17 BURTON BRADSTOCK (C.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a) XXXVIII, S.W. (b) XLV, N.W.
(c) XLV, N.E.)
Burton Bradstock is a parish on the sea-coast, 3 m.
S.E. of Bridport. The church is the principal monument.
c(1) Parish Church of St. Mary (Plates 2, 84)
stands in the village. The walls are of local rubble with
dressings of the same material; the roofs are covered
with lead and stone slates. The Nave is of uncertain
date, the earliest existing features being the 14th-century
windows in the N. wall. The Transepts, Central Tower
and North Porch were built late in the 14th or early in
the 15th century. The Chancel was rebuilt early in the
16th century, but the S. wall has been rebuilt or refaced
at a later date. The church was extensively restored
in 1897 when the S. arcade and South Aisle were rebuilt.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (19 ft. by
14 ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N. wall are
two early 16th-century windows of two pointed lights
in a square head with a label and returned stops;
the W. splay of the eastern window has two slots
perhaps for fixing the lenten-veil; the early 16th-century doorway has chamfered jambs and four-centred head with a label. In the S. wall are the
splays and rear-arch of a blocked window similar in
character to those in the N. wall.
The Central Tower (11½ ft. by 12¼ ft.) is of three stages
with an embattled parapet and a S.W. stair-turret.
The ground stage (Plate 84) has, in each wall, a late
14th or early 15th-century arch, two-centred and of
one moulded order with panelled reveals and soffit; the
panels have trefoiled heads and the arch-mouldings are
interrupted by moulded capitals. The second stage has
a small rectangular light in the N. wall. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two transomed
rectangular lights with solid trefoiled heads and an
unpierced quatrefoil in a two-centred main head with a
label and head-stops.
The North Transept (11 ft. by 13¾ ft.) is of late 14th
or early 15th-century date and has a N. window of
three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a
segmental-pointed head with moulded reveals with
head-stops; the splays are shafted.
The South Transept (11 ft. by 13 ft.) is of similar date
and character to the N. transept. The S. window is
similar to that in the N. transept. In the W. wall is a
The Nave (52 ft. by 16 ft.) has, in the N. wall, three
windows, the easternmost probably of the 16th century
and of one light with a segmental head, carved with
two rosettes; the other windows are of the 14th century
and of three cinque-foiled ogee lights with tracery in a
square head with a moulded label and human or beast
stops; the late 14th or early 15th-century N. doorway
has moulded jambs and two-centred head. In the S.
wall is a modern arcade and to the E. of it is the upper
doorway to the former rood-loft. In the W. wall
is an early 15th-century window of three cinque-foiled
lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head, with
moulded reveals, label and head-stops; the W. doorway, of the same date, has moulded jambs, two-centred
arch and label with head-stops.
The North Porch is of late 14th or early 15th-century
date and has an outer archway with moulded jambs
and two-centred head; it has a later rebate cut in it;
above it is a niche with a trefoiled ogee head and label.
The Roof of the N. transept is of early 15th-century
date partly restored and of barrel-form with embattled
plates carved with paterae and shields and moulded
ribs forming panels with foliage-bosses at the intersections, except two which are carved with heads.
The roof of the S. transept is of similar form, with
foliage-bosses; there is no apparent wall-plate on the
W. side. The roof of the nave is of similar form, and
of eight bays of four panels each with an embattled
plate on the N. side; the bosses are carved and painted.
The ceiling of the crossing rests on stone corbels,
carved with half-angels and heads.
Burton Bradstock, the Parish Church of St Mary
Fittings—Bells: six; 1st by James Smith, 1762; 5th
by William Purdue, 1615; 6th by George Purdue, 1616.
Bracket: In crossing—on N. respond of E. arch,
moulded, on head-corbel, early 15th-century. Brass:
In slab at W. end of nave, to Sarah Ingram, ,
plate. Clock: In tower—in second stage, by . . .
Thwaites, London, 1788, altered by Thwaites and Reed,
1819; it came from Christ's Hospital, Newgate Street,
in 1902. Coffin-lid: In chancel—tapering slab with
raised foliated cross, 13th or 14th-century. Communion
Rails: with turned balusters and finials, moulded top-rail with the initials and date T.B., I.D., C.W., 1686.
