30 CHIDEOCK (B.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXVII, N.E. (b)XXXVII, S.E.)
Chideock is a village and parish on the coast 3 m. W.
of Bridport. The church is the principal monument.
b(1) Parish Church of St. Giles, formerly a chapel
of Whitchurch Canonicorum, stands in the village.
The walls are of local rubble with ashlar and dressings
of the same material; the roofs are covered with tiles
and lead. The earliest part of the existing building is
the North Transept which was added to the nave, now
largely rebuilt, probably in the 14th century. The
West Tower was built early in the 15th century and
shortly afterwards the S. arcade of the Nave was built
and the South Chapel, South Aisle and South Porch were
added. The church was drastically restored in 1880,
when the Chancel was rebuilt.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (24¼ ft.
by 17 ft.) is modern except for the reconstructed 15th-century arch to the S. chapel; it is two-centred and
moulded and the moulded jambs have each three
attached shafts with moulded capitals and a chamfered
The South Chapel (11 ft. by 12 ft.) has partly restored
15th-century E. and S. windows, both of three cinque-foiled lights in a square head. The arch on the W.
side is modern.
The Nave (46½ ft. by 17 ft.) has a modern arch to the
N. transept; further W. are three windows; two are
modern, but the 15th-century middle window is of two
trefoiled lights with blind vertical tracery in a square
head; the N. wall was largely rebuilt in 1880. The
15th-century S. arcade is of four bays; the arches are
moulded and two-centred and spring from columns,
each with four attached shafts with moulded capitals
and plain plinths; the responds are in the form of
Chideock, the Parish Church of St. Giles
The North Transept (13 ft. by 17¾ ft.) has an early
14th-century E. window of three cinque-foiled lights
with tracery in a two-centred head; further S. is a
blocked 15th-century doorway to the former rood-loft staircase; it has moulded jambs and four-centred
arch in a square head with cusped spandrels; further
S. again are the N. jamb and head of a blocked opening
probably of a former squint. In the N. wall is a window with 15th-century moulded reveals but otherwise
modern. In the W. wall is a square-headed window of
The South Aisle (12 ft. wide) has, in the S. wall, three
windows similar to those in the S. chapel, except that
the westernmost has ogee heads to the lights; the
15th-century S. doorway has jambs and two-centred
arch of two chamfered orders. In the W. wall is a
window similar to that last described. The aisle,
S. chapel and porch have an embattled parapet with
The West Tower (9¾ ft. by 11 ft.) is of early 15th-century
date and of three stages with an embattled parapet
restored in 1851. The tower-arch is two-centred and
of one continuous moulded order. Above the tower-arch are the weatherings of an earlier, lower roof of
the nave. The W. doorway has moulded jambs and
two-centred arch; the W. window is of three cinque-foiled ogee lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred
head, with moulded reveals. The second stage has a
square-headed window in the W. wall. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two cinque-foiled ogee lights in a square head. At the angles of
the string below the parapet are grotesque-headed
The South Porch is of the 15th century and has an
embattled parapet. The outer archway has moulded
jambs and four-centred head; above it is a small blocked
The Roof of the tower has three cambered tie-beams
and flat joists, probably mediæval.
Fittings—Bells: five: 2nd by Thomas Bilbie at
Cullompton, 1795; 4th by the same founder, 1768; 5th
by W. Warre, 1603. Chest: In N. transept—with
panelled sides, enriched styles and rails in front, 17th-century. Door: In second stage of tower—of battens
with strap-hinges, 17th-century or earlier. Font:
octagonal bowl with quatre-foiled panels and moulded
lower edge with paterae, octagonal stem with trefoil-headed panel in each face and moulded base, 15th-century. Cover: In second stage of tower, of oak,
pyramidal, with moulded ribs and turned terminal,
17th-century. Monuments: In S. chapel—against S.
wall, (1) ascribed to Sir John Arundel, mid 16th-century,
altar-tomb and effigy, probably of touch, in wall-recess
with moulded four-centred arch and indent of brass
shield; altar-tomb with panelled front and ends, front
with balusters at ends and between the bays, indent of
brass shields on three front panels, moulded slab formerly with brass inscription-fillet; effigy (Plate 24) in
plate-armour of archaic form, head on cushion, feet on
dog, helmet with raised visor. In N. transept—on E.
wall, (2) to William Fitzherbert, 1761, and Ann (Wood-house) his wife, 1765, white marble cartouche and
second cartouche above with painted shield-of-arms
now illegible; on W. wall, (3) to Simeon Bullen, 1822,
and Elizabeth (Fitzherbert) his wife, 1819, sarcophagusshaped wall-monument of white marble with shield-of-arms (see Charmouth, Church fittings: Monument 6).
