28 CHELBOROUGH, WEST (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXI, S.W.)
West Chelborough is a small parish 4½ m. N.E. of
Beaminster. The church is the principal monument.
(1) Parish Church of St. Andrew stands near the
middle of the parish. The walls are of local rubble
with dressings of the same material; the roofs are
covered with stone slates. The E. part of the S. wall
of the Nave may date from the 12th century, but its
thickness is the only evidence of this. The Chancel
and the rest of the nave were rebuilt in the 15th century
when the latter was extended to the W. The South
Tower was added in 1638. The chancel is said to have
been rebuilt in 1751. The church was restored early
in the 19th century and again in 1894 when the North
Vestry was added.
The font and the Kymer monument are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (14½ ft. by
11 ft.) has a modern E. window and modern windows
in the N. and S. walls; in the N. wall is a modern doorway. The chancel-arch is also modern.
The Church, Plan
The Nave (34 ft. by 14½ ft.) has in the N. wall an
early 15th-century window of two trefoiled lights with
vertical tracery in a two-centred head with moulded
reveals; this was formerly the E. window, reset in
1894. In the S. wall is a 15th-century window,
probably altered in the 17th century and now of two
pointed lights with tracery in a two-centred head with
moulded reveals; the 15th-century S. doorway has
chamfered jambs and rebuilt two-centred head. In
the W. wall is a modern window.
The South Tower (6½ ft. square) was built in 1638 and
is of two stages with a plain parapet and pinnacles.
The ground stage forms a porch and has, in the S.
wall, a doorway with moulded jambs and elliptical
head. The bell-chamber has one loop-light in the S.
wall and two in the W. wall. A panel on the S. parapet
bears the inscription "William Lardar Esq. Thomas
Horsford Warden 1638".
Fittings—Bells: two; 2nd uninscribed, probably
old. Font (Plate 14): tapering cylindrical bowl with
five bands of ornament, conventional leaves, cable,
diaper, zig-zag and small dog-tooth, late 12th-century.
Monuments: In nave—in N. wall, (1) to a member of the
Kymer family, freestone recess and effigy (Plate 87);
round-arched recess with enriched mouldings and strapwork soffit, spandrels with shields-of-arms, cornice with
damaged recumbent female figures, strap-work apron
on wall below recess; effigy of woman represented in
bed with infant at her side, early 17th-century. In
churchyard—on stone in S. wall of nave, (2) to Alexan
der Wellman, 1678, and Christian, his wife, 1682–3,
and another, illegible; S. of nave, (3) to Richard
Swayne, 1713, and Margaret, his wife, 1680, table-tomb, with arcaded sides. Plate: includes a cup of
1573, with two bands of engraved ornament, and a
paten of 1720. Royal Arms: In nave—on S. wall,
Hanoverian arms before 1801. Sundial: On E. face
of tower—rectangular slab with gnomon, 17th-century,
(2) Chelborough Farm, house 80 yards S.S.W.
of the church, is of two storeys with attics. The walls
are of rubble and the roofs are covered with stone
slates. The W. wing was built in the 16th century
and the E. wing in the 17th century; the central part
of the house was rebuilt in the 18th century. The
original wing retains some stone-mullioned windows
with labels, and the ground-floor room has an open
ceiling with original moulded beams forming sixteen
panels. The E. wing retains some 17th-century stonemullioned windows with labels. The ground-floor
room has a 17th-century open fireplace. There is also
a doorway with an oak frame and four-centred head.