Door: In N. doorway—of old battens, with scratched
date 1681 (?). Font: octagonal bowl with cinquefoil
or trefoil-headed panels, singly or in pairs, moulded
under side, 14th-century, cylindrical shaft with square
moulded base and spur-ornaments, late 12th-century.
Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In N. transept
—on E. wall, (1) to Major John Ironsyde, 1694, and
Katherine, wife of John Ironsyde, 1705, moulded stone
tablet with two shields-of-arms; on W. wall, (2) to
Elizabeth, wife of John Best, 1747, and others later,
stone wall-tablet in frame with broken pediment, cherub
and emblems of mortality. In nave—on N. wall, (3) to
Rear-Admiral Ingram, 1826, Sarah (King) his wife,
1810, and another, white and veined marble wall-tablet
with flanking pilasters and blank shield. In churchyard—in wall of S. aisle, (4) to John Beere, 1631, and
Mary his wife, 1612, slab; (5) to William Beere,
1694, slab; S.W. of S. aisle, (6) to Samuel Beere,
1705, table-tomb; N.W. of nave, (7) to William
Smith, 1706, and Dorothy his wife, 1695, table-tomb.
Floor-slabs: In crossing—(1) to Gilbert Ironsyde,
1678, with shield-of-arms; (2) two enriched slabs,
S. one with part of date 170., Niches: In N. porch—
in E. wall, with three-centred head, canopy, bracket,
buttresses and vaulting, all cut back, 15th-century;
across N.E. angle, with defaced cusped arch in square
head, 15th-century. Painting: Remains of colour on
W. face of W. arch of crossing. Panelling: In chancel
—dado made up of 17th-century panelling. Piscinae:
In chancel—in S.E. angle, recess with trefoiled head,
round projecting drain and stone shelf, 13th-century,
recut and reset. In N. transept—in S.E. angle, pillar-piscina with moulded capping and base and small
canopy with crocketed ogee heads and finials, drain
with rosette, 15th-century. In S. transept—in S.E.
angle, similar feature but only canopy remains. Plate:
includes a cup and cover-paten of 1573, a paten of 1692,
a flagon of 1778 and a second cup of 1814, the last
three presented in 1824. Recess: In nave—in N. wall,
with flat cinque-foiled ogee head with foliated spandrels,
cusp-points carved with angels, and lions' heads, 14th-century. Royal Arms: In nave—over N. door, framed
painting on wood, 1814–1837, with the initials V.R.
added. Seating: In chancel—two desks, incorporating
seven late 15th-century French panels with elaborate
flowing tracery and plain shields and some 17th-century
panelling. Stoup: In N.E. angle of porch—recess
with broken basin and moulded base, 15th or early
16th-century. Tiles: Under E. arch of crossing—
fragments of early 14th-century slip-tiles. Miscellanea:
In nave—on W. wall, the decalogue painted on two
panels with cherubs in the corners, 18th-century;
painted inscription recording the charity of Matthew
Darby of Bockhampton, 1784. In S. aisle—on E.
wall, table of the Creed, 18th century; on S. wall,
table of the Lord's Prayer, 18th century.
Burton Bradstock, Plan Shewing the Position of Monuments
c (2) The Rookery, house 100 yards N.E. of the
church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and
the roofs are slate-covered. The S. part of the main
block was built in the 17th century and not long after
extended to the N. and the staircase-wing and porch
added. There are modern additions on the N. and S.
The house retains a number of stone-mullioned windows
with labels on both the W. and E. sides. The W. doorway has moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a
square head with a label raised some distance above it;
the battened door has ornamental strap-hinges and old
fittings. The E. porch has an outer archway with
imposts and pointed head. Inside the building, the
drawing-room has a 17th-century plaster ceiling with
decorations including a lozenge, rose, paterae, foliage,
lion, fleur-de-lis and angels; the fireplace has moulded
jambs and four-centred head. The doorway in the
porch has a solid frame and cambered head and there
is a similar doorway to the staircase. The early 18th-century staircase has turned balusters, square newels
and close strings. Elsewhere in the house are other
17th-century fireplaces and a length of muntin and
plank partition. The S. part of the house retains its
original collar-beam roof.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are of rubble and the roofs, where old, are
thatched. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams and original fireplaces.
