25 CHARMOUTH (A.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXXVII, N.W.)
Charmouth is a village and parish on the coast 2 m.
N.E. of Lyme Regis. The Queen's Arms Hotel is the
(1) Parish Church of St. Andrew, in the village,
is built of local rubble with ashlar plinth and dressings,
the roofs are covered with slates. It was entirely
rebuilt in 1836 to the designs of Charles Fowler, architect, at a cost of about £2,400 and now comprises a
shallow Chancel, S. Vestry, Nave with N. and S. Aisles,
W. Tower and N. Porch. The chancel and nave are
without structural division.
Fittings—Font: round bowl on octagonal stem
with necking and plain base, probably 16th or 17th-century. Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to
Anthony Ellesdon, 1737, and later inscriptions to Ann
his mother, Ann his wife and Charles his brother,
wall-monument of white and veined marbles with
flanking three-quarter Ionic columns and pedimented
entablature, by M. Sidnell of Bristol, the cartouche
above is probably from a late 17th-century monument;
on S. wall, (2) to Joseph, son of Rev.T. Hodges and Maria
his wife, white marble wall-monument with figure-subjects in relief, c. 1835; (3) to Edward Bragge,
rector, 1747, and Martha his wife, 1769, stone wall-monument with inscription within a cartouche and a
shield-of-arms, by J. Davey. In N. aisle—on N. wall,
(4) to Sydenham F. Vere, 1803, white and coloured
marble wall-monument with cornice and urn, by Gibbs,
Axminster; (5) to Mary, wife of Stephen Harris, 1812,
wall-monument by T. King, Bath; on S. wall, (6) to
Simeon Bullen, 1822, and Elizabeth (Fitzherbert) his
wife, 1819, white marble wall-monument with achievement-of-arms, by W. Fry, Bridport (see Chideock,
Church fittings; Monument 3); (7) to James Collier,
1849, and Maryanne his wife, 1823, white marble walltablet shaped as a cross formy fitchy. In churchyard—
(8) to Marget Chickly, late 17th-century, table-tomb.
Plate: includes an Elizabethan cup with a band of
engraved ornament on the bowl, a pair of cups of
1787–8, a stand-paten of 1716 engraved with the arms
of Ellesdon, an alms-dish of 1834 and a Sheffield-plate
flagon of 1823. Pulpit (Plate 27): now in the Wesleyan
Chapel, Bridport—of oak, octagonal with moulded
rails and styles and three ranges of panels, the two
lower with enriched arches and the top panels with
rosettes etc., early 17th-century. Miscellanea: In
nave—on W. wall, shield-of-arms and inscription
painted on stone recording improvements made,
presumably to the previous church, by Anthony
Ellesdon in 1732. Stone gable-cross with carved figure
of priest or abbot on front of cross, 14th or 15th-century.
(2) Congregational Chapel, on the S. side of the
road 210 yards E. of the church, is a plain rectangular
building with stucco front. An inscription tablet in
the N. pediment records that it was founded in 1689,
rebuilt 1815 and restored 1866. The N. front has angle
pilasters, cornice and pediment surmounted by a small
wood turret with ogee-shaped lead-covered roof; the
N. door has a round head and fluted architrave, and the
windows are in two heights of two lights with round
heads. The E. and W. walls contain round-headed
windows. The interior is plain, with a gallery on slim
columns at the N. end.
(3) Bridge, at the E. end of the village 400 yards
E.N.E. of the church, of squared and coursed stone
with ashlar dressings, was built by J. and W. Short in
1824. It is of one span consisting of a single elliptical-headed arch on chamfered plinths flanked by tapering
pilasters containing moulded panels. There is a N.
parapet wall of ashlar with plain capping containing an
inscription panel; the S. has been replaced by railings.
(4) Queen's Arms Hotel, on the S. side of the main
street 200 yards E. of the church, is of two storeys;
the walls are of stone and the roofs are slate-covered.
The house was built early in the 16th century with a
central hall, solar and offices in the same range; there
are later additions on the W. and S.
The building is an unusually complete example of a
small late mediæval house.
For plan see preface, p. xxxix.
The N. front retains the original doorway to the
screens passage; it has moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head with foliage and shields
in the spandrels, bearing the initials T.C. perhaps for
Thomas Chard and a rebus perhaps for Dobell. Two
original windows on the first floor have lost their
mullions. At the back there are two similar windows
and an original doorway with double chamfered jambs
and four-centred head. The W. chimney-stack retains
its original octagonal shaft. Inside the building, the
former hall has an open ceiling with moulded beams
and plates forming nine panels; the W. part is cut off
by a modern partition and the former screen at the E.
end has been removed. The room at the W. end is
divided from the hall by an original muntin and plank
partition, with remains of painted floral decoration
on the W. face. The ceiling is divided by moulded
and enriched beams into twelve panels. The original
fireplace, now blocked, has moulded jambs and four-centred head; N. of it is a blocked original window of
two four-centred lights; the jambs of another original
window remain in the S. wall and further E. is an
original doorway with chamfered jambs and three-centred head. The buttery adjoined the hall on the E.,
but the partitions forming two rooms and a central
corridor have been removed; the E. and W. walls
are of muntin and plank type and the latter retains the
three original doorways to the screens passage; they
have four-centred heads and are now blocked. The
kitchen, at the E. end, has exposed beams and a large
fireplace with a chamfered arched lintel. On the first
floor, the room over the hall retains an original roof
truss, of collar-beam type with curved braces forming
a two-centred arch. This and the W. room have
original fireplaces with moulded jambs and four-centred heads; the W. room has an open timbered
ceiling of sixteen panels; in the S. wall is a doorway
with a three-centred head probably that of the original
staircase from the ground-floor. The E. rooms have
original muntin and plank partitions. Preserved in
the adjoining building is a lozenge-shaped plaster
panel of the 17th century with a central foliage and
pomegranate ornament and four cherub-heads.
(5) George Hotel, on the N. side of the road
250 yards E.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys;
the walls are of stone and the roofs are slate-covered.
It was built probably early in the 17th century, but has
been altered and added to. The front retains two
original stone-mullioned windows.
(6) Manor House, opposite the church, is of two
storeys; the walls are of stone and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built in the 16th century, but has been
much altered. Inside the building is an original fireplace, with moulded jambs and four-centred head.
(7) Houses, three, on the N. side of the road,
50 yards N.W. of the church, are of two storeys; the
walls are faced with stucco and the roofs are slate-covered. They were built c. 1840, all to the same
pattern. The design of the S. front is symmetrical;
the semi-circular headed doorway and fanlight in the
middle are flanked by plain square-headed windows
opening to the ground, these are set in shallow recesses
with three-centred heads. There are treillages over
the doorway and round the windows. The first-floor
windows have plain rectangular openings. There are
widely projecting eaves on shallow brackets and the
pyramidal roof is of low pitch.
(8) House, 70 yards W. of (6), is of two storeys;
the walls are of stone and the roofs are thatched. It
was built in the 17th century, but has been much altered.
(9) Charmouth House, on the S. side of the road,
200 yards W. of the church, is of two storeys; the
walls are of stone and the roofs are thatched. The
house incorporates two old buildings probably both
of the 17th century. Inside the E. building are some
original moulded ceiling-beams.
(10) Cottage, two tenements, 80 yards W. of (9),
is of two storeys; the walls are of stone and the roofs
are thatched. It was built in the 17th century and
retains some moulded ceiling beams of that date.