
(g), 50 yards N. of the end of the bank barrow, is 32 ft.
in diam. and 2½ ft. high; the middle has been disturbed.
Bank-Barrow on Long Barrow Hill
a(9) Barrows, N. of the road-junction on Martin's
Down about ½ m. N. of the church, are four in number.
(a) bowl barrow, 60 yards E. of the road-junction, is
62 ft. in diam. and 10 ft. high. (b) probably a bell
barrow, 100 yards W.N.W. of (a), is 90 ft. in diam. and
6 to 9 ft. high; the middle has been disturbed; there
are traces of a ditch. (c) probably a bell barrow,
45 yards N.W. of (b), is 75 ft. in diam. and 5 ft. high;
it has a ditch. (d) perhaps a bowl barrow, 260 yards
W.N.W. of (c), is approximately 40 ft. in diam. and
3½ ft. high; it has been ploughed.
a(10) Mound, probably a barrow, 60 yards N. of the
road and 1,150 yards N.E. of the church, is 48 ft. in
diam. and 2 ft. high. The middle has been disturbed.
a(11) Bowl Barrow, ¼ m. E.N.E. of the church, is
41 ft. in diam. and 4 ft. high.
a(12) Barrows, two, towards the W. side of the
parish and 1,200 and 1,550 yards N.W. of the church
respectively. The more southerly (a), bowl barrow, is
48 ft. in diam. and 4 ft. high; it has been disturbed on
the E. side. (b), 370 yards N.W. of (a), has been almost
a(13) Bowl Barrow, 650 yards N.N.E. of North
Barn and over 1 m. N. of the church, is 88 ft. in diam.
and 4 ft. high.
b(14) Mound, 1½ m. S. of the church, is roughly
rectangular with rounded angles, 96 ft. long and 56 ft.
c(15) The Grey Mare and Her Colts, megalithic
chambered long cairn (315° mag.), over 2¼ m. S.S.E. of
the church, comprises the remains of a burial-chamber
screened by standing stones, apparently originally
arranged on a shallow crescentic plan to form a façade
fronting on to a forecourt, set at the wider end of a
roughly triangular cairn which has traces of a surrounding peristalith of stones. The cairn is earth-covered and much overgrown (O.S., Neolithic Wessex,
No. 142. Dor. N.H. and Arch. S., Proc. LXVII, 30).
The burial-chamber is formed of upright stones on
three sides, with a capstone which has slipped sideways
and obscures the fourth side. The S.E. or front wall
consists of one large slab, 6 ft. 6 in. wide, standing
6 ft. high; the stones of the other two walls are some
4 ft. less in height. The forecourt setting of stones,
which appears originally to have formed an arc
measuring approximately 35 ft. along the chord and
7 ft. in depth, centres on the tall S.E. stone of the
burial-chamber. One stone remains standing immediately to the S.W. of the central stone and set at a
shallow obtuse angle to it; ploughing has obliterated
all traces of any other stones there may have been
further to the S.W. To the N.E. another smaller stone
stands beside the central stone, and 5 ft. beyond is a
recumbent slab, 4 ft. wide, which probably stood
5 ft.–6 ft. high.
The cairn is now 75 ft. long, 41 ft. wide across the
S.E. end, narrowing towards the N.W., and 4 ft. high
at the highest point N.W. of the chamber. There are
no traces of ditches. The peristalith is represented by
two stones only, towards the S.E. end, projecting less
than a foot above ground.
c(16) Barrows, two, near (15). (a), 260 yards S. of
(15), is 52 ft. in diam. and 2½ ft. high; it is under the
plough. (b) bowl barrow, 330 yards E. of (a), is 54 ft.
in diam. and 2½ ft. high.
a(17) Standing Stone, 270 yards N. of the N. end
of the bank barrow (8), is a rough block 6½ ft. high,
9 ft. long and 2½ ft. thick.
a(18) Dyke about 20 yards S.W. of the end of the
bank barrow (8) and running approximately N.W. to
S.E. The bank is about 16 ft. in width and 1 ft. high;
it has a ditch on the N.E. side and curves slightly to
the S. It extends for about 250 yards across a ridge.
The Grey Mare & Her Colts
a(19) Lynchets, on the W. side of the parish over
¾ m. W.N.W. of the church, form an angle with the
contours. The terraces are from 7 to 15 yards wide.
a(20) Lynchets and Enclosures on a flat-topped
knoll about 1/8 m. W.S.W. of the church; the lynchets
follow the contours on the S.E. slope, the enclosures
on the top are small and possibly of later date.
a(21) Lynchets, 300–400 yards S.S.E. of the church,
on the W. and S.W. slopes of a spur, are much worn
but in places form three terraces utilising natural scarps.
a(22) Lynchets, approximately ¼ m. S.S.W. of the
church, consist of four slight scarps which probably
formed part of a cultivation system.