c(3) Mill House, 30 yards S. of the church, is of T-shaped plan.
c(4) Shadrach Dairy Farm, house 30 yards W. of (3),
was built in the 16th century, but the upper part has
been rebuilt. Inside the building are some original
c(5) Range of four tenements, N.W. of (4), was built
probably c. 1700.
c(6) Three Horse Shoes Inn, house 50 yards W. of (5),
has rubble walls partly cement-rendered. The N. wing
is an addition and the bay window in the S. front was
inserted in the 18th century. Some original windows
with stop-chamfered heads and two and three-light
wood frames remain.
c(7) Cottage, on the E. side of the road 160 yards S.W.
of the church.
c(8) Dove Inn, on the S. side of the road 180 yards
S.S.W. of (7), was built probably early in the 18th
c(9) Cottage, immediately W. of (8).
c(10) Manor Farm, house 200 yards W. of the church,
has later additions on the W.
c(11) Cottage, on the W. side of the road 70 yards
N.N.E. of (10), was built c. 1700.
c(12) Range of four tenements 20 yards N.W. of (11).
c(13) Cottage, opposite (11), has been partly rebuilt.
c(14) Cottage, two tenements on the S. side of the
road 110 yards W.N.W. of the church, retains a muntin
and plank partition.
c(15) Range of three tenements on the N. side of
the road 230 yards W.N.W. of the church.
c(16) House, 220 yards N.W. of the church, has the
main front faced with brick and the roofs covered with
tiles. It was built in the 18th century. The doorway
with fanlight has an eared architrave and a Venetian
window above it on the first floor; the remaining sash
windows have gauged-brick heads with keystones.
There are two dormers with hipped roofs and the ends
of the house are gabled.
c(17) Cottage, two tenements, on the W. side of the
road 200 yards N.N.W. of the church, was built early
in the 18th century.
c(18) Shadrach Farm, house and barn 50 yards N. of
(17), has been much altered.
c(19) Cottage, two tenements, at the road-corner 140
yards N.N.W. of the church.
c(20) Cottage, two tenements, 10 yards E. of (19).
c(21) Ingram House, on the W. side of the road 130
yards N.N.W. of the church, has been much altered.
c(22) White House, on the E. side of the road 40
yards S. of (19), is of L-shaped plan and retains some of
its original stone-mullioned windows with labels.
On the S.W. gable is a stone with the initials and date
S. B. 1635. Inside the building, the drawing-room
has an original moulded ceiling-beam and there are
remains of an original fireplace in the dining-room.
The staircase has symmetrically turned balusters and
square newels with turned finials. There are two
original fireplaces on the first floor. The drawing-room fireplace has an 18th-century surround with a
frieze and cornice.
c(23) Cottage, two tenements, 40 yards N. of the
c(24) Cottage, 25 yards E. of (23).
a(25) Marsh Barn, over 1 m. W.N.W. of the church,
is of a single storey and retains parts of its original roof.
c(26) Graston House, 1 m. E.N.E. of the church, has
been extensively altered.
c(27) Bind Barrow, bowl barrow (135 ft. above
O.D.) 950 yards S.E. of the church, is about 64 ft. in
diam. and 5 ft. high.
c(28) Mound, probably a bowl barrow (150 ft. above
O.D.), ½ m. E.N.E. of (27), is of oval form 50 ft. by
47 ft. across and about 5 ft. high.
a(29) Mound, probably the remains of a barrow, at
the W. end of North Hill, nearly 1 m. N.W. of the
church, is 52 ft. in diam. and 3 ft. high; it has been
much disturbed. The fairly large stones in and around
the disturbance indicate the material composing the
b(30) Lynchets, on the N. and W. slopes of the hill
½ m. W. of the church, extend to the cliff on the W.
The terraces are divided by a cross-balk about 90 yards
from the cliff. To the W. of it there are three main
terraces interrupted by the cliff, about 18 yards wide and
2½ ft. high. To the E. of the balk the system is irregular
but there are two main terraces.
c(31) Lynchets, about 270 yards N.E. of (27),
consist of two terraces, on the N. slope of the hill.
They are about 14 yards wide and 3 ft. high.