In churchyard—(4) to Thomas Daniell, 1670, Margaret
his wife, 1689–90, and Angelet, wife of Thomas Daniell
jun., 1668, table-tomb with coped top and arched
panels and fluted pilasters at sides. Plate: includes a
pair of cups of mediæval design and a paten all of 1848.
Miscellanea: Built into N. wall of nave—carved stop of
grotesque-headed human figure, mediæval.
b(2) Chideock Castle, moated site, 300 yards N.E.
of the church, consists of a square moated enclosure
with outworks to the W. and S. The moat, now dry,
has been largely filled in on the N. side and there are
remains of foundation-mounds etc., on the island.
There is a strong outer bank to the W. and along part
of the S. side. There are further works to the W.
including a series of sinkings or basins along the
stream, which may have served to feed a mill. The
gatehouse, drawn by Buck, was destroyed in 1741.
a(3) Chideock Manor, house 650 yards N. of the
church, has been rebuilt in modern times, but incorporates some features from earlier buildings. The
fireplace in the hall has a late 15th-century stone lintel,
said to have come from the castle; it has four quatre-foiled and sub-cusped panels enclosing paterae and
shields, one parted palewise and the other paly; above
is a band of cusped panels. In the kitchen is a 16th-century stone fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head, with the initials M.M.
and a device in the spandrels, and an enriched panel
above with a rose in a quatrefoil. In the garden-wall,
N. of the house, is a doorway of reused materials;
the jambs are formed of portions of 15th-century stone
panels and the head is a late 16th or early 17th-century
four-centred arch of stone. In the same wall are two
17th-century stone-mullioned windows. In a wall to
the W. of the house are two more 17th-century
windows, a stone with the initials and date I. and H.I.
1604 and two carved heads.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century; the walls are of stone
and the roofs are thatched. Some of the buildings
have exposed ceiling-beams and original fireplaces.
b(4) House, on the N. side of the road, 70 yards E.
of the church, retains a number of original stone
windows, including two in front of five lights.
b(5) Appletrees, cottage, 110 yards E. of (4), is partly
built of cob-walling.
b(6) Cottage, 50 yards E. of (5), retains a stone window
of five lights with a label and a four-light window at
the back, with an oak frame.
b(7) Cottage, formerly Knapp Cottage, 50 yards E.
of (6), was built c. 1500, but has been much restored
and has a modern addition at the back. The middle
room has an open timbered ceiling with original
moulded beams forming sixteen panels.
b(8) Park Farm Cottages, house 500 yards E. of the
church, retains a number of original three-light stone
windows and a moulded string-course between the
storeys. To the E. of the house is a 17th-century
b(9) Bridge Court, house on the S. side of the road
100 yards E.S.E. of the church, has been much altered
but retains some original stone windows.
b(10) House, opposite the W. end of the church,
now forms the S. wing of a larger building.
b(11) Warren, house 50 yards W. of the church,
has been much altered and has later additions at the
back. It retains some original stone windows with
labels. Inside the building are some original muntin
and plank partitions.
b(12) House, on the E. side of the road 110 yards
S.E. of the church, was built probably early in the
18th century and has 18th-century brick chimney-stacks.
b(13) Roadstead Farm, house 10 yards S. of (12), was
built probably early in the 16th century. The middle
room has an open timbered ceiling with original
b(14) Cottage, 140 yards S.S.W. of (13), was built
b(15) Cottage, on the W. side of the road 130 yards S.
of the church, has cob-walls.
b(16) Cob Cottage, immediately N. of (15), has cobwalls.
b(17) Gate Farm, house 330 yards N. of the church,
was built probably early in the 18th century and retains
an oak-framed window of that date.
a(18) Keeper's Lodge, 270 yards N.E. of (17).
a(19) Champ's Land Farm, house (Plate 43) ¾ m. N.
of the church, has been much altered.
a(20) Cottage, 250 yards W. of (19).
a(21) Barn, on S. side of Carter's Lane 5/8 m. N.N.W.
of the church, is of coarse ashlar and is divided in two,
the E. being the original 17th-century building, the W.
an 18th-century addition with old materials reused.
The E. gable was partly rebuilt in rubble in 1845. The
window heads have large voussoirs and keystones.
a(22) House, on the W. side of the road 1,000 yards
N.N.W. of the church, with walls of ashlar was built
c. 1700; the porch is a later addition. The E. and W.
ends are gabled and the two light wood-framed windows have stone voussoirs.
b(23) Frogmore Farm, house 1,550 yards E. of the
church, is modern except for the E. wing, which retains
some original moulded oak window-frames. The
barn to the E. is of the 17th century.