29 CHETNOLE (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXI, N.E.)
Chetnole is a small parish and village 6 m. S.S.W.
(1) Parish Church of St. Peter, formerly a chapel
of Yetminster, stands in the village. The walls are of
local squared rubble with freestone dressings; the
roofs are covered with stone slates and lead. The
Nave was built or rebuilt late in the 13th century. The
West Tower was added early in the 15th century, but is
said to have been rebuilt in 1580. The South Porch was
added in the 16th or 17th century. The church was
restored in 1860–5, when the Chancel was rebuilt and
the North Aisle and arcade added. There was a further
restoration in 1897.
Architectural Description—The Nave (41¾ ft. by
18¼ ft.) has a modern N. arcade. In the S. wall are
three windows the two easternmost of late 15th-century date and of three cinque-foiled lights with
vertical tracery in a two-centred head with moulded
reveals and partly restored labels with returned stops;
the westernmost window is a late 13th-century lancet-light; the recut late 13th-century S. doorway has
chamfered jambs and two-centred head.
The North Aisle is modern, but reset in the E. wall
is a 15th-century window of three cinque-foiled lights
with tracery in a two-centred head with moulded
reveals and label with returned stops.
Chetnole, the Parish Church of St Peter
The West Tower (9¼ ft. square) is of early 15th-century
date and of two stages with an embattled parapet,
pinnacles and large gargoyles. The tower-arch is two-centred and of two moulded orders. The inner order
of the responds has a shaft with a foliated capital and
moulded base. The angle-buttresses on the E. side
rest on corbelling and carved figure-corbels below the
nave roof. The W. window is of three cinque-foiled
lights with vertical tracery in a restored two-centred
head with a label; the W. doorway has moulded jambs,
two-centred arch and label. The bell-chamber has,
in each wall, a window of two trefoiled lights with
tracery in a two-centred head with a label.
The South Porch has a 16th or 17th-century outer
entrance, with chamfered jambs and round arch.
The Roof of the nave is of late 15th-century date and
of barrel-form; it is of seven bays each of four panels
with moulded ribs and wall-plates with carved paterae;
there are foliage-bosses, some modern, at the intersections; the roof has been lowered and the boarding
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st and 2nd by a London
founder, probably William Chamberlain, late 14th-century and inscribed respectively, "Wox Augustinae
sonet in aure Dei" and "Sancte Laurenti ora pro
nobis". Piscina: In nave—in S. wall, recess with two-centred head, probably piscina. Seating: In chancel—
two coffin-stools with turned legs, 17th-century.
(2) Chetnole House (Plate 109), 100 yards N.E. of
the church, is of two storeys with basement and attics;
the walls are of brick in Flemish bond, partly cementrendered, with some freestone dressings and the roofs
are slate-covered. The house was built about 1760 and
additions were made to both E. and W. ends later; in
all probability the form of the roof was altered early in
the 19th century. There are modern bay-windows to
the south and east. The main, N., elevation of the
original building is of symmetrical design with a doorway in the middle flanked by two plain rectangular
windows on either side, and five windows almost
square on the first floor; it has a plain stone plinth, a
moulded brick string at first floor-level, brick quoins
and a dentil-cornice. The doorway and semicircular
fanlight have a stone surround consisting of two three-quarter Roman Doric columns with entablature-blocks
and pedimental cornice. On the S. front, the doorway
has a moulded eared architrave with pulvinated frieze
and pediment; the two-light windows have moulded
architraves and there is a round-headed single-light
window over the doorway. The interior retains several
original features: the staircase with turned balusters
and moulded rail and a number of doorways with
moulded architraves and dentil-cornices. The N.E.
room has a fireplace and overmantel flanked by superimposed Roman Doric columns supporting a curved
broken pediment, and on either side is a recess framed
by free-standing Roman Doric columns with antae,
entablature with pulvinated frieze and segmental arch
with key-block; there is an enriched modillion-cornice
round the room and a plain panelled ceiling. The
kitchen contains a fireplace with pedimented overmantel, and several of the rooms have dentil-cornices.
The Stables, S.W. of the house, are of the same date,
with the exception of the roof which has been rebuilt
and tiled and a modern addition on the S. The middle
bays on the E. and W. are recessed, and on the E. the
angles of the building have rusticated brick quoins; the
openings have round arches with rusticated brick
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched or
covered with modern materials. Some of the buildings
have exposed ceiling-beams and original fireplaces.
(3) Manor Farm, house 225 yards N. of the church,
was built early in the 18th century and retains some of
its original stone-mullioned windows.
(4) Cottage, two tenements 35 yards N.E. of (3),
retains its original stone-mullioned windows, those of
the lower range with moulded labels.
(5) Humbers, house 320 yards N.N.E. of the church,
has a stone panel with the date 1592. Inside the
building is part of a panelled oak partition or screen,
and one fireplace has a reused moulded oak lintel of
late mediæval date.
(6) Street Farm, house opposite and N.W. of (5),
has a later addition on the E. Many of the stonemullioned windows remain, some with moulded
(7) Cottage, now Gospel Room, on the W. side of
the road 520 yards N.N.W. of the church.
(8) Cottage, 40 yards S.W. of the church, with walls
of brick in Flemish bond, is initialled and dated M.B.
1759; there is a modern N. addition. The wood-framed windows are of two and three lights.
(9) Nappers, house 220 yards S. of the church, has
walls of ashlar and roofs covered with slates. It was
built early in the 19th century. The main W. front is
divided into three bays by flat pilasters, the eaves have
a wide projection and the tripartite windows on the
ground floor are of Venetian-window shape set in
shallow round-headed sinkings. The porch has Doric
columns and entablature.
(10) Chetnole Mill, about 250 yards S.E. of the church,
has walls of ashlar. It is a mid 18th-century building
with later additions. The entrance doorway and windows on the ground floor have moulded architraves
and keystones; the first-floor windows are round-headed.
(11) House, on the S. side of a lane 480 yards S. of
the church, was built in the 16th century and later
extended or rebuilt at each end. A stone panel on
the S. front bears the date 1708. Some stone-mullioned
windows with labels remain on the ground-floor.
Inside the building, the middle room has original
moulded ceiling-beams forming eight panels.
(12) Cottage, 100 yards E. of (11), was built in the 16th
century and has a 17th-century extension on the W.
The middle room has an original ceiling with moulded
beams forming eight panels; on the E. side of the
room is an original panelled partition with chamfered
muntins and head and a doorway with a shouldered
head; the fireplace has a moulded bressummer. The
W. room has a later panelled partition, in which is a
doorway with a four-centred head. On the first floor
is another panelled partition.
(13) Chetnole Farm, house ½ m. S. of the church,
retains one stone-mullioned window. On the S. gable
are the initials and date T.D. 1689. Inside the
building, the fireplace in the middle room has moulded
stone jambs and square head; in the angle of the
chimney-breast is cut a trefoil-headed niche. The
Barn, S. of the house, has a roof of collar-beam type
and of modified crutch-